Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Sublimer posted:

I (book reader) have been watching the show with my non-book reader partner and she absolutely doesn’t know which one is the dragon. She thinks it’s Egwene because before we started watching I told her there is a big hullabaloo going on about the dragon possibly being female.

My favorite scene from the books were the ones with the Aelfinn and Eelfinn. If they don’t include the Finns in this show I will revise my whole opinion.

Also, each episode is better than the last!!!

The whole first episode could have been focused on Rand like in the book, they could've telegraphed it. But they went with this some pretty cool mystery for most of the season. I dunno how anyone can complain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i wonder who the dragon could be. maybe it's the person whose point of view has taken up like 75% of the chapters until now and who caused lightning to strike.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

So, that reminds me. Rand knocking down the ironwood door.

First channel? Or ta'varen luck that the frame had some rot in it from an un-noticed termite infestation or something?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

they do a subtle effect that gives the barest hint that he's unconsciously channeling if you know what to look/listen for, and even dana kind of gives him a weird look like she's realizing what's up at the last second there. i think it's entirely meant as the show's version of poo poo like the lightning event in the books.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

No follow-up first-channeling sickness, though, especially when they focus on Mat's illness the next episode instead. If they'd shown Rand with a fever with no explanation, and then we see Nynaeve suffering from the same after her raging sun moment, it might have been a neat little hint. But maybe too obvious? idk

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

CainFortea posted:

So, that reminds me. Rand knocking down the ironwood door.

First channel? Or ta'varen luck that the frame had some rot in it from an un-noticed termite infestation or something?

Personal opinion is 100% channeling. Even the time he hits the door before breaking through, the entire frame shudders. Plus it mirrors one of the more overt Rand channeling scenes from the book, where he and Mat are stuck in a storeroom and Rand summons lightning to blow out a wall. This one was more subtle to keep the mystery, but I'm super confident that was Rand channeling.

I think next week they may introduce channeling sickness. Was this episode meant to be Nynaeve's first channeling experience? If so, maybe they will Moiraine explain it to her/the audience like in the books, and then see it with Rand. That might be too obvious - but at the same time just because Rand can channel doesn't automatically make him the DR in the show, especially with Nynaeve's power. Right now Rand is the only one with nothing special going on to the audience.

It takes a week or two after the first time to develop the symptoms according to the book, and it feels like Episode 4 is only a couple of days after Episode 3.

Gully Foyle fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Nov 28, 2021

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I think I'll finish book 3 tonight. Glad I got books 4 through 6 and I've got 7 through 9 on the way. They're expensive!

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Gully Foyle posted:

Personal opinion is 100% channeling. Even the time he hits the door before breaking through, the entire frame shudders. Plus it mirrors one of the more overt Rand channeling scenes from the book, where he and Mat are stuck in a storeroom and Rand summons lightning to blow out a wall. This one was more subtle to keep the mystery, but I'm super confident that was Rand channeling.

I think next week they may introduce channeling sickness. Was this episode meant to be Nynaeve's first channeling experience? If so, maybe they will Moiraine explain it to her/the audience like in the books, and then see it with Rand.

It takes a week or two after the first time to develop the symptoms according to the book, and it feels like Episode 4 is only been a couple of days after Episode 3.

I think? I hate that I have this link handy lol:

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Pleads posted:

No follow-up first-channeling sickness, though, especially when they focus on Mat's illness the next episode instead. If they'd shown Rand with a fever with no explanation, and then we see Nynaeve suffering from the same after her raging sun moment, it might have been a neat little hint. But maybe too obvious? idk

Channeling sickness doesn't show up for like a week or two after the first time, iirc, with it appearing closer to the channeling event each time until it's simultaneous. They're definitely being vague with travel times, but I expect that if they're going to do that it'll show up in the next episode

e;fb

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yeah Rand gets the sickness after the lightning strike at the Inn he and Mat were staying at if I recall correctly.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I watched the series with my mom and she cycled through almost all of them.
Rand when he had that bat dream, Perrin when the wolves were cool with him, Mat at the scene with the dagger and Fade and Nynaeve at the end of episode 4. Egwene is the only one that she hasn't speculated about

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Hollismason posted:

Yeah Rand gets the sickness after the lightning strike at the Inn he and Mat were staying at if I recall correctly.

He does, but that's the third channeling in the books for him, and by that point we've already seen him suffer the symptoms twice before that point (though it's often overlooked by new readers).

