Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

I'm near the end of my FFVIII replay and I had no idea this could happen in the Adel fight (linked for VIII spoilers I guess)

https://i.imgur.com/IGEemjk.mp4

He did this to me too as a kid, though in hindsight it is much funnier now with his FF14 characterisation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Just wrapped up the FFVII Switch port, and man, one thing I wish they would have sprung for is a reorchestrated score. The MIDI stuff is fine, I guess, and obviously keeps true to the original game, but they've already done a bunch of awesome orchestrated versions of FFVII music, and a fully orchestrated score would have kicked so much rear end. That was one part of the FFXII remaster that really slammed.

Also, whoever pushed to get the 3x time skip added as a feature on all these ports/remasters deserves a freaking medal. I have no doubt there were people on the design team who fought against it, but it's such a massive quality of life increase, especially in the earlier games where the animation and pacing is much more plodding and methodical. I haven't used any of the "cheatier" functions like invincibility or whatever else is in there, but loving hell, the difference between taking 10 seconds and 30 seconds between battles while grinding adds up immensely. Like a chocobo race takes about 15 seconds, I was able to go from zero to golden chocobo over the course of an afternoon.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Are there hard numbers for the encounter-rate across games? 2 and 5 are definitely more dense with randos.

There's a whole loving mess of tl;dr that can be written, not least because it's a table-lookup PRNG meant to paper over NES/SNES hardware limitations by acting LIKE roll-and-decrement logic. Key points are:
* FF1-4 all use target numbers on a looping step-counter lookup table; while all are around the same place in most situations, FF2 has the highest peaks (32 in trap rooms and some parts of the tower where you get Ultima), while FF4 has the fewest peaks.
* Thus 2 is the "highest".
* The lookup table position can be cleared by a cold boot for each of them, and by using healing spells from the menu in at least FF3.
* Even to the point of contemporary strategy guides, the roll-and-decrement kayfabe was maintained. PR reimplementation might actually use it now that they had the chance to reimplement.
* FF5 and 6 use an incrementing system, but still a lookup table comparison table.
* FF5 increments step counter by 256 outdoors and 224 indoors in most cases, while FF6 increments by 192 outdoors and 112 indoors in most cases. If step counter/256 is over the current value on the table, a battle occurs.
* Thus 5 is the higher for any given target, as targets SHOULD be distributed uniformly in each (they're 256 sequential results from a PRNG).
* However, FF5 has dungeon tiles (potentially many dungeon tiles, if you manipulate the table properly you can guarantee a no-random-battle Karnak escape) that do not increment the counter, and FF6 has peaks of 384 and 352 respectively (think the dinosaur forest).
* Also, SFC/GBA FF5 step counter can be reset by opening the menu, meaning your next step will only trigger an encounter if the increment is at least 256 and the target value is 0 (delta some extra-weird math about where in the formation randomizer loop you are.)

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Just wrapped up the FFVII Switch port, and man, one thing I wish they would have sprung for is a reorchestrated score. The MIDI stuff is fine, I guess, and obviously keeps true to the original game, but they've already done a bunch of awesome orchestrated versions of FFVII music, and a fully orchestrated score would have kicked so much rear end. That was one part of the FFXII remaster that really slammed.

Also, whoever pushed to get the 3x time skip added as a feature on all these ports/remasters deserves a freaking medal. I have no doubt there were people on the design team who fought against it, but it's such a massive quality of life increase, especially in the earlier games where the animation and pacing is much more plodding and methodical. I haven't used any of the "cheatier" functions like invincibility or whatever else is in there, but loving hell, the difference between taking 10 seconds and 30 seconds between battles while grinding adds up immensely. Like a chocobo race takes about 15 seconds, I was able to go from zero to golden chocobo over the course of an afternoon.

A speed up button and all the streamlining features of the pixel remasters should be mandatory for every RPG from now til the end of time.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

I do wish there was more flexibility in the Gambit system though, I guess it's by design that you can't 100% completely automate it. But it'd be nice if there was like, an "Enemy: absorbs [element]" Gambit so that Ashe would stop attacking water absorbing enemies with her water element mace and do something else instead.

