Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

the only thing that isn't racist about the dothraki is their ethnic diversity. historically steppe people had a very broad range of features and you could find practically any eurasian "look" among them - genghis khan had red hair for example. this didn't hold true for every steppe people in every location but the dothraki we see are supposed to be representative of the entire essos steppe

they should be even more diverse to be accurate to reality tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TERFherder
Apr 26, 2010

уôðр ò шúурþòі úуûьúø

Whizzing Wizard posted:

I talked to a prison librarian the other day, and she told me two of the things that caused her the most trouble was contemporary artists not releasing their music on cd and trying to convince the inmates that Grrum hasn't written anything in over a decade

I saw another post about someone getting out of prison and looking forward to watching the show, and noped out after 3 episodes. I really need you to confirm that what you are saying is true. Can you please, please. Get an actual quote from them, so this isn't just a story that grows without basis. I need to believe that librarian. I need that quote on a mug or a tshirt or someshit.

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

I have zero recollection of this despite finishing the book two weeks ago.

Why does Leto II take the same name as Leto II ( The Elder )?

I like this more clitoral rendering of the worm god. It's got a real vagina dentata thing going on, as well as feeling a bit plant like.

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/dune/images/2/28/Joe-tuscany-godc.jpg/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/959?cb=20190430190547

FWIW, lots of people hate on the later books - and I get that. But I enjoyed them. Definitely stop after Chapterhouse: Dune.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

TERFherder posted:

I saw another post about someone getting out of prison and looking forward to watching the show, and noped out after 3 episodes. I really need you to confirm that what you are saying is true. Can you please, please. Get an actual quote from them, so this isn't just a story that grows without basis. I need to believe that librarian. I need that quote on a mug or a tshirt or someshit.

Why does Leto II take the same name as Leto II ( The Elder )?

I like this more clitoral rendering of the worm god. It's got a real vagina dentata thing going on, as well as feeling a bit plant like.

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/dune/images/2/28/Joe-tuscany-godc.jpg/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/959?cb=20190430190547

FWIW, lots of people hate on the later books - and I get that. But I enjoyed them. Definitely stop after Chapterhouse: Dune.

I don't have a direct quote for you, but I can tell you that the most popular fiction books in prisons are fantasy books and that prisoners generally have very restricted internet access. So someone might remember hearing or reading a news story from eight years ago that The Fucker was "nearly finished", so surely by now the new one is out right?

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

TERFherder posted:

Why does Leto II take the same name as Leto II ( The Elder )? .

The numbers dont matter until he assumes the throne/dukedom whatever. Leto is just Leto until he ascends and then gets the II. He could have a shitload of kids named leto that if they never took their station wouldnt matter. When one of the Letos finally did he'd be Leto III. Nobles are weird.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Weird blind guy: "This is my dead son Leto and my worm son who is also Leto"

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
It used to bother me that the books utterly ignore Paul's sister. She's mentioned in his very first book POV appearance, and apparently had a grisly end at the hands of the Harkonnens, and then she's gone.

Hell, even the awful prequels erase her and instead give him an older half brother that is the horribly merked.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Weird blind guy: "This is my dead son Leto and my worm son who is also Leto"

if i were a space monarch and really wanted my successor to be named leto ii, i would simply name all of my sons leto, even if i had eight of 'em

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Reboot Shawshank Redemption where Brooks makes parole after 50 years and when he discovers the books aren’t done hangs himself in despair.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

PupsOfWar posted:

if i were a space monarch and really wanted my successor to be named leto ii, i would simply name all of my sons leto, even if i had eight of 'em

That might explain George Foreman. He's a secret space monarch.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Sephyr posted:

It used to bother me that the books utterly ignore Paul's sister. She's mentioned in his very first book POV appearance, and apparently had a grisly end at the hands of the Harkonnens, and then she's gone.

Hell, even the awful prequels erase her and instead give him an older half brother that is the horribly merked.

Do you mean Gurney's sister?

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Actually, yes. I read that wrong. What the hell.

TERFherder
Apr 26, 2010

уôðр ò шúурþòі úуûьúø

PupsOfWar posted:

He who controls the naming conventions...

TERFherder
Apr 26, 2010

уôðр ò шúурþòі úуûьúø

TK-42-1 posted:

The numbers dont matter until he assumes the throne/dukedom whatever. Leto is just Leto until he ascends and then gets the II. He could have a shitload of kids named leto that if they never took their station wouldnt matter. When one of the Letos finally did he'd be Leto III. Nobles are weird.

Didn't know that, but I guess it makes sense that it would wait until they assumed the throne.

WE ARE THE BROOD KNOWN AS LETO!

