Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Soysaucebeast posted:

My boy Hopper is in two episodes so far!

Let's be fair, that could be any wolf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

Rarity posted:

Let's be fair, that could be any wolf

Nope, I read the subtitles and they clearly said "Hopper: AWROOOO"

not really

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

It was more of a RUUUUUUUUU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Gully Foyle posted:

I really liked the bath scene between Lan and Moiraine, did a great job of establishing their bond - intimate without being romantic or sexual. At first I was a bit like "Lan wouldnt complain of cold water", but then recalled yeah of course he would. Lan was practically raised in Shienar, and they love their hot and co-ed baths.

The prequel book has Moraine tossing Lan into a pool of cold water as their first meeting. Lan gives her poo poo for it for a while. I think this is a callback to that.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

She's got months of reports from rulers and eyes and ears, he was not doing so hot.

Exactly. It's frustrating in the books especially with Traveling being a thing that should help, but Egwene gets her information from Aes Sedai sources (eyes and ears etc.), and the nature of news and rumour twists the actual events even when they are good or neutral Rand. When they are bad Rand like abandoning Bander Eban to starvation... of course she is not going to trust him. Plus he is a man who channels and is destined to go mad! (Since very few believe that Saidin is cleansed). He very nearly did destroy the entire Pattern just before he comes to Tar Valon with his breaking the Seals plan.

Finally, Rand was probably at least partially wrong. He wanted to break the seals himself, but Egwene convinced him to at least let her decide. If Rand had kept the seals (discounting the fake seal switcheroo), theres no way he would have been in a state to break them at the right time given his battle with the Dark One.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

buffalo all day posted:

Three was really good, probly the best of the eps. Really liked the bartender character.

I agree. I think the bartender has had one of the most engaging performances so far, shame she only got the one episode.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

CainFortea posted:

The prequel book has Moraine tossing Lan into a pool of cold water as their first meeting. Lan gives her poo poo for it for a while. I think this is a callback to that.

Haha, I knew that but didnt make the connection. The show does have a decent amount of Easter eggs that are there for readers without being in the way of new viewers.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Hughmoris posted:

I agree. I think the bartender has had one of the most engaging performances so far, shame she only got the one episode.

The dagger through the throat was great, definitely a shock. Thom is stone cold.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Looking forward to Dana and Laila coming back in dreams to gently caress with Rand/Perrin. So far it seems like they've put a lot of effort into making dreams important, hope it pays off.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

How are u posted:

The dagger through the throat was great, definitely a shock. Thom is stone cold.

Nice reminder from the very start that Thom is a loving hardcore badass between knocking a king off and just stacking the black ajah up like cordwood as they try and walk by him disguised in to shayol ghul at the end.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Why is Tom singing in an american accent when literally every other accent is a kind of weird english or regional english

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

El Grillo posted:

Why is Tom singing in an american accent when literally every other accent is a kind of weird english or regional english

high chant obviously

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

El Grillo posted:

all Americans speak in high chant

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

:pwn:

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

She's got months of reports from rulers and eyes and ears, he was not doing so hot.

It's a gawyn problem of completely ignoring what every single person you know and trust is telling you. Willful ignorance drives half the series' drama.

Literally just listen to Elayne who is bonded to Rand telling you he's become jesus

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

El Grillo posted:

Nynaeve definitely sounds like a Kiwi

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

if we accept that thom was singing in an american accent we must also reckon with how Tam raised his son with a dutch one

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I'm on the "Death of Stalin" train when it comes to actors' accents. Use your natural accent because I usually stop noticing it after about 3 lines of dialogue.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Well it's not the most stupid things so far in this mess.

Hoping it somehow gets better

The Manetheren story was good because, Rosamund Pike

edit: seriously how many men are going to inexplicably be wearing crap dressing gowns (who did the costume design for this thing?)

