Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
I’m just over here braid tuggin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

insane battle between rand and sammael that's just 5 minutes of this

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I'll watch two sweaty ladies but not sweaty Rand

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Data Graham posted:

Karene was a Green though

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Hexel posted:

I'll watch two sweaty ladies but not sweaty Rand

I’ll watch that oily farmboy any day

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Rand's LTT memories wants to use his hands for spinning certain webs.

Gwaihir posted:

MY HANDS!!! WHY CAN'T I MOVE MY HANDS?????

This, it is explicitly book canon that physical movements of hands, arms, etc are often tied to weaving the power. They don't have to be, but they often are anyway. Its like a meditation mantra or whatever. The motion only has power because you've mentally trained yourself to do it that way. The example that got used at Dumai's Wells was that all Aes Sedai train themselves to throw fireballs with a physical throwing motion, like they're lobbing an actual ball that has weight. They have a mini freakout when they see the Aiel Wise Women throwing Fireballs without moving their hands at all. They even comment that most Aes Sedai couldn't throw a fireball without the motion even if they tried and even though they know they don't need it because they've mentally programmed themselves for so many generations. If you wanted to do a weave without whatever motion you practiced with, it'd be like learning it from scratch.

As I said a few pages back, its why the Interpretive Dance thing doesn't bother me, and why Valda cutting off his victim's hands as a way to prevent her channeling was such a cool detail.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Sanguinia posted:

As I said a few pages back, its why the Interpretive Dance thing doesn't bother me, and why Valda cutting off his victim's hands as a way to prevent her channeling was such a cool detail.

Also wasn't there a thing about how aes sedai can't weave if they can't see the weaves? So there already was a way to block them off, this just ups the evil factor.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

as you can see, lews therin, i have depicted you as the 'soy wojak' in this image while i am the 'chad'. i have already won.

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!
The different channelers having different degrees of hand movements is one of my favourite little world building details that I didn't think there'd be any chance of making it into the show. So I was really glad to see Logain just standing there as he weaved.

I do think the Aes Sedai are about 30% too somatic about it but it works well enough.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

buffalo all day posted:

yeah there's some sort of connection formed by people who go through the doorway that lets the finns access their memories even after they leave the portal

ed: the FAQ on this is helpful albeit pre-ToM https://www.steelypips.org/wot-tgs/node/133.html

This link is great and reminded me that WoT is pretty much the only story aside from Pratchett's Lords and Ladies that comes close to showing what it's supposed to be like when you deal with faeries.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell, too.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

RC Cola posted:

Seriously. Show elaborate weaves, just a crazy battle while they stand still. Then just cut to a normal person's perspective mid fight. Just two sweaty ladies staring at each other. Then cut back to the battle and intense music

I always think it's my imagination painting the scene this way (complete with Muzak playing softly while the janitor walks by), but it's pretty much literally the text. Seems obvious he was trying to set up cues for an adaptation almost

quote:

A man who came in then, or any woman unable to channel, would have seen only two women facing each other across the white silk rope from a distance of less than ten feet. Two women staring at one another in a vast hall full of strange things. They would have seen nothing to say it was a duel. No leaping about and hacking with swords as men would do, nothing smashed or broken. Just two women standing there. But a duel all the same, and maybe to the death. Against one of the Forsaken.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Data Graham posted:

I always think it's my imagination painting the scene this way (complete with Muzak playing softly while the janitor walks by), but it's pretty much literally the text. Seems obvious he was trying to set up cues for an adaptation almost

Same. Also the two Severing weaves are making chainsaw noises as they clash against each other.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Course the other option is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22Tj_l4PcPs

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

silvergoose posted:

I was assuming knuckling was twirling the mustache around a knuckle.

It's when you punch yourself in the face.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

I'm really waiting for that moment when they make clear that only channelers and the viewers can see the weaves, that's going to be a cool moment.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm curious as to when they're going to change perrin's eyes. there's no way it doesn't happen this season and there's most likely going to be some event that causes it, i'm sure.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Pretty sure we saw a screen shot with the golden eye.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

The Notorious ZSB posted:

I'm really waiting for that moment when they make clear that only channelers and the viewers can see the weaves, that's going to be a cool moment.

The first episode hinted at this a little bit by seeing Moraine's results before the camera view changed to Egwene and Nynaeve when you could then see the weaves.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Johnny Joestar posted:

i'm curious as to when they're going to change perrin's eyes. there's no way it doesn't happen this season and there's most likely going to be some event that causes it, i'm sure.

If HBO couldn't be bothered to give Targaryn's purple eyes I'd be surprised if Amazon springs for golden eyes

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

How are u posted:

Pretty sure we saw a screen shot with the golden eye.

yeah i just mean in which episode, mainly. like, SOMETHING'S going to cause it sooner or later this season. i absolutely get the sense they're going to try and get something interesting going for all 5 main characters before the season finale so i have to wonder if they have something up their sleeve for ol' perrin given what they did for nynaeve.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Johnny Joestar posted:

yeah i just mean in which episode, mainly. like, SOMETHING'S going to cause it sooner or later this season. i absolutely get the sense they're going to try and get something interesting going for all 5 main characters before the season finale so i have to wonder if they have something up their sleeve for ol' perrin given what they did for nynaeve.

i reckon it'll be killing the whitecloaks, since that's a kind of snapping point (and then his eyes further confirm that he's probably some darkfriend or whatever to them lol)

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Sab669 posted:

If HBO couldn't be bothered to give Targaryn's purple eyes I'd be surprised if Amazon springs for golden eyes

couldn't it be done with just contacts?

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I think it happens when he receives his first communication from Hopper.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I think it's going to happen while he's with the tinkers and it freaks him out and that's what gets them to leave them and run into the white cloaks.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
He'll kill some whitecloaks in defense of the tinkers, most likely. And they'll send him away for doing violence.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Episode 5 is called: Blood Calls Blood and the description says: Perrin and Egwene run into a familiar face, which means someone they've met before.

From what we know of teasers and poo poo they get captured by whitecloaks, so it must be Valda's contingent that they come across. Hopper will probably communicate with him and help them escape and that'll be the first appearance of the golden eyes.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

How are u posted:

He'll kill some whitecloaks in defense of the tinkers, most likely. And they'll send him away for doing violence.

This sounds right to me. I also reckon they'll be clearly explaining the wolfbrother thing this week so to get viewers thinking maybe the Dragon's Perrin instead of Mat or Nynaeve

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

ChubbyChecker posted:

couldn't it be