Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Ambrose Burnside posted:

thanks much. i'm actually working on a few different mechanical computers atm, the ball-and-disc is the only one i'm physically prototyping at this point.
here's a much weirder, less conventional device I'm designing based on a research paper published in the January 1901 issue of The American Mathematical Monthly https://www.jstor.org/stable/2970154 - a *hydraulic* square root extractor, based on Archimedean water displacement combined with a very particularly-shaped paraboloid float + scale, which extracts square roots (or cube roots, or etc- just change the float's profile) from an input *mass*.

the system consists of a watertight vessel with a known inner volume + with a lid fitted with several ports and bushings; a hook gauge that can be finely-adjusted using a thumbscrew; and the parabola float, whose " function f(x) is selected such that the weight W of the displaced water equals to nth power of a given number: y = x2 * sq rt(πW/2) ", with a shaft and a scale plate on its end. you fill the vessel partway with water so the mandrel floats freely while sliding in the bearing in the lid, measure the 'zero level' with the screw-adjusted hook gauge, then add X grams to the scale; the water level change is measured by the gauge and translated into weight by a scale on the gauge/vessel, representing the extracted square root of the input

why haven't i printed any of this yet? because it turns out it looks like a buttplug floating in a canister of barbasol. does not impress like a ball-disc integrator does

To be fair the other one is not better. Saying the name aloud sounds suspiciously like ball disintegrator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Deviant posted:

File -> Export Plate as STL

Did that but it just exported the model as an stl. I didn't have the supports on our anything though, maybe that's it. I'll try it again later on. Wish they had paint on supports. Clicking 900 times for little tiny addons is annoying.

Lychee is supposed to have the mega 8k added to the next release, which is supposed to be at the end of the month 🤞

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Did that but it just exported the model as an stl. I didn't have the supports on our anything though, maybe that's it. I'll try it again later on. Wish they had paint on supports. Clicking 900 times for little tiny addons is annoying.

Lychee is supposed to have the mega 8k added to the next release, which is supposed to be at the end of the month 🤞

?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
https://www.anycubic.com/products/photon-mono-x-resin-printer?variant=35863672520866

Anycubic has their Photon Mono X in a "pre Black Friday" sale for $499, down from $759.

I'm loving my Prusa mini and am tempted but frankly I'm kinda scared of resin printers. It would need to be installed in my house, and I'm concerned about proper ventilation. The room I have my Prusa in is my home office where I spend full workweeks and I don't want to get cancer from printing stuff.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

You don't want to put a resin printer in a room you regularly spend time in just because of the smell. Any time you open the lid or do anything with the liquid resin you're committing to the room having an acrid plastic smell for the next few hours.

If you have a garage or workshop that is the perfect place for it.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

You don't want to put a resin printer in a room you regularly spend time in just because of the smell. Any time you open the lid or do anything with the liquid resin you're committing to the room having an acrid plastic smell for the next few hours.

With the exception that resin doesnt work good in the cold. even the swamplands of FL get down to the 40s-50s in winter months

Today's project:

I took a fish head out to see a movie
didn't have to pay to get it in.

I hate those seam blobs, but on such a round object there's nothing to be done.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Nov 17, 2021

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Sagebrush posted:

Also the whole toxicity thing.

drat, imagine if somebody's cat got resin on it.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Sagebrush posted:

i wouldn't put it that strongly- if you take pains to keep your work area very clean and seal all your resin and resin-working tools up in gasketed containers when not in use I find the smell is quite manageable, even without a super-intense enclosure/air filtering for the actual printer. you can't smell anything unless you're standing at the workbench, and even then it's pretty faint. that's not saying anything about the health/safety aspect, ofc, and maybe i'm just more tolerant of it than other people, idk

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Ambrose Burnside posted:

i wouldn't put it that strongly- if you take pains to keep your work area very clean and seal all your resin and resin-working tools up in gasketed containers when not in use I find the smell is quite manageable, even without a super-intense enclosure/air filtering for the actual printer. you can't smell anything unless you're standing at the workbench, and even then it's pretty faint. that's not saying anything about the health/safety aspect, ofc, and maybe i'm just more tolerant of it than other people, idk

I had a horrible reaction to the resin at first and my printer was in the basement while I primarily was 2 floors above it. If you're sensitive to it I don't think there's anything you can do to avoid it short of having your printer in an area that is completely separate from your living space. In my case my reaction went away after a few days.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Deviant posted:

I hate those seam blobs, but on such a round object there's nothing to be done.