You can sorta do this. There are "Foe: element-vulnerable" gambits that make it so you'll only do that action on an enemy you know won't block or absorb that element. So you could set up like "Foe: water-vulnerable -> Attack" on Ashe in that scenario and she'll only swing at an enemy who won't absorb it.

It's clumsy, though, you'd need to switch it out every time you change weapons, but you can get there.

(That gambit's name is kinda unclear and a lot of people apparently assume "vulnerable" just a lesser tier of being "weak" to an element, so SFF renamed it to "Foe: not element-immune" instead.)

Harrow fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Nov 22, 2021

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

grieving for Gandalf posted:

the big ones are Crystal and Ragnarok-- check the qhimm forums

From looking at them both Ragnarok sounds a little more interesting than Crystal, so I'm gonna give it a shot

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Huh, Adrammalech is a lot easier than I thought. I was screwing around in the caves after the Marilith Hunt, my party was around level 27, and I accidentally wandered into the room where he was. Actually managed to beat him without too much difficulty even without having any equipment that reduces lightning damage. I did get wiped once because of the Stop from Thundaja but when I went in the second time with my B team starting out and my A team in reserve in case they got wiped, I didn't have an issue.

I'm pretty sure Queklain and Zalera are still fight fuckers though until later on, so I won't bother with them yet.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Wingnut Ninja posted:

The 3x speed makes battles go too quickly for my taste but I have zero compunction about using the no encounters cheat, especially in 7 and 9 where it's not possible to get that ability through normal game play. Side quests become 1000x less annoying.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I can't fathom playing FF6 without beelining for Mog and his no-encounters charm.

I'd be all up for a new retro JRPG, albeit with an encounter-slider, save-anywhere, free-respec, in-game checklist, no bullshit RNG for item-drops or item-creation, and maybe a boss-rush mode.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

You should play Bravely Default/Bravely Second

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

jokes posted:

No.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

K.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I can't fathom playing FF6 without beelining for Mog and his no-encounters charm.

I'd be all up for a new retro JRPG, albeit with an encounter-slider, save-anywhere, free-respec, in-game checklist, no bullshit RNG for item-drops or item-creation, and maybe a boss-rush mode.

Playing so much FF1 Randomizer really makes me want something that combines all the best aspects of 1, 3, and 5 into something built from the ground up to be short and replayable. I agree that the Bravely series just comes up short, somehow

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011

jokes posted:

ngl being able to turn off random encounters in each dungeon and just grind a little bit next to a save point was perfect for me and really elevated Bravely Second. The actual mechanisms for grinding by winning several battles in a row is a lot of fun.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Holy god dam the minotaur in the Fork Tower is so unfair. I managed to beat him on the first try but only because I had Faris as a Samurai with an Elven Mantle equipped and he kept missing or hitting the mantle. Bartz, as a Ninja, with an Elven Mantle, got turned into pudding almost instantly. Minotaur still hit Faris twice and it came down to the wire but jesus god dam gently caress some of these bosses are so dumb. Omniscent, on the other hand, was completely free to Carbuncle and died to his own spells lmao.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Protect and Shell are arguably the most important spells in the game (that aren’t Golem, Raise, or cure spells)

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

jokes posted:

Protect and Shell are arguably the most important spells in the game (that aren’t Golem, Raise, or cure spells)

I think I had a White Mage once during a playthrough of FFV, maybe

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Nah. They're only single target so it takes 8 total actions to get them up on the whole party. There aren't any bosses that benefit from turtling rather than killing it ASAP. Only really useful if you're underleveled for NED.

Also Mighty Guard exists.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Elephant Ambush posted:

Holy god dam the minotaur in the Fork Tower is so unfair. I managed to beat him on the first try but only because I had Faris as a Samurai with an Elven Mantle equipped and he kept missing or hitting the mantle. Bartz, as a Ninja, with an Elven Mantle, got turned into pudding almost instantly. Minotaur still hit Faris twice and it came down to the wire but jesus god dam gently caress some of these bosses are so dumb. Omniscent, on the other hand, was completely free to Carbuncle and died to his own spells lmao.

