Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Deviant posted:

everything at harbor freight is a mace or a warhammer if you swing it hard enough

once

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

look you go to war with the leaf blower you have

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Then it’s a shiv, a weapon with its own noble history.

Black and Decker hasn’t made an adequate loving flail since my grandfather was a lad though

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Deviant posted:

look you go to war with the leaf blower you have

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Uncle Enzo posted:

It's shown flipped 90 degrees, you use it like a regular circular saw with it resting on the sole and pushing it. It's only somewhat less safe than a circular saw, and that's just due to the amount of blade sticking out past the cut, which you normally try to minimize.

You can see one in use at 13:24.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-hXHlqeNFk

lil poopendorfer posted:

that and gang cutting rafters. In Larry hauns book he talks about using those and dado circ saws for rafters

At least the ones shown here have splitters/riving knives

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
What's the best box cutter for carving a turkey?

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

The Saucer Hovers posted:

Leaf blower Battle of Gonzales flag

Mine is electric otherwise I'd be tempted to find one of those stickers

Edit: MOLON LAWNBE

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Rufio posted:

What's the best box cutter for carving a turkey?

Obviously the ones you buy by the three pack at home depot.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Folding-Lock-Back-Utility-Knife-3-Pack-99732/303741400

EDIT:

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Can anyone rec a 1/4" flex shaft that isnt the expensive metabo one

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Can anyone rec a 1/4" flex shaft that isnt the expensive metabo one

My dad has used the same dremel one for years but it’s a hobby thing for him, dunno if it would hold up to professional use. Metabo as a brand is pretty fairly priced, makes me wonder what you get extra for 10x the cost

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Deviant posted:

everything at harbor freight is a mace or a warhammer if you swing it hard enough

Same thing but dildo as well as melee weapon right?

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

wesleywillis posted:

Same thing but dildo as well as melee weapon right?

for the last time a harbor freight reciprocating saw is not made of body-safe materials!

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

corgski posted:

for the last time a harbor freight reciprocating saw is not made of body-safe materials!

True true.
But you shouldn't google "fuckzall" some time.

Don't do it at work.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
I want to fix the finish on the internal door handles in my house, as they are currently that fabulous gold finish that was popular 30 years ago, and are getting VERY manky. The handles are fine physically, so no need to replace them entirely.

As you can see below on the left, the originals have a gold finish rather than being any sort of bronze. I tried cleaning one up and spraying it with "metallic silver" and a matt clear coat which is the middle photo. I'm not pleased with that finish at all, but maybe I'm just not used to it so it looks weird? Is it fine and I'm just resistant to change?

The right photo is another handle that I just want at with a wire brush and followed that up with some polishing with a dremel. This took some time but came up with more of a chrome finish. I borrowed a friend's bench grinder to try and do a quicker and better job, but I think a combination of it being a cheap underpowered store brand 6-inch unit with a terrible polishing wheel meant it was not going to go well. The wheel would slow down a ton when I put the handle against it, and didn't really do much of a job. There's still some old finish on the handle so I think I'll need a sanding device of some sort to really get it looking good.

Anyway, I prefer the chrome look and I think using chrome spray paint would probably not be as nice even though painting would be less work.

So, I asked earlier about bench grinders and I think that maybe this job is a great excuse to buy a decent one and slap a polishing wheel on it and buy some proper polishing compounds. That silver paint finish was easier, but looks weird to me.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
I think the middle picture looks kind of nice.

:shrug:

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
But def buy the grinder. I mean, just for fun.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

lil poopendorfer posted:

that and gang cutting rafters. In Larry hauns book he talks about using those and dado circ saws for rafters
[/

Fucks sake. He's using that to cut birdsbeaks for rafter tails? Surely not for fucks sake.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Literally A Person posted:

I think the middle picture looks kind of nice.

:shrug:

Thanks! Ever since I put it back on the door I've wondered if I'm just not used to it so it looks weird to me. People telling me it's fine is a good thing.

Literally A Person posted:

But def buy the grinder. I mean, just for fun.

But yeah, hard to argue with this.

e: Went nuts and bought the bench grinder with a linisher and a bunch of polishing bits and bobs! Abbott & Ashby seem to have a good name but no matter what it HAS to be better than my mate's Ozito.