Tune your retraction?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Tune your retraction?

I mean, I don't get any stringing, and this is on my Mk3S, which has been perfect up till now. I think it just doesn't have a good place to hide them on this particular model.

It's on multiple rolls of dry filament, and didn't happen anywhere else. Short of calibrating my extruder steps or extrusion multiplier, I'm not sure what i'd change.

I am printing at close to 100mm/s for perimeters, which is double the defaults, so maybe my linear advance isn't keeping up. I'll try a benchy a way or two when I have time.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Nov 17, 2021

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Version 2 of my nozzle cam is becoming quite the chore, I wanted it to have a removable plug at the hotend and it has caused me a lot of headaches.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Interestingly, I am using a custom profile on Prusaslicer, so this bit of gcode isn't firing:
code:
; Don't change E values below. Excessive value can damage the printer.
{if print_settings_id=~/.*(DETAIL @MK3|QUALITY @MK3).*/}M907 E430 ; set extruder motor current{endif}
{if print_settings_id=~/.*(SPEED @MK3|DRAFT @MK3).*/}M907 E538 ; set extruder motor current{endif}
So I wonder if I'm overextruding when using non Prusa profiles?

Also maybe I'm reading this wrong, but this gcode:
pre:
M900 K{if printer_notes=~/.*PRINTER_MODEL_MINI.*/ and nozzle_diameter[0]==0.6}0.12{elsif printer_notes=~/.*PRINTER_MODEL_MINI.*/ and nozzle_diameter[0]==0.8}0.06{elsif printer_notes=~/.*PRINTER_MODEL_MINI.*/}0.2{elsif nozzle_diameter[0]==0.8}0.01{elsif nozzle_diameter[0]==0.6}0.04{else}0.05{endif} ; Filament gcode LA 1.5
{if printer_notes=~/.*PRINTER_MODEL_MINI.*/};{elsif printer_notes=~/.*PRINTER_HAS_BOWDEN.*/}M900 K200{elsif nozzle_diameter[0]==0.6}M900 K18{elsif nozzle_diameter[0]==0.8};{else}M900 K30{endif} ; Filament gcode LA 1.0p
is producing this output:
code:
M900 K0.04 ; Filament gcode LA 1.5
M900 K20 ; Filament gcode LA 1.0
I'd expect that to produce 0.05 considering that my nozzle is 0.4, and would make nozzle_diameter[0]==0.4? And I don't know where the hell "M900 K20" is coming from.

Edit: A reslice fixed the K issue, i wonder if that was my problem. I can't check now, the printer is working.

Edit Edit: M907 is extruder current, not E steps. :think:

Edit Edit Edit: I'll do some more reading and maybe some calibration.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Nov 17, 2021

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Welp, that's not on my screen. At least I know the hotkey now.

My supports icon looks like a polygon over a bunch of lines with a flat _ at the bottom. Wonder if it's an fdm vs sla thing or if there's just a thingie I gotta click....

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

My supports icon looks like a polygon over a bunch of lines with a flat _ at the bottom. Wonder if it's an fdm vs sla thing or if there's just a thingie I gotta click....

I think you're thinking of the place on face button?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Are you using an old version of the software? They only added paint on supports in 2.3.0 iirc.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Well at least we know where all that extra money goes when you buy a Prusa

https://twitter.com/_P3t3rp4nd4/status/1460994503100313611

Zorro KingOfEngland
May 7, 2008

Prusa XL preorders are up https://www.prusa3d.com/product/original-prusa-xl-2/

I'm in for a two-toolhead kit. I'm ready to be hurt again, Prusa.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

That's neat that they're not just making it a bigger printer but also folding in the optional toolchanging stuff to it. It's way out of my price range, I'm happy with my $200 Sunlu S8 that's been good since I replaced the stock extruder. Also "Original Prusa XL shipping is scheduled for Q2-Q3 2022". Ouch, but I guess it's understandable with the entire world having supply chain issues and likely high demand.

