Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Just came back from seeing it a little while ago and it was entertaining.

Watching Red Letter Media's review of it is hilarious because they seem completely incapable of enjoying anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I thought it was ok.

Kids were likable enough, and it is thankfully light on quipping. I guess my expectations are low enough at this point where "The movie doesn't have a scene where characters make fun of a goofy sounding name" is a plus.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

AndyElusive posted:

Watching Red Letter Media's review of it is hilarious because they seem completely incapable of enjoying anything.

Well to be fair they basically did have a thesis/prediction on the movie that would have soured them if it occurred and then it did infact occur :v: I think their points are all valid, but for them it really halted them enjoying the movie at all where as for me I was able to still enjoy it just as a movie.

Edit: I also like alot of their ideas liek the mom getting the franchise rights to ghostbusters, or the idea of franchises unionizing and murray firing them all lol Infact their impromptu rewrite of the plot is great.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Podcast and Gary Gooberson are some terrible rear end names lmao.

I’m shocked they barely made a joke about them except that they just went “his name is Gary gooberson??”

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I checked out the same place Mike checked out. Walmart is an awful place for any kind of cinema. Even removing the cynical element it’s just ugly and overly lit. That terror dog didn’t look remotely interesting in bright fluorescents.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

All I could think of was the joke in Looney Tunes: Back in Action

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I'm glad the fan base has decided to shrug off the accusations of toxicity from 2016 by dogpiling anyone who is remotely critical of Afterlife online :allears:

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

If I was a wizard I would cast a spell on anyone who has ever engaged in a Internet pile-on in defense of some pop cultural thing. The spell would make it so they could no longer view the thing they enjoyed so much. They'd switch on Ghostbusters and the film would just be static.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

AndyElusive posted:

Mike's description of how GB3 should have been done is like, literally a million times better than Afterlife. I bounce off of a lot of RLM reviews but I completely agree with the Afterlife review.

Bacon Terrorist posted:

I'm glad the fan base has decided to shrug off the accusations of toxicity from 2016 by dogpiling anyone who is remotely critical of Afterlife online :allears:

Yea holy poo poo this.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

For anyone who missed the credits scenes, here they are, though in not the best quality:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-8swBdfkaQ

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Bacon Terrorist posted:

It's a shame dialogue around basically any major film franchise is as toxic as it is. What's with that? I'm a dork and participate in some online music scenes with my favorite bands, it seems so wholesome in comparison.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

PneumonicBook posted:

Mike's description of how GB3 should have been done is like, literally a million times better than Afterlife. I bounce off of a lot of RLM reviews but I completely agree with the Afterlife review.

But would it have made Kevin Smith cry?

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

For anyone who missed the credits scenes, here they are, though in not the best quality:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-8swBdfkaQ

Today I learned that Ernie Hudson is 75 and goddrat does that dude look at least 20 years younger than that.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

roffels posted:

It's a shame dialogue around basically any major film franchise is as toxic as it is. What's with that? I'm a dork and participate in some online music scenes with my favorite bands, it seems so wholesome in comparison.

Late stage capitalism, mostly.

People conflate criticism of a thing they like as criticism against themselves as a person. I imagine this does happen with music too.

AndyElusive posted:

But would it have made Kevin Smith cry?

No I suppose not.

One review that I read that resonated with me was where the reviewer admits to tearing up at the end, but is angry because the movie didn't earn it, and it was just manipulating him. Think thats a pretty true observation as well.

PneumonicBook fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Nov 22, 2021

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

PneumonicBook posted:

Late stage capitalism, mostly.

People conflate criticism of a thing they like as criticism against themselves as a person. I imagine this does happen with music too.

KPop twitter is the army that will win the future wars.

But yeah this is the correct answer - people conflate brand loyalty with identity when it’s all you have in a failing state that is increasingly more oppressive and isolating.

Anyway, the ghost movie was fine and then poo poo the bed harder than Force Awakens in the third act by no longer being an overly sentimental homage to the first movie and instead becoming the first movie. Choose the form of your destructor, indeed.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Is this was Force Awakens, I’m very excited to see the sequel and where that goes.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

The_Doctor posted:

Is this was Force Awakens, I’m very excited to see the sequel and where that goes.

If its Winston in Canada declaring the Ghostbusters deserve to be destroyed I might be in.

E: We already got Ghostbuster porgs in this movie

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I think I figured out what annoys me about Ghostbusters Afterlife, which is that it feels like a dad desperately trying to convince their kids that Ghostbusters is really cool

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Roth posted:

I think I figured out what annoys me about Ghostbusters Afterlife, which is that it feels like a dad desperately trying to convince their kids that Ghostbusters is really cool

And it totally would have worked with the Ecto blasting through the town.

