Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Louisgod posted:

we’re literally living in the good times

2021 pretty decent on average, not as good as 2020, not as bad as 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

p sure my respirator and eye protection will handle this just fine :smug:
can't wait for society to still fall apart and to die of starvation/thirst or roving bands of marauders or whatever

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Coldrice posted:

Yeah my first reaction was just to straight update the data, but I wonder if adding some kind of variant toggle which change the rates for each variant is a better way to go. Let people compare the danger

Precisely, Delta does this, Nu does this.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Serf posted:

gonna need to see more data before i hop on the end of civilization (not related to climate change) bandwagon, but you'll never go wrong on betting that things will get worse

Get on in dude it's cold and scary and makes your hands sweat all the time

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

mastershakeman posted:

https://twitter.com/yaneerbaryam/status/1464268519579734020?s=20

https://twitter.com/yaneerbaryam/status/1464268519579734020?s=20

If this is actually right, this is the true "what if sars2 ease of spread combined with Sars1 deadliness"

omg hospital staff are beyond hosed

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

mycomancy posted:

Lmao 100 million deaths will kick off a wave of unrest that will make both World Wars look like a toddler slap fight, what on earth are you talking about?

I'm saying that this variant is extremely bad, but people in this thread talking about an R0 of 36 and the end of the world are getting ahead of themselves. When we have more data, we're probably going to find out that Nu is like 50% more transmissible and vaccines have 25% efficacy against it. That means it could kill 2 million Americans in 2022 but the corporate media will keep saying that things are fine for vaccinated people. They'll keep printing money and trying to ignore the collapse of hospitals for as long as possible.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I’m going to create a paid blog and start charging Twitter people to look at my HHS analysis while I can.

It’s game over.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

That said, you should have a respirator, a non-perishable food hoard, gun safety training, and decontamination training. I got them all last spring, better safe than sorry.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

lmao Florida

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Chamale posted:

I'm saying that this variant is extremely bad, but people in this thread talking about an R0 of 36 and the end of the world are getting ahead of themselves. When we have more data, we're probably going to find out that Nu is like 50% more transmissible and vaccines have 25% efficacy against it. That means it could kill 2 million Americans in 2022 but the corporate media will keep saying that things are fine for vaccinated people. They'll keep printing money and trying to ignore the collapse of hospitals for as long as possible.

Dawg, EXPERTS are making these estimates, not just CovidWatcher goons. The fact they're even speaking this way suggests it is at least as bad as they say, if not worse, going by previous understatements about transmission and infectivity. Like did you learn nothing from the last two years?

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

I just started to think 'maybe next summer I'll get to travel again' but it looks more likely that human civilization will no longer exist come next summer.

Shadowisper
Dec 19, 2001

...I will eat your soul...
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9m8PMPhfmo

Yep! Very much so! lmao

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

euphronius posted:

lmao Florida

yesterday my brother and dad kept insisting that florida has done an amazing response to delta and that their case counts are low and I literally looked at them cockeyed and asked if they were alive this past July

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

euphronius posted:

people are probably still traveling out of SA lmao

i havent left this website in years

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

ram dass in hell posted:

2021 pretty decent on average, not as good as 2020, not as bad as 2022

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

i wonder if it's time to upgrade to full face respirator. feeling inadequate with my half mask atm

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
probably nothing!!

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1464280278197846025?s=20

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

Chamale posted:

How long will it take to capture Baghdad? 2 days
Will Saddam be killed? Yes
Total Iraqi civillian casualties: 500 dead
Total military casualties Iraq: 3000 dead
Total military casualties U.S.: 15 dead
Will the Iraqi army regulars hold the lines? No
Will the Republican Guard fight to the end? No
Will chem/bio weapons be used on invading troops?: Yes
Will Saddam launch attacks on the Kurds? Yes
Will Saddam launch attacks on Israel? No
-If yes; will Isreal retaliate harshly? Yes
Will Saddam sacrifice Baghdad (gas/nuke it)? No
Will the Kurds make a grab for independence? Yes
Will Iran do anything silly like try for land? Yes
Will Saddam burn the oil fields? Yes
How long will the US be occupying Iraq? ~15 years
Will the Iraq war catalyze increased terrorism in America?No
In the long run, will this war be good or bad for the world? Good

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/TheMemeticist/status/1464274202911936515?s=20

seems bad!!

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

skewetoo posted:

Imagine being in a air tight tube right now

imagining Nu bouncing around a few nuclear subs hanging out in the Mediterranean Sea

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
So much for closing borders.
https://twitter.com/TheInsiderPaper/status/1464282689733857312

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Teenage Riot posted:

All the indoor dining and fucksucking you post about all the time would have got y’all eventually even if there were no new variants, OP

I'm lolling that there is a real chance that he increased his real life risks just because not enough people in the thread were paying attention to his lovely posts.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

skewetoo posted:

Is cfr really 10% ?????? Because lmao gently caress piss if true

isn't OG COVID somewhere around there without medical intervention?

navigation
Sep 30, 2009
And it really doesn't matter if I'm wrong, I'm right
Where I belong, I'm right
Where I belong
Silly people run around, they worry me
And never ask me why they don't get past my door

I'm taking the time for a number of things
That weren't important yesterday
And I still go
Ooh, ooh, ooh, ah, ah

orange sky
May 7, 2007

This was apparently a backlog update. Cases are around 800

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

ahahahahahahahahaha :crackping:

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Sorry if I'm a big dumb dumb, but infectivity means more deadly because it kills your organs faster then you can make antibodies right? Or am I confusing something

orange sky
May 7, 2007

orange sky posted:

OH disregard, this was another day

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Shifty Pony posted:

isn't OG COVID somewhere around there without medical intervention?

I thought og was 1 but I'm not a smarty scientist that out esteemed and totally merited leaders pretend to listen to

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

orange sky posted:

Pretty sure the data dump was a couple days ago but also that positivity rate is preeeeettty high

e: yep

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

orange sky posted:

OH disregard, this was another day

Yeah I was gonna say that already got ironed out. This seems to be new cases.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Lol this poo poo is already in the US and has been to thanksgiving dinners.

Ovenmaster
Feb 22, 2006
I am the master of ovens for some reason.

Chamale posted:

I want to believe you, but the way the media and officials are responding to this has me VERY concerned. Looking back at the Delta variant as it started ravaging India, I want to say it took like 2-3 weeks before the western world even took notice (I may be misremembering). With this variant, within 24 hours there were travel bans, experts raising the alarm etc.

This tells me either 1) the west learned their lesson with Delta, or 2) it's a lot more serious than Delta, so serious that even they can't half-arse it.

...Are you gonna bet on option 1? Because I sure as hell find it hard to do so.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Is it still goon recommended to get a Moderna boosted if you had the initial Pfizer jabs?

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

lmao at nu min maxing its stats in the mutation space available

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

can someone post the covid offramp meme where the exit goes back onto the freeway

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

:supaburn:

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Raccooon posted:

Lol this poo poo is already in the US and has been to thanksgiving dinners.

imagining the virus with 36 small spike protein hands stuffing turkey into its maw like a crab

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
lol lmao :piss:

gonna choose to believe that it won't be as bad as those estimates, for my temporary sanity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
This variant actually having an R_0 measured in dozens and a case fatality rate of 8x the alpha variant while being vaccine evading would actually force every country in the world to address it in real ways to avoid collapse. And that's not something that's gonna happen in this timeline. Instead it's gonna be marginally higher R_0 and a slightly higher fatality rate because that's what'll allow us to continue to soldier forward with capitalism while ignoring the bloodshed.