Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I'm just curious if there will be any last AM4 processors or if AMD is moving right on to DDR5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

FuturePastNow posted:

I'm just curious if there will be any last AM4 processors or if AMD is moving right on to DDR5

That's what I'm waiting/hoping for. The equivalent of a 5600 or 5800 with 3D cache would be a nice capstone and feel like a decent upgrade from the 3600X I have now.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

FuturePastNow posted:

The 3D cache Zen 3 refresh is coming to AM4. Zen 4 will be AM5. Both are next year apparently (Zen 3 refresh at the start, Zen 4 in Q4)

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The 3D cache Zen 3 refresh is coming to AM4. Zen 4 will be AM5. Both are next year apparently (Zen 3 refresh at the start, Zen 4 in Q4)

what I want to know is what the gently caress happened to Chagall :mad:

there's no more clear-cut case of "we don't have to release this yet so you're going to keep buying the last-gen product and you're gonna like it" than Chagall. Any TR sold is worth 2-3x the margin of a Ryzen so it's absolutely worth doing even at smaller volumes, they just don't have competition so they don't bother trying.

At least when (if?) it finally comes out it'll probably be vcache but there's really not a good excuse for not doing it a year ago. selling ryzens? sure, how about selling TRs at 2-3x the margin? selling epycs? well, you're selling ryzens at much lower margins, aren't you?

it's the onnnneee segment where Intel doesn't have literally any viable competitor even if you squint funny, and AMD immediately stopped trying to "advance the tech" the second they didn't have to

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
It's high margin per unit, but it might not actually be all that profitable. How many more HEDT CPUs would they have actually sold? Is it the most efficient allocation of resources?

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
That 12 core CCD news is interesting. If AMD follows the current pattern, they may raise the bar for the lowest tier of CPU to 6 cores.

K8.0 posted:

Is it the most efficient allocation of resources?
This is probably the key really. Anyone working on TR isn't working on Zen 4, which is already going to be a late arrival compared to prior generations.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Ryzen 6899 just to screw with people.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Paul MaudDib posted:

there's no more clear-cut case of "we don't have to release this yet so you're going to keep buying the last-gen product and you're gonna like it" than Chagall. Any TR sold is worth 2-3x the margin of a Ryzen so it's absolutely worth doing even at smaller volumes, they just don't have competition so they don't bother trying.

At least when (if?) it finally comes out it'll probably be vcache but there's really not a good excuse for not doing it a year ago. selling ryzens? sure, how about selling TRs at 2-3x the margin? selling epycs? well, you're selling ryzens at much lower margins, aren't you?

it's the onnnneee segment where Intel doesn't have literally any viable competitor even if you squint funny, and AMD immediately stopped trying to "advance the tech" the second they didn't have to

A year ago, during the heart of the pandemic, and some serious supply chain issues, while not being able to meet demand for regular desktop CPUs? During that time you say?

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Not sure if I should swing for a 5900x or 5950x now while these sales are going on when I was expecting to upgrade to maybe Zen 5 later once DDR5 is more price-performance efficient. It's not like I'm seeing discounts on the first gen Zen CPUs worth anything and even 2000-series Ryzen aren't as low now as when I saw Microcenter putting them on firesale. Perhaps the better time is when the next Ryzen processors are announced? My primary CPU usage is from video encoding and some ML tasks but because it's all hobby stuff it's not a huge deal to be a tad slow either for me.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I just got a R7 5800X to replace the R7 1700 because I need more single core performance. I figure it'll last me until DDR5 is more mature and not $1000 for 32 GB while also being out of stock. Doesn't feel great to buy older stuff (I mean it's current, I just expect to see 6000 series in 6 months now that I've bought 5000), but it was relatively cheap. The R7 1700 was kind of a sidegrade to my haswell i5-4670K since the single core was about the same or worse (with OCing on both), but the extra cores have been nice.

Rexxed fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Nov 24, 2021

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Paul MaudDib posted:

Better have V-Cache, if it releases that late.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Amazon has the 5700G for $290 if anyone needs decent integrated graphics.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Antonline has the 5600X for $270, via it's ebay store. Might be an all time low?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AMD-Ryzen-...1-127632-2357-0

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Lmao 5800X is $300 at micro center

https://www.microcenter.com/product/630284/amd-ryzen-7-5800x-vermeer-38ghz-8-core-am4-boxed-processor-heatsink-not-included

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

TTV/Nikkei Asia reporting that AMD will switch to Samsung for future 3nm parts.

https://www.club386.com/tsmc-apple-first-3nm-policy-leads-to-amd-and-qualcomm-mutiny/

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Neat. I didn't realize Samsung was that close to rolling out 3nm.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Rinkles posted:

Samsung still produces a crap ton of chip and nand.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Samsung 3nm is also supposed to be a lot closer to TSMC than previous generations of Samsung - assuming the move to GAAFET works.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Samsung knows they're the ones getting all of Taiwan's work when China inevitably reclaims it. Its just a matter of time. I honestly think it's a little foolish having so much reliance on tsmc because of this.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Samsung knows they're the ones getting all of Taiwan's work when China inevitably reclaims it. Its just a matter of time. I honestly think it's a little foolish having so much reliance on tsmc because of this.

We're still looking at 2-3 years of the "great chip shortage". With apple dropping another 2 lines of CPUs it's game over for any sort of space at TSMC.

