Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
The trollocs are loving awesome. Seriously unsettling and scary. The scene at the ferry, yikes.

GF really found the Fade frightening, too. She was real tense in Shadar Logoth, expecting it to burst out of the shadows.

Oh, and the dreams! Holy poo poo the dreams were so unsettling, they absolutely nailed the dreams so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Wheel of time is good btw. Still haven't watched the show. Just commenting

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Do you think they'll cut the dream scene of egwene creating trollocs to rape nynaeve? Without that a lot of my egwene hate would go away, but it also kind of defines egwene as a character. Her love of power over others above all else etc

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
My god reddit is just full of people complaining about the most inconsequential details. Someone said to me without any sense of irony that "I think you are being paid by Amazon to post here" because I dared to enjoy these first episodes.

Were there things I didn't like or would have liked to seen them do a little differently? Sure. But it was overwhelmingly enjoyable to watch and I was hooked within the first 10 minutes.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

i went on reddit cause I'm thirsty for show discussion and wow they do not like it one bit lol. people are mad at a few changes from the book, like nynaeve sneaking up on/tracking Lan, or Tam getting hurt by a single trolloc :downsbravo:

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=The%20Law%20of%20Inverse%20Ninja%20Strength

speaking of tam, he doesn't look like someone who would get milves horny

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Democratic Pirate posted:

Episode 1 monster detail I liked:
Random guy dancing with Egwene gets got. I think “oh he got shot with an arrow, time for the dramatic reveal.” Nope, it’s a gigantic axe/sword almost as big as the dude. Love it.

Yea that was the moment I was 100% sold on the show. Just absolutely :black101: :getin:

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Only thing that really bothered me was the whitecloaks not saying "Hey, are you an Aes Sedai?" and then immediately murdering everyone. Also it wasn't clear why the Aes Sedai they burned was unable to channel to fight back

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

RC Cola posted:

Do you think they'll cut the dream scene of egwene creating trollocs to rape nynaeve? Without that a lot of my egwene hate would go away, but it also kind of defines egwene as a character. Her love of power over others above all else etc

I think they can easily have enough stuff to work with in terms of Egwene's personality flaws in that specific regard without having her go for that specifically. Her moves in the scenarios she creates during Nynaeve's test for the Aes Sedai shawl are very very clear, and there's enough stuff before that where she does things like make Nynaeve drink some vile tea in T'A'R as a kind of flex to set that up.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

RC Cola posted:

Maybe its been too long since I have read the books. Don't get me wrong, what Egwene does is really hosed up, but I always read it as her trying to make Nynaeve realize how dangerous it is in Tel'aran'rhiod. The Wise Ones had drilled this into Egwene by this point so it felt like she was just doing the same thing because Nynaeve did not appear to be taking the danger seriously. I know people read this part as Egwene trying to scare Nynaeve so she wouldn't tell the Wise Ones about her ignoring their rules which is fair and maybe I downplay that part because it seems really out of character.

Personally I feel like a lot of the Egwene hate is overblown, I really enjoyed her character throughout the books.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Egwene doesn't want power, she wants knowledge and to be the best at everything she does. This is pretty fundamental to her character and her motivations for leaving the Two Rivers.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Jose Valasquez posted:

Only thing that really bothered me was the whitecloaks not saying "Hey, are you an Aes Sedai?" and then immediately murdering everyone. Also it wasn't clear why the Aes Sedai they burned was unable to channel to fight back

I feel pretty confident they are going for something along the lines of hand movement being required for channeling, at least for the Aes Sedai. Moiraine uses hand motions for pretty much everything, especially the big things. So the Yellow with her hands chopped off can't channel. Might be interesting if they keep this notion when Rand loses one hand.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Egwene doesn't want power, she wants knowledge and to be the best at everything she does. This is pretty fundamental to her character and her motivations for leaving the Two Rivers.

Eh, I think being enslaved really messed her up and she has a tendency to go for control for the rest of the series due to the trauma from that. You see it come back to that again and again in her POV sections and actions.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

MrSargent posted:

Maybe its been too long since I have read the books. Don't get me wrong, what Egwene does is really hosed up, but I always read it as her trying to make Nynaeve realize how dangerous it is in Tel'aran'rhiod. The Wise Ones had drilled this into Egwene by this point so it felt like she was just doing the same thing because Nynaeve did not appear to be taking the danger seriously. I know people read this part as Egwene trying to scare Nynaeve so she wouldn't tell the Wise Ones about her ignoring their rules which is fair and maybe I downplay that part because it seems really out of character.

Personally I feel like a lot of the Egwene hate is overblown, I really enjoyed her character throughout the books.

