Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

anyone getting much mileage out of ailments?

Yup. Poison/charm/sleep have hit most of the time for me. I even managed to sleep the first boss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah they're great. A lot of bosses an minibosses are vulnerable to ailments and they can help a lot.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Yea they've helped a lot in boss fights, especially the skills that do damage or debuff in addition to having a chance to inflict an ailment. Those have been godly for me.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Beat this the other day. Great game, amazing soundtrack. Sort of regretted playing on normal because the latter sections of the game were a joke and I was killing bosses in 1-2 rounds.

This is me right now. Map 4 was kind of rough at the start but it's back to me being OP again. Bosses still often will just use the "attack" command so having MC and another demon with Absorb Phys just makes them waste all their turns. Plus, with all the Miracles that boost Magatsuhi my gauge fills up so insanely fast that I always can use crit skill and usually do 80% of a bosses health in that period.

I'm not complaining, though. Being so strong is fun in its own way.

Fiend Matador
Feb 19, 2011

if you have the true demon DLC, Daisoujou has an incredibly nasty skill that tries to inflict a bunch of ailments at once, and it's definitely saved my rear end a few times already.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Fungah! posted:

i love that switching in a demon only takes half a turn. great change.

It's been like that since 4. Definitely the only reason I've survived a lot of the hard mode fights in this that have killed everyone in my party except the Nahobino

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Beat that loving bird, didn’t get a drat thing but a leisurely walk up a hill. I love this game.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Been trying to reach this Miman on map 4 for about 15 minutes now. I can see it but I can't reach it. It's dancing around, taunting me...

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Fiend Matador posted:

if you have the true demon DLC, Daisoujou has an incredibly nasty skill that tries to inflict a bunch of ailments at once, and it's definitely saved my rear end a few times already.

I just unlocked this lad, wonder if he's as op as he was in Nocturne

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I just unlocked this lad, wonder if he's as op as he was in Nocturne

He doesn't have Prayer but Preach is still very good against a lot of bosses. And of course Meditate is especially good bc of mana economy and its decent damage.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Kongming posted:

Been trying to reach this Miman on map 4 for about 15 minutes now. I can see it but I can't reach it. It's dancing around, taunting me...

The fourth area had a couple of those where I was in the same boat. Real satisfying to finally work out the roundabout path to them.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

lol. This game is a masterpiece

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

I loving hate shiva so much lol getting my rear end whooped

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Evil Eagle posted:

Lmao god drat

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Just met Nuwa and Yakumo, character design in this game is so good

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

smt3 is such a step up from smt2 its insane. i'm in ginza and i just want to spend hours grinding and fusing demons. i love the ginza theme so much, even if it isn't as good as the snes version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoSa0Ut9GPg

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Evil Eagle posted:

This is why I want to get endure on all my demons.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

What I thought was the last area was not in fact the last area and now bosses are starting to use Impaler's Animus (charge/concentrate + Pierce) so my expert strategy of absorbing/nulling everything doesn't work anymore. On top of all that Tao left my party because I'm doing Chaos route and so I lost my main source of support/healing. Back to the drawing board.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

it's still so cool stumbling into the giant unique demons that are littered about. Im tempted to try and fight a grimekhala I found but I know he's just gonna whip my rear end

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Game completed with Chaos ending. My final team included Yoshitsune and Trumpeter but the third demon was a float because of the thing I mentioned in the previous post. Norn filled the slot the most, though.

Really good game, but the difficulty is all over the place on normal. Last two bosses were still rather challenging, though. I actually really liked the Tokyo maps except for Map 3 which was just okay due to its layout. Your classmates are also stupid and serve no purpose until the last act. Dazai is a dweeb and Yuzuru might as well not exist. You do unlock new game+ for beating the game where you carry over your levels and money so getting the other endings sounds like a simple enough affair.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Kongming posted:

Game completed with Chaos ending. My final team included Yoshitsune and Trumpeter but the third demon was a float because of the thing I mentioned in the previous post. Norn filled the slot the most, though.

