Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Having changed cell carriers twice this year, I can say they all suck to some degree, but AT&T is definitely worse than Verizon.

To port my number from Boost I had to call them to get my account number, which is not accessible through any other means. I had to politely shut down their retention attempt, which was made easier because they are going to T-Mobile towers which absolutely suck in my neighborhood to the point of effectively not having service.

Activating my service on AT&T with a new phone was easy, but getting my number ported was a trial by ordeal that involved contact with 4 or reps over the course of a week that eventually led to escalation to tier 2 support who finally got it sorted out.

Then I discovered AT&T service is almost as bad as T-Mobile at my house, so I got a Verizon sim and activated service, then had to get my number ported. That only took a day or so, and only involved 1 or 2 reps, so was a much better experience.

I went ahead and got a cheaper secondary phone and got it up and running on Tracfone so I have redundancy in case I ever have to deal with this kind of bullshit again.

Yeah ATT over the phone support is a nightmare. As much as it sucks to do it is so much easier to just walk into a store and have them sort out any account issues you have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Zil posted:

Yeah ATT over the phone support is a nightmare. As much as it sucks to do it is so much easier to just walk into a store and have them sort out any account issues you have.

I talked to a store but once I was in number porting hell they couldn't do much - it would have required cancelling the port request and going through another system and I had already had several days sunk into it and I didn't want my phone number to get memoryholed by AT&T's hosed up systems.

I tried to be extra nice to the phone reps I talked to - they were clearly in foreign countries with variable fluency in English, and having to give my address turned out to be a challenge since they weren't familiar with the whole street, city, state, zip format, nor familiar with the names of US states.

I try to be nice to phone support in general, especially having worked similar positions in the past and knowing the dogshit systems companies often use in-house, and the complete lack of power and agency afforded to reps.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Unperson_47 posted:

It sucks but please don't take it out on the poor person that has to do that job. I'm sure they hate doing that song and dance too.

I didn't, I don't.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

yeah all the cell provider crap is why i'm using an mvno now. i used mnvos for burner phones for years and when i got fed up with att after having left verizon ages ago, i figured i'd just try one and it's pretty great. there's the possibility of throttled traffic but i've not experienced it yet and changing mvnos is pretty easy.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

knuthgrush posted:

yeah all the cell provider crap is why i'm using an mvno now. i used mnvos for burner phones for years and when i got fed up with att after having left verizon ages ago, i figured i'd just try one and it's pretty great. there's the possibility of throttled traffic but i've not experienced it yet and changing mvnos is pretty easy.

My prepaid Verizon plan stacks up really well against the MVNOs, and in a couple months will be even less than what I was paying on Boost. Tracfone seems fine so far, but I barely use that phone. I spent years on Cricket (bailed because they switched to AT&T towers, obsoleting my phone) and then Boost (bailed because they were moving to T-mobile towers, obsoleting my phone again) and they were both fine. I seriously looked into Xfinity Mobile as an MVNO since I already have them for Internet, but their BYOP options were stupidly limited and wouldn't accept my phone even though they sell a model of the same phone.

My options are also limited because even with an MVNO I need one that uses Verizon towers or I can't use my phone at home.

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime

My Lovely Horse posted:

Takes a certain kind of brain to count the dogs at peak dog-walking time and assume this must be the average.

I don't know how the post got to SA but I wrote that and it takes a certain kind of brain to take that seriously.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

That is loving amazing. Just the sheer balls of it.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

:lol:

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Amazing.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
probably fuckin hot babes on that couch right now

loddite
Apr 17, 2012

I wish everyone who dies goes to hell no matter what.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Justin Dong posting some big noises here

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Justin DONG?

Or Justin DING DONG?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
bigly noises

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
Nextdoor OP:

quote:

Speeding. I guess I will call FHP or FDLE to try and get something done bout the speeding cars that think this road is a racetrack

Nextdoor Reply:

quote:

Well, how about this scenario… We have thousands of people crossing our border every day. The moment they set foot on US soil they become illegal immigrants and they are welcomed by the government. Now, let’s look at ---. There are totally unreasonable, crazy, don’t give a drat drivers who think the roads belong to them first. They could care less about the law. And, then, there are “us” the folks that spend their lives trying to live by the laws that govern us. So, to me, this attitude of the county not wanting to do much about the illegal drivers is exactly what is happening on the national level. Personally, I think we are doomed. So, why the hell should we continue to abide by the law? I think only our personal goals and sense of faith in justice prevail. I apologize for the length of this but I guess I just had to say it.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
You know, I never looked at it that way before. :thunk:

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Wow! What a delightful person!

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

That person is definitely posted up at the Wendy's drive through 24/7.

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

I'm not on Nextdoor (unless I can find a way to defeat their real name/address checks) but I'm in a few Facebook community groups for my area which is sortakinda adjacent to Waukesha County, WI - and let me tell you, the past 36 hours or so have been rough with shitloads of "those people" talk after the parade incident. Forget dog whistles - these are loving dog sirens.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Chief McHeath posted:

Nextdoor OP:

Nextdoor Reply:

I can’t help but hear the reply in my head in Trump’s voice.