I think it was a bunch of things at once, tbh. She was trying to get through to make a point about how dangerous TAR is, she was trying to scare Nynaeve in to doing what she wanted, and she was excited that she had finally gotten in to a position where Nynaeve HAD to listen to/respect her, and it was going to her head. (She thinks back later about how satisfying it was to finally get Nynaeve to listen to her with just a raised eyebrow, etc).

The only thing I never really felt sat right about Egwene's character is at the very end when she's so aghast that Rand is going to break the remaining seals and she absolutely lost her mind about how "my god you can't do that Rand!! I'm going to rally rules against you!"
It make sense from the point of view of "Rand has been absolutely bugfuck crazy for months", the Tower Aes Sedai don't know about the research Herid Fel and Min have been doing about sealing the bore, and Egwene has been immersed in the Aes Sedai mindset of them needing to control everything.

But it's just in such stark contrast to Rand's personality change post Dragonmount, and the fact that the prophecies do really say that he's gotta do it, and there's enough Brown sisters knocking around that they should recognize that. It would have been a good place to reinforce the change in the Tower post BA/Elaida purge, to show that, hey, the Aes Sedai really aren't a complete pack of fools and incompetents like they've been shown to be for the past 12 books.

Zore posted:

Eh, I think being enslaved really messed her up and she has a tendency to go for control for the rest of the series due to the trauma from that. You see it come back to that again and again in her POV sections and actions.

This is a very good point too.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Nov 19, 2021

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Episode Three "A Place of Safety"

Well, having written up reviews of the first two episodes after the early showing on Monday, I might as well continue the same format with my initial thoughts on episode three. This one I watched at home, by myself, in my family room. As is often the case when I watch TV at home, I had my laptop open with a game playing...Age of Wonders III in this case...but for once I didn't play a single turn while I was watching the episode, which is a rarity, as I often return to my game during commercials or slow parts. There were, of course, no commercials, but I never found any parts in the third episode slow enough to look away from it.

What happened?

This episode roughly covers chapters 21-26 of The Eye of the World, though arguably it includes material from chapters 32 and 33 as well. And there are even hints of chapter 33 from The Dragon Reborn. This shows the party split into three groups, with Nynaeve catching up with Lan and Moiraine, Perrin and Egwene meeting the Tinkers, and Rand and Mat having their first encounters with both Thom Merrilin and a Darkfriend.

What was added or changed from the books? (split chronologically by plotline)

In the pre-credit scene we see how Nynaeve survived being dragged off by the Trolloc in episode one. This is, of course, a completely new scene as Nynaeve was never taken like that in the books. It does do a nice job of showing both her cunning and ferocity, and explains why she wasn't around to object to the kids getting snatched up by Moiraine and Lan back at the end of episode one.

As someone else commented, only Nynaeve and Lan could have a meet-cute that involves attempted murder, a concussion, and bondage. :wiggle: Since Moiraine wasn't injured in the books, the added angle of Lan needing Nynaeve to heal Moiraine is new, as is Lan needing to find other Aes Sedai to complete that healing.

This naturally means that Moiraine, Lan, and Nynaeve encountering Liandrin and the other Aes Sedai holding Logain captive never occurs in the books either.

The wolves helping Egwene and Perrin is sort of in the book, but why they do so is different here (see What Was Removed Entirely below). The meeting with the Tinkers is mostly the same with a similar modification discussed below.

Rand and Mat's adventure in Breen's Spring is a compressed version of their travels from Whitebridge to Camelyn.

Meeting Thom here is, of course, new since Thom had travelled with them all the way from Emond's Field in the book. Likewise the "life lesson" Thom gives Mat, and Mat's reciprocal revenge are completely new.

The dead Aiel in a cage suggests Perrin's encounter with an imprisoned Gaul in The Dragon Reborn. Of course the Aiel here being dead is a huge change, but it does let Thom teach Mat (and the audience) a little about them.

Dana the Darkfriend is a completely new character, though she can be said to merge the Darkfriend innkeeper Gode, as well as Darkfriend Paitr and the unnamed Milli Skane the Darkfriend assassin that the boys encounter en route to Camelyn in the book. Rand escaping from her presumably using the Power is much more subtle than the bolt of lightning he uses to escape and fry Gode in the book. Dana's motivation being nihilism approaching that of Ishamael/Moridin is a divergence, as most Darkfriends in the books are entirely motivated by selfish greed and lust for power. Likewise her death at Thom's dagger rather than Rand's lightning is a change, and Rand being the one suspicious of Thom rather than a dagger-infected Mat is quite a switch as well.

What got dropped entirely?

Since the boys never met Bael Domon they also never took a boat to Whitebridge. Therefore, Thom sacrificing himself to help Mat and Rand escape the Fade in Whitebridge doesn't happen, though that may yet occur somewhere else in a future episode.

