Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Shageletic posted:

Hearing reactions from friends who know nothing about the property has been a trip.

GoT has ppp thinking WoT is for kids bc it doesn't have way too much sex and ppl dying. I could point out the numerous body disections in the first ep but ppl I guess are put off by the young ages of the cast and the lack of characterization and subversion so far in the eps.

I like how GoT watchers talk about asoiaf like it came out before the wheel of time and that the wheel of time steals ideas from their precious perfect show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
What'll really blow their minds is how the LOTR movies took cues in the adaptation from the WoT books.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Forget that, the LOTR films directly stole a shot from Army of Darkness.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
Still kind of bugs me they didn’t use the book prologue to open the series.

Would have been a nice way to say “see, this isn’t for kids and this isn’t GoT either”.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Moraine splattering Trollics made that abundantly clear in the first episode

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

th3t00t posted:

Would have been a nice way to say “see, this isn’t for kids and this isn’t GoT either”.

I think they wanted to avoid anything to do with the Winter Dragon adaptation.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

WHY?! Billy Zane was an amazing Ishamael.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

RC Cola posted:

I like how GoT watchers talk about asoiaf like it came out before the wheel of time and that the wheel of time steals ideas from their precious perfect show

Hot take: GRRM stole the north from Tad Williams and the Game of Houses from Jordan :colbert:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I don't think Tad Williams invented compass directions

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

and the game of houses/great game has been around as a concept since basically forever

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Give Jordan credit for where he was a literary pioneer: The sniffed-retort. The tugged braid. The smoothed skirt. Nobody has done justice to those plot elements since his passing.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

shadow puppet of a posted:

Give Jordan credit for where he was a literary pioneer: The sniffed-retort. The tugged braid. The smoothed skirt. Nobody has done justice to those plot elements since his passing.

Somebody wants his ears boxed.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

th3t00t posted:

Yeah it sucks. That prologue is great and could be incredibly effective if done by a decent director.

Just like His Dark Materials, the moderately-talented people behind this adaptation seem to think they can pull off some brilliant artistic feat in restructuring what is (or at least starts off with) a very simple, well-paced and gripping narrative.

The Witcher managed to come up with a cool and fun structure that worked, but it was dealing with a bunch of disparate short stories so that makes perfect sense - whatever happened, they were going to have to do something to tie them all together into a cohesive narrative whole.

It just isn't necessary here.

Anyways, nothing that can be done, and who knows how they're laying out the rest of the season - could be the next 5 episodes are good enough that their approach will make perfect sense when viewed with hindsight.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

El Grillo posted:

Yeah it sucks. That prologue is great and could be incredibly effective if done by a decent director.

Just like His Dark Materials, the moderately-talented people behind this adaptation seem to think they can pull off some brilliant artistic feat in restructuring what is (or at least starts off with) a very simple, well-paced and gripping narrative.

The Witcher managed to come up with a cool and fun structure that worked, but it was dealing with a bunch of disparate short stories so that makes perfect sense - whatever happened, they were going to have to do something to tie them all together into a cohesive narrative whole.

It just isn't necessary here.

Anyways, nothing that can be done, and who knows how they're laying out the rest of the season - could be the next 5 episodes are good enough that their approach will make perfect sense when viewed with hindsight.

We do know that Lews Therin was cast and had been filming in S1.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I am kinda wondering if they're going to have Rand see LTT a few times and then at some dramatic point they show the prologue and its revealed he is seeing someone who isn't there.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Personally, I'm betting we'll get the LTT prologue as a cold open for episode seven or eight.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I am kinda wondering if they're going to have Rand see LTT a few times and then at some dramatic point they show the prologue and its revealed he is seeing someone who isn't there.

Given they specifically did that sort of thing with the poor guy in the actual open, yeah that seems likely

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

one more hour (hopefully) til my boy logain

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I always thought this pic was a fairly good approximation of an Aiel woman. A Maiden, I guess.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

jng2058 posted:

Personally, I'm betting we'll get the LTT prologue as a cold open for episode seven or eight.

yeah i'm absolutely betting on something in episode 8, maybe

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Woulda been cool if they had more time to have an extended LTT prologue integrated into each episode without giving away (to non-readers) that it was set in the past and that he was the dragon and gonna go crazy and murder his family at the end of the season right before they reveal Rand as the dragon reborn.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Jose Valasquez posted:

Woulda been cool if they had more time to have an extended LTT prologue integrated into each episode without giving away (to non-readers) that it was set in the past and that he was the dragon and gonna go crazy and murder his family at the end of the season right before they reveal Rand as the dragon reborn.

