Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

MajorBonnet posted:

I wonder if we'll get his night in Tar Valon where his luck really takes off in the books.

I sincerely hope so, it's a really well written sequence and I feel like barely cognizant gambling stupor would play super well on screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

He better be eating 3 times his weight during it.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

silvergoose posted:

I sincerely hope so, it's a really well written sequence and I feel like barely cognizant gambling stupor would play super well on screen.

Hell kick it off with him beating Gawyn and Galad, who are on assigned watch duty and under orders not to let him leave, just to keep the scene in there.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

MajorBonnet posted:

I wonder if we'll get his night in Tar Valon where his luck really takes off in the books.

I've been thinking that he's actually going to get Healed at the Tower this season, as they seem to be relocating the meetup in Tar Valon? I can't really see them all being in Tar Valon with Mat and not getting him healed. Which I don't think leaves much room for Mat's whole recovery and escape bit from tDR, structurally. So I suspect the night might be cut..

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I never really got what Mat's tav'eren thing was supposed to be - the little statues in the first book make it clear that his magic comes from the evil dagger, but then he also starts to gain ancient memories, but also he's super lucky and then the Aelfinn also give him even more ancient memories. It felt like it was flip-flopping all the time.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

They're gonna have to do something extraordinary with the DR reveal to detach non-book readers from Nynaeve since she's kinda stolen the show at this point.

https://twitter.com/ThreadPattern/status/1465032163800330250

I don't know where this came from or if we're getting it this week or next but I'm here for it :toot:

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Bird face trolloc lovers unite~
https://twitter.com/WotTVSeries/status/1465113846469771267/photo/1

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

CainFortea posted:

Unrelated, but here's another gangtag for the pile of options.

This is great but probably too busy / distracting for a good gangtag unfortunately. =(

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I never really got what Mat's tav'eren thing was supposed to be - the little statues in the first book make it clear that his magic comes from the evil dagger, but then he also starts to gain ancient memories, but also he's super lucky and then the Aelfinn also give him even more ancient memories. It felt like it was flip-flopping all the time.

Being ta'veren isn't the source of any of Mat's abilities, they're just why he gets them. If he wasn't ta'veren then he wouldn't have found the dagger, he wouldn't have gained the luck, he wouldn't have survived Finnland.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

I've been thinking that he's actually going to get Healed at the Tower this season, as they seem to be relocating the meetup in Tar Valon? I can't really see them all being in Tar Valon with Mat and not getting him healed. Which I don't think leaves much room for Mat's whole recovery and escape bit from tDR, structurally. So I suspect the night might be cut..

They can do it by not having the full group meet up in Tar Valon. Or, they do, but with Rand's help they keep the sickness a secret until they reach the borderlands. Or it could be that them traveling through the ways is what tells Moiraine something is wrong. And then they have to do the stop-gap healing afterwards.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

It's the removal of the dagger's influence that robs Mat of some of his memories. Which pisses him off and he talks to the Aelfinn and asks to get rid of the memory holes. Of course, he didn't specify that he wanted HIS memories back and got just a bunch of battles crammed in there.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Hexel posted:

They're gonna have to do something extraordinary with the DR reveal to detach non-book readers from Nynaeve since she's kinda stolen the show at this point.

Whenever Nyneave takes action, she steals the scene.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

This is great but probably too busy / distracting for a good gangtag unfortunately. =(

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I like the dark one

wait

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

CainFortea posted:

It's not as odd as all that. A) They're trying to keep the dragon reborn a mystery for a bit longer. The palace scenes would absolutely give the game away. 2) The cost of doing up a palace interior plus city shots for what would basically be half an episode would be pretty high.

Unrelated, but here's another gangtag for the pile of options.

What about something with this premise

We could be the #LOGANG

Hexel fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Nov 29, 2021

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Hexel posted:

What about something with this premise

We could be the #LOGANG

Oooooh, I like #LOGANG. I've got an idea, but I might not be able to finish it before I have to go to work.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

CainFortea posted:

It's the removal of the dagger's influence that robs Mat of some of his memories. Which pisses him off and he talks to the Aelfinn and asks to get rid of the memory holes. Of course, he didn't specify that he wanted HIS memories back and got just a bunch of battles crammed in there.

Don't he and the boys get some snippets of memories in WoT? I swear that was the first time we get a "Taishir Manetherin!". It really stuck with me the first time, and kinda threw me when he started getting other memories from a different source.

Jedit posted:

Being ta'veren isn't the source of any of Mat's abilities, they're just why he gets them. If he wasn't ta'veren then he wouldn't have found the dagger, he wouldn't have gained the luck, he wouldn't have survived Finnland.

But then where does his luck come from?

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Don't he and the boys get some snippets of memories in WoT? I swear that was the first time we get a "Taishir Manetherin!". It really stuck with me the first time, and kinda threw me when he started getting other memories from a different source.

But then where does his luck come from?

his luck is bound to his soul - he always refuses to be a hero of the horn but he is spun out again and again as a great general with insane luck

i think there's three ingredients to mat -- his innate soul which has the luck and sort of a "core competence" of being a good strategist/tactician, his genes which carry the "old blood" of manetheren (thus the speaking in the old tongue in book 1) and then the memories of battle that he gets from the *finns which give him the experience to be a great general at the age of 20 or whatever.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

mat is specifically the next reincarnation of the soul of a being known as the gambler, more or less, and is regarded as a hero of sorts who routinely refuses to be a hero of the horn. the memory stuff is unrelated to his luck in particular and is mostly tied into him being ta'veren. realistically the sort of character who could be the star of their own series if not for the dragon reborn existing.

the heroes of the horn in particular know who he is, which says a lot about how frequently he gets spun out

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Yea, that comes up in the first book. But it's also played off as "the old blood coming through."

