Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Loucks posted:

I paid something like $30 to rent a cabin at a state park. I don’t recall where you’re at, but maybe your state has something similar.

Washington, and unless you book a cabin 6 months in advance you aren't getting one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
yeah all the cabins and good camp sites for 2022 are already booked in WA and OR.

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Fair. Everyone here in the Midwest is fat and lazy and sitting in their McMansions watching tv or something idk. I made the reservation the same week.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Goons don't care about seeing other peoples smiles because they avoid looking people in the face anyway

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

yeah all the cabins and good camp sites for 2022 are already booked in WA and OR.

Yep, can't even get a tent campsite. I tried once last summer and the campground was filled with hundreds of kids so I only tried it once. Hoping next year the kids will all be back at Disneyland but I'm not hopeful.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Surely dispersed camping is a thing in states with so much wilderness. Or maybe walking deep into the woods hauling all your stuff on your back just isn’t your thing.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

Loucks posted:

Surely dispersed camping is a thing in states with so much wilderness. Or maybe walking deep into the woods hauling all your stuff on your back just isn’t your thing.

I tried that too but all my usual haunts are filled up before I can even get into the wilderness. Turns out laid off people can get to a campsite on like Wednesday while I have to wait until Saturday.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

If used car prices ever come down I'm trying to buy a 4WD SUV so I can get further up the mountain roads because my current car cannot

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
local department of health sent me a text today informing me that I was "now eligible" for a covid booster

which is very funny to me, as someone who got one in early september by going to a cvs and asking nicely

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
ugh, felt like poo poo all day today. should have taken today off instead of yesterday for the booster.

fortunately, just headache and chills, no fever or swelling or other serious stuff. can't wait to do this again soon!!

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Loucks posted:

it is, but in the cascades/olympics it can still be crowded

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
WFH appears to be allowing more people with disabilities who want a job to get one, which is nice

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

I like that ‘Alive’ is one of the mad lib words, implying that they realize it will one day be changed to ‘dead’

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Hollismason posted:

What the gently caress is a conceirge doctor anyway

rich people use lawyers so often they just send them a few grand every month as a retainer. when they get a DUI, lawsuit, trouble for touching young kids, etc. they just tell their lawyer to handle it and it''s done--no need for billing and poo poo

same thing but for a personal doctor. want some zanax, dick pills, or maybe covid booster? call doc. got a prostitute passed out in your bathroom and not sure if dead or overdosed but can't have this story getting out? call doc

edit: Eyes Wide Shut, it's more true than fiction

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Nov 19, 2021

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Joementum posted:

WFH appears to be allowing more people with disabilities who want a job to get one, which is nice

See, the pandemic caused one good thing.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Hollismason posted:

What the gently caress is a conceirge doctor anyway

:rip:

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?
hahahaHahaHAHAHA WE’RE SO hosed

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I wonder how much high deductible plans have resulted in conceierge medicine. If it’s gonna cost you ten grand before your insurance pays anything then gently caress it, might as well get something out of it.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Thoguh posted:

See, the pandemic caused one good thing.

i was really hoping getty wedding would get pelosi, but by now she probably skated through fine (or was secretly regeneroned up the entire wedding)

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

someone back when trump got sick made a cool regeneron gif

it looked all 80s VHS like

anyone still have that

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

someone back when trump got sick made a cool regeneron gif

it looked all 80s VHS like

anyone still have that

i don't have it but it was probably crusader so you could try searching his post history from that week

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

yeah you're probably right, thanks

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMIxMUYWH8Y

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

lol i guess i was thinking it was goon made content

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

wait, its spelled bornstein now? i can't keep up with this rapidly shifting reality

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

that MIGHT have been it, but i seem to remember something different

who knows i probably got covid

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

that MIGHT have been it, but i seem to remember something different

who knows i probably got covid

https://www.facebook.com/vicbergeriv/videos/mr-trump-is-sounding-great-and-was-cured-fast-by-his-great-drugs/3138234849635976/

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Stickman posted:

Unfortunately, the analysis isn't designed to show that the protection lasts for 8 months, just that the exposure-risk-averaged protection over months 2-8 is ~80%. Because effectiveness is averaged over such a long period of time, it's entirely possible that protection wanes significantly by month eight but the waning is obscured by early effectiveness. This would be especially true if most of the exposure risk was early in the trial, but even a later bump in August might not be enough for waning protection to be obvious.

It's also possible that it's still effective at eight months, it's just not possible to tell from the reported analysis (and probably not with their sample size).

That's interesting - do we know regeneron coverage rates? It's expensive to use as an alternative to vax+regular boosters but that's pretty on-point for stupid chuds.

The study was set up so the Regeneron/placebo was only offered to people that lived in a household that had within a few days had a confirmed COVID case. So I can't see how most of the infections wouldn't have happened early in the trial and their conflation of months 2-8 is IMHO done to obscure this fact.