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Whizzing Wizard posted:

I talked to a prison librarian the other day, and she told me two of the things that caused her the most trouble was contemporary artists not releasing their music on cd and trying to convince the inmates that Grrum hasn't written anything in over a decade

haha

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

deliberate targeting of civvies are all generally far more a thing to be found in modernity, than in the medieval period.

nah

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

quote:

I have working, yes, yes… but not on the railroad. I have been writing WINDS OF WINTER, editing three new Wild Cards books, sitting down with some amazing screenwriters and showrunners to create three hundred and seventeen new GAME OF THRONES successor shows for HBO and HBO Max, and serving as executive producer on various other television and film projects in various stages of development, including DARK WINDS for AMC, JOKERTOWN for Peacock, ROADMARKS and WHO FEARS DEATH for HBO. Oh, and I was the executive producer on our (recently wrapped) short film of Howard Waldrop’s NIGHT OF THE COOTERS. So I have been working. Maybe too bloody hard, but that’s another tale for another blog post… though these days even finding the time to blog is hard).

i'm going to become the jokertown

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I have working

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

lol after the pandemic where he was basically forced to write some of WoW because he was trapped in his house with literally nothing else to do he’s never ever gonna write a single word for it again.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Tarnop posted:

I have working

This is the kind of expert writing that wins you all those Hugos

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I love George posting these useless blogs of poo poo no one cares about because it always brings out these people by the dozens.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The username makes that one delicious :allears:

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I love George posting these useless blogs of poo poo no one cares about because it always brings out these people by the dozens.

Preparing early for St Patrick’s Day by getting blackout drunk and posting through it.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Klungar posted:

Preparing early for St Patrick’s Day by getting blackout drunk and posting through it.

It’s the only way to really process this poo poo.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Continuing my GoT rewatch and I'm up to season 4, and it's where you really see cracks start to form, but I only have two solid thoughts right now:

1) Those first two seasons are so dense. You could stop an episode every five minutes and have a twenty minute discussion about those five minutes in terms of things like characterization, plot, foreshadowing, dialogue, etc. Starting in 3 and 4, the show starts farting around a whole lot and wasting time with absolute nothing scenes.

2) They love their comedy in battle scenes. Every battle seems to try to start out with a foreboding atmosphere, then a dark turn, then a bunch of out-of-place slapstick comedy deaths. I've noticed this is common in American war movies, even the most supposedly reverent and respectful ones like Saving Private Ryan. It always reminds me of the Phantom Menace production crew having that "I may have gone too far in some places" conversation.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

People can give the megafranchise and Disney as much poo poo as they possibly want, but it's hard to overstate how big it was to just have no dialogue and a long pan over a bunch of sad characters to music in Avengers: Endgame at the end. Just... letting a moment breathe for more than a few seconds to establish what it's supposed to be.

We're very, very heavily conditioned in the US that mass entertainment has to hit all four quadrants or w/e the gently caress, under the presumption that you can gently caress with each one to an extent (e.g: put humor into a serious scene, or a serious scene next to a humorous one) and stretch each demo to its limits in order to hit the others. It's often hidden under the pretext of "You have to change it up or the audience will get bored, they can't sit in one feeling too long." The bigger the project, the more likely you'll see this-- thus why even in Saving Private Ryan you get the cool/funny death scenes that play out like they're from a different movie entirely.

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

1) Those first two seasons are so dense. You could stop an episode every five minutes and have a twenty minute discussion about those five minutes in terms of things like characterization, plot, foreshadowing, dialogue, etc. Starting in 3 and 4, the show starts farting around a whole lot and wasting time with absolute nothing scenes.
Gonna be harsh and say that this is more because you know all of the extra details from the books. I think for show-watchers it was just "well the sets and costumes are nice and I sure do like these actors, and it's the big popular thing so"

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

2) They love their comedy in battle scenes. Every battle seems to try to start out with a foreboding atmosphere, then a dark turn, then a bunch of out-of-place slapstick comedy deaths. I've noticed this is common in American war movies, even the most supposedly reverent and respectful ones like Saving Private Ryan. It always reminds me of the Phantom Menace production crew having that "I may have gone too far in some places" conversation.

I mean you aren't wrong at all, but what are the funny death scenes in SVP?

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

mind the walrus posted:

Gonna be harsh and say that this is more because you know all of the extra details from the books. I think for show-watchers it was just "well the sets and costumes are nice and I sure do like these actors, and it's the big popular thing so"

I was kind of exaggerating, but even just those first few scenes with the Starks in Winterfell, the forest, at the beheading, etc., there's a lot to talk about. In the archery scene with Arya, you get to see a lot of dynamics going on in the family in just the span of a few minutes. There's also the opening scene beyond the wall. My point is that the show really didn't waste much time early on, probably because AGOT is fairly straightforward for a fantasy book, and way more of a concise story than Storm, Feast, or Dance.

