Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

So what's the flu and booster situation? Same day OK, otherwise wait three weeks? Give no fucks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

one third as likely to get infected, half as likely to need hospitalization :ok:

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Data is from July 4th-September 25th

CDC really, really wants to pretend the last 2 months didn't happen

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Wait time for testing is 4-5 days in some places now. Who could have foreseen this? :lmao:

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

genericnick posted:

So what's the flu and booster situation? Same day OK, otherwise wait three weeks? Give no fucks?

Yeah I just got both and didn't feel any worse than when I got just the a pfizer shot before. The main difference is that both shoulders hurt.

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

genericnick posted:

Novavax study came out this week showing a flu shot given at the same time as their COVID booster doesn't affect the flu shot, but it decreases antibodies of the COVID booster

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I just remembered that one tweet months ago from someone pondering if home ecmo could be a thing and got a hearty chuckle.

Thanks for the memories, covid

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Tzen posted:

honestly surprised it took them this long to get the machine burrrrring
then again, they were claiming victory and all the credit in may
so of course only NOW are they seeing that this isn't turning around
anyways better do nothing!!

repeatedly declaring covid to be over hasn't worked, and the only other arrow in the quiver is blaming the other guy

anything materially effective would upset the donors

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

McNugget Buddy posted:

https://twitter.com/StevePhillipsMD/status/1460048143970619396

All those sick chuds in Florida were curing themselves and de facto vaccinating themselves at the same time

McNugget Buddy posted:

It's possibly even longer - they've only monitored people for 8 months thus far

Unfortunately, the analysis isn't designed to show that the protection lasts for 8 months, just that the exposure-risk-averaged protection over months 2-8 is ~80%. Because effectiveness is averaged over such a long period of time, it's entirely possible that protection wanes significantly by month eight but the waning is obscured by early effectiveness. This would be especially true if most of the exposure risk was early in the trial, but even a later bump in August might not be enough for waning protection to be obvious.

It's also possible that it's still effective at eight months, it's just not possible to tell from the reported analysis (and probably not with their sample size).

Petey posted:

couple of disconnected thoughts after catching up on two days of posts

regen-cov
* i don't know how to evaluate the study about 8 month efficacy, but i wouldn't be surprised if the immunity was lasting comparably long to the two-shot series of vaccines, and it might explain on the margin why heavily regen'd places are doing better than un-boosted places
* it's worth revisiting all the different ways you or your vulnerable loved ones could qualify for post-exposure prophylaxis administration of regen-cov and take an opportunity if you can get it

That's interesting - do we know regeneron coverage rates? It's expensive to use as an alternative to vax+regular boosters but that's pretty on-point for stupid chuds.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
posting on the page number that matches the year it must be, everyone i know is back to normal WOOOOOOOOO*COUGH*

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

genericnick posted:

CDC already updated guidance to say there's no issue with getting both shots on the same day.

Same please get the flu shot so you will protected before you transform into a crocodile.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

SplitSoul posted:

Wait time for testing is 4-5 days in some places now. Who could have foreseen this? :lmao:

To get tested or to receive results? I know you're not in the USA

It was like... Two business days to get tested, another two to get results here in the rear end end of new york

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Gunshow Poophole posted:

To get tested or to receive results? I know you're not in the USA

It was like... Two business days to get tested, another two to get results here in the rear end end of new york

:denmark:

To get tested. They reintroduced rapid tests a few weeks ago and immediately scrapped them again. PCR had been scaled back massively and they can't scale back up fast enough to keep up with demand. Coronapass was reintroduced last Friday, so that's a factor as well.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

These are unadjusted crude population rates. It's pretty likely that their underestimating the individual-level hospitalization & death protection by quite a bit because younger people and people at less risk are also less likely to be vaccinated.

Crude rates can be useful for eg hospital administration looking for what expect in incoming patients, but they're definitely not useful for determining individual effectiveness. It's a bit weird to see the CDC release numbers that can be easily misinterpreted as underselling vaccines - usually it's the other way around!