I think it is complete bullshit.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Lacrosse posted:

I tried that too but all my usual haunts are filled up before I can even get into the wilderness. Turns out laid off people can get to a campsite on like Wednesday while I have to wait until Saturday.

I've had really good luck camping in spots just off rando forest service roads. Even places just 5-10 min from Yosemite entrances on weekends. But most actual designated campsites were such a shitshow this and last summer I've pretty much just avoided them. Idk maybe things are worse in WA.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

Morbus posted:

I've had really good luck camping in spots just off rando forest service roads. Even places just 5-10 min from Yosemite entrances on weekends. But most actual designated campsites were such a shitshow this and last summer I've pretty much just avoided them. Idk maybe things are worse in WA.

I've had good luck this year in WA, depends on where you're going

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo
Went out to the point to watch the world go by and noticed several bats doing bat things so I stayed in the car. About 10 minutes later there were hundreds of them, scoping up bugs being cute. A couple shows up a little after I noticed there were literally hundreds of bats and they walk to the edge to take some Instagram selfies, ABSOLUTELY OBLIVIOUS TO THE HUNDREDS OF BATS SWOOPING NEXT TO THEIR FACES

I'm just watching this in terror. They're dumb close to the edge of the cliff with their backs to it, bats bobbing and weaving inches from them. Not once did they appear to notice them

I had to just leave, it was too much

Also if you're at a remote location don't leave your expensive vehicle running with the doors cracked open or I'll contemplate stealing it for a joy ride

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
my office has decided to do an in person holiday party with paid travel and lodging for anyone who wants it

once I got over my mild shock, I have to admit I wrangled with the idea for longer than I should have (literally any time at all), before saying, "no, I am not going to get on mass public transit for the first time in 2 years, in the middle of the holidays during what is still a raging pandemic so that I can go drink alcohol and talk loudly indoors with other people after working in close quarters with them for 3 days when probably everyone will be Open Biden maskless at the office and definitely will be at the `semi-outdoor` social event"

Thoguh posted:

I wonder how much high deductible plans have resulted in conceierge medicine. If it’s gonna cost you ten grand before your insurance pays anything then gently caress it, might as well get something out of it.

I think anyone who can afford concierge medicine does so but it's not remotely the same classes of people. We pay $1860 a month for family insurance which also has a $9k deductible; $7700 of the latter can be paid with HSA pre-tax money, so, I just mentally figure that 1862*12 + (0.7*7700) + 1300 = 29,034 is what we are paying for base level coverage. On our particular plan, the deductible and the out of pocket max are identical, meaning that in theory once we pay that $29,034 post tax we don't pay anything else. Generally that's been true, but I also haven't done anything like go out of state and get in an accident and dragged to an ER.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Nov 19, 2021

Morbus
May 18, 2004

facetoucher cat posted:

Went out to the point to watch the world go by and noticed several bats doing bat things so I stayed in the car. About 10 minutes later there were hundreds of them, scoping up bugs being cute. A couple shows up a little after I noticed there were literally hundreds of bats and they walk to the edge to take some Instagram selfies, ABSOLUTELY OBLIVIOUS TO THE HUNDREDS OF BATS SWOOPING NEXT TO THEIR FACES

I'm just watching this in terror. They're dumb close to the edge of the cliff with their backs to it, bats bobbing and weaving inches from them. Not once did they appear to notice them

I had to just leave, it was too much

Also if you're at a remote location don't leave your expensive vehicle running with the doors cracked open or I'll contemplate stealing it for a joy ride

man those poor bats :(

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/rachelmckibbens/status/1460368038859919361?s=21

Open this thread, scroll all the way to the top, and read the screenshots

Her cousin basically murdered her brother and father

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

Morbus posted:

I've tried forest service roads in both Greenwater and Roslyn and both were packed. I haven't tried going farther afield but my friends tell me that Frenchman Coulee was a total poo poo show. He had a car drive up and park within 1 car length away from his campsite and set up shop. If I want to do any camping next summer I'll have to drive clear to Montana or something.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Lacrosse posted:

He had a car drive up and park within 1 car length away from his campsite and set up shop.

grounds for murder imo

HORSE OF THE YEAR
Jun 7, 2012

durrneez posted:

hahahaHahaHAHAHA WE’RE SO hosed

I keep seeing commercials for Black Friday shopping and I feel like I’m having a fever dream.

The fear is gone. Covid is dead, long live covid!

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
vt legislature should pass a law allowing towns to enact a mask mandate if they feel like it early next week

https://twitter.com/staterepemma/status/1461452360740491273
https://twitter.com/staterepemma/status/1461452712411807746

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pingui posted:

I think it is complete bullshit.

A double-blinded Phase III trial testing Regeneron as a preventative drug in immunocompromised patients just started last month with ~9000 participants:

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT05074433

Should be done by April - so hopefully we can Max Titers with Regeneron at that point if the results are good