The biggest omission in this episode is the character of Elyas. In the book, the wolves help Perrin and Egwene to meet Elyas, a Wolfbrother who introduces Perrin (and the audience) to the concept of being able to speak with wolves. He's also the one who speaks to the Tinkers, rather than having Aram teach Perrin and Egwene the proper response.

Arguably one could consider the three Darkfriend encounters being compressed into just Dana as a dropping of two Darkfriend encounters, but like Thom's sacrifice we don't know for sure there won't be more Darkfriends waiting for Mat and Rand in future episodes.

What did I like?

This version of Thom is great. I love his casual smile and world weary experience. The fact that he's willing to pay respects to a dead Aiel who he's never met is very on point, and the ease with which he's become a mentor for Mat was great.

Speaking of Mat, I'm really enjoying the "clever, but not as clever as he thinks he is" interpretation of the character.

Dana the Darkfriend had me fooled. I didn't see that coming at all. I guess I was deceived by the comparisons to Gode from the book who couldn't have been more moustache twirlingly evil if he tried even before he officially betrayed Rand and Mat. The similarity of her name to Dena, Thom's lost lover/apprentice from The Great Hunt, and her proximity to Thom's introduction fooled me into thinking she'd join the team and travel with Thom for awhile before getting fridged to piss off Thom like she was in the books. (The fate of Leila proves that the show isn't above fridging a female character, alas.) Especially during that conversation with Rand where she's lamenting never being able to escape her lovely hometown, I thought for sure I knew where this was headed. But I was wrong, and I applaud the show for using my knowledge of the books against me to pull a twist I didn't expect!

Lan and Nynaeve's interactions were pretty amusing. I can certainly see what he'd see in her, though she's probably still too pissed off at him and Moiraine to feel much attraction back just yet.

Perrin's dream was nice and creepy, though I think I preferred Ba'alzamon lurking faintly outside the window to the flashes of him mid-dream.

What didn't I like?

My man Perrin got done dirty again. He and Egwene didn't really get all that much to do, though hopefully they'll get some good scenes with the Tinkers and possibly the Whitecloaks later on.

Still not loving randomly angry Rand, though I guess we could call it his default trauma response? Still, it felt backwards for Mat (who should be showing some signs of dagger taint corruption ( :rolleyes: ) by now) to trust Thom while Rand is the one being the rear end in a top hat to the guy who just saved his life.

tl;dr?

Still digging it. My only major complaint is that it sucks having to wait until next Thursday night to watch episode four!

Anything else?

I've been keeping in touch with a non-book reader friend who watched the first episode, and he's come to the conclusion that the Dragon Reborn is Mat! I'll keep checking in with him as we go to see how he interprets future episodes.

Episodes 1 & 2
Episode 4
Episode 5
Episode 6
Episode 7
Episode 8

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Dec 27, 2021

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Oh hey apparantly the reddit trolls have done some review bombing on Amazon, so if you enjoyed the show go drop a 5 star, would ya?

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

loving your recaps, thanks :hfive:

How are u posted:

Oh hey apparantly the reddit trolls have done some review bombing on Amazon, so if you enjoyed the show go drop a 5 star, would ya?

:hmmyes:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Haha reading the 1 Star Reviews is funny.

I love how the show is 55% 5 Stars, 30% 1 Stars and a couple in between. User Ratings :allears:

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

jng2058 posted:

Still not loving randomly angry Rand, though I guess we could call it his default trauma response? Still, it felt backwards for Mat (who should be showing some signs of dagger taint corruption ( :rolleyes: ) by now) to trust Thom while Rand is the one being the rear end in a top hat to the guy who just saved his life.[/spoiler]

Episode 3, There was a bit of this when Rand was getting started on the firewood. He commented that Mat was acting off. Going more subtle with it at the start seems to be the way to go, I'm sure he'll be full Gollum in a couple episodes..

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Zore posted:

I don't think that fits with the statement that Egwene wants power though. She doesn't gently caress with Nynaeve because she has power over her, she does it because Nynaeve doesn't respect her knowledge about the dangers of TAR and because Nynaeve still sees Egwene as someone she can boss around as that's been their relationship for years at that point. Egwene is a lot of things but power hungry isn't how I would describe her and I don't think it's backed up by the text.

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

Loved the first 3 episodes. I went in with the mindset of a new turning of the wheel and tried not to criticize too much

I HATED the whole Perrin has a wife thing last night

Then I read the theory she is a darkfriend, Pulled up the episode again and yep she has a hammer. I am on team gently caress you Perrin's wife you darkfriend jerk.

I want more of Thom, he felt off putting to me but also charming leaving me intrigued.

The innkeeper change definitely got me. I did not expect that turn right there but I felt that was well executed. That actress gets props for her portrayal.