Zorro KingOfEngland
May 7, 2008

With prusa's shipping track record I expect to have this thing in my hands by Q1 23.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I mean, fully loaded and assembled:

I hate being at the low end of middle class sometimes because I want one.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Put a deposit down for a 5 tool. Seems like I can change my mind and downgrade it to a 1 or 2 tool later? And you can upgrade the number of ends you have, so that's neat.

I'm just so tired of my MMU, and this is a chance to loving yeet it into the trash, for the low, low price of 2 MK3s!

Oh gently caress this would make it super practical to turn into a plotter etc

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Ambrose Burnside posted:

I find that a very, very small amount of ventilation is really all you need to avoid pretty much 100% of the smell. My "enclosure" is a kitchen cabinet frame with no front and a computer fan installed on the side that sucks air through a portable AC window kit and a charcoal filter. You can't smell anything even when you're standing right in front of the printer with the lid off. It definitely smells like IPA over there when I'm doing stuff, though.

But yeah, I don't know that I'd be super thrilled with putting a resin printer in an area that's routinely occupied. I've got mine in a corner of a very large family room and the only other thing down there is gym equipment on the opposite end. I'd probably want things more sealed up if I actually had to be sitting near the printer on a regular basis, but I really don't think it's necessary to shove them in a basement or a garage if you can adequately deal with the fumes.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9peACH52KTo

It's a little cheaper than I expected. Lots of cool features that already exist in the 3d printing world, but not so (presumably) well integrated.

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Nov 18, 2021

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
n/m

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Hypnolobster posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9peACH52KTo

It's a little cheaper than I expected. Lots of cool features that already exist in the 3d printing world, but not so (presumably) well integrated.

I was wondering what that poo poo around the base was for (a built-in draft enclosure that you can raise/lower as needed).

Also drat, I'm liking the tool calibration approaching how it works in traditional CNC machines.

...gently caress, I may put a deposit down just so I can get it later.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
The Prusa XL is, frankly, underpriced for what you're getting there. I'm really impressed. The development time is entirely justified.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Toolchanger is awesome (and again, their implementation of it will be the best available to normal people), the little QOL features are all great and hopefully trickle down to the rest of their printers (and the rest of the market).

I do hope they have an enclosure addon. It's still full of printed parts and presumably they're all PETG, but it would at least be capable of passive heating from the bed and do fairly large ABS prints without a problem. Beyond printers being Not poo poo, I think one of the next real steps forwards is bringing higher temp filaments to normal people to hopefully encourage printers to be more useful.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
How the gently caress can they make something with a toolchanger that can get each hotend in the right position within small fraction of a mm every time for a few thousand dollars?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Hypnolobster posted:

I do hope they have an enclosure addon.

It looks integrated in the video you posted a link to, though to be fair it's a "blink and you'll miss it" thing where they raise an accordion-style enclosure from the bottom of the frame.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

withak posted:

How the gently caress can they make something with a toolchanger that can get each hotend in the right position within small fraction of a mm every time for a few thousand dollars?

The technique they are using dates back to the industrial revolution and only requires a few pieces of precisely machined geometry.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinematic_coupling

Ima definitely get one of these for the lab with all five tool heads. Hell yeah 🥰

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

withak posted:

pretty much just economies of scale. The required technology is very mature and has enabled CNC machine tools + modern precision manufacturing since the days when CNC was just NC, but almost always in very large commercial machines that aren’t produced in large quantities. miniaturized toolchanging has been a holy grail of garage CNC machinists for like 30 years but that demand probably amounts to a couple thousand hobbyists with budget micro machining setups across the planet, only a few hundred of which are serious enough to warrant a tool changer, so it hasn’t been commercialized in a package for consumers. enter FDM 3d printing and the market becomes millions of people; suddenly you aren’t hand-building toolchanger units and cost per part plummets

Ambrose Burnside fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Nov 18, 2021

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

gently caress me running

in for a 1 toolhead, since it's refundable and expandable

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder

canyoneer posted:

https://www.anycubic.com/products/photon-mono-x-resin-printer?variant=35863672520866

Anycubic has their Photon Mono X in a "pre Black Friday" sale for $499, down from $759.