PittTheElder posted:

I mean you aren't wrong at all, but what are the funny death scenes in SVP?

The one that comes to mind is the guy who gets shot in the helmet, takes helmet off, then gets shot after he's told he's lucky. Maybe it's not necessarily "comedy" but there are a few more tonally weird moments like that. I remember hearing kind of involuntary "heh" reactions from people during the multiple viewings I've had.

Coquito Ergo Sum fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Nov 22, 2021

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I think that teaches you a valuable lesson: don't take your helmet off.

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

GoutPatrol posted:

I think that teaches you a valuable lesson: don't take your helmet off.

Well I learned that from Starship Troopers, which came out a year earlier :colbert:

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

strange poo poo happens in wars. in the military history thread someone posted about rod serling's war experiences:

Serling's time in Leyte shaped his writing and political views for the rest of his life. He saw death every day while in the Philippines, at the hands of his enemies and his allies, and through freak accidents such as that which killed another Jewish private, Melvin Levy. Levy was delivering a comic monologue for the platoon as they rested under a palm tree when a food crate was dropped from a plane above, decapitating him. Serling led the funeral services for Levy and placed a Star of David over his grave. Serling later set several of his scripts in the Philippines and used the unpredictability of death as a theme in much of his writing.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

The one that comes to mind is the guy who gets shot in the helmet, takes helmet off, then gets shot after he's told he's lucky. Maybe it's not necessarily "comedy" but there are a few more tonally weird moments like that. I remember hearing kind of involuntary "heh" reactions from people during the multiple viewings I've had.

The guys attempting to surrender and explain to the Americans that they're Czech and not German before being executed can get a laugh for more than one reason.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Tom Sizemore getting shot in the rear end is pretty funny even if it didn't kill him.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

I remember one of the dumbest scenes in a war movie that tried to take itself seriously was in The Longest Day when that guy gets killed because he confuses the sound of a Mauser's bolt being operated for the sound of a signal cricket.

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?
I don't think GRRM ever intended his work to be a serious look at medieval history, but he does get some things right that were generally unusual in fantasy novels.

Like every fantasy novel has these kings and queens doing stuff but they never really capture the idea that there are tons of other nobles with opinions and power. GRRM of course simplifies the poo poo out of it, but reading it as a kid I thought it was kind of astounding how I had not seen much of that before in a fantasy book. Usually they just lump aristocrats into some foppish stereotype that will play well with the audience who is supposed to identify with the Noble King or Peasant Hero Boy and all the rich people are just a bunch of whiners in silks, or not in existence at all.

GRRM did a good job of showing that every ruler is surrounded by a bunch of armed militarized rich people that want their job and could turn on them or ignore their commands if it suited them. He did well at showing that kings did not have absolute power.

I think the show itself did a decent job of this in the early half but then as time went on things got mashed into Only The Main Characters Matter and we have absurd poo poo like the Tyrells dying and then everyone else claiming 'The Reach is empty' as if there wouldn't be hundreds of noblemen all trying to jump into the vacuum they leave behind.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Mr. Grapes! posted:

I think the show itself did a decent job of this in the early half but then as time went on things got mashed into Only The Main Characters Matter and we have absurd poo poo like the Tyrells dying and then everyone else claiming 'The Reach is empty' as if there wouldn't be hundreds of noblemen all trying to jump into the vacuum they leave behind.

particularly absurd considering gurm explicitly outlines the reach as being unusually full of people who want to kill the tyrells and take their stuff because their claim to highgarden and being lords paramount is viewed as shaky and illegitimate by the houses that can trace their lineage back to the age of heroes

even if you argue that most of the florents are with stannis, the hightowers are right there

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Yeah, Ice and Fire isn't accurate to true historical feudalism, but I think that's the point. Westeros is supposed to be a fictional form of hyper-ingrained late-stage feudalism that is ridiculous because it allows the narrative to present its messages more readily, like a fantasy version of those crazy sci-fi dystopia movies from the 1970s.

Is there a sword and sorcery version of Rollerball?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I saw an old quote from GRRM yesterday where he said he based Dorne on a mixture of Wales, Spain, and Palestine. Which left me incredibly confused.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

Is there a sword and sorcery version of Rollerball?

Blood of Heroes and Knightriders come close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Jazerus posted:

even if you argue that most of the florents are with stannis, the hightowers are right there

hightower, never even heard of 'er