That's one of those things that would be super cool to see for book readers, but would be horribly confusing for new viewers. Based on the non-book watchers I've seen, they're already struggling mightily with keeping track of all of the characters and groups and proper nouns that have been introduced already. A dragonmount prologue as the beginning of a 90 minute pilot would have been the dream for me, but I think getting the gang out of the shire quickly and doling out the bits we've sped by at a more judicious rate throughout their journey makes the most sense for keeping newbies engaged

Saving Thom for episode 3 might be the smartest decision they've made, imo. It keeps introductions in the pilot down to a minimum, and assuming he's with the boys when they meet back up with Moiraine should lead to a really cool variant on "master bard"

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

CainsDescendant posted:

That's one of those things that would be super cool to see for book readers, but would be horribly confusing for new viewers. Based on the non-book watchers I've seen, they're already struggling mightily with keeping track of all of the characters and groups and proper nouns that have been introduced already. A dragonmount prologue as the beginning of a 90 minute pilot would have been the dream for me, but I think getting the gang out of the shire quickly and doling out the bits we've sped by at a more judicious rate throughout their journey makes the most sense for keeping newbies engaged

Saving Thom for episode 3 might be the smartest decision they've made, imo. It keeps introductions in the pilot down to a minimum, and assuming he's with the boys when they meet back up with Moiraine should lead to a really cool variant on "master bard"

also given how much rafe and others had to already fight to make sure they include, i think 'sort of confusing, drawn-out segments of a prologue before each episode that will confuse those who haven't read the books' would be a non-starter when pitching that to executives or whoever else

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Johnny Joestar posted:

also given how much rafe and others had to already fight to make sure they include, i think 'sort of confusing, drawn-out segments of a prologue before each episode that will confuse those who haven't read the books' would be a non-starter when pitching that to executives or whoever else

Yeah that too. The animated shorts are a good compromise there, but I don't know how many people are viewing or are even aware of the x-ray content

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Yeah I think people aren't finding the expanded content on Amazon because they don't know to look for it. I could be wrong.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

eke out posted:

imo galad gotta be a hunk, not a waif

Yes, this! Gawyn gives of twink vibes, Galad is definitely a (very pretty) hunk.

Hollismason posted:

I don't know if he does but I'm hoping Thom returns , they kind of left it ambigous as to whether he really died. I have a feeling he will be back but I don't know when.

Hey, I think you're still in your very first read through of the series, right? This thread is full of unmarked spoilers for all the books, but there's a new readers thread where we still give feedback, but where you're far less likely to not be spoiled: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3983558&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

So if you're afraid of accidentally reading a spoiler, that might be a better place for you to post. If you don't mind spoilers, you're still welcome here as well :)

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah I think people aren't finding the expanded content on Amazon because they don't know to look for it. I could be wrong.

I’m reasonably savvy and very interested in the content and I had no idea how to find it. They need to put the animated content on YouTube/IG

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

given how episode 8 will be coming out on christmas eve and will be a time when they want to leave a lasting impression for people to talk about while they wait for season 2, i'm still absolutely banking on a full realization of how hosed it is to be the reincarnation of lews therin and i 100% think we'll be getting 'i win again' as a chaser to follow everything up. that's the kind of poo poo to get people going. rafe was being cagey about it in the ama stuff and it totally sounds like they're inserting it late into the season once it matters more and has actual context.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I swear I read in the reddit ama that Rafe said he wants to wait on the EOTW prologue for when LTT is finally starting to become a real character in Rand's mind.

This could very well be Thanksgiving talking

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

Barreft posted:

I swear I read in the reddit ama that Rafe said he wants to wait on the EOTW prologue for when LTT is finally starting to become a real character in Rand's mind.

Nope, that was an answer. I wonder if it will be the season opener for season 2 or they wait until later.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

buffalo all day posted:

I’m reasonably savvy and very interested in the content and I had no idea how to find it. They need to put the animated content on YouTube/IG

Pretty much every time a new Amazon show comes out, I hear a lot about all of the content in the x-ray but I'm not pausing the show that often to see it. A pop-up video mode would be pretty cool

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Barreft posted:

hey, you never know.

we know in episode 7 that the dragon reborn will be revealed, so that leaves one more episode before the break between seasons! lews therin might be making some early appearances.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Johnny Joestar posted:

hey, you never know.

we know in episode 7 that the dragon reborn will be revealed, so that leaves one more episode before the break between seasons! lews therin might be making some early appearances.

You can spoil that here

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

It's up! Logain time

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Yeah!

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

I'm hooting and hollering over how they're portraying the taint and the madness, this is fantastic

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Apparently it's popular, Amazon's not playing it for me.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I still can't believe I'm watching this

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

the taint literally personified, whispering in logain's ear, is a very cool choice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Ok so Logain doesn't have to do interpretive dance to channel and I like that!