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Gully Foyle posted:

He does, but that's the third channeling in the books for him, and by that point we've already seen him suffer the symptoms twice before that point (though it's often overlooked by new readers).
Yup, and as Moiraine explains the sickness occurs closer and closer to the incidence of channeling until they're basically simultaneous (and then stops and the "will the wilder live" clock starts ticking). So Rand doesn't get sick from healing Bela until Baerlon but is almost immediately affected by the lightning bolt.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i definitely agree that they might touch on channeling sickness in next episode. this one was kind of light on content with rand so there wasn't much opportunity to throw in anything for him, so next week's might go into that. also you have to consider that him bashing down the door was relatively small in the grand scheme of things. with nynaeve i definitely feel like some poo poo is going to go down if she went through that of all things.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Gully Foyle posted:

I kind of figured the same thing because of how much the innkeep insists the door can't be broken. And then Rand just smashes it. So either Rand channelled or she bought a poo poo door when she was trying to buy a prison door. The latter would be kind of funny. The problem is they have visualisations of what channeling looks like and I didn't see those. If you move fast enough who's going to remember I guess.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Goofballs posted:

I kind of figured the same thing because of how much the innkeep insists the door can't be broken. And then Rand just smashes it. So either Rand channelled or she bought a poo poo door when she was trying to buy a prison door. The problem is they have visualisations of what channeling looks like and I didn't see those. If you move fast enough who's going to remember I guess.

Again, or Ta'varen. Maybe she DID buy a poo poo door but thought it was ironwood, because of the pattern being weird like that.

I'm not really dying on any hill on which way it is, i'm just curious which way it'll go.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

I love like, 99% of everything in this show. It rocks. It's better than the books. I was skeptical but now I am absolutely in for the whole ride.

It's hilarious to me that the Whitecloaks are nonsensical cartoon villains still, but the first loving Darkfriend we (openly) meet presents a sympathetic if still hosed up motivation.

A surprise favorite has been Liandrin. She's exactly as awful as she ought to be and the script doesn't hold back, but she's got some real anger going and we can already see she's got a plausible "doing what I sincerely feel is right" angle.

Nynaeve owns.

Nynaeve has always owned, and this show gets her, and that's just wonderful.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

There was something about the way that scene was shot that convenced me me it was channeling, but it was so subtle i can't really describe it without it directly in front of my eyes

I definitely think we're getting the sickness soon though. With (presumably) two new channelers its a great time to explain it. Meanwhile i think Taveren will be examined a bit later, when Logain meets one of the four (probably Rand?)

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

I imagine taveren gets explained by Loial whenever he shows up, it's his favorite word

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

CainsDescendant posted:

I imagine taveren gets explained by Loial whenever he shows up, it's his favorite word
oh good call

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Are they going to show Caemlyn in the series? I'm really curious how they make a huge city in the show.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Hollismason posted:

Are they going to show Caemlyn in the series? I'm really curious how they make a huge city in the show.

Next season, most likely. Elayne got cast for season 2. I'm guessing that they didn't want to build Caemlyn for what's basically a pit stop in the book.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Hollismason posted:

rafe basically said 'it doesn't make sense to spend all the money needed to make a good city for something we only go to for one episode in a season'

tar valon's the big one this season. elayne's in next season but she could always just show up at the Tower, they'll need to build Tear and Falme next season already

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Hollismason posted:

E;fb

Not this season, though we will get Tar Valon which is I think technically a larger city than Caemlyn.

We know that Elayne was cast as a Season 2 addition, but whether or not we go to Caemlyn as part of that who knows? I'm sure we will in the series, I really hope they don't cut out the Rahvin fight.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Johnny Joestar posted:

i definitely agree that they might touch on channeling sickness in next episode. this one was kind of light on content with rand so there wasn't much opportunity to throw in anything for him, so next week's might go into that. also you have to consider that him bashing down the door was relatively small in the grand scheme of things. with nynaeve i definitely feel like some poo poo is going to go down if she went through that of all things.

I think they're gonna keep it a mystery by having a few of the characters get some kind of sickness in the next episode.

Rand and Nynaeve get channeling sickness, Mat has dagger sickness, and Perrin has his wound. Egwene, I dunno. Rand is probably going to blame it on being scared shitless and running for his life from a fade.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

eke out posted:

rafe basically said 'it doesn't make sense to spend all the money needed to make a good city for something we only go to for one episode in a season'

tar valon's the big one this season. elayne's in next season but she could always just show up at the Tower, they'll need to build Tear and Falme next season already

Through 19 seasons of TV every city will look the same, just with different color banners/flags and different scenery on the horizon.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I kind of like how the books take these long diverging pathways then suddenly everything comes together. I'm reading The Dragon Reborn right now and everyone is in Tear. Rand has been noticably absent from the books everyone is chasing after him.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Sublimer posted:

I (book reader) have been watching the show with my non-book reader partner and she absolutely doesn’t know which one is the dragon. She thinks it’s Egwene because before we started watching I told her there is a big hullabaloo going on about the dragon possibly being female.

My favorite scene from the books were the ones with the Aelfinn and Eelfinn. If they don’t include the Finns in this show I will revise my whole opinion.

Also, each episode is better than the last!!!

Huh I mentally have the snakes and foxes on my “most likely element to be cut” bingo card because it’s going to be really confusing to non-readers, possibly expensive in terms of CGI, and could be folded into other bits of world-building.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Finished The Dragon Reborn, it was really good. Mat had a lot more to do in the book and that was enjoyable. Perrin not so much but he did develop some as a character. I was kind of surprised that I remembered what I did about the book.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I just watched episode four. Holy gently caress this could be the greatest fantasy television show in history if the quality stays this high.

