Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
My take on the show series vs the book is that the show takes place on another turning of the wheel. So I can just fully ignore any differences between books/show. Its just another telling of the same story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I know realistically this is a better option because they're based in Prague for the filming but I've always pictured the Waste as being more like Arizona/New Mexico with the buttes, the cacti, and the corn.

Morocco ↑ countryside

I was just guessing what location he's scouting for but deserts are not all sand :shrug:

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Valentin posted:

I understand why they made this change, but it's sort of darkly funny that everyone involved apparently agrees that audiences would have been confused by Perrin having issues with violence. Clearly, there's absolutely no good reason you might find it traumatizing or troubling to take a life, and we absolutely can't leave it to the acting and directing to convey anything about what he's thinking. Just doesn't make sense without a dead wife.

I get what you're saying and I overall agree, however the language of TV shows/movies tells audiences that violence in defense of your life, or against "bad guys" is morally justifiable. Changing it so Perrin takes the life of someone he cares about instead of some random whitecloak mooks gives him a more personal reason to be reluctant to do violence and potentially lose control because he might end up hurting someone else he loves.

What they should do is have the same actor who played his wife also play Faile. :v:

Hexel posted:

I was just guessing what location he's scouting for but deserts are not all sand :shrug:

I don't see no buttes or cacti in that picture :colbert:

ONE YEAR LATER fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Nov 23, 2021

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

CainFortea posted:

In the fantasy setting, it would be kinda weird to have a character doing violence and being bothered by it.

I'd suggest it has substantially less to do with the fantasy setting (he grew up in a bucolic farming town anyways) and more to do with the foundational assumption in most modern media that doing violence to other people is clean, easy, and non-traumatizing. That's well past a fantasy assumption, it's also the assumption of 90% of video games and action films.

It's extra funny because the scene actually does demonstrate wordlessly that Perrin finds the violence he carries out alienating and disorienting (the ringing in his ears, etc.), it's just that they assume audiences will never accept that as a reason not to kill. Real "shinji's a coward for not wanting to get in the robot" type vibes, to change media and genre entirely.

E: to be clear, I don't consider it a failure of the writing or anything (though I think Sanderson's suggestion to use Luhhan was much stronger and didn't invent a woman to fridge), inasmuch as it's a practical decision they made in response to assumed audience expectations. It's just funny that the conversation starts from a premise of "obviously we all know everyone thinks killing people is fine and normal, so we have to write around that."

Valentin fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Nov 23, 2021

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Collateral posted:

All I am getting is clickbait (the taint of the internet).

I'm going to spoiler this as I really don't know if it will spoil anything but with an abundance of caution. Bit of a rant tbh.

Something that had bothered me in the books to an extent, but looks like being a bigger thing in the show is: Why do any of the sovereign nation state tolerate the Children at all, like they are an extra judicial, independent armed paramilitary force that has zero qualms committing atrocity after atrocity. Yet they operate with impunity. No King, Queen or High Lord worth their position would put up with it. They would be hunted down mercilessly. A bounty put on their heads and outlawed. There is no central religious authority like the Catholic Church in this world to give them any legitimacy. Andor on its own could scour the world of them. The white tower even let them camp outside Tar Valon and threaten the Aes Sedai with burning. Why? Tar Valon is a city of 500,000 inhabitants with a guard to match. They don't have to kill them, just put a bounty on their heads and let nature take its course. That doesn't break the 3 oaths, I'm sure.

The series shows a lot of this. Part of it is that the Whitecloaks only have actual authority in one country where they've basically supplanted the local rulers. Every time we see whitecloaks outside of Amadicia, it's either somewhere with very weak local government or somewhere where there is a lot of political turmoil that the whitecloaks are trying to exploit to expand their power.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Rarity posted:

Meera Syal is goddam perfect casting for Verin

No she's Lanfear

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

It is very weird to me that people say that Perrin doesn't really come together until later on. Mat, sure, but Perrin?

He's on his poo poo very early on. His first POV is in the Eye of the World, coming out of Shadar Logoth, and from then until the gang meet back up again in Caemlyn his is one of the book's two main plot threads. He's got a whole little adventure of his own there- fleeing across the Caralain Grass with Egwene, debating violence with Eylas and the Tuatha'an, fighting and getting captured by Whitecloaks.

Hunt gives him less time but he still has the little thread of taking over for Hurin under Ingtar.

Then in the TDR he's... you probably can't claim the main POV but definitely a major one, as the guy who's left to narrate the chase after Rand goes AWOL. During which journey he finds a feral wolfguy in a cage, falls in love (?) attracts a horny teen, and attempts to find peace with the hammer before once again being forced to take up the axe.

And of course in TSR he fights an entire war in the Two Rivers.

Perrin's arc gets so much done in the first four books Jordan has to give him the Fires of Heaven off so other characters can catch up. You could probably argue that his arc is totally complete by the end of TSR, and that's why the Rescue Faile arc feels like such a wheel spinning exercise.

