Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Oh! I didn't notice at the time. Did anyone see if the Questioners still have their red shepherds crook, or is the golden arm-plating it for them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

MajorBonnet posted:

I'm also missing the hints that you only catch later or on a reread, like Rand getting sick after the confrontation with Valda in Baerlon. The closest thing I've noticed in that vein is the close up on Tam's heronmark.

That's actually one of my few beefs with the show as it is. In the first episode we get the dramatic zoom in on the heron mark. And then...nothing. Lan isn't even trying to show rand how to not stab himself using the sword.

J. P. Beagley
Apr 11, 2008

It's been years since I finished the series, so I have a couple Children questions spurred by the show:

1) Did the Children have a "kill all Aes Sedai whenever possible" policy? Such that if they had ID'd Moraine, they would have tried to capture and execute her? My recollection from the books was that there was a Cold War of sorts between the Aes Sedai and the Children, but the show seems to suggest more of a Hot War.

2) If Valda is specifically looking for Aes Sedai as above, why wouldn't he just ask "Are you an Aes Sedai?" Any reason or is it just a plot hole?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Oh! I didn't notice at the time. Did anyone see if the Questioners still have their red shepherds crook, or is the golden arm-plating it for them?

No crook. Not sure if the armor color denotes questioners or not, or if it's only a rank thing.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

A friend was criticizing the costumes as being over the top colorful and modern for the supposed time period. Which, ok I guess, I don't know enough to have an opinion, but what I do know is that the Whitecloaks look absolutely perfect.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

JOHN SKELETON posted:

A friend was criticizing the costumes as being over the top colorful and modern for the supposed time period. Which, ok I guess, I don't know enough to have an opinion, but what I do know is that the Whitecloaks look absolutely perfect.

I've heard that complaint, and it's dumb. First of all, this isn't from a time period of our history. So comparing it to 15th century england or whatever is stupid. Secondly, "period" clothing was a lot more colorful than most people think. Everyone didn't go around wearing nothing but brown all the time.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

J. P. Beagley posted:

It's been years since I finished the series, so I have a couple Children questions spurred by the show:

1) Did the Children have a "kill all Aes Sedai whenever possible" policy? Such that if they had ID'd Moraine, they would have tried to capture and execute her? My recollection from the books was that there was a Cold War of sorts between the Aes Sedai and the Children, but the show seems to suggest more of a Hot War.

2) If Valda is specifically looking for Aes Sedai as above, why wouldn't he just ask "Are you an Aes Sedai?" Any reason or is it just a plot hole?

Mmmm.... I don't think they were outright at war but it did seem like they'd waste one if they thought they could get away with it.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
Valda was very cavalier about blood on his hands with that uniform. Bloodstains aren't easy to remove.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

J. P. Beagley posted:

1: Pretty sure the Children always were out for Aes Sedai blood, it's just that they had to temper their enthusiasm in some kingdoms in order to not piss off the rulers. The Two Rivers area is very "in the boonies" and only marginally under control of Andor at this time, so they are free to pretty much do whatever.

2: I presume the Aes Sedai practice ways to answer that question without lying pretty throughly and the Children of the Light probably prefer to find ways to trip them up in their stories rather than pick something they spend a ton of time practicing how to answer.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Just did a speed re-read of Eye of the World. Still holds up, even after 31 years. I read it as a kid in the early 90s but don't remember anything about the release or initial impressions.

If we have any old farts around... how was the EoTW received on release? I tried to find some reviews from 1990 but failed. Other than Dungeons and Dragons, and Dragonlance books, I don't remember any solid books in this genre before I started the Wheel of Time series. Nothing with this much detail or material.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

J. P. Beagley posted:

1 - Not in the books, no, but given that Valda's walking around in public with murdered Aes Sedai rings on his belt, and Moiraine was very careful not to let herself be known as an Aes Sedai, I presume that in this turn of the Wheel, they are in fact at war.

2 - That is in the books. The Whitecloaks don't believe the Aes Sedai can't lie. They don't bother with that simple of a question, since they're convinced that the Aes Sedai will just lie about it.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

J. P. Beagley posted:

The Whitecloaks are, in the books, pragmatic (read: cowardly) in regards to confronting Aes Sedai. Moiraine faces off at least once against them and basically says “try me bitch.” Saying that if they caught an AS by surprise without her warder around, they might try their luck, and there’s a quote in one of the books along the lines of “If the Amrylin Seat summoned the Lord Captain Commander to Tar Valon, Pedron Niall might spend the entire trip trying to think of a way to kill her, but still he would come.”