Gromit fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Nov 26, 2021

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
We have a lovely 4-aa battery drill. I want a drill I can plug into an outlet. What should I get?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

redreader posted:

We have a lovely 4-aa battery drill. I want a drill I can plug into an outlet. What should I get?

A 1980's black and decker for $3 from the flea market.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

redreader posted:

Embrace cordless life, pick a team, and get a nice cordless

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Just don't pick the wrong color.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Team neon green or bust :colbert:

My pops brought up his brand new staple gun and we're about 45% done insulating the garage, gently caress those things are so satisfying to use!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

redreader posted:

I stubbornly resisted going cordless for a long time because I had experience with like 1990s cordless tools, which sucked rear end and were terrible, and when I tried out some Ryobi cordless drills I felt like the biggest jackass. They're good tools with plenty of power and the batteries are good now and last quite a while, and they charge pretty quickly. On top of that, there are plenty of excellent other tools or accessories in any battery ecosystem which are actually superior versions of those devices compared to the ones you're used to using- my Ryobi flashlight absolutely slaps. It's the best around-the-house flashlight I've ever owned, and it was relatively cheap. I now have a handful of cordless tools which I quite like, and a group of batteries that I swap around in and out of the chargers for tons of purposes.

You think that you want the plug-in drill, but you don't. You'll be happier with cordless once you get it. If you really have a specific use case, just get whatever plug-in drill that's on sale from the nearest hardware store or flea market.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
It really depends on what OP is doing. If I'm blasting together a big piece of furniture with pocket screws you bet your sweet bippy I'm using my old B&D plug-in drill at my jig.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I haven't pulled the corded drill out of the drawer in probably 8 years. Get a nice brushless cordless from your brand of choice, and at least a couple spare batteries if you do big projects. I appreciate the torque limiting settings on a nice cordless vs corded, for the odd time something really bites unexpectedly your wrists will thank you.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

I bought a set of Milwaukee 12v brushless (got a drill, driver, multitool, and two batteries for $70; thanks random dude in Mexican food Mart parking lot) and holy poo poo, I think these have more power than the old 18v ones I've used, and they are so small almost look like toys, but have a really surprising amount of torque.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Corded drills own for certain heavy duty and/or repetitive applications, but if you’re been getting by with an alkaline battery drill, just buy an M12 (compact) or Ryobi (cheap) drill and forget about cords.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

The only corded drill I have is a low-RPM drill/mixer from Harbor Freight and it's huge and stupid but puts a hell of a hole through something when I absolutely need it to.

I've mentioned it in here before, but the Skil 12V stuff is cheap and it kind of owns. I was going to get the Milwaukee stuff but I figured "it's just for in the house, it's fine" and now I'm having a "but what do I use the DeWalt 20V stuff for?" moment in my wood shop.

The drill by itself is a little pricey, but you can get a Skil 12V drill, impact, and oscillating tool (which I am like--I don't know if a house should be without one now) for $149 at Lowe's.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

tracecomplete posted:

The only corded drill I have is a low-RPM drill/mixer from Harbor Freight and it's huge and stupid but puts a hell of a hole through something when I absolutely need it to.

I've mentioned it in here before, but the Skil 12V stuff is cheap and it kind of owns. I was going to get the Milwaukee stuff but I figured "it's just for in the house, it's fine" and now I'm having a "but what do I use the DeWalt 20V stuff for?" moment in my wood shop.

The drill by itself is a little pricey, but you can get a Skil 12V drill, impact, and oscillating tool (which I am like--I don't know if a house should be without one now) for $149 at Lowe's.

I needed a tiny little drill to do fasteners in tight spaces that were just too awkward to get a right angle drill with handle into. Skil makes this rinky dink little rechargable screwdriver that I will admit, as a person who is distrustful of the brand, kicks loving rear end. Great torque in an extremely tiny little unit and charges with a loving USB. It was like $15 and I love it.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Thanks for the write up about cordless tools. If they're that good, then I'm sold. What are actually decent brands? Both of the sales mentioned a couple of pages ago for batteries with free tools are sold out. I just want a reliable brand that is sold everywhere and I don't have to worry about future-proofing. A black friday sale would be nice too.

No I don't use it a ton but we just bought a house and we're putting furniture together. The drill we have is poo poo and we want something that can drill and also potentially do screwdriver stuff. We've spent hours wrestling with putting poo poo together that was made worse with the poo poo hand drill/screwdriver we were using.