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008

This seems like it can't be real because it's too perfect, but I so want it to be real. That thumb-head-scammer-man owns.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

sarcastx posted:

I'm not on Nextdoor (unless I can find a way to defeat their real name/address checks) but I'm in a few Facebook community groups for my area which is sortakinda adjacent to Waukesha County, WI - and let me tell you, the past 36 hours or so have been rough with shitloads of "those people" talk after the parade incident. Forget dog whistles - these are loving dog sirens.

Waukesha County is built on white flight from Milwaukee going back to the 60s, so… yeah, a poo poo ton of racism.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
Got this one on my feed tonight.

There are no neighborhoods around here called Tree Streets. There is no Tree Street.

"Let your kid drop off or mail me a letter that specifically has a return address..."

I'm no CSI actor, but that's a pedophile cataloging addresses he will then know have kids in them, yeah?

e: Googled the address he posted and yikes, Googled the address he lives at and it is half a mile or less from an elementary school, a middle school, a couple K-8 Christian academies and two other daycares.

Chief McHeath fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Nov 25, 2021

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Yeah I would go ahead and report that.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

This popped up on mine recently:

quote:

Sticky Note on car? Hi, should I be concerned if someone put a blue sticky note on the back of my car? I did not park on the street, just in a regular parking lot at a restaurant.

It might be nothing but I had an uneasy feeling about it.

Thanks for your feedback!

quote:

I thought I read somewhere, but I could be wrong, that it is to distract you. They distract you so they can either rob you or maybe carjack you.

quote:

Don't get out to look at it. That might be a ploy to get you out of car so they can attack you or steal your purse or car.

quote:

I heard that is a tactic for trafficking. It is so you can take a minute to stop and take the sticky note off your car. Some will put water bottles on your car as well. Please be sure when you see something on your car in a parking lot do NOT stop and get it. Just keep moving and drive away. Be careful!

quote:

Don't touch it with your bare hands. Some ppl put stuff on to make you pass out once you get in your car then they'll be watching,ready to take advantage or kill you. It's a scary world out there

Literally everything is just a trick so people can carjack or human traffic you. Watch out!

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Elder Postsman posted:

Literally everything is just a trick so people can carjack or human traffic you. Watch out!

In this very thread even!

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Elder Postsman posted:

Variations on that were rife on Facebook a year or two ago - I think it was usually a windshield wiper lifted or something in those.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

If you’ve read this far, I’ve already human trafficked you. :pervert:

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Ah yes, the ol' 'sticky note as blotter paper so laced with Fet it knocks them out and then I drag the body out of the car later maybe' routine.
*rubs hands together thuggishly*

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Elder Postsman posted:

“Do not touch anything unnecessarily. Beware of pretty girls in dance halls and parks who may be spies, as well as bicycles, revolvers, uniforms, arms, dead horses, and men lying on roads — they are not there accidentally.”

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

A Strange Aeon posted:

“Do not touch anything unnecessarily. Beware of pretty girls in dance halls and parks who may be spies, as well as bicycles, revolvers, uniforms, arms, dead horses, and men lying on roads — they are not there accidentally.”

Welcome to the life of a paranoid schizophrenic.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

Chief McHeath posted:

Got this one on my feed tonight.

There are no neighborhoods around here called Tree Streets. There is no Tree Street.

"Let your kid drop off or mail me a letter that specifically has a return address..."

I'm no CSI actor, but that's a pedophile cataloging addresses he will then know have kids in them, yeah?

e: Googled the address he posted and yikes, Googled the address he lives at and it is half a mile or less from an elementary school, a middle school, a couple K-8 Christian academies and two other daycares.

The paranoia is coming from inside the thread.

I think NextDoor names the neighborhoods themselves and you can only chose what they've picked. There's at least one around me with a name nobody uses.

It's probably just a dude trying to have some good clean fun.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Wish I lived in the suburbs just so I could see NextDoor insanity. I live out in the middle of nowhere so it'd probably be just endless pics of snakes people needlessly killed, everyone of them a rattlesnake of some made up, imaginary variety or "copperhead moccasins."

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

AKA Pseudonym posted:

The paranoia is coming from inside the thread.

I think NextDoor names the neighborhoods themselves and you can only chose what they've picked. There's at least one around me with a name nobody uses.

It's probably just a dude trying to have some good clean fun.

Not defending the weird child address harvesting thing, but NextDoor does seem to use weird neighborhood names. The one it puts me in is not a name used by anyone outside of NextDoor, and is named after the biggest local park in my general vicinity.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Unperson_47 posted:

Wish I lived in the suburbs just so I could see NextDoor insanity. I live out in the middle of nowhere so it'd probably be just endless pics of snakes people needlessly killed, everyone of them a rattlesnake of some made up, imaginary variety or "copperhead moccasins."

What the hell!!!

OGDanDogg
Sep 16, 2002
To feed the paranoia, I feel like this guy is trying to do a timeline reboot.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Yeah I don't recognize 90% of the neighborhood names around here. No idea where they came up with them. Not even sure what my neighborhood is called. How do I find that out?

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Chief McHeath posted:

Ah yes just like...*checks notes* every suburban house in existence.

I think the Nextdoor paranoia is getting to you, dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Yeah I don't recognize 90% of the neighborhood names around here. No idea where they came up with them. Not even sure what my neighborhood is called. How do I find that out?

I can swear I've seen a map of my town that had names for all the different neighborhoods and it had nothing to do with Next Door.