They are widely seen as bully-boys and troublemakers in the hinterlands, except in a few places, dangerous to Wise Women and the like but no danger to a prepared AS.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

JOHN SKELETON posted:

Have you considered that people like getting mad for no reason

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Hughmoris posted:

Just did a speed re-read of Eye of the World. Still holds up, even after 31 years. I read it as a kid in the early 90s but don't remember anything about the release or initial impressions.

If we have any old farts around... how was the EoTW received on release? I tried to find some reviews from 1990 but failed. Other than Dungeons and Dragons, and Dragonlance books, I don't remember any solid books in this genre before I started the Wheel of Time series. Nothing with this much detail or material.

The “internet” wasn’t really a thing back then and everything was very much word of mouth. It was the “first” of fantasy doorstopper books. The Eddings Belgariad books were kind of the direct predecessor I think and those books weren’t so big. They were prominently displayed in Waldenbooks and the like, the DKS covers were as eye-catching as they were goofy.

One other thing, I got into the books starting at The Great Hunt which came out like 6 months after TEotW, and then TDR came a year later which made it easy to get invested on a quick timeframe.

Anyway, they got passed around by the nerds in school so that you had someone to talk to about them. I still remember the nerdy cheerleader type who had the most tortured pronunciation of the names despite the guide in the back.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

RC Cola posted:

Have you considered that people like getting mad for no reason
Nah, she wasn't really mad, and was still super hyped for the show. She's a really mega Lord of the Rings nerd so apparently she's comparing it to that - which, being a movie, probably had a much higher budget per minute for costumes.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
A petty complaint: the Tinkers didn't seem garish enough. They would have fit in at most of the music festivals I've been to. But I always pictured them dressed like clowns with circus wagons, which might go too far the other direction.

MajorBonnet fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Nov 20, 2021

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Mmmm.... I don't think they were outright at war but it did seem like they'd waste one if they thought they could get away with it.

In the books a Whitecloak - possibly Valda, but I forget - is thinking about the one time they got to judge an Amyrlin Seat and muses that it had to be a Cadaver Synod because live witches are difficult to hang. Basically, they have no chance of taking down an Aes Sedai by main force and they know it. Most of what they do is encourage people to not like the Tar Valon witches and to call anyone who disagrees with them a Darkfriend. It was interesting to see Bornhald direct Moiraine to visit a sister for healing from the Trolloc poison; it implies that in the series, the chief motivation of the Whitecloaks is a handing down of Hawkwing's distrust of the One Power and hatred of those who wield it rather than a belief that all users of the Power are servants of the Dark One.

J. P. Beagley
Apr 11, 2008

Thank you for the answers everybody!

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

CainFortea posted:

That's actually one of my few beefs with the show as it is. In the first episode we get the dramatic zoom in on the heron mark. And then...nothing. Lan isn't even trying to show rand how to not stab himself using the sword.

i think we'll get a Montage at some point

Nitrousoxide posted:

Wasn't expecting a darkfriend's motivation to be breaking the wheel. That seems out of place for most of those folks as they generally seemed to want personal power.

she claims both personal fame ("doesn't matter who i am, what matters is who im gonna be") & the End of Suffering or whatever. i was not expecting it either, though

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

After sleeping and not being drunk anymore I still am loving the show. Whitecloaks were perfect. Egwene rules. Thom rules. No bale doman, but hopefully we meet him anyways. Just differently than before.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Darkfriends definitely expected the Dark One to break the wheel, but to reshape all of existence, not to completely end it. I have not watched e3 yet, but the usual Darkfriend thought they'd get to rule everything.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Darkfriends definitely expected the Dark One to break the wheel, but to reshape all of existence, not to completely end it. I have not watched e3 yet, but the usual Darkfriend thought they'd get to rule everything.

I like the idea that darkfriends are just promised whatever that particular darkfriend wants. But I'd be ok with all darkfriends wanting basically what Ishmael wants

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

RC Cola posted:

After sleeping and not being drunk anymore I still am loving the show. Whitecloaks were perfect. Egwene rules. Thom rules. No bale doman, but hopefully we meet him anyways. Just differently than before.