I truly didn't need to see any of the original guys except for Winston :colbert: come back. Bill Murray looked WAY too old.

Also, I get that Peter has to joke around because MOVIE, but Gozer literally ripped a guy in half who was ON its side... why did the ol' Goze let the guys get so much time to kid around?

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Nov 22, 2021

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

weekly font posted:

If its Winston in Canada declaring the Ghostbusters deserve to be destroyed I might be in.

E: We already got Ghostbuster porgs in this movie

Also Force Ghost Egon

Speaking of that, Hasbro just announced a Target-exclusive action figure of that character

Feels weird, man

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Also, I get that Peter has to joke around because MOVIE, but Gozer literally ripped a guy in half who was ON its side... why did the ol' Goze let the guys get so much time to kid around?

That's kind of Gozers thing. They stand around, let you yabber a bunch, then eventually attempt to kill you. Them killing Shandor suddenly as they did was out of left field.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Speaking of that, Hasbro just announced a Target-exclusive action figure of that character

Feels weird, man

:wtc:

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Nov 22, 2021

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.

It was a nod to Ghostbuster II's "Only a Carpathian!" scene

Guys getting knocked down, then Venkman taunting the main bad guy while down

volts5000 fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Nov 22, 2021

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

AndyElusive posted:

That's kind of Gozers thing. They stand around, let you yabber a bunch, then eventually attempt to kill you. Them killing Shandor suddenly as they did was out of left field.

:wtc:

Shandor's mistake was probably just stepping in front of Gozer while declaring that they would share power.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I'm not a Ghostbusters fan but I thought the movie was enjoyable enough, I didn't hate it. I had a lot of problems with it, I can't remember any character's name outside of Gary and Podcast and honestly question if all of the characters were even named. All of the characters were flat outside of Gary and the mom; the kids sucked and Podcast should have been removed entirely. I don't remember the first two films much at all save for major plot points so I'm sure I missed references left and right but the ones I did pick up on it felt like it was just there to tug on some nostalgia than be anything of value to the story itself. I'm sure there was just ton of that bullshit to pander to fans. The whole ending was just a repeat of what happened at the end of the first film which was just ridiculous, why can't people try doing some new poo poo? Neither Gozer or the Dogs are even cool enough to warrant bringing back. And where were all of the ghosts? If I'm not mistaken there was the blue one, the zombie dude at the dinner, Egon and I don't know how much Gozer or the Dogs count, maybe I'm blanking on more ghost scenes I just completely forgot. Everything about ghost Egon was cringey as gently caress and made even more awkward because he didn't talk and smiled from the uncanny valley. Casting JK Simmons as a throwaway character is baffling too.

Why the gently caress does this small rear end town have a Walmart? lol

I'm not sure how Ghostbusters is even a "thing," it's a goofy comedy film with a stupid premise and somehow it's become a nerd action film. And now it's weirdly aimed at kids. I feel like the people who nerd out over Ghostbusters are the people who nerd out on the marines in Aliens, completely missing the point and tone of the film because they just like explosions and guns and poo poo. Except here it's laser beams, brown coveralls, a cool looking car and ghost blowjobs.

All that said it was well shot, looked great and I really appreciate the use of a huge rear end loving puppet, that thing looked awesome. Fun way to throw away 2 hours.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Buncha city slickers ITT unaware of Walmart building a giant Walmart in the sticks, killing all the local businesses, then leaving the town high and dry.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Yea the Walmart being in a nothing town was the most realistic thing in the movie.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
^^drat you.

sigher posted:

Why the gently caress does this small rear end town have a Walmart? lol

Really odd how this thread keeps asking this question when it’s maybe the most realistic part of the movie.

gregday
May 23, 2003

I’ve seen it brought up that a potential plot hole at the end is Egon not getting sucked into the giant trap array but I maintain that the reason is he’s immune from traps by having looked directly into the trap when he was alive.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Saw it over the weekend, liked it a lot. Yeah it leaned extremely heavily on nostalgia and fan pandering but I was okay with all of it. Definitely buying it on 4K when it comes out.

I’m not a huge die hard Ghostbusters fanboy but I liked the 2 original movies and really enjoyed the 2009 videogame, I’m getting GB1 in 4K in the mail today and I’m planning to watch it tonight or tomorrow and see how much I still like it.