I'm loving my Prusa mini and am tempted but frankly I'm kinda scared of resin printers. It would need to be installed in my house, and I'm concerned about proper ventilation. The room I have my Prusa in is my home office where I spend full workweeks and I don't want to get cancer from printing stuff.

I've been going back an forth on a resin printer for a few weeks, this pushed me over the edge! Ordered...

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
My problem is that I could afford the Prusa, but really shouldn't buy it.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

so I am still getting some seam artifacts:

The only things I can think is that I'm either under-retracting, over-extruding, or I need to recalibrate my Linear Advance to accomodate the fact that i'm printing at these speeds (or slow the gently caress down):

Thoughts? I was going to do a benchy at those speeds with my seam set to 'random' and see if my benchy comes out with blobs all over it and go from there.
Second, possibly also do a benchy with one of prusa's stock profile with the same seam config to see if the problem goes away.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I'm just going to throw out there that if those seams upset you that you really should have gone for a resin printer because a visible seam wherever layer transitions align is always going to be a thing in FDM.

You can minimize it or move it to a different location in a model, but if you want it gone completely you are going to have to invest some effort in post-processing.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

What does 5 tool changing mean for me, exactly

If I've got a great big print, can I do the main body in 1.0mm nozzle in blue to print fast and large, and then for the detail work can I switch to yellow with a 0.1mm nozzle

With multiple heads can you print 5 color without needing a "tailing tower" or whatever those multicolor splicing systems use

Presumably prusaslicer will support tool changing Soon™ but how much work is involved to take an STL from thingverse and "paint" the model with the tools desired etc?

Seriously considering putting down the $200 for the 5 tool change, assuming that probably won't ship until 2023. By then it will cost $4000

I can't fathom paying a Thousand Goddamn Dollars for a pre-tweaked ender 3, but the tool change corexy looks like a genuinely cool product with a lot of value add

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
They have demoed the next Prusaslicer beta showing a material/color painting tool similar to the support painting tool that is in there now. It appeared to be a pretty fiddly manual process, not sure if there exists any official way to make something like an stl with the differing colors/materials built in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Hadlock posted:

What does 5 tool changing mean for me, exactly

If I've got a great big print, can I do the main body in 1.0mm nozzle in blue to print fast and large, and then for the detail work can I switch to yellow with a 0.1mm nozzle

With multiple heads can you print 5 color without needing a "tailing tower" or whatever those multicolor splicing systems use

Presumably prusaslicer will support tool changing Soon™ but how much work is involved to take an STL from thingverse and "paint" the model with the tools desired etc?

Seriously considering putting down the $200 for the 5 tool change, assuming that probably won't ship until 2023. By then it will cost $4000

I can't fathom paying a Thousand Goddamn Dollars for a pre-tweaked ender 3, but the tool change corexy looks like a genuinely cool product with a lot of value add

For me it would be if I had some monstrosity model that I wanted different sections in different materials, I would model and cut up that model into different STL files (with a common origin point in the model space) and then assign a tool head to each STL with it's own settings.

Like, if I was printing drone parts or something and wanted flexible filament in section of a frame and rigid filament in other sections of the frame (like if I wanted to sheathe a rigid skeleton in a soft/flexible TPU for shock absorption, and then have basic PLA as support material everywhere else so the support easy to remove, but that's only 3 print heads, not sure about a 5 material combination).

Multi-color printing with 5 colors is just a gimmick when paint exists, so the only real use I could see is multi-material in the same print job.

withak posted:

They have demoed the next Prusaslicer beta showing a material/color painting tool similar to the support painting tool that is in there now. It appeared to be a pretty fiddly manual process, not sure if there exists any official way to make something like an stl with the differing colors/materials built in.

.3mf files have historically contained material or color specifications for the industrial machines that are capable of multi-material prints. You just need 3d modeling software that is capable of embedding that information in the .3mf file.

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Nov 18, 2021