Another good strat is to plink away from the back row. You can easily out-heal the jerk as long as it doesn't splat you in one hit.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Fister Roboto posted:

Nah. They're only single target so it takes 8 total actions to get them up on the whole party. There aren't any bosses that benefit from turtling rather than killing it ASAP. Only really useful if you're underleveled for NED.

Also Mighty Guard exists.

I guess I mean to say that protect and shell are extremely important unless you’re at or above the right level or Know Your poo poo. They’re more of a training wheel. You can spend 8 turns getting protect and shell on people which basically gives you a 1.5x multiplier on your effective HP.

jokes fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Nov 22, 2021

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Unless everyone's subbed white mage, 8 turns is 32 actions, which probably means most bosses are dead.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

What is the general consensus on Bravely Default 2? I tend to agree with the general goon sentiment re: Bravely Default, Octopath Traveler (good games with great music with one or two glaring flaws that may make you dislike the game or rate it much lower than it could have been).

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

OP is not wrong that protect and shell are some of the most important buffs in final fantasy 5 regardless of how you choose to apply them or how many turns it takes

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Unless everyone's subbed white mage, 8 turns is 32 actions, which probably means most bosses are dead.

You don’t have to protect/shell everyone, usually just the light armored front liners. For most of the game if a white mage isn’t healing on a boss, they should be protecting and shelling (or buffing), unless they sub a damage spec or whatever. I always go Time Mage or Summoner with Red 3 subbed, then pivot to white 5 once I get curaga.

In any event protect/shell is still incredibly useful and sometimes obligatory even if you know what you’re doing, because it enables you to survive a lot of abilities that are otherwise OHKOs. Someone earlier in the thread said Almagest isn’t affected by Shell and that loving sucks if that’s true because that was always my go-to on that fight.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Just make protectga and shellga the baseline

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

As an aside, Dancing dagger loving sucks sometimes. My Ninja using a dancing dagger just killed herself using the drain dance on an undead enemy. Just do sword dance, idiot

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

jokes posted:

As an aside, Bone Mail loving sucks sometimes. My Ninja using a dancing dagger just killed herself using the drain dance.

I think the only time I actually equip the Bone Mail is when I fight Omega, other than that I just leave it off, normally.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

It’s useful on a lightly armored person but the healing fuckery is annoying when I forget

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

It's kinda funny how hard I crush Triple Triad in FF8 now after grinding out like 95% of the Triple Triad mount achievement in FFXIV

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

jokes posted:

I guess I mean to say that protect and shell are extremely important unless you’re at or above the right level or Know Your poo poo. They’re more of a training wheel. You can spend 8 turns getting protect and shell on people which basically gives you a 1.5x multiplier on your effective HP.

Those cut damage taken by 50%, it's a 2x multiplier on HP. :eng101:

And yeah, Mighty Guard is The Best Spell. Blue magic is just fantastic in FF5 really.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Made a couple FF Tactics maps. Two flavors with names depending on how nostalgic you want the translations (I've never played the WotL version but it seems way better namewise).
https://twitter.com/vgcartography/status/1462855877531156489?s=20

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Evil Fluffy posted:

Those cut damage taken by 50%, it's a 2x multiplier on HP. :eng101:

And yeah, Mighty Guard is The Best Spell. Blue magic is just fantastic in FF5 really.

Most people don’t meaningfully gently caress with Blue Magic their first run because it sort of requires a guide. There’s not a lot of easy ways to suss out which abilities and monsters to control and, but for the fact that that Blue Mage with Two-handed is a truly solid job for basically the entire game, there are a lot of “funner” options to the untrained eyes. There are many more abilities that enemies use and it’s not immediately apparent which ones are learnable. Plus the beastmaster control synergy is a big ol’ eye roll.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
I love the idea of blue magic as a concept but the yeah it's also a tedious slog to figure out what the best abilities are and where to find and THEN find out that some enemies need to be manipulated to do the good ability on the blue mage and just never sounds like the effort is worth it.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Nothing is as powerful as a group of 4 Blue Mages with mastered white magic all transfusing/raising each other for infinite MP, Mighty Guarding, and aquabreathing everything.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

jokes posted:

Nothing is as powerful as a group of 4 Blue Mages with mastered white magic all transfusing/raising each other for infinite MP, Mighty Guarding, and aquabreathing everything.