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Nov 23, 2021

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The series shows a lot of this. Part of it is that the Whitecloaks only have actual authority in one country where they've basically supplanted the local rulers. Every time we see whitecloaks outside of Amadicia, it's either somewhere with very weak local government or somewhere where there is a lot of political turmoil that the whitecloaks are trying to exploit to expand their power.

There's a lot of lessening power among the kingdoms as well. Andor is doing ok and even they've lost a bunch of land because they just don't have the people or the power to enforce their laws there. Though even the Whitecloaks won't actually do anything inside of Andor proper, the Queen's Guard can and will gently caress them right up.

The whole world is in decline, and lovely people start stepping up to grab what power they can.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Nitrousoxide posted:

To a blacksmith, a hammer is definitely a tool of creation.

I do some blacksmithing too (eventually I wanna make my own axes and hammers), so I definitely see that point. To me they are both tools of creation, in their own ways. And both work as weapons too.

latinotwink1997 posted:

Ok, I’m listening.

Annnnd you lost me.

Debating the axe is not an instrument of destruction and then your first example being the destruction of a life form really wasn’t the best. The rest worked fairly well though, the differences between a wood axe and a bearded axe notwithstanding.

I don't really consider it destruction I guess. More like harvesting. And bearded axes can be woodworking instruments as noted.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Valentin posted:

I'd suggest it has substantially less to do with the fantasy setting (he grew up in a bucolic farming town anyways) and more to do with the foundational assumption in most modern media that doing violence to other people is clean, easy, and non-traumatizing. That's well past a fantasy assumption, it's also the assumption of 90% of video games and action films.

It's extra funny because the scene actually does demonstrate wordlessly that Perrin finds the violence he carries out alienating and disorienting (the ringing in his ears, etc.), it's just that they assume audiences will never accept that as a reason not to kill. Real "shinji's a coward for not wanting to get in the robot" type vibes, to change media and genre entirely.

E: to be clear, I don't consider it a failure of the writing or anything (though I think Sanderson's suggestion to use Luhhan was much stronger and didn't invent a woman to fridge), inasmuch as it's a practical decision they made in response to assumed audience expectations. It's just funny that the conversation starts from a premise of "obviously we all know everyone thinks killing people is fine and normal, so we have to write around that."

Yea, I was agreeing and saying it would be weird given how things usually play out. I will say that it's still more common in fantasy, at the very least because of the inclusion of so many literal monsters.

I will say though, *technically* they didn't invent her. She existed in the books, but is never seen "on screen". Just referenced by Perrin.

Although I also agree with Sanderson that killing anyone was too far as well as fridging a wife.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Hexel posted:

Theres a new interview with Judkins out where he explains the reasoning behind some pilot changes

"On the day of the show’s premiere, showrunner Rafe Judkins spoke with The Hollywood Reporter — while driving through the Moroccan desert on a scouting trip." Aiel waste anyone?

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-features/wheel-of-time-showrunner-interview-1235051283/

Man this interview pretty much screams that Rand is the Dragon Reborn, huh?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

RC Cola posted:

My take on the show series vs the book is that the show takes place on another turning of the wheel. So I can just fully ignore any differences between books/show. Its just another telling of the same story

iirc i think rafe judkins actually literally said this himself a few weeks back as a way to interpret it

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Rarity posted:

Man this interview pretty much screams that Rand is the Dragon Reborn, huh?

It's not like it's an actual mystery if you type either the name of the show or the character into google. Plenty of interviews with josha stradowski also make it extremely clear he's the protagonist

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Johnny Joestar posted:

iirc i think rafe judkins actually literally said this himself a few weeks back as a way to interpret it

I know Sanderson definitely put it that way on his YouTube channel, dunno about Rafe himself though.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Yeah, once you dig down into the specifics on how the Whitecloaks operate, they're basically a collective of organized predatory mercenary companies that wander around shaking down local lords for "donations" and exploiting regional political divisions for money and power, which was a very real problem in Europe during the 12-1400's. The Whitecloaks just added an extra side-hustle of witch-burning to the mix.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Sab669 posted:

I know Sanderson definitely put it that way on his YouTube channel, dunno about Rafe himself though.

maybe it was him i'm thinking of, then, yeah. i know someone big in terms of show production said it.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Yeah, once you dig down into the specifics on how the Whitecloaks operate, they're basically a collective of organized predatory mercenary companies that wander around shaking down local lords for "donations" and exploiting regional political divisions for money and power, which was a very real problem in Europe during the 12-1400's. The Whitecloaks just added an extra side-hustle of witch-burning to the mix.

Given how distrustful so many are of the Aes Sedai it really doesn't even seem hard to believe people would turn a blind eye to the Whitecloaks IMO.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Yea, it would be a cheap and easy way to act as a counter weight to Aes Sedai. making them step more carefully and such. And all it costs you is a few peasant women who are good with herbs. Win/win for most rulers.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yeah I just got to Shadar Logoth in the books and the group getting split up. I like the changes they made. I had forgotten about Mordeth.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

I appreciate this, but they are even in Caemlyn and outside Tar Valon. Morgase and the sisters are apparantly OK with a foreign armed force acting with impunity so close to their base of power?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Collateral posted:

I appreciate this, but they are even in Caemlyn and outside Tar Valon. Morgase and the sisters are apparantly OK with a foreign armed force acting with impunity so close to their base of power?