My head cannon about it was that Mat had a deeper connection to the old blood, and that's why the Aelfinn picked the memories they did.

Hexel posted:

We could be the #LOGANG

Rough draft of #LOGANG.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Mat's memories aren't tied to his past lives, they're from the people who went through the doorway before him.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

CainFortea posted:

Rough draft of #LOGANG.

I like it!

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Making Mat bad at gambling was a real good choice, i think.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Not so sure about the "good at women" part though.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Nihilarian posted:

Making Mat bad at gambling was a real good choice, i think.

That's actually in the books. He recalls a time when he gambled with a merchant's guard, lost a silver penny, and got soundly spanked for it by his dad.

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi

Data Graham posted:

I like the dark one

wait

Well played Sir, well played.

But also yes, the dark one

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I think y'all have just kind of demonstrated what I find irritating about Mat - he's got all these powers going on, and they kind of touch and overlap but all come from different places (He has ancient memories that are unconnected to his past lives, and also unconnected to a second set of memories. Also he's lucky.) It just feels kind of messy and disconnected compared to "dream-wolf" and "wizard-jesus". Especially as Ba'alzamon's little statues of foreshadowing seem to say that "has an evil dagger" is Mat's thing in the same way as Perrin being a Wolfbrother.

Data Graham posted:

Not so sure about the "good at women" part though.

Best bit of the series is each of the lads thinking "gosh, I don't know how to talk to girls like the other two can"

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

silvergoose posted:

That's actually in the books. He recalls a time when he gambled with a merchant's guard, lost a silver penny, and got soundly spanked for it by his dad.
that was when he was a kid, if he's bad at gambling during the first few books i didn't notice

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Was it ever clarified that the memories came from other people who went through the doorway? I haven't read them in a few years so maybe I don't remember correctly, but I could have sworn one of the clear memories Matt had was fighting for manetheren

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

CainFortea posted:

Was it ever clarified that the memories came from other people who went through the doorway? I haven't read them in a few years so maybe I don't remember correctly, but I could have sworn one of the clear memories Matt had was fighting for manetheren

yeah there's some sort of connection formed by people who go through the doorway that lets the finns access their memories even after they leave the portal

ed: the FAQ on this is helpful albeit pre-ToM https://www.steelypips.org/wot-tgs/node/133.html

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Nihilarian posted:

that was when he was a kid, if he's bad at gambling during the first few books i didn't notice

Didn't come up, so that story is the only one we have from "before dagger" Mat. Which is close enough that it feels like they're incorporating that story into the show, to me!

CainFortea posted:

Mildly, yes; Mat figured out the date ranges, and that they match "before the doorway got put into the great holding and never touched again" or something like that.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Nihilarian posted:

he wasn't great either, just liked gambling and wasn't notably lucky

CainFortea posted:

It was noted that his battle memories started right around the trolloc wars and ended around the battle of hundred years, and frequently came from participants from different sides of the same battle.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'm really curious as to how they're going to potray the Aiel and the Aiel waste. Like I'm reading Shadow rising right now Loial and Perrin and Faile are in the ways but Gaul and company are with them. They're going back to the Two Rivers to stop the White Cloaks. However the Aiel and all their people are there so I'm wondering how they'll potray the Aiel in the show.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Johnny Joestar posted:

mat is specifically the next reincarnation of the soul of a being known as the gambler, more or less, and is regarded as a hero of sorts who routinely refuses to be a hero of the horn. the memory stuff is unrelated to his luck in particular and is mostly tied into him being ta'veren. realistically the sort of character who could be the star of their own series if not for the dragon reborn existing.

the heroes of the horn in particular know who he is, which says a lot about how frequently he gets spun out

I forget, does Perrin ever get acknowledged as a hero of significance in that way?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Rarity posted:

I forget, does Perrin ever get acknowledged as a hero of significance in that way?

He made the goddamn hammer of thor, that's enough acknowledgement for me!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i think perrin is explicitly just a wolf person and that's about it other than being a ta'veren. i don't remember anything about him being a specific reincarnation in any form. it seems like a rare enough thing to be worthy of it, at least.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Perrin is the least heralded of the OG 3, but he accomplishes a lot that the others never really manage (stability, peace, respect from his lieges that isn't tied to cult worship around his luck or being the savior).

I gotta say the adjustment in describing the Reds in the show I really like. Instead of being explicitly and only about gentling male channelers I felt like Ep 4 implied that they are basically the enforcement arm of the white tower's expectations/rules around channeling for men and women. It's just men are way more problematic so that can be used to explain their more recent history if they decide to go that route.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

The Red Karens

RedFlag
Nov 22, 2007

The decision to have Mat be caretaker for his sisters is going to make him forgetting all about them a gut punch. Maybe that's why they gave him this family dynamic for the show?

His motivation so far has been to get back home. If the holes in his memories change this, then the Mat we know follows, with the additional benefit of a new and powerful justification for him taking on so much risk to try and get his memories back.

Show production spoiler: We know Mat will be off-screen for healing in Tar Valon from Ep 6 on to season 2, so my guess is he wakes up at the start of season 2 a near amnesiac, with book 3's night of gambling and escape soon after (when the wonder gals take pity on him?).

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Karene was a Green though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I really can't get over the interpretive dance for the AS. It shouldn't be a big deal but really kills my vibe for the show.

I hope it has a payoff where every other channeling group does not and highlights their incompetence.