Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

It's just one of those cases where the poetic/dramatic effect outweighed the slight danger of lore implications. They could have had Moiraine be the one to say "like the raging sun" instead of Logain and been perfectly fine on the lore/book end. But having Logain mirror Moiraine's previous words works much better from the dramatic end, and it shows that Logain loses faith that he is the Dragon Reborn even before being gentled.

I'm happy with the balance they've struck here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
yeah I had no problems with it until I saw the tweet. It just made me go "huh"?

its emotionally effective (after 3 watches even i get a lil mishty) and i assume she was just trying to heal Lan and the residual effect got them all. I think I posted this earlier but I was definitely expecting balefire (without thinking about how bold a move BFing Logain would be...) a nice fakeout

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Gully Foyle posted:

It's just one of those cases where the poetic/dramatic effect outweighed the slight danger of lore implications. They could have had Moiraine be the one to say "like the raging sun" instead of Logain and been perfectly fine on the lore/book end. But having Logain mirror Moiraine's previous words works much better from the dramatic end, and it shows that Logain loses faith that he is the Dragon Reborn even before being gentled.

I'm happy with the balance they've struck here.

For me I've always been taking this as another story, as it should be so I don't care about any changes. I like talking about them though!

I'm just incredibly grateful after 3 decades I'm seeing my favorite series on tv.

e: the opening of this episode should've been ep 1s, prove me wrong

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Barreft posted:

I'm just incredibly grateful after 3 decades I'm seeing my favorite series on tv.

Yeah, for me it's just YAY! I get to start over again and experience a new version of this story for the first time!

It makes me understand why people like fanfiction. There are a fair number of favorite stories of mine that I wouldn't at all mind a team of professional writers tackling for a second draft.

Barreft posted:

e: the opening of this episode should've been ep 1s, prove me wrong

Daniel Green said the same thing on youtube but I disagree, it would have confused the audience too much and audiences would've spent the whole episode waiting for Logain to show up again.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I dunno, it would've made ppl go 'wait thats the loving dragon reborn?!' and made the original 5 guessing even more wild in the first 3 episodes. Better than the dumb extra who I forget already but will probably be Owyn which I hope it is.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

I posted yesterday in spoilers, I'm enjoying the show but what I'm bothered by is they are doing the end book philosophical dilemmas in season 1. Why does Rand not kill himself or go full dark side? He decides the wheel spits people out to try again. Thom has expressed this opinion, Logain has. They are what final form Rand believes. Moiraine has expressed the contrary and new darkfriend character has expressed the Ishamael opinion of eventually the dark one must win.

These are the core ideas of the series, we got them all in early season 1. I'm expecting the show to be successful. I like it, it seems to be liked generally. I kind of feel like foregrounding those ideas hurts the later seasons which I'm assuming they get to based on popularity. Anecdotal experience, this isn't American Gods which reviewed well but no one watched. We talked about wheel of time in our management meeting this morning. If we talk about shows in those its The Boys or squid games popular.

I feel they should be doing Gode who's basically a rich guy who's a darkfriend for deals! Or Hake the murderous innkeeper. The stakes are relatively low but its fun. A whole family isn't getting wiped and its very sinister? If you start at 11 where do you go to??

Goofballs fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Nov 27, 2021

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
Was I being optimistic or naïve that they used spinning earthfire against the Dragon/Ghealdan army? At least when I read Dumai's Wells thats how I envisioned it

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

It's pretty wild that people seem to think Logain is incapable of speaking in metaphor when he sees a truly awesome feat of channeling.

It makes absolute sense that when he sees her heal an entire room of people while power physically explodes around her and her hair is whipping about, he thinks back to what Moirainne had just told him three minutes prior.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Never underestimate a goon's ability to take things literally and be pedantic

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

the fight choreography and tv scaled battles are the only things sticking out poorly so far

i just hope they'll be able to do justice to dumai's wells

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
GOT didn't actually have huge on screen battles until the end of season 2. It was a whole running joke until Blackwater

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Goofballs posted:

I feel they should be doing Gode who's basically a rich guy who's a darkfriend for deals! Or Hake the murderous innkeeper. The stakes are relatively low but its fun. A whole family isn't getting wiped and its very sinister? If you start at 11 where do you go to??

we're still at a point where trollocs and fades are menacing vs the end of the books where they were dealing with a lot of worse poo poo

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I know the discussion of what we want to see adapted or cut was a few days ago. I'm on Path of Daggers, I hope they completely cut Galina's entire capture by the Shaido. Seriously, just let her die in Dumais Wells instead

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Nov 27, 2021

Arrinien
Oct 22, 2010

I fully expect them to find a way to cut the entirety of CoT down into a single episode and it'll somehow work.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Gully Foyle posted:

I'm pretty sure Logain wasn't shielded when Nynaeve did her thing, either. He could have gone "nice Healing, biyotch" and then blown them up with Earth. So he didn't just lose faith; he stopped fighting. That's significant.