She's really not, but that's the whole point of the Reds vs Whites thing that's going on when Rand shows up. A huge proportion of the population of Camelyn, possibly even a majority, are pro-Whitecloaks and anti-Aes Sedai.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Johnny Joestar posted:

maybe it was him i'm thinking of, then, yeah. i know someone big in terms of show production said it.

Cool, then I'm gonna stick with it. I need to do another re-read soon.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Collateral posted:

Right, that's my point though.

They're in Caemlyn because Morgase is politically weak right then -- it's a major plot point with the white and red sword wrappings and everything. The root problem is that the Whitecloak doctrine is *popular* so if Morgase sends the Queen's Guard against the Whitecloaks pre-emptively she risks a popular uprising. Especially since she herself is witch-trained.

Outside Tar Valon similarly the Aes Sedai yell at Egwene for using violence against the WC's because the Tower's whole strategy is to present themselves as nonconfrontational and nonviolent and blowing up a bunch of whitecloak horses makes that look like a lie. Using hard power against the whitecloaks would damage the Tower's soft power.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah the whitecloaks are weaponizing 'i'm not touching yooooouuuuu' when they camp around tar valon because it's going to look bad for the aes sedai if word gets out about them beating the poo poo out of the whitecloaks on their own doorstep. now, if they tried to invade the actual white tower, then yeah no one would fault the sisters, but the optics would be insanely bad otherwise.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
I kind of just want to download the first episode and remove the lines about the Dragon Reborn could be anyone and rumors of ta'veren and see how much better it feels.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Outside Tar Valon similarly the Aes Sedai yell at Egwene for using violence against the WC's because the Tower's whole strategy is to present themselves as nonconfrontational and nonviolent and blowing up a bunch of whitecloak horses makes that look like a lie. Using hard power against the whitecloaks would damage the Tower's soft power.

Not just that - the Tower claims that Aes Sedai literally can't blow up Whitecloaks unless in mortal danger. By using the One Power as a weapon Egwene gave the WCs massive ammunition to say that the Oaths themselves are a falsehood.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Man, after re-watching the first three episodes, I'm so sad that they had to part ways with Mat. He's so perfect imo

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I agree. His deadpan humour is spot-on, and that's not easy to do.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Man, after re-watching the first three episodes, I'm so sad that they had to part ways with Mat. He's so perfect imo

Yeah he's really good, it's a shame.

Honestly I like all the main casting for the Two Rivers crew. You can get a sense of how they will grow into the characters down the line, but they each bring some fresh energy to the story with little details in their performances.

Benefits of having writers who care about the story and a finished series to work with as the source material, I imagine.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

the mat lines work though, which is nice to see, because turning the internal jordanisms into actual laugh lines is a pretty big step

i'm hopeful that since the writing has been decent enough for the character, the next dude will also be able to pull it off

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Honestly my only real complaint is that Perrin doesn't look as massive as I'd expect a blacksmith to, but that's pretty minor in the grand scheme of things

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I really like the current Mat, but he's often hard to understand sometimes for me and I hope the next actor enunciates a bit more. That's a me thing, for sure, I've always had a hard time understanding spoken word on TV. I won't be mad if the new guy does exactly the same thing as long as he keeps wise cracking properly.

Oh, and I really like the music in the show. It doesn't swell up over anyone, so we don't get someone trying to speak over the entire brass section.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Interview/recap with Marcus Rutherford confirms the doggos are actually very good bois https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFvponAPJ6M

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

It would make my day if they made all the wolves German Shepherds, both regular and white, but I'm pretty biased on that.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Hexel posted:

Interview/recap with Marcus Rutherford confirms the doggos are actually very good bois https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFvponAPJ6M

6:25: he's mentioning this axe he worked on a little bit at a forge (with a real blacksmith) maybe was for later in the season "maybe like the Seanchan or something" then trails off and changes the subject

if they're actually in this season i think that might be the biggest slip anyone's made to date lol

the captions (which aren't auto generated) remove the word seanchan and write "[indistinct]"

eke out fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Nov 23, 2021

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

eke out posted:

6:25: he's mentioning this axe he worked on a little bit at a forge (with a real blacksmith) maybe was for later in the season "maybe like the Seanchan or something" then trails off and changes the subject

if they're actually in this season i think that might be the biggest slip anyone's made to date lol

the captions (which aren't auto generated) remove the word seanchan and write "[indistinct]"

lol

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

They're going to have to activate the Tom Holland Protocols with this guy. lol

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
It's on Amazon's own YT so if it was that big a spoiler I imagine they'd have reshot that part of the interview

Marcus comes across very lively in interviews which has upped my opinion of his Perrin performance a bunch

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

slipping in the seanchan for a brief intro this season would be good setup for season 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
One of the (largely discredited but partially accurate) "leaked scripts" had Seanchan ships floating up towards a coastline as the last shot of Season 1.