I mean its still kind a dumb that only one particular company is the literal linchpin of our society, but thats another convo.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

They're certainly putting a lot into their Arizona buildout, that's for sure

wibble
May 20, 2001
Meep meep
I'm currently building my first AMD rig, I've just got a Ryzen9 5900x delivered. I was planning on re-using the memory from my old system as they are all 16GB but after research I'm not too sure as it seems AMD systems are more sensitive to speeds than Intel.
My Corsair sticks are DDR4-2132 and the Samsung are DDR4-2400 so I guess they are both slower. Is it worth dumping them and buying some DDR4-3200 as I don't want to be throwing away performance on a new build and re-sale on the old DIMM should be ok as they are 16GB? Or is memory speed performance a little overblown?

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Anything less than 3600 is a colossal waste on a 5900

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
Samsung's 3nm is GAAFET whereas TSMC's will still be FinFET. It will be interesting to see how much a difference the new transistor tech makes.

incoherent posted:

We're still looking at 2-3 years of the "great chip shortage". With apple dropping another 2 lines of CPUs it's game over for any sort of space at TSMC.

The first customer shipping chips based on TSMC's 4nm process isn't Apple: https://www.anandtech.com/show/17070/mediatek-announces-dimensity-9000

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

China hasn’t stopped claiming it for 70 years and it hasn’t made any difference. Maybe someday it will, but I don’t buy the saber rattling or news media warmongering. Way too much for everyone to lose.

But I’ll shuttup cause that’s prolly a topic for a very different forum (that I will not go to ever)

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Cygni posted:

China hasn’t stopped claiming it for 70 years and it hasn’t made any difference. Maybe someday it will, but I don’t buy the saber rattling or news media warmongering. Way too much for everyone to lose.

But I’ll shuttup cause that’s prolly a topic for a very different forum (that I will not go to ever)

The only forum with a good China thread is LAN.

But yeah, I live in China and try to listen to Chinese media, the Taiwan stuff is all just for the domestic audience, getting people pumped up about something but it's not gonna happen. Imagine what would happen to China's economy, China wants to be able to fab chips that can compete with Taiwan. One way of doing that is I guess destroying all Taiwan chip fabs but lol that's not the route they're planning on and being an even bigger pariah because they attacked Taiwan would make that a million times harder.

But, still, China isn't the only reason having one single small island where we make the vast majority of chips is bad. Drought, plague, asteroid, whatever.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Rinkles posted:

Samsung's been doing process improvements at the same pace as TSMC (the two had a partnership around the 7nm process). Nvidia's been using Samsung for GPUs for a while now. But the thing is, Samsung has tuned everything for their own cellphone chips first and foremost, as opposed to TSMC who goes with "best for the most customers" choices. So for high-performance CPUs & GPUs they've generally not been as good a choice. We'll see if AMD is able to work with that, or if Samsung's changed their priorities.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Shipon posted:

They're certainly putting a lot into their Arizona buildout, that's for sure

Samsung is also planning on building another chip plant in Texas. Not sure what it will be making at that site though.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

What's with all these chip manufacturers building super water-intensive fabs in literal deserts?

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!
A few years ago I was trawling the chinese internet for some info on PDKs (Physical Design Kits, IANAEE but it's kinda like the description you load into your tools to target a specific process, also standard cell libraries and SRAM generators; kinda like a SDK/API/compiler but the target is TSMC 28nm or whatever). TSMC's were not shared as they were steganographically tagged (who cares) but also they had an agreement with the government and you would be prosecuted.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

vanilla slimfast posted:

What's with all these chip manufacturers building super water-intensive fabs in literal deserts?

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/06/why-do-chip-makers-keep-building-foundries-in-the-arizona-desert/

arizona already has chip fabs so there's a workforce, and the universities have programs dedicated to it
solar power so they can claim they're carbon-neutral
seismically stable, few natural disasters
massive tax breaks from a republican government

Also fabs can be designed to recycle / re-use a lot of the water in their processes. It's expensive, so maybe you don't do it as much in places that normally get plenty of rain like Taiwan (and then have problems in a drought).

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

vanilla slimfast posted:

Austin isn't a desert

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Looking for an upgrade with sales this week for gaming pc since the Ryzen 2400g I got cheap is kinda the weak spot right now. Anything good on sale in the $300 range this week that would fit in an AM4 b350 board?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
do you have a dGPU?

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Yeah I’ve got a 1080.

Would like upgrading board/new case sometime soon too but probably not enough money to do all that at once.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Zerilan posted:

Looking for an upgrade with sales this week for gaming pc since the Ryzen 2400g I got cheap is kinda the weak spot right now. Anything good on sale in the $300 range this week that would fit in an AM4 b350 board?

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Looks like it’s in-store only. I don’t live near any location.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Not compatible with that board right?

I assumed 3600s would be cheap now, but it looks like availability is keeping the price up (way too high).

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
As someone who also owns a B350, it sucks real bad that there's no official support for 5000-series CPUs

FWIW I went from a 2400G to a 3100, then from there to an i5-10400. I could have gone with a 3600 but I wanted to diversify and the Intel offering was cheap at the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

AMD does not support 5000 series parts on B350 boards, although a few board vendors have hacked together their own beta BIOS to make it work (Asrock for example).

Zerilan, I would search your exact board model to look up the CPU support list, and check if there is a beta bios available. If not, the top CPU the board will support is likely a Zen 2 part (Ryzen 3000 series) of some kind, which are no longer in production and likely wont have any real "sales" since they are all sold by third party sellers at this point and not the big retailers.

That said, it looks like you can pick up a 3700x that would be a very very substantial upgrade for around $260 on ebay.