Edit: Thanks! I saw the skil post. That looks fantastic.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Honestly, at this point all the major manufacturers are making pretty great stuff. Ryobi is cheap and available at Home Depot. People seem to like it. They make a wide range of battery operated tools.

But, uh, Makita because.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

redreader posted:

Thanks for the write up about cordless tools. If they're that good, then I'm sold. What are actually decent brands? Both of the sales mentioned a couple of pages ago for batteries with free tools are sold out. I just want a reliable brand that is sold everywhere and I don't have to worry about future-proofing. A black friday sale would be nice too.

No I don't use it a ton but we just bought a house and we're putting furniture together. The drill we have is poo poo and we want something that can drill and also potentially do screwdriver stuff. We've spent hours wrestling with putting poo poo together that was made worse with the poo poo hand drill/screwdriver we were using.

Edit: Thanks! I saw the skil post. That looks fantastic.

Take your pick of DeWalt, Ryobi, Milwaukee, Makita, Rigid and go from there. They're generally similar in quality. I went with DeWalt because of frequent sales on more than one tool bundle. If you're just buying a house then you'll probably end up getting a few other cordless tools as well.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Ryobi is a great homeowners set and they make them cheap and affordable. It's a Home Depot house brand so if getting to a HD is a pain in the butt that might give you pause.

DeWalt is the default "upgrade" from that and it's sold everywhere. Find a set that you like and run with it.

Milwaukee and Makita have sets that range from basic homeowner to full on "this tool earns me money" product lines so figuring out where to start can be a little overwhelming.
I like Milwaukee's M12 stuff because it's light, easy to handle and still has tons of power.

Skil is also very interesting. They have new owners and they seem to be refreshing the whole lineup and putting more thought and power into their products now. The miter saw and table saw where recently updated and are some of the best value products available. I bought their miter saw recently and was very impressed with the featured for the price. Getting onto the Skil train wouldn't be a bad idea.

Don't think you need to rush into buying anything immediately, most of the stores are just doing month long sales now

Personally, all my cordless tools are M12 Milwaukee and my corded tools are Skil (miter and circular saw).

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Nov 27, 2021

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Yeah, the new direction the Skil line has been taken is really interesting generally. Didn't mention it above because I was talking about the 12V, but Skil's 2.25HP corded router is a really good low-mid router, too. I have it and a Dewalt, and the Skil lives in a table now because it isn't quite as nice to fiddle with on a regular basis so having it in the table's a little better, but it's absolutely a decent tool and has a nice plunge base.

I also have the Skil 40V stuff because Ego was out of stock when I really needed some lawn gear, and it's...fine.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Corded drill will always have a place in my garage for things like mixing mortar/thinset/grout with one of those giant mixer paddle attachments. You're running it at a good speed for several minutes straight, not exactly a place where the advantages of cordless come in (and I'm already running power for the wet saw)

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
The only way I've managed to kill a Ryobi tool was by trying to use my drill to mix thinset. Stripped a gear.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
A couple of other factors that can serve as tiebreakers for a specific person:

-Look at what they sell at the closest couple of stores to you. Get something easy to buy.

-What do your local family members or friends use?

-What color do you like, and what grip styles feel good and manageable in your hands. You're using these a lot, get something you like.

-If you have small hands or limited upper body strength, the 12v lines are smaller, lighter, and offer very good power. Plenty for around-the-house homeowner stuff.

I live in a major metro area where I can easily buy anything, but my dad and 2 sisters are all on DeWalt so there you go.

Brands with known-good power, durability, and warranties:
DeWalt
Milwaukee
Makita
Ryobi
Ridgid
Bosch

Pick one out of the list that is sold near you and feels good to hold, done. Buy a kit to start.

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

Mr. Mambold posted:

Fucks sake. He's using that to cut birdsbeaks for rafter tails? Surely not for fucks sake.

yessir, p. 158 of 'the very efficient carpenter'

I cant imagine it either but hey thats why he's the greatest. also ive never heard it called a birdsbeak but i love it and am gonna start

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
If you live in a small, isolated town and the one hardware store only sells (say) Makita, or any brand in that list, just get that brand. You're going to run into times you really need a ______ to finish a project.