Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Arrinien posted:

I've been wondering what their plan is for later in the show given where Moiraine's plotline goes. Just from a TV show production standpoint I can't imagine them writing her out for several seasons.

Flashbacks. There could be plenty of times Rand remembers back to when moiraine tried to teach him a lesson but he wasn't paying attention.

Also, iirc most of the time she is gone is durring The Most Skippable Books, so her gone time can be reduced a fair bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

eke out posted:

rafe basically said 'it doesn't make sense to spend all the money needed to make a good city for something we only go to for one episode in a season'

tar valon's the big one this season. elayne's in next season but she could always just show up at the Tower, they'll need to build Tear and Falme next season already

makes sense

and cities could be done cheaply by showing a model and or cgi in one short scene, and then showing some room in the next scene

if they need to show streets, they can do what everyone else does, and just shoot in prague

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Atlas Hugged posted:

I just watched episode four. Holy gently caress this could be the greatest fantasy television show in history if the quality stays this high.

They did such a great job growing the world in this episode. We got amazing set pieces, natural exposition, and some serious flexing by the actors.

It's really obvious that everyone involved is giving the show 100%.

Also my five year old caught that it was the king dying in the woods but my wife and I both missed it at first. Excellent touch.

this is not a show for five year olds

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

One of the things I thought was coolest so far was how Valda cut off that Aes Sedai's hands. One of the details I loved back in the day was this idea that physical gestures are important to properly weaving the power. Aes Sedai learn to throw fireballs by physically making a throwing motion, and most of them literally can't do a fireball if they don't, which is why they freak out when the Aiel Wise Ones just kind of make fireballs appear without gesturing at all.

Obviously the show's put a lot of emphasis onto the physical movement of weaving the power, so they'd already been thinking about that detail, but one of the things I was most skeptical about was their apparent intent based on the previews to actually make the Whitecloak's threatening rather than the consistent joke they are in the source material. Valda cutting off that Aes Sedai's hands as a "mundane," method of crippling her ability to channel actually did a lot to sell me on the notion that they could be a threat to Aes Sedai outside of blind luck.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

So the title of episode 5 is: Blood Calls Blood

Which comes from the propecies of the shadow: "Daughter of the Night, she walks again. The ancient war, she yet fights. Her new lover she seeks, who shall serve her and die, yet serve still. Who shall stand against her coming? The Shining Walls shall kneel. Blood feeds blood. Blood calls blood. Blood is, and blood was, and blood shall ever be."

:eyepop:

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Blood! Blood! Blood!

Is there a website with references to each prophecy and how they came true? I think I've seen it before with Min's visions.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Not So Fast posted:

Blood! Blood! Blood!

Is there a website with references to each prophecy and how they came true? I think I've seen it before with Min's visions.

I'm not sure it's up to date through AMoL but it's on the FAQ

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Not So Fast posted:

Blood! Blood! Blood!

I believe this particular one is in regards to Lanfear and was scrawled on the wall at Fal Dara after the attack.

https://wot.fandom.com/wiki/Prophecies_of_the_Shadow

Which is really strange because I'm pretty sure the next stop is Tar Valon in 6 and Fal Dara must be 7-8. I think it's waay too early for Lanfear too.

Hexel fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Nov 28, 2021

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

is lanfear going to show up? a bit surprised since i don't think i heard about her casting

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

there's been casting that people are assuming is for lanfear, i figure she'll be more relevant once the whole 'who is the dragon' thing is solved a bit more in the show

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

shrike82 posted:

is lanfear going to show up? a bit surprised since i don't think i heard about her casting

The only official word about this is that multiple forsaken have been cast - from Rafe's recent AMA on reddit.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

shrike82 posted:

She's not in the first book anyway

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

I really hope we get to see Thom again before book 3 stuff starts happening.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

rocketrobot posted:

I really hope we get to see Thom again before book 3 stuff starts happening.

