Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
You can also use Beastmasters to capture Yellow Dragons. Each one you release will do 25% of his total HP in damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Schwartzcough posted:

You can also use Beastmasters to capture Yellow Dragons. Each one you release will do 25% of his total HP in damage.

Holy gently caress. This game is insane.

Edit:. Slow won't proc on him :(

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Nov 21, 2021

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Elephant Ambush posted:

There is something magical about this post/avatar combo.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
FFV is very, very good.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Leal posted:

There is something magical about this post/avatar combo.

What

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

The character in your avatar is basically a beastmaster in Octopath.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Leal posted:

The character in your avatar is basically a beastmaster in Octopath.

Capture and summon sucks in Octopath except for one rare monster that's insanely hard to capture and is really only useful on the optional super boss

Anyway ExDeath keeps destroying me. If I cast Carbuncle then he attacks twice for over 1k and then dispels people at random. If I don't cast Carbuncle he wrecks me with 2 spells per turn, gravity, row switch, etc. If I just try to Curaga every turn I can't keep up with the damage if he hits someone twice.

I thought someone said Slow works and it always misses. Am I doing something wrong?

gently caress this I'm going multi Samurai and throwing gil

Edit 15: gil toss worked. What a piece of poo poo

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Nov 21, 2021

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
You could go down a few floors and steal from Reflect Mages for Reflect Rings. At that point he can't dispel it and your challenge is just to heal the wearers without using direct magic--!Spellblade Drain works if you can sub Dualwield or Two-Hand (or if you're a high enough level), or you can also set Reflect on him and bounce it off, or !Mix Hi-Potions with themselves, Hi-Potions with Holy Water, or Potions and Ethers for added oomph.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah Gil Toss absolutely rules and is how I crushed everything in my FJF run

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Just controlled a Lamia and had it blast my Blue Mage with 1000 Needles hell yes :black101:

(Both my Beastmaster and my Blue Mage are Lenna so this also involved some slight suicide)

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

nrook posted:

wait isn't w2 exdeath the guy who hastes himself if you try to cast slow on him

Almost positive that's what happens.

Think I just carbuncled and bounced black magic off my party. He died very quickly.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I dont know if this still works in PR but I pretty much always used Reflect Rings from Barrier Tower to beat Exdeath

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Elephant Ambush posted:

FF5 is a game where they basically finished making the game then did another once-over where they added a bunch of alternate strategies (and bugs)

that’s obnoxious that slow doesn’t work

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Nihilarian posted:

I dont know if this still works in PR but I pretty much always used Reflect Rings from Barrier Tower to beat Exdeath

This is confusing. In order to get these you have to steal but according to this thread thief sucks so I only got one person to find passages and then never used it again.

Blerg

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Thief mostly sucks (well, they’re nice utility between Vigilance and super speed) besides the brief stretch where they get Zidane’s thief swords to play with but the only thing that affects stealing is the one accessory that doubles the rate so it’s not like it matters if you haven’t used one.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Being THF sucks. !Steal is incredible if you know when to use it (or autopilot !Mug on an autoattacker.) See RDM, GEO, or DRG.

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

Elephant Ambush posted:

This is confusing. In order to get these you have to steal but according to this thread thief sucks so I only got one person to find passages and then never used it again.

Blerg

You can steal them in exdeath’s castle but they’re also drops in barrier tower from reflect knights. Not that would’ve been any help once you actually made it to exdeath

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Elephant Ambush posted:

Blerg
thief is a bit of a utility class. It has a bunch of nice qol improvements like find passages, the stuff you steal can be very useful, and in the gba/snes mug bypasses the chicken knife flee (i hear it doesnt in PR). It ends up lacking a bit of a punch offensively, compared to alternatives, and when you played the game 15 times you probably already know where passages are. Mug not working with Chicken Knife probably drops it pretty low in PR, I'd say it was pretty average in the other versions

But I'm pretty sure Reflect Ring was a drop in the versions i played, it shouldn't be a steal in PR

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

About half of fiesta team strategy relies on finding 4 reflect rings (or stealing elsewhere with thief) in barrier tower for exdeath and the crystals.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I’m one of those people who’s never finished FFV because I get too in the weeds with job system stuff but this talk about endgame strategies is making me want to take another run at it with the pixel remaster.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
If you’re level 35 you should be able to cast protect, shell, and haste and just beat W2 Exdeath in a slugfest.