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Nov 19, 2021

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I think the costumes are good so far. I want Rand's sheepskin duster.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Rarity posted:

Nynaeve definitely sounds like a Kiwi

Not to my kiwi ears, she's doing a pretty good not-nz accent

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Not to my kiwi ears, she's doing a pretty good not-nz accent

Well I thought she was Kiwi then I checked Zoe Robins's IMDB and she is a Kiwi so... :v:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

How are u posted:

His coat/sweater are like the only things I haven't liked in that department :( They just look off to me

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Sab669 posted:

His coat/sweater are like the only things I haven't liked in that department :( They just look off to me

My wife and my friend's wife, who are not book readers, both reffered to Rand as "Sweater Boy" because they couldn't remember his name.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

How are u posted:

Burn the duster!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i like the costume work because it's a hell of a lot more interesting and better than them just looking like ren fair rejects

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Everyone in the two rivers wore wool. Which was a nice little touch.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Sab669 posted:

Yeah they look awful.

I mean they're fine as clothing but they 100% don't belong on a sheep farmer who comes from a town with a medieval level of clothing production tools, lol.
They belong on a hipster hanging out by the canal in Hackney Wick, east London. Which appropriately enough, is where everyone in the series sounds like they're from, except for Moiraine, Lan and Tam.

Anyways, this is also not the biggest problem with the series. I'll keep watching for Pike's Moiraine though.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Does anyone recall which book contains a very minor exchange between Rand and Egwene I assume where Rand is explaining how he channels fire and she is like 🤨 that is absolutely how we're taught NOT to channel anything at all? I wanna go re-read it after all the river imagery in the show

Really not a spoiler and I know this is the book thread but in case anyone is accidentally here and not the TVIV thread :shrug:

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

El Grillo posted:

100% don't belong on a sheep farmer who comes from a town with a medieval level of clothing production tools, lol.

The setting is not and has never been a Medieval setting. It is more of a 17th century without widespread gunpowder setting.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Sab669 posted:

Does anyone recall which book contains a very minor exchange between Rand and Egwene I assume where Rand is explaining how he channels fire and she is like 🤨 that is absolutely how we're taught NOT to channel anything at all? I wanna go re-read it after all the river imagery in the show

Really not a spoiler and I know this is the book thread but in case anyone is accidentally here and not the TVIV thread :shrug:

It's in book 4 when she and Elayne are trying to teach him to channel

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

It's the start of TSR.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Sab669 posted:

First few chapters of book 4, IIRC.

minema
May 31, 2011
I want Egwene's coat very much

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

How are u posted:

The setting is not and has never been a Medieval setting. It is more of a 17th century without widespread gunpowder setting.
Yeah medieval was the wrong word true.

Arrinien
Oct 22, 2010

Just want to say Nynaeve is by far my favourite character and show Nynaeve loving owns and the show is great.

E: gonna be real sad if this show doesn't make it long enough to do The Golden Crane.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Rarity posted:

It's in book 4 when she and Elayne are trying to teach him to channel

silvergoose posted:

It's the start of TSR.

How are u posted:

First few chapters of book 4, IIRC.

lmao that we all immediately knew what the scene was and where to find it. (It's specifically where Rand extinguishes the fires by pulling the heat into the stone of the fireplace, I think, and Egwene recalls that this is a good way to set yourself on fire, if you try it with saidar).

There's a similar scene much later on (LoC?) where Egwene asks Rand to explain Travelling to her, and her instinctive reaction to his response (boring a hole?) is that the Pattern would rip her apart if she tried it.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Arrinien posted:

Just want to say Nynaeve is by far my favourite character and show Nynaeve loving owns and the show is great.

E: gonna be real sad if this show doesn't make it long enough to do The Golden Crane.

Yeah, I wasn't too sold on her in episode 1 but she killed it in episode 3.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

lmao that we all immediately knew what the scene was and where to find it. (It's specifically where Rand extinguishes the fires by pulling the heat into the stone of the fireplace, I think, and Egwene recalls that this is a good way to set yourself on fire, if you try it with saidar).

There's a similar scene much later on (LoC?) where Egwene asks Rand to explain Travelling to her, and her instinctive reaction to his response (boring a hole?) is that the Pattern would rip her apart if she tried it.

Yeah. Honestly, the men channel this way, women channel that way stuff...the actual *mechanics* of it are fascinatingly awesome to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

silvergoose posted:

Yeah. Honestly, the men channel this way, women channel that way stuff...the actual *mechanics* of it are fascinatingly awesome to me.

Yea, I hope they're able to keep that while extracting and yeeting the biotruth crap with great prejudice.