E: The hospitalization and death rates were also conditional on having a COVID protection, meaning breakthroughs themselves. The lack of adjustment for risk factors still means that it's impossible to say anything about individual-level risk, though.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Nov 18, 2021

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1461394960670871552

quote:

Sars-Cov-2 originated in bats and may have moved to humans via a still unidentified animal intermediary. Combined evidence from natural transmission and lab experiments suggests that the virus can infect most mammals, though unlike flu it does not infect birds.

Susceptibility varies substantially and unpredictably between species. “We are very fortunate that studies show the main farm animals — pigs, cattle and sheep — to be quite resistant to infection, unlike white-tailed deer,” said Keith Hamilton, OIE’s head of preparedness and resilience. “It would be a disaster if they were highly susceptible too.”

Cats, particularly large cat species such as lions, tigers and leopards, seem to be more susceptible than dogs, said Ken Smith, professor of pathology at the Royal Veterinary College in London.

quote:

Zoetis, the animal health company spun out of Pfizer, has developed a vaccine based on Sars-Cov-2 spike proteins which can be adapted for a wide range of species. Farmed mink are being inoculated on a substantial scale but Covid vaccines are not generally available for pets.

You'd think Pfizer would be churning out Zoetis for cats and dogs by now

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

fosborb posted:

how fast did we do the initial wave of old people?

the press says

quote:

At least 2.6 million kids have received a shot, White House COVID-19 coordinator Jeff Zients said Wednesday, with 1.7 million doses administered in the last week alone, roughly double the pace of the first week after approval. It's more than three times faster than the rate adults were vaccinated at the start of the nation's vaccination campaign 11 months ago.

but obviously the early rollout was slow because there weren't any available doses. the 7 day average when biden was sworn in was 900k a day, which was basically for seniors only at that point. so yeah, this is pretty pathetic - that's about 250k a day over the last week for kids, and there's less than 3x as many seniors as the age 5-11. we're vaccinating them way slower despite complete infrastructure + supply

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

only 7x less likely to die ahahahahahahaahahahahaahahaha

:crackping:

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Cup Runneth Over posted:

only 7x less likely to die ahahahahahahaahahahahaahahaha

:crackping:

So still worse than flu lol.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Why the gently caress did they tweet this , this is devastatingly bad . It doesn't even seem right because it has to be looking at unboosted old death rate vs non boosted youngs (since basically every old has at least one shot). Also phrasing it as a risk within just covid people makes it look worse than it is

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
There is a deer huddled against the corner of the mri building. Covid does make you magnetic!

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
only 7 times less likely? not worth the trouble of getting vaxxed

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Delta-Wye posted:

one third as likely to get infected, half as likely to need hospitalization :ok:

Sounds like good odds to me, now let's go get brunch

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Consummate Professional posted:

only 7 times less likely? not worth the trouble of getting vaxxed

7x less likely if you caught it, but you're also 3x less likely to catch it. They shouldn't have broken the numbers out this way and just said 3x better vs infection, 6x vs hospital, 21x death

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

Why the gently caress did they tweet this , this is devastatingly bad . It doesn't even seem right because it has to be looking at unboosted old death rate vs non boosted youngs (since basically every old has at least one shot)

It's worse than that - it's crude, unadjusted population rates. It's literally impossible to say anything about individual-level protection from this analysis.

It's super weird to see the CDC post misleading population-level analyses that make vaccines look worse, because usually it's the other way around. Their utter aversion to meaningful analysis is really goddamn annoying.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Thoguh posted:

Epidemiology twitter is crack pinging and there are a small but increasing amount of tweets like this.

https://twitter.com/datadrivenmd/status/1461145949800046592?s=21
lol this was me back when the masks came off in may/june
thankfully nowadays masks are back on and i don't quite feel that way when going into a place
still avoid taking anyone with me when i can though

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Stickman posted:

Unfortunately, the analysis isn't designed to show that the protection lasts for 8 months, just that the exposure-risk-averaged protection over months 2-8 is ~80%. Because effectiveness is averaged over such a long period of time, it's entirely possible that protection wanes significantly by month eight but the waning is obscured by early effectiveness. This would be especially true if most of the exposure risk was early in the trial, but even a later bump in August might not be enough for waning protection to be obvious.