Thom is also in Book 2 but from the sound of it Season 2 might be a mashup of Book 2 and 3.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I would absolutely love to see his drunken rant about having loved three women.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Not So Fast posted:

Thom is also in Book 2 but from the sound of it Season 2 might be a mashup of Book 2 and 3.

Specifically, I'm saying I hope we get to see Thom again soon as ep 4 had him fight off a fade. I only recall him doing that once before with Rand and Mat and then not rejoining the party until his apprentice gets murdered in Cairhein.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Yeah I want more Thom this season. 2 episodes was not enough :argh:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

ChubbyChecker posted:

this is not a show for five year olds

Thank you for your feedback.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
This is a show for three year olds

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

navyjack posted:

Huh I mentally have the snakes and foxes on my “most likely element to be cut” bingo card because it’s going to be really confusing to non-readers, possibly expensive in terms of CGI, and could be folded into other bits of world-building.

i hope not, because it feels like one of those things that's too massively impactful to the books and only requires some relatively short and fascinating scenes (until the very end, at least)

especially for Mat, mat's entire character gets defined by them, since they tell him he can't go home and must go to Rhuidean (then obviously fill in his memories and give him his trademark weapon later)

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The Finn scenes are one of the reasons you make a WoT adaptation in the first place cause you want to put them on screen, it would be ludicrous to cut them

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Plus you can do them all in CGI and it's fine because they're supposed to look unreal.

Right now my big fear is that the Ways will end up looking like a level in a video game because that's how most people's brains will interpret platforms and bridges hanging in space now.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

They’re integral to mat and moraine. I can’t imagine it would be all that hard to put a couple of blue screen scenes with some goofy snake costumes.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

A very long time

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Plus you can do them all in CGI and it's fine because they're supposed to look unreal.

yeah they're such a good relatively early "wait what the gently caress is going on in this universe" moment, plus:

quote:

The three were on their feet atop the pedestals, and he could not tell which shrieked which answer.

“To marry the Daughter of the Nine Moons!”

“To die and live again, and live once more a part of what was!”

“To give up half the light of the world to save the world!”

Together they howled like steam escaping under pressure. “Go to Rhuidean, son of battles! Go to Rhuidean, trickster! Go, gambler! Go!”

can't cut it

especially with how the books do it, where it's all from mat's perspective then when he gets thrown out suddenly rand and moiraine also get thrown out at the same time and you realize all three went through lol

eke out fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Nov 28, 2021

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Right now my big fear is that the Ways will end up looking like a level in a video game because that's how most people's brains will interpret platforms and bridges hanging in space now.

I always saw it more like MC Escher's Relativity (the stairs drawing). Either way, I have a lot of faith in this show so far, so I'm just they'll do it justice.

Hexel posted:

The only official word about this is that multiple forsaken have been cast - from Rafe's recent AMA on reddit.

Rafe made my favorite joke when asked about that.
Redditor: Who is going to play Selene?
Rafe: Lanfear

They cast Natasha O'Keeffe as some unnamed person (so far) and my money is on Lanfear. I could be wrong, but she does have the look for it, to me.

Atlas Hugged posted:

I really like the changes they've made and episode four especially made it clear that the changes are with purpose. Except for Else. She got done dirty.

Else wasn't actually in the show! The little girl was playing Helga Grinwell, so word on the street is that Else was either horning for farmboys at the time, or had already gone to the White Tower. Hopefully she pops up though.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

There was definitely a subtitle that said Else. I guess it changed at some point during development?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Nihilarian posted:

There was definitely a subtitle that said Else. I guess it changed at some point during development?

Subtitle? Her name was explicitly not given! The companion/xray stuff is how you know who

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Nihilarian posted:

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Subtitle? Her name was explicitly not given! The companion/xray stuff is how you know who

I watched it with subtitles and she was named as Else when she was speaking. Maybe they changed their minds during production, but the subtitles 100% indicated she was Else.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Nihilarian posted:

There was something about the way that scene was shot that convenced me me it was channeling, but it was so subtle i can't really describe it without it directly in front of my eyes

I definitely think we're getting the sickness soon though. With (presumably) two new channelers its a great time to explain it. Meanwhile i think Taveren will be examined a bit later, when Logain meets one of the four (probably Rand?)