One thing that does worry me, though, is them casting an older man as Logain. It raises the possibility that they'll combine Logain and Mazrim Taim into one character, which to my mind would be fairly disastrous.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

The Glumslinger posted:

GOT didn't actually have huge on screen battles until the end of season 2. It was a whole running joke until Blackwater

And they weren't trying to film in the covid era.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Jedit posted:

One thing that does worry me, though, is them casting an older man as Logain. It raises the possibility that they'll combine Logain and Mazrim Taim into one character, which to my mind would be fairly disastrous.

How would that even work? The whole Black Tower plotline needs a good guy there to balance out Taim

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
If they don’t cast him as Galad or Gawn maybe Timothee Chalamet can be Eben Hopwil.

And I insist on having Patrick Stewart as Damer Flinn.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I always thought Patrick Stewart would have been a great Thom. Not that I'm complaining, Alexandre Willaume's fabulous

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi

Jedit posted:

I can’t see that happening - it just wouldn’t make any kind of sense to do that. Twin being older is key because he has apparently to Rand kept the madness at bay - Logain clearly hasn’t

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Rarity posted:

I always thought Patrick Stewart would have been a great Thom. Not that I'm complaining, Alexandre Willaume's fabulous

yeah definitely, if the series had been made some years earlier

connery's dead, and would have been too old for gareth bryne, but perhaps sean bean would be fitting

e: has agelmar jagad been cast yet?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

ChubbyChecker posted:

ken watanabe would be good for that

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

shrike82 posted:

ken watanabe would be good for that

:agreed:

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

i don't remember if it was in this or the tv thread where someone said it, but lan is definitely too cheerful and normal

i think that he laughs like two times in the books

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ChubbyChecker posted:

yeah definitely, if the series had been made some years earlier

connery's dead, and would have been too old for gareth bryne, but perhaps sean bean would be fitting

Sean Bean would be a perfect Bryne.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
For Sean Bean they need to find a character who dies soon and abruptly.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

withak posted:

For Sean Bean they need to find a character who dies soon and abruptly.

Make him one of the Forsaken. He'd be a good Rahvin

Or Be'lal :v:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

ChubbyChecker posted:

i don't remember if it was in this or the tv thread where someone said it, but lan is definitely too cheerful and normal

i think that he laughs like two times in the books

i think it's inherently a bit difficult to sell a character basically acting like a wooden block for the episode equivalent of multiple books because it's tougher to get across a lot of the specifics of his mood when you don't have internal dialogue or the benefit of the prequel book for context, so i can understand then going more specifically for stoic and a bit reserved compared to the absolute brick wall of book lan

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Book Lan would be the worst TV character ever.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

How old is Galad supposed to be? he's a good bit older than Elayne and Gawn. I was just thinking Stephen Amell would be good for the role but maybe a bit too old now.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Yea, as much as I love book Lan, he would absolutely not work on screen. He would just be a big buff dude scowling at everything and then occasionally talking to Nyneave about how she gives him the warm fuzzies, or to Rand about how it's ok to suicide sometimes if it gets poo poo done. He's not very compelling visually. Seeing him laughing is jarring, but I think he's working in the adaption. He's still stoic and very capable of loving people up, but he's also a person, and not just PTSD personified.

The Lord Bude posted:

How old is Galad supposed to be? he's a good bit older than Elayne and Gawn. I was just thinking Stephen Amell would be good for the role but maybe a bit too old now.

According to the Wiki, he's 6 years older than Gawyn, who is about 3-4 years older than Elayne. I'm not sure how old Elayne is in the books, but guessing she's about 17-18 that would make Galad about 27-28.

Soysaucebeast fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Nov 27, 2021

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Hexel posted:

Book Lan would be the worst TV character ever.

nah, toshiro mifune has played tons of book lan type of characters for great effect

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah, links are fine , but let's not post quotes. Stress none of us need.

Alrighty

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Goofballs posted:

Yeah that is a problem with the show. Notes, nervousness about retaining audience, lack of TV exp, whatever there is a severe lack of trust in ppl being attached to the show. Hope that improves.

But I don't particularly mind the talk about trying again or the Darkfriend talking about the Wheel being unfair. It's not so bad when a show hits on a particular motif over and over. It would be if they dropped it tho.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Stephen Amell's 40, he's way too old for Galad

Anyone missing Book Lan can be reassured that we'll definitely see Daniel Henney going full Book Lan when Moiraine dies

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Devorum posted:

It's pretty wild that people seem to think Logain is incapable of speaking in metaphor when he sees a truly awesome feat of channeling.

It makes absolute sense that when he sees her heal an entire room of people while power physically explodes around her and her hair is whipping about, he thinks back to what Moirainne had just told him three minutes prior.

i didn't forget about the line, or forget what simile is. it was weird that she specifically denoted it was the shockwave and debris only. that's it!!! i didn't even think twice about it until I saw that

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah, links are fine , but let's not post quotes. Stress none of us need.

Put them in spoilers, I'm not clicking over to reddit

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

the people who want to read reddit should go to reddit to read reddit

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

ChubbyChecker posted:

the people who want to read reddit should go to reddit to read reddit

I think I could live perfectly happily never hearing again about the doings of the random 2000 person subreddit of racist wot fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Goofballs posted:

Yeah man, its weird that they didn't do a murderous innkeeper in episode 3 that rand and mat encounter