That's a good-point wrt the time frame, vaccine-derived immunity at 2 months is quite a bit different than 8 months.

How exactly would Regeneron provide more durable protection than vaccines anyways? It's still just antibodies that presumably degrade or are filtered from the blood at the same rate as naturally derived ones, and without the benefit of replenishment by plasma cells. Maybe if the initial Regeneron infusion is so large it produces a significantly larger concentration of neutralizing antibodies compared to vaccines even out to multiple months, otherwise don't see how it's possible.

edit:

Tzen posted:

lol this was me back when the masks came off in may/june
thankfully nowadays masks are back on and i don't quite feel that way when going into a place
still avoid taking anyone with me when i can though

My kids haven't been inside any other place other than our apartment for over ~16 months, aside from the doctor's or dentist's office. Their next trip to the grocery store is going to blow their minds.

Nocturtle fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Nov 18, 2021

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

genericnick posted:

give no fucks

Elea
Oct 10, 2012
No major side effects except soreness from my Pfizer booster. Endless vaccines will go easier for me than others it seems. :cool:

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

silicone thrills posted:

King Countys outcomes tracker is finally showing the last month again.

LOOKIN GOOD FOLKS

https://kingcounty.gov/depts/health/covid-19/data/vaccination-outcomes.aspx

clicking on relative risk trend of cases made me feel great about where things are heading

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Nocturtle posted:

Still see masked parents in grocery stores with their young unmasked child and it always flummoxes me. What thought process gets you to that point?

edit: Most likely the kid just won't tolerate a mask, which does happen
these parents are dumb or insane or incompetent
kids are great at wearing masks if you properly teach them to wear them
if they are just little shits then they shouldn't come with you to the grocery store

also drives me mad seeing new parents walking down a grocery store isle with their newborn strapped to their chest
like what the gently caress is wrong with you both
one of you stay outside/in the car with your infant you dumbfucks

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Piling on to say this tweet is dumb and so loving stupid good God drat the democrats and our idiot country

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Elea posted:

No major side effects except soreness from my Pfizer booster. Endless vaccines will go easier for me than others it seems. :cool:

endless vaccine shots into my shins :getin:

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Stickman posted:

It's worse than that - it's crude, unadjusted population rates. It's literally impossible to say anything about individual-level protection from this analysis.

It's super weird to see the CDC post misleading population-level analyses that make vaccines look worse, because usually it's the other way around. Their utter aversion to meaningful analysis is really goddamn annoying.

yeah its super weird

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Elea posted:

is this cartoon supposed to be stephen pinker

he's already got the brain blockers and rubber spine

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

finally got around to fixing some issues with the animated map and added some fast forward controls. might get around to adding a slider for folks to zoom around the timeline

risk levels:

https://imgur.com/MxG7Ibm.mp4

cases per 100k:

https://i.imgur.com/GhESBnl.mp4

website with more animations (autoupdated daily with data from CovidActNow): https://anirona-wv5rtswotq-uw.a.run.app/

code: https://github.com/coronafamiliar/anirona

corona familiar fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Nov 18, 2021

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
I need numbers people! real numbers!

I must calculate my precise individual risk of brunch

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

Asproigerosis posted:

Lmao regeneron is going to be to ultimate prophylactic and the vaccines are going to give you cancer.

Is there some new data on this since the discussion in here a few days ago? Or are you just having a lol

I really don't want to have to worry about the vaccines causing cancer lmao

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Buffer posted:

I need numbers people! real numbers!

I must calculate my precise individual risk of brunch

i have your highly calibrated very scientific risk calculator right here:

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Fireside Nut posted:

Is there some new data on this since the discussion in here a few days ago? Or are you just having a lol

they're just having a lol, its not like they are a medical professional or anything :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Fireside Nut posted:

It's the latter