They did such a great job growing the world in this episode. We got amazing set pieces, natural exposition, and some serious flexing by the actors.

It's really obvious that everyone involved is giving the show 100%.

Also my five year old caught that it was the king dying in the woods but my wife and I both missed it at first. Excellent touch.

wraith_5_
Aug 25, 2003

Barreft posted:

The whole first episode could have been focused on Rand like in the book, they could've telegraphed it. But they went with this some pretty cool mystery for most of the season. I dunno how anyone can complain

I personally can't wait for this "WHO IS THE DRAGON???" bit to be over and to get to them just telling this abbreviated version of the story they're going to tell. Rafe and Co seem to generally be interested in telling a good story, but this constant changing of things that may or may not affect existing rules/lore within the story is getting kinda old for me. I'm still going to watch unless something drastic is changed, and every episode is getting better than the previous one for the most part. I'm hoping a lot of my issues with the story so far are from Amazon meddling and that that lessens over time.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

wraith_5_ posted:

I personally can't wait for this "WHO IS THE DRAGON???" bit to be over and to get to them just telling this abbreviated version of the story they're going to tell. Rafe and Co seem to generally be interested in telling a good story, but this constant changing of things that may or may not affect existing rules/lore within the story is getting kinda old for me. I'm still going to watch unless something drastic is changed, and every episode is getting better than the previous one for the most part. I'm hoping a lot of my issues with the story so far are from Amazon meddling and that that lessens over time.

I like it. I've read the books a shameful number of times. I know that story like the back of my hand. I'm absolutely here for the altered version we're getting, it's like getting to experience it for the first time again.

I'm very much in the Douglas Adams school of thought on adaptations and, with rare exceptions, straight adaptations bore me.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I really like the changes they've made and episode four especially made it clear that the changes are with purpose. Except for Else. She got done dirty.

Ghaeldan was absolutely perfect too. Really amazing what they pulled off with limited sets and clever camera angles.

wraith_5_
Aug 25, 2003

Atlas Hugged posted:

I really like the changes they've made and episode four especially made it clear that the changes are with purpose. Except for Else. She got done dirty.

Ghaeldan was absolutely perfect too. Really amazing what they pulled off with limited sets and clever camera angles.

The opening Ghaeldan scene was one of the best they've done so far. It's an example of what I feel like this team is capable of. I hope we see more like it.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Devorum posted:

I like it. I've read the books a shameful number of times. I know that story like the back of my hand. I'm absolutely here for the altered version we're getting, it's like getting to experience it for the first time again.

I'm very much in the Douglas Adams school of thought on adaptations and, with rare exceptions, straight adaptations bore me.

It’s entirely possible that I’ve read TEotW 20 times. THAT is definitely a shameful amount of times.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Episode 4 thoughts:

+ Thom throwing down with the fade
+ Mat dealing with the dagger possession at the farm
+ Nynaeve being a badass & her mass resurrection ultimate
+ good character building, esp Logain

- interpretative dance rear end magic casting that I hope they tone down a bit in season 2
- big army fight that looks right out of Hercules & Xena, although showing the warders and Aes Sedai doing their thing was effective
- everything involving white people with dreadlocks, but kudos for making the Tinkers as annoying in the show as they are in the books

Seems like they're hitting the right stride though, curious to see where the season ends up. Feels like Moiraine isn't getting enough to do, which is strange considering how much of a get Rosamund Pike was for this adaption.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
The scene where Moiraine and Alanna were standing in a cave talking about how they wanted to be shoulder to shoulder at the last battle had me smiling.

Also it just occurred to me that Narg the Trolloc didn't speak in episode 1. Poor Narg, the most educated Trolloc in all the world. His learning how to speak from the wailing and quailing of the human sacrifices all went for naught.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

the first two books are full of weird poo poo that doesn't really make sense in Canon so it is fine with me if the TV show does also. physical pools of the one power, the skyfight, a talking trolloc as mentioned above, sniffers and waystones as needed to move the plot along

Arrinien
Oct 22, 2010

Mat Cauthon posted:

Feels like Moiraine isn't getting enough to do, which is strange considering how much of a get Rosamund Pike was for this adaption.

I've been wondering what their plan is for later in the show given where Moiraine's plotline goes. Just from a TV show production standpoint I can't imagine them writing her out for several seasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I'm interested to see how they do Rand's channelling sickness cause I think they're going to want to be as subtle as possible about. They're intentionally trying to smokescreen him so they're not going to make it a giveaway.

Arrinien posted:

I've been wondering what their plan is for later in the show given where Moiraine's plotline goes. Just from a TV show production standpoint I can't imagine them writing her out for several seasons.

Rosamund Pike's a big name actress, I wouldn't be surprised if she intentionally signed on for a few years then a little bit of work at the end. She's gonna want to go back to movies eventually.