A coworker also let me borrow the 2016 GB remake today (which I’ve never seen), he says it’s worth a watch and I’m willing to give it a whirl so who knows!

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Ending question.

So Gozer, Zuul and Vinz Clortho are all in the Containment Unit in New York, right? Also, does that red light indicate that the Containment Unit is failing?

gregday
May 23, 2003

My only real complaint is Paul Rudd was slightly wasted. I wanted Vinz Clortho doing dumb, goofy poo poo.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'm a huge fan of the original growing up a kid in the 80s, new movie was really good loved it.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Ghostbusters is my favorite film of all time and so I was super worried going into this that it was going to suck and I'd be miserable as hell.

I'm happy to report that it's good.

But it could be better. SPOILERS!

- Trevor has nothing to do. I thought he'd be the Venkman of the group, wisecracking and fun, but he's just there to drive the car. Massive writing failure there, possibly miscast too

- It wasn't that funny? Nothing really made me laugh out loud. Oh wait, one thing did: Venkman's perfect "Bravo..." after Ray's long order to Gozer

- Missed opportunities. Paul Rudd should have been doing some fun stuff as the Keymaster, but it just skips all that stuff. If you're going to copy the first movie, copy that! Also, after that terrifying Slimer episode of the Real Ghostbusters where all the little slimers make a great big one, it would have been cool to have all the little Staypufts make a huge one at the end to really up the stakes as he smashes the town

- TOO. MANY. CALLBACKS. I love nostalgia and callbacks, but they were so overused it was borderline ridiculous. Loved hearing the score but too much of it didn't quite fit. We didn't need the twinky or crunch bar. Too much!

- I don't think Egon would have written that revelations verse on the fence, it just doesn't fit his character. It was only there as a CALLBACK

- Scene at Walmart is awful. Why is no one in there? Too much Staypuft!

- Too much Egon ghost. I cry at movies fairly easily and was very upset when Harold died but the ending did nothing for me, which is super weird. Maybe because my first thought was the Goku Gohan Kamehameha when it happened. Just. Too. Much. Less is more!

- What I did like was the opening, which was great and had no jokes. The FX are fantastic, loved all the ghosts, practical terror dogs, Gozer was really well done. And you know what, I'm glad they had the OG cast in. They were the best part, Venkman still funny as hell.

So in conclusion, don't tease us, make the next Ghostbusters film RIGHT NOW with the three we have left. It can be done!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I thought the new movie was funny but not in a original Ghostbusters way it had this kind of awkward humor to it, but I still laughed a lot of parts of the movie.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alan_Shore posted:

So in conclusion, don't tease us, make the next Ghostbusters film RIGHT NOW with the three we have left. It can be done!

I think you would be very disappointment in what you'd get from an exhausted 70 year old Bill Murray and Dan Ackroyd desperately trying to bring energy to a role they didn't even have the energy to do twice.

Ernie Hudson would own but when doesn't he?

gregday
May 23, 2003

Three funniest things:

“How did you build a cyclotron so small?” *lamp pans to wall of degrees*

The long, thoughtful pause after “Are you a god?”

The OG crew’s eyes looking over at Egon one by one

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

ImpAtom posted:

Ernie Hudson would own but when doesn't he?

Now that you mention it... Winston canonically making a poo poo ton of money might put him in a position to finance a revitalization of the Ghostbusters. I already think he would be the best choice to shepherd the new generation. Hudson isn't gonna command the price tag Aykroyd and Murray would. He'd make the best mentor of the three, imo.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Looking forward to Hudson telling a bunch of kids he's seen poo poo that would turn them white.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

deoju posted:

Now that you mention it... Winston canonically making a poo poo ton of money might put him in a position to finance a revitalization of the Ghostbusters. I already think he would be the best choice to shepherd the new generation. Hudson isn't gonna command the price tag Aykroyd and Murray would. He'd make the best mentor of the three, imo.

And it would be a great way to make up for being left out of 2/5ths of GB1 and 1/4th of GB2.

Where was he when they were drilling? Being charged and convicted?

Goddammit, let Winston/Ernie take over. The man's earned it.

He has both the tools and the talent :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

deoju posted:

The problem with that is you'd have to kill off Ray. If Ghostbusting were to become a thing again, Ray would DEFINITELY be involved. And I don't think Dan Ackroyd can really act anymore.

It's believable to say that Peter and Dana want nothing to do with the new Ghostbusters. Plus if you make Winston the money-man, you could write in Oscar as the head "adult" Ghostbuster. I even have the perfect person in mind to play him!