Really good game, but the difficulty is all over the place on normal. Last two bosses were still rather challenging, though. I actually really liked the Tokyo maps except for Map 3 which was just okay due to its layout. Your classmates are also stupid and serve no purpose until the last act. Dazai is a dweeb and Yuzuru might as well not exist. You do unlock new game+ for beating the game where you carry over your levels and money so getting the other endings sounds like a simple enough affair.

My only complaint with NG+ is you gotta reget all the talismans over again. Dumb!!!

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Kongming posted:

Bummer to hear that the classmates don't do too much, I was hoping it would be like 3 where they each find their own philosophies and you eventually side with one of them for an ending--from you and the other person who posted it in the Games Beat thread it sounds like a standard Law/Neutral/Chaos ending thing?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Only one of the classmates gets anything that could be considered any sort of character development or depth. It's lame.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Turns out I misunderstood completely what ending is which and I got Neutral and not Chaos. Oh well.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Only one of the classmates gets anything that could be considered any sort of character development or depth. It's lame.

I don't know if I'm going insane or if it's been more of an issue in games recently due to COVID but I feel like I keep seeing big underdeveloped/dropped content in games released over the last year or so. The combination of the underused classmates and the weird school dungeon area makes me feel like there was more intended for that stuff that never made the final cut

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I am definitely curious if people who dig around the files can find any hints of extra or cut stuff for sure.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

i know its early to be talking about this stuff already but i wonder if theyll do a maniax/p3fes/p4golden style revision to this game or if itll be a standalone sequel like apocalypse.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Bummer to hear that the classmates don't do too much, I was hoping it would be like 3 where they each find their own philosophies and you eventually side with one of them for an ending--from you and the other person who posted it in the Games Beat thread it sounds like a standard Law/Neutral/Chaos ending thing?

With regards to the classmates they do choose a side but their reasoning for it is shallow and they have no real personalities of their own other than Dazai is a wuss and Yuzuru loves Tokyo. There is a Law/Neutral/Chaos route and a special fourth route that's NG+ only.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The fourth route is actually not ng+ only. But you do have to beat the superboss and do a specific sidequest chain (that you can gently caress up) in the 4th area to do it. I think ng+ lets you skip these requirements though?

I did it on my first run. altho it was lame since being 99 for the superboss meant the last boss died in like 2 turns since they're like level 80

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
I learned the other day that apparently its not One More God Rejected but War Broke Out in Heaven because most of the lines are from the bible

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

just beat the final boss of the 2nd zone on my first attempt...loving harrowing. 6 demons dead, rotating through the 2nd and 3rd stringers desperately chipping away at the health bar, until everything comes together for the finisher...

i got so hype, this game continues to kick rear end. this is also the first chunk of the game where ive had a strong enough team to clear minibosses and bosses on the first go without everything going falling irredeemably apart. feels fuckin good after struggling through the wastelands for a couple dozen hours.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Cironnup is the drat MVP of this area, their unique buff skill is godly.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

ArfJason posted:

I learned the other day that apparently its not One More God Rejected but War Broke Out in Heaven because most of the lines are from the bible

It's definitely one more god rejected, I don't think there's an official source for the lyrics anywhere though

Cart Mountain
Nov 1, 2004

i picked up the game on release and immediately died twice in the starting area on like, the 3rd and 4th battles because i decided to try and negotiate at the wrong time and got wiped lol.
i started playing again this weekend and am just a little bit past the first boss. i cant believe how hard this game Owns.

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

Whoever made "All right" the default option when demons demand macca needs to eat a friekugel

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Frenz posted:

Whoever made "All right" the default option when demons demand macca needs to eat a friekugel

agreed

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Frenz posted:

100x this

Knives and Hot Dust
Feb 21, 2010

metal gear??!?
These flamin birds can be a motherfucker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cart Mountain
Nov 1, 2004

game owns so hard but im pretty sure its going to take me forever to beat cause i love just running around exploring and fusing different poo poo and trying different essences and stuff.
im almost at 11 hours played and i havent made it to the diet building for the 2nd boss yet lol