Most buffs don’t wear off in FF5 (unless you die) so even though they’re single target you still have more than enough time to set them up.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Samurai’s real power is being rich and throwing money around, just like real life samurai

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Many Samurai are poor, as I learned in the documentary film Yojimbo, most well-known for being a late-game random encounter in FF5.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Elephant Ambush posted:

Blerg

If you want, caves of narshe has a really good guide written by Djibriel.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
I'm already well into world 3 at the pyramid but I appreciate all the knowledge

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011

PneumonicBook posted:

If you want, caves of narshe has a really good guide written by Djibriel.

I remember that guy from back in the day. Extremely knowledgeable, made a lot of the guides for certain mechanics and such.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

dracula vladdy AF posted:

I remember that guy from back in the day. Extremely knowledgeable, made a lot of the guides for certain mechanics and such.

Yea it gets super in the weeds wrt stealable items and a lot of alternate strategies, Ill definitely give it another look if I do a fiesta run.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

real squeaky bum moment at the end of looting karnak castle

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

multijoe posted:

real squeaky bum moment at the end of looting karnak castle

I had to reload a bunch and still barely made it out with everything.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

PneumonicBook posted:

I had to reload a bunch and still barely made it out with everything.

If you put Wait on and make sure to have one person ready to act at all times, you can hop into a menu during animations to let them play out without advancing the timer.

I cleared the place out with 5 minutes left on my run.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

BisbyWorl posted:

If you put Wait on and make sure to have one person ready to act at all times, you can hop into a menu during animations to let them play out without advancing the timer.

I cleared the place out with 5 minutes left on my run.

Duly noted for next time.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Elephant Ambush posted:

He's not immune to slow, but he has 85% magic evade and he's level 66. Slow has a base 95% chance to hit, so at level 30 (a reasonable level to be at that point), you have about a 9% chance of it hitting.

You can raise your level with mixes, but it's absolutely not worth it because if ever does get slowed, he counters by casting haste on himself.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Nov 21, 2021

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Harrow posted:

I’m one of those people who’s never finished FFV because I get too in the weeds with job system stuff but this talk about endgame strategies is making me want to take another run at it with the pixel remaster.

or..... play FF5R :twisted:

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
In FFXII, how long is it until my melee characters (most of my party) can actually do anything except auto attacks? I'm around 4 hours in, just went into the Mines, and apart from Steal and First Aid it's just auto attacks. I have been to the Techniks shops but couldn't see anything.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bardeh posted:

In FFXII, how long is it until my melee characters (most of my party) can actually do anything except auto attacks? I'm around 4 hours in, just went into the Mines, and apart from Steal and First Aid it's just auto attacks. I have been to the Techniks shops but couldn't see anything.

Uh... I've got some bad news for you vis a vis techniks and how often you use them. Melee people melee, its DnD 1.0 here in Ivalice

Edit: I seriously think the only technik I ever used was the one that lets melee attacks go long distance for the few flying bosses in the game, and even then late game you can just magic or use ranges melee

Barudak fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Nov 21, 2021

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

If you have any issues with autoattacking down the same add 80 times per dungeon FF12 may not be the game for you

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Really? No cool AoE attacks, stuns, knockdowns, stuff like that? Right now I have my gambits set up so that Fran (White Mage) autoattacks and heals at <50%, and everyone else is just 'autoattack nearest baddie'. I have bought a ton of gambits at the shop but I don't really see much need to play around with the system yet. I get that I'm still early in the game, but I thought things would start to open up a little by now.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bardeh posted:

Really? No cool AoE attacks, stuns, knockdowns, stuff like that? Right now I have my gambits set up so that Fran (White Mage) autoattacks and heals at <50%, and everyone else is just 'autoattack nearest baddie'. I have bought a ton of gambits at the shop but I don't really see much need to play around with the system yet. I get that I'm still early in the game, but I thought things would start to open up a little by now.

I have good news and bad news.

The bad news is, no, thats pretty much it. The good news is, congrats you've already got your optimal for 90% of the game gambit setup!

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Bardeh posted:

You can, uh... set lightning weak > thundara on your mages I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If you like holding the movement stick in the direction of foes, FFXII has a lot of directions and foes.