:hmmyes:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

So, as far as "OK enough jobs mastered, time for Freelancer/Mime", am I right in saying that mastering Summoner and Monk gives that character the maximum possible Magic/Strength modifiers?

And if that's the case, I can expect all 4 characters to hold their own in both physical and magic, on par with an actual Monk or Summoner, right?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Monk for strength and stamina
Thief for agility
Summoner for magic

Spellblade is also an absolutely solid choice for agility. It gives 14 agility (Thief’s bonus is 16) and it’s also just one of the best jobs.

The job with some of the worst freelancer stats is red mage but doublecast let’s you destroy anything, including the game itself. Too bad it requires the most AP to master~

E: see the chart at the bottom of this page for stat modifiers, freelancer only takes the highest bonus. If you max out Monk, Summoner, Thief your freelancer will have the highest stats in the game, hitting harder than any other job (since you can actually use weapons), faster than any job (except thief), and cast magic better than any job (since you can wear any equipment and use any school of magic— black mage doesn’t have as high of magic as a freelancer that mastered summoner, so a naked mastered black mage casting firaga does less damage than a naked freelancer that mastered summoner using firaga).

https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_V_jobs

jokes fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Nov 22, 2021

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Mustached Demon posted:

Another good strat is to plink away from the back row. You can easily out-heal the jerk as long as it doesn't splat you in one hit.

You're also guaranteed a Wonder Rod shortly before him. Even clothies only take 300-400 damage in back at W3 levels, so if you've got anything that can put a rod on--essentially a guarantee if you're having trouble with him--you can work through its cycle, supported by a dedicated Hi-Potion thrower, and get a full round of !Black which should do the trick.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

So, as far as "OK enough jobs mastered, time for Freelancer/Mime", am I right in saying that mastering Summoner and Monk gives that character the maximum possible Magic/Strength modifiers?

And if that's the case, I can expect all 4 characters to hold their own in both physical and magic, on par with an actual Monk or Summoner, right?

Yes-but; cloth armor and especially particular caster or caster-light melee weapons tend to carry significant boosts to some or all magic, and those will be gone if you've got someone who you're trying to make a physical powerhouse with Excalibur, Masamune, and a Genji set -also- be a magical powerhouse with !Summon or !Black.

E: This also essentially means that you should do Mime for your casters and either for your melee. You only get one Wizard Rod, want it for both !Black and !Summon, and want !DblCast for !Black. Support casting is less demanding in that the Sage Staff only boosts !White, not !Time, but both work very well with !DblCast and combining them means the character has healing to do once they finish buffing. And from an hyperoptimization perspective, since you get ALL passives whether you want them or not, the ideal endgame caster did NOT take any levels in Knight, to avoid awkwardness where they start Covering said Genji-wearer when they could just Arise or Phoenix them next turn.

Mandoric fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Nov 22, 2021

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

The "optimal" party is probably something like 2 mime casters (doublecast, summon, white), a mime with two chicken knives and rapidfire, and then a Freelancer with all your other cool swords. Honestly mastering all those jobs will just end up being overkill though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
If we're talking walking-god stages of the game, Chicken Knife starts to get suboptimal and I'd go for the double Brave Blade. Loses its job versatility when it's a Freelancer either way, and either requires dedicating a slot to !X-Fight to mitigate its onhit (PR, I believe THAT still works) or can straight-up overflow damage and hit the 65536-75534 window where it goes back to doing sub-9999 (SNES, GBA).

By that point only Omega is in any way a numbers question, too, and Omega's the one beefy enough boy where Brave Blade pulls ahead.