I saw something similar, to me it looked like if you dropped a rock in some fine sand or dust when he hit the door. Like a bunch of dust came flying off the door when he rammed into it the second or third time, and they cut to Dana who looked really surprised.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Devorum posted:

I like it. I've read the books a shameful number of times. I know that story like the back of my hand. I'm absolutely here for the altered version we're getting, it's like getting to experience it for the first time again.

I'm very much in the Douglas Adams school of thought on adaptations and, with rare exceptions, straight adaptations bore me.

This is what I'm really enjoying. Like, we all know the broad strokes of the story/characters that they have to hit (Rand being the DR, Perrin as a Wolfbrother, Matt the General, Egwene as Amrylin, the Aiel, Seanchan, the Last Battle, etc.), but beyond that it gets fuzzier and less certain.

Like for this season, I know just from titles/trailers that:
- The group is going to re-unite in Tar Valon, have some Aes Sedai politics and meet Loial
- There will be some source of information that the Eye of the World is the key
- They travel through the Ways to Fal Dara
- They find the Eye and Rand will do something that shows him to be the Dragon Reborn

But how they do it? The plot and character beats in between? It's all pretty much unknown, and it means I can enjoy the show for what it is rather than trying to make it fit the shape of the books.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

seaborgium posted:

I saw something similar, to me it looked like if you dropped a rock in some fine sand or dust when he hit the door. Like a bunch of dust came flying off the door when he rammed into it the second or third time, and they cut to Dana who looked really surprised.

There's a whole bunch of screen shake when he hits it. And a much louder impact sound. And a lil music cue as he's taking a run up. And a cut to Dana going oh hey this guy must be it.

I did not think it was even remotely subtle but I guess I was wrong. :shrug:

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

it was more subtle than lightning blowing out a wall :toot:

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

There's a whole bunch of screen shake when he hits it. And a much louder impact sound. And a lil music cue as he's taking a run up. And a cut to Dana going oh hey this guy must be it.

Dana going "oh wtf?" isn't her reacting to channeling. She's reacting to the door she believed to be unbreakable clearly weakening. That could have been done via channeling, or ta'varen plot armor.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

As a book reader, also I caught that the moment he busted the door down was the moment that Dana decided it was Rand. Up until that point she felt it was important to wait for Mat too because she didn't know. But afterwards she's sure it's Rand and that's why she's feeling so triumphant that she's going to be the next Ishamael.

But I am a book reader. My non-book reader friend saw the same scenes and it just solidified his opinion that it was Mat. Specifically, he decided that Dana saying it was important to wait for Mat confirmed it for him.

Mind you, after episode four he's gone to 50/50 between Mat and Nynaeve....so the various fake-outs are working on at least some non-book readers.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

his "a way out!" moment. i could've sworn the door glowed a little bit when i first watched it--looking again now, it must have been my imagination. She takes another "wtf" look down at the door briefly before chasing him because he clearly just did something impossible

Brolander fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Nov 28, 2021

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Atlas Hugged posted:

Also my five year old caught that it was the king dying in the woods but my wife and I both missed it at first. Excellent touch.

Remind me what scene this was about? I don't remember a guy dying in the woods. I thought the last we saw of the king was the cold open?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Brolander posted:

his "a way out!" moment. i could've sworn the door glowed a little bit when i first watched it

Yeah there's definitely a split-second effect there

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Data Graham posted:

Remind me what scene this was about? I don't remember a guy dying in the woods. I thought the last we saw of the king was the cold open?

No, we see him again at the end of the battle in the woods. He's very recognisable, and still in his breastplate with the trigrams on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Data Graham posted:

a lot of guys died in those woods, and yes the king was one of them