Shadar Logath was beautiful in an eerie way. They should of had the trollocs still push in though, I wonder if budget concerns for having Mashadar dissolve trollocs contributed to that change

The whitecloaks. Those uniforms, that demeaner. I can't WAIT for Valda to get killed in the future. All of the white cloaks casting just popped out of the screen for me and left me with a grin.

Also: gently caress you Perrin, I'm on team Aram!

Overall, my expectations were exceeded. Some of the items I hated I think I'll be surprised about the in show-reasons for the change as we progress. Time to WAFO!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

jng2058 posted:

unnamed female Darkfriend

She was called Mili Skane and you will put respect on her name :colbert:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Rarity posted:

She was called Mili Skane and you will put respect on her name :colbert:

Oh yeah, I forgot that she shows up again later. In Ebou Dar, right? She's unnamed in Eye of the World which was what had stuck in my memory.

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi
Just watched episode 1. About half way through I was not really sold on it but by the end I'm hooked. Yes there are a few changes that I'm sure will upset some but you can already tell this is going to be epic. Episode 2 here I come

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I don't think that fits with the statement that Egwene wants power though. She doesn't gently caress with Nynaeve because she has power over her, she does it because Nynaeve doesn't respect her knowledge about the dangers of TAR and because Nynaeve still sees Egwene as someone she can boss around as that's been their relationship for years at that point. Egwene is a lot of things but power hungry isn't how I would describe her and I don't think it's backed up by the text.

yeah i feel like some people wildly misinterpret egwene just wanting to be respected by those around her for whatever reason. i remember someone talking about how it was good that she died because otherwise she would have become some power-hungry tyrant and it was incredibly baffling as poo poo and i had to wonder how the hell they beefed that up so bad.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Johnny Joestar posted:

yeah i feel like some people wildly misinterpret egwene just wanting to be respected by those around her for whatever reason. i remember someone talking about how it was good that she died because otherwise she would have become some power-hungry tyrant and it was incredibly baffling as poo poo and i had to wonder how the hell they beefed that up so bad.

It's misogyny, op

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

The issue is she gets the Mary sue treatment post waste. Maybe that trope is misogynistic but imo it's just bad writing.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Zore posted:

This is what I picked up. She can definately become significantly less hated with a few tweaks. I think if they make Gawyn less bad that would improve her character as well. Their super special awesome romance did not help with how I felt about her character.

Lots of good and cool to Egwene and I hope they address it so TV show fans don't even know why book readers hate her

Edit: Is it possible to make Gawyn a likable character? I think he's the single worst character in the entire series.

Edit 2: I hope they give us evil forsaken councils every episode when we get to season 2. Show me Be'lal evilly plotting about his evil plot to get the sword that is not a sword

RC Cola fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Nov 19, 2021

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
ed: eh

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Nov 19, 2021

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Rarity posted:

It's misogyny, op

This is the answer to nearly all of the hatred I see directed at Egwene (not really in this thread from what I have seen). It is easy to tell because 9/10 times the person uses the word "bitch" to describe her.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

I haven't watched yet, but is there any Perrin wolf stuff yet?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

RC Cola posted:

Lots

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

WAFO :colbert:

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

I have to wait for my wife to finish work. Just 7 more hours

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

wafo... wolf and find out

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

RC Cola posted:

My boy Hopper is in two episodes so far!

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Johnny Joestar posted:

this is totally alien to me because I felt like after everything she went through in unifying the tower, all of her scenes as Amyrlin, the confrontation with Mesaana, finally whipping some sense in to the Hall and the rest of the Aes Sedai who want to be scheming as usual, it's all awesome. Just a great payoff after a long arc. The only quibble is just the reflexive thing with the seals, for me.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Gwaihir posted:

this is totally alien to me because I felt like after everything she went through in unifying the tower, all of her scenes as Amyrlin, the confrontation with Mesaana, finally whipping some sense in to the Hall and the rest of the Aes Sedai who want to be scheming as usual, it's all awesome. Just a great payoff after a long arc. The only quibble is just the reflexive thing with the seals, for me.

it's also understandable that she's not immediately ready to believe he's now Buddha and everything's chill, it wasn't that long ago that he was very nearly the literal champion of darkness

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

eke out posted:

it's also understandable that she's not immediately ready to believe he's now Buddha and everything's chill, it wasn't that long ago that he was very nearly the literal champion of darkness

True...except she never got to see champion of darkness Rand. Really only Min, Nynaeve, Tam, Cadsuane, Tuon, and (very briefly) Semiraghe and Elza did.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Show owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

jng2058 posted:

True...except she never got to see champion of darkness Rand. Really only Min, Nynaeve, Tam, Cadsuane, Tuon, and (very briefly) Semiraghe and Elza did.

She's got months of reports from rulers and eyes and ears, he was not doing so hot.