Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

(In SFF at least) quake is naturally aoe which means it’s probably less about nuking and more about bringing enemies down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
If anyone wants a good followup to Chrono Trigger just go download Another Eden instead of playing Chrono Cross.

CC is a bad game and while I get that nostalgia is a hell of a drug, if they're going to remaster a Chrono game then do a Pixel Remaster of Chrono Trigger. You know, the game people actually like.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

jokes posted:

(In SFF at least) quake is naturally aoe which means it’s probably less about nuking and more about bringing enemies down

Quake isn’t even in non-SFF FFXII. SFF replaces the useless Gravity spells with brand new Quake spells.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Evil Fluffy posted:

If anyone wants a good followup to Chrono Trigger just go download Another Eden instead of playing Chrono Cross.

CC is a bad game and while I get that nostalgia is a hell of a drug, if they're going to remaster a Chrono game then do a Pixel Remaster of Chrono Trigger. You know, the game people actually like.

I think the aesthetics of the pixel remasters show pretty definitively that Square Enix is not capable of producing a remaster of Chrono Trigger that improves on the original at this time.

They’ve done a better job with PS1 and PS2 ports, so Cross would have a better chance.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

nrook posted:

I think the aesthetics of the pixel remasters show pretty definitively that Square Enix is not capable of producing a remaster of Chrono Trigger that improves on the original at this time.

They’ve done a better job with PS1 and PS2 ports, so Cross would have a better chance.

wh...h...huh?
most people agree..that the aesthetics are better right now????

????????????????????????????????????

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Lady Radia posted:

wh...h...huh?

This thread would disagree

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

thetoughestbean posted:

This thread would disagree

some people in this thread would let's not pretend this is a universal opinion here

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Evil Fluffy posted:

Actually, Chrono Cross is good

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Blockhouse posted:

some people in this thread would let's not pretend this is a universal opinion here

I can’t claim to have a particular opinion one way or another about the aesthetics of the PR remakes I just know that the most communicated opinion about them in this thread is “I don’t like it”

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
almost every opinion in this thread i read was "looked bad, but then played, and looked good. music A++ would recommend as best version of this particular FF". if this is NOT the vibe feel free to vote me out of the thread survivor-island style, however, arguing that the opinion was "these SNES remakes are REALLY BAD" is so off the mark i was FORCED TO RESPOND

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

took down Omega at level 40 :haw:

1 dual-wielding spellblade, 1 healer, and 1 bard spamming Romeo's Ballad

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

The best thing you can say about the way the PRs look is that it's incredibly easy to mod in better sprites

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Scrap Dragon posted:

The best thing you can say about the way the PRs look is that it's incredibly easy to mod in better sprites

actually I think the best thing I can say is ""I like the PR sprites"

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Harrow posted:

Quake isn’t even in non-SFF FFXII. SFF replaces the useless Gravity spells with brand new Quake spells.

Yeah this is one of the annoying things about enemies who can actively change their elemental weakness and become immune to all other types, is it's really loving hard to hit earth weakness. Usually I just resort to throwing nonelemental stuff at enemies who do that.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Offhand, I think the only ways to hit Earth weakness are one mid-level pole, one type of gun ammunition, and just summoning Hashmal yourself (who's gotten near the very end of the game). Non-elemental is pretty much your way to go.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pixel Remaster 3 is the only one I can bring myself to recommend since all the others are missing chunks of content.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Lady Radia posted:

wh...h...huh?

Personally I think the sprites look a bit worse than the SNES originals, but the music upgrades are well worth the visuals and it still looks a hell of a lot better than those mobile ports they were selling.

CubeTheory posted:

Chrono Cross is good right up until the final boss.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Barudak posted:

Pixel Remaster 3 is the only one I can bring myself to recommend since all the others are missing chunks of content.

Who the gently caress would to play the bonus content of 2 in this day and age?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Why would you not? Running through the land of the dead to beat the emperor again after he took over heaven rules. :colbert:

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

chrono cross has one of the best soundtracks of that era. and one of the most bizarre stories. i actually like the chrono trigger tie in but you have to admit it doesnt make a lot of sense.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

There were only two new things in that mode: Scott's animation set and the Light Emperor sprite. The three maps were flipped versions of Poft, Jade Passage, and Pandaemonium.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I have never thought to myself "you know what I need? more FFII dungeons"

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Who the gently caress would to play the bonus content of 2 in this day and age?