They do be getting a strongly worded review, by my aged grandmother they do be do be do

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

Their wagons did have colors that looked like they used to be bright.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

J. P. Beagley posted:

Sanderson talked about this in his reddit posts and there was much discussion over how Moiraine could encounter these guys, have the stakes be high, keep the three oaths and still wyrm tongue her way out with the truth but not the truth you think you hear.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

MajorBonnet posted:

I'm also missing the hints that you only catch later or on a reread, like Rand getting sick after the confrontation with Valda in Baerlon. The closest thing I've noticed in that vein is the close up on Tam's heronmark.

I think the big obvious hint is Tam's babbling flashback to the Aiel War, and they've moved that out for the finale. They're being much more ambiguous as a audience hook.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Hughmoris posted:

It got a lot of positive attention at the time but it was really on the next level with nothing else in its league. If you look at the jacket quotes on early printings of Eye, the big "this is good" quotes are from Piers Anthony and Fred Saberhagen. People like Pratchett and Gaiman hadn't hit it big yet and fantasy was just a mire of Conan knockoffs and Tolkien copies and what today we'd call YA stuff.. Shannara, etc. Prydain.

Now it looks relatively unoriginal but at the time stuff like "female Gandalf" and "ptsd exists" were were big deal.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

The Glumslinger posted:

They do be getting a strongly worded review, by my aged grandmother they do be do be do

Bayle? Is that you sir? I'll follow you to the ends of the ocean sir!

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Would have preferred if Dana called the Dark One the Great Lord when she was talking to Da Boys. But honestly my only complaints are minor and I get why they have made the changes they have. Is it Friday yet?

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Would have preferred if Dana called the Dark One the Great Lord when she was talking to Da Boys. But honestly my only complaints are minor and I get why they have made the changes they have. Is it Friday yet?

I didn't catch that. I'm a dummy. I'm angry about this now

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm
We may be getting the scene of Rand finding out about his parentage during his trek to Emond's Field after all, I assume as a flashback during one of the two final episodes (spoilery still):

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Mentioned in the discord, but Tam's fight in the cabin was really solid. He's clearly supposed to be an expert swordsman, and is completely dominating the fight until the Trolloc wins by pure muscle.

Which Tam would never expect because his wars were against other men - this is the first time he's fought something powerful enough to do that.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

MajorBonnet posted:

Echoing others, I think my biggest problem is starting off with Moiraine chasing rumors of ta'veren in the Two Rivers. I think they missed a great opportunity in not having Moiraine and Lan start as mysterious strangers. Did the books ever address what brought Moiraine to Emond's Field? I'm blanking on it. Maybe in New Spring?

The ta'veren part was weird, but at this point she had pretty much searched everywhere they could already. She was kind of running out of places to look, so the rear end end of nowhere probably seemed worth a shot.

I still think she heard about a 2nd captain of the Illianer Companions retiring after the Aiel war with his wife and newborn baby to go home to the Two Rivers and decided to just go check it out and got lucky. Tam wasn't super famous but he would have been someone that people knew about and would have remembered why he left and when. She just didn't hear about it until recently when she was doing some more research.

I do think it's odd that none of the Two Rivers folk know about Darkfriends or anything like that. As soon as Dana started talking about how the Dark One is going to break the wheel they should have realized it.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Not So Fast posted:

I think the big obvious hint is Tam's babbling flashback to the Aiel War, and they've moved that out for the finale. They're being much more ambiguous as a audience hook.

yeah i absolutely see that as being part of the final 2 episodes where they're actually revealing it in the show, we always joke about how obvious it is in the books and the show can actually do poo poo like this to make it more ambiguous until it's relevant

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
It was pretty much a no brainer we were getting it, you don't hire Michael McElhatton for just a couple of scenes

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Gnoman posted:

Mentioned in the discord, but Tam's fight in the cabin was really solid. He's clearly supposed to be an expert swordsman, and is completely dominating the fight until the Trolloc wins by pure muscle.

Which Tam would never expect because his wars were against other men - this is the first time he's fought something powerful enough to do that.

He's also rusty, he hasn't gotten that thing out from under the bed in twenty years.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Rarity posted:

It was pretty much a no brainer we were getting it, you don't hire Michael McElhatton for just a couple of scenes

from roose bolton to tam al'thor, what a journey in prestige fantasy tv

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

He's also rusty, he hasn't gotten that thing out from under the bed in twenty years.

He did know what a Trolloc was and didn't seem shocked that one existed, so he must have had some idea about them even if he never personally fought them.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Good point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah, tam was a good fighter back in the day but it's not like he had the opportunity to keep practicing without rand seeing it and going 'wtf' and probably gossiping about it