Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Bar Crow posted:

Incredible point missing. Just outstanding.

No, I get the point, but they chose the wrong thing to make the point. Nobody except for maybe some old people care that the free market destroyed malls, and its not really a negative that they are dying out. There are plenty of legitimately good things that the free market destroyed which people actually care about.

IShallRiseAgain fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Nov 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Truly capitalism must be destroyed because it destroyed malls.

This but unironically.

Malls are fun.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

IShallRiseAgain posted:

No, I get the point, but they chose the wrong thing to make the point. Nobody except for maybe some old people care that the free market destroyed malls, and its not really a negative that they are dying out. There are plenty of legitimately good things that the free market destroyed which people actually care about.

The point wasn't at all the mall.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Bar Crow posted:

Incredible point missing. Just outstanding.

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

I don't even know the binkmans.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

IShallRiseAgain posted:

You should be aware that by your logic, every thing will be wrong, as time moves steadily forward and while the message (capitalism bad) will never age, every "chosen" thing to demonstrate this will be obsolete every 20 years or so.

What you are suggesting is either an author-collective updating the comic every 20 years or to replace all objects in it with abstract, timeless symbols. That's nuts. Also :lol: at you missing that thing killing people left and right on its death march, or did you think "Binkman's" is the name of a mall chain? :allears:

Or to summarize, you missed the point by at least 69° and now it's shooting over your head towards space

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Libluini posted:

You should be aware that by your logic, every thing will be wrong, as time moves steadily forward and while the message (capitalism bad) will never age, every "chosen" thing to demonstrate this will be obsolete every 20 years or so.

What you are suggesting is either an author-collective updating the comic every 20 years or to replace all objects in it with abstract, timeless symbols. That's nuts. Also :lol: at you missing that thing killing people left and right on its death march, or did you think "Binkman's" is the name of a mall chain? :allears:

Or to summarize, you missed the point by at least 69° and now it's shooting over your head towards space

It doesn't have to be a timeless thing no, but it has to be something that has actual value. The point of the comic is that capitalism will destroy everything in its path and that people will continue to try and support it. The point of the comic obviously isn't specifically about malls, and I never said it was. However, that's a dumb example for a thing to show the evils of capitalism. It'd be like showing the robot destroying a McDonalds or a coal mine.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

malls being destroyed isnt a problem when you live in a big city but it is a legitimate problem if you live in a suburban area with barely any businesses besides huge chains. when i was a kid we had two malls in twenty minutes and if i wanted hobby supplies, trading cards, video games, gardening stuff, clothes that don't have duck dynasty logos on them, etc, i could just go there. now both those malls are dead as poo poo and i have to drive an hour if i want to shop somewhere that isnt a walmart.

obviously this isnt a society destroying problem but it is a real issue, and it's a consequence of literally only caring about profits. tiny areas cant support businesses, so the businesses die, so people leave the small areas, so more businesses die.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Nov 23, 2021

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Endorph posted:

malls being destroyed isnt a problem when you live in a big city but it is a legitimate problem if you live in a suburban area with barely any businesses besides huge chains. when i was a kid we had two malls in twenty minutes and if i wanted hobby supplies, trading cards, video games, gardening stuff, clothes that don't have duck dynasty logos on them, etc, i could just go there. now both those malls are dead as poo poo and i have to drive an hour if i want to shop somewhere that isnt a walmart.

obviously this isnt a society destroying problem but it is a real issue, and it's a consequence of literally only caring about profits. tiny areas cant support businesses, so the businesses die, so people leave the small areas, so more businesses die.

suburbs really are a dying model for so many reasons including this. With climate change and the death of retail, something has to change about suburbs.

I've been watching a ton of videos on this subject lately and really enjoy this channel's takedowns of how awful suburbia is, coupled with some interesting solutions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWsGBRdK2N0

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

IShallRiseAgain posted:

It doesn't have to be a timeless thing no, but it has to be something that has actual value. The point of the comic is that capitalism will destroy everything in its path and that people will continue to try and support it. The point of the comic obviously isn't specifically about malls, and I never said it was. However, that's a dumb example for a thing to show the evils of capitalism. It'd be like showing the robot destroying a McDonalds or a coal mine.

...uh, correct me if I'm wrong, but the joke isn't "Now the capitalism robot has destroyed the sacred institution of the shopping mall but we need to keep supporting it" it's "Now the capitalism robot has destroyed a large building and killed all of its inhabitants but we need to keep supporting it". The fact that it landed on a mall is just quick shorthand for "it just killed a bunch more people", the type of building isn't particularly important so long as it's one that has a lot of people in it.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah capitalism is a unfeeling, uncaring force that causes insane amounts of suffering and death yet we keep bending over backwards to prop it up and justify the lives it destroys. That's it, that's the point. Why you would choose to fixate on the mall of all things is very strange. This is even more straightforward than that sealion comic that caused another big dumb slapfight a few pages back.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

IShallRiseAgain posted:

i regret to inform you that you are one of those people that thinks they are very smart but are actually very dumb

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

The free market destroyed this mall and its very bad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKyCSbaP_K8

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

No, I think you'll find that the point is that if you're going to build a giant robot, you need to make sure it doesn't have wobbly limbs, and you definitely want to keep it away from retail spaces. Obviously.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

IShallRiseAgain posted:

It might be hard to remember, but malls only died recently. I'm pretty sure that cartoon was made in 2008. Why? Cause I'm pretty sure the signature has 2008 there, and the subprime mortgage thing that happened that year made a lot of people start questioning this whole "free markets" thing.

But back then malls were big places full of people. They weren't even dying yet, teenagers were hanging out in them still, so much that they often had age-enforced curfews. If you were going to have an area where people probably were most of the time, you'd say "the mall." People actually openly worried about terrorist attacks on malls, since you could usually find them pretty full and since they were a shopping center, they were lax on security.

So, reading this comic as though it's saying "capitalism is bad because it killed the mall" is literally taking it out of context. Malls were not dead when this cartoon was drawn.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/c/AdamSomething

Adam Something's channel is really good if you want some good videos on urban planning and how good it'd be if there were less cars and better public transportation available to people.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I don’t appreciate the cruel anti-mecha message of that comic.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

KingKalamari posted:

...uh, correct me if I'm wrong, but the joke isn't "Now the capitalism robot has destroyed the sacred institution of the shopping mall but we need to keep supporting it" it's "Now the capitalism robot has destroyed a large building and killed all of its inhabitants but we need to keep supporting it". The fact that it landed on a mall is just quick shorthand for "it just killed a bunch more people", the type of building isn't particularly important so long as it's one that has a lot of people in it.
Also anyone not in the mall has lost their job and like gently caress are the chains that used to employ them gonna care even a little. If you want to get a little more abstract the mall represents "a way of life" which the free market has just destroyed by falling over.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bhzuitLM5w

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Jamie Faith posted:

This but unironically.

Malls are fun.

I mean malls still exist and I still like going but the “community hub” idea and the big malls trying to be Disney world basically is long gone.

Sydin posted:

Yeah capitalism is a unfeeling, uncaring force that causes insane amounts of suffering and death yet we keep bending over backwards to prop it up and justify the lives it destroys. That's it, that's the point. Why you would choose to fixate on the mall of all things is very strange. This is even more straightforward than that sealion comic that caused another big dumb slapfight a few pages back.

Goons are goons and not good at reading context clues.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I mean malls still exist and I still like going but the “community hub” idea and the big malls trying to be Disney world basically is long gone.

tell that to American Dream, which opened 2 years ago after the construction lied dormant for over a decade

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

WEM still exists for all that we may have opinions on it or its quality of function.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Last month my family was in town and we needed some time to kill between things we were doing so we went to a local mall. It was a bunch of stores all selling the same things plus a couple of repeat stores.

Pachylad
Jul 12, 2017

suddenly my sealion derail doesn't seem so bad

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Its only a matter of time before someone draws a derailmonster comic.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Pachylad posted:

In this essay, I will show that the Star Wars Prequels can be seen as a symbolic cautionary tale about the death of the American Mall, represented by the Jedi, a powerful but arguably problematic group whose omnipresence and adjacency to government exposes a deep rot in the structures underpinning the Old Republic...

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

stillvisions posted:

In this essay, I will show that the Star Wars Prequels can be seen as a symbolic cautionary tale about the death of the American Mall, represented by the Jedi, a powerful but arguably problematic group whose omnipresence and adjacency to government exposes a deep rot in the structures underpinning the Old Republic...

I saw Zac Snyder wearing a Star Wars shirt in a mall

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Violet_Sky posted:

I saw Zac Snyder wearing a Star Wars shirt in a mall

He was going into the Ayn Rand store. His was perfect.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Alaois posted:

tell that to American Dream, which opened 2 years ago after the construction lied dormant for over a decade
glad to hear dusty's still working.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Pachylad posted:

Really odd how this thread mostly centered on videos critiquing and analyzing art, media, and video games isn’t good at parsing political cartoons.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Pachylad posted:

It wasn't your fault.

Nuns with Guns posted:

Really odd how this thread mostly centered on videos critiquing and analyzing art, media, and video games isn’t good at parsing political cartoons.
It wasn't a good political cartoon.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Nuns with Guns posted:

to be fair, the thread is mostly centred on watching videos critiquing and analysing art, media, and video games; not doing critique and analysis on art, media, and video games.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

The United States posted:

You have to try to misinterpret it the way it was. It's honestly amazing someone looked at that and went "so this cartoonist is mad that malls are dead"

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

The United States posted:

On the other hand, there hasn’t been a good political cartoon since they stopped using the woodcut relief mass printing method.

Ghostlight posted:

to be fair, the thread is mostly centred on watching videos critiquing and analysing art, media, and video games; not doing critique and analysis on art, media, and video games.

That is the tricky bit, I suppose.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

muscles like this! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iji6xzorcqc
Danny talks about a completely bizarre MTV dating show that is intensely creepy and is completely unclear why the contestants want to win.

Definitely a fake show, probably to everyone's relief. I can't place his name but I'm 100% certain that guy's friend with the fauxhawk is an actor. I recognized him immediately.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
"They have to know personal details about Pink?

AND THEY DO KNOW PERSONAL DETAILS ABOUT PINK?!" absolutely killed me

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
man, league of legends is really branching out all over the place huh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkNj5O-cxvY&hd=1

no stop stay away, don't touch it max lest it infect you too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M1J-_BRHD0&hd=1

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Yeah it sucks, I want to see as little of Riot as possible most days.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm gonna try their rpg... without paying for it.

:pirate:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yeah it's a monkey's paw thing, the game looks really really good and the cannons are probably some of the best people to be heading a project like that, it just really sucks that they're working for riot of all people