Putting Ultima on Minwu is just a joy. It turns him from an amazing healer into just a nuke

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

CubeTheory posted:

I am very much looking forward to buying the soundtrack and enjoying the game..........'s music.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Contents of the second update for Final Fantasy V Pixel Remaster posted:

The main content of the update is as follows.

Battle Adjustments
The ability ""Cover"" has been altered so it now activates when in critical condition.
In battles that cannot be escaped from, the ability ""Hide"" has been changed so it continues, even when all characters other than the hidden character are wiped out.
The ability ""Barehanded"" has been adjusted to reduce correctly when certain command abilities are used, such as ""Rapid Fire"" and ""Jump"".
The HP reduction effect of ""Thornlet"" now continues throughout battle.
A fix has been implemented meaning that when a character wearing an accessory that grants additional effects is KO, Petrify or turned into a zombie, and those effects are ended, the effects will now automatically return after their status is restored to normal.
The status ailment resistance of some monsters has been decreased.
The behaviour of certain monsters using non-standard counters when hit by special kinds of attacks, such as multi-hit attacks, has now been fixed.
For some enemies, the conditions for a special counter occurring, for example, when defeated) have been adjusted, and if there is event, it will trigger correctly without skipping.
There is an issue where counter actions and events may no longer occur if three or more consecutive attacks are performed. We plan to fix this issue in future.

Map/Event Adjustments
Movement speed has been decreased for the ability ""Dash"".
Black Chocobo movement patterns have been adjusted, making capture easier.

Bug Fixes
The following bugs have been fixed.
We apologise profoundly for the inconvenience caused.

Battle
There were some cases where using the abilities ""Control"", ""Catch"" and ""Release"" in succession would cause the processing to slow down.
There continue to be some cases where the behaviour of ""Release"" is affected when the selected monster disappears before ""Catch"" is carried out, and a different monster is caught. Additionally, if a character leaves the party while monsters are caught, then they will have lost those monsters when they rejoin the party. We plan to fix these two issues in future.
The turn order may have performed unsually when using the time magic spell ""Quick"" with the ability ""Dualcast"".
The game may have performed unusually when the ability ""Mimic"" is used under certain conditions.
Using the ability ""Lance"" on an enemy whose movements have been stopped would prevent the game from progressing further.
There were some cases where parameter changes for abilities and equipment may not have been properly reflected.
There were some cases where the ATB gauge was not correctly maintained when performing a counter action.
The enemy skill ""Danse Macarbe"" also targeted party members who had temporarily left the battlefield.
When using a “Gold Needle” against certain monsters like ""Stone Golems"", the game may have performed unusually, preventing the game from progressing further.
There were some cases where the effect of the ""Gold Hairpin"" that reduces MP consumed by half did not function correctly.
There were some cases where additional effects on equipped weapons did not occur correctly when afflicted with the ""Zombie"" status ailment, causing the game to perform unusually.
The motion when using the ability ""Time Magic"" ""Iainuki"" was incorrect."

Map/Events
There were some cases where the battle with the boss monster, ""Necrophobe"", would not trigger under certain conditions. We have adjusted it so that this battle will trigger again if you load a save from before you entered the final floor, or if you load a completed game save created after this update has been released. If the bug has already occurred for you, then we apologise for the trouble, but ask you to use the above methods to resolve the issue.
There were some cases where the landmass settings on the world map and the movement speeds for vehicles were not correct.
The changes to landmass on the world map were not correct at a certain time.
There was a place on the sea at the beginning of the game where unintended battle encounters would occur.
There were some cases where you became unable to return to the vehicle that you were previously riding after certain events had occurred.
After exiting certain dungeons, the teleport destination may have performed unusually when using ""Teleport"" from another location.
In certain maps including the ""Tower of Walse"", moving whilst afflicted with the ""Toad"" or ""Mini"" status may have prevented the game from progressing further.
There were some cases where certain conditions during dungeons or battles with a time limit would prevent the game from progressing further.
There were some cases were certain control inputs would cause events to occur repeatedly.
Reloading a quick save from certain points caused some battles that should have occured to not trigger.
Reloading a quick save from certain points prevented the game from progressing further.
If you recovered to full HP (for example, by using a ""Cottage"") whilst afflicted with the ""Zombie"" status ailment, then you would become unable to cure it with ""Holy Water"".
In the sound player, some songs had errors in their play time.

We plan to continue performing updates in future, in addition to the content adjusted in this patch.
Thank you for your ongoing support of FINAL FANTASY V and the Pixel Remaster series.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

They were waiting for that one person upthread to get the Necrophobe bug before fixing it.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Thank god the MP bug is gone. The only graphical glitch is the antlion den in the bestiary.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

Blue Labrador posted:

I was talking with my friend about Amano's artwork, and the disparity between his art and characters' spritework came up. When it comes to characters like Lenna/Faris/Terra, do people prefer the blondes of Amano, or the more varied hair colors of the sprites?

Never been a fan of his character designs, but his monster designs are always great

the FF PR galleries are a treat. They’ve been scanned from original art. Previously we got scans from strategy guides and instruction manuals, which are uh, printed on newsprint and appear alongside text, not exactly archival.

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

quote:

Movement speed has been decreased for the ability ""Dash"".

Boooooooooooo

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

dolphinbomb posted:

Boooooooooooo
I understand why (jesus christ you're too loving fast with a thief/freelancerthief in the party) but on the other hand come on too fast is fun and too slow is not

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011
In the very least there will probably be a mod to restore the sprint speed eventually.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Controversial opinion that is possibly bad: I think the PRs are so far the definitive versions of the games and are generally excellent. Also, I never liked any of the bonus content and thought they were cheap tack-ons onto already complete games in order to sell the various ports over the years. Going back and just releasing the OG versions is cool and good.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Honestly, my only real complaints about the Pixel Remasters (which I am otherwise very happy with) are:
  • I really, really wish they were either on Switch or had controller support on mobile. I would take either. I suspect most would prefer the "put them on Switch" option but I'm flexible.
  • Reusing the spell animations is disappointing and will cross from "disappointing" to "very disappointing" if some of FFVI's more distinct spell animations don't make it in.
Other than that I think they're pretty great.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Nov 24, 2021

Electromax
May 6, 2007
https://twitter.com/vgcartography/status/1463505558191984646?s=20
More FFT stuff, trying to wrap my head around the plot now that I am using a more understandable translation. Matsuno plots sure have a tone don't they.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

On the topic of the reused spell animations, I watched videos on Youtube with all the black magic spells from FFV GBA and then the Pixel Remaster spells and I honestly wonder if the Pixel Remaster's spell animations were based on the FFV ones to begin with. All of the elemental spells are similar enough to their FFV SNES/GBA counterparts that if these animations hadn't been reused in the earlier Pixel Remasters, I would think they were pretty nice translations/updates of the FFV spell animations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The PR sprite work is great but definitely not period appropriate which I'm sure is getting a lot of people up in arms.

The battle backgrounds are meh but I understand the difficulty in making the battle scene work in unknowable amounts of resolutions.

The spells and the map water effects are starting to wear thin but also I'm 50 hours into PRs so :shrug:

Considering they seem to have made Final Fantasy Rpg maker for themself I don't think we'll be waiting forever for the bonus content, even if the definitive version of FF2 is the one you play the least. Also possible I'm way off base here but I don't think you make this modular set that can hold every 2d Final Fantasy, sell a decent amount, and say "wrap it up and throw the source in the file cabinet."

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I haven’t been able to find gently caress-all for Sprite replacements and I’m upset there isn’t a Cloud/Tifa/Aeristh/Barrett sprite replacement mod.

Unless there is and I haven’t been able to find it

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

zedprime posted:

Also possible I'm way off base here but I don't think you make this modular set that can hold every 2d Final Fantasy, sell a decent amount, and say "wrap it up and throw the source in the file cabinet."

I don't like to be cynical but this does sound like something Square Enix would absolutely do.

Then again they're actually using the HD-2D architecture to remake Dragon Quest III so maybe there's hope they won't just let a thing that works sit and collect dust.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
FFXVII will be developed using the PR engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

I spent the night with my friend playing some FFTA2 together and we had a total blast. I always liked the game, but playing it again really crystalized how fun the AP and job systems are. I didnt realize it when I was younger, but--as someone relatively casual--the early-game Blue Magic is designed well to boot. I don't remember which spells are learnable, but we already got 3 of them, and the process was organic, exciting, and not overly gamebreaking.

It's especially been a great time as his only experience with FF has been raiding in FF14, so he gets to recognize recurring classes and elements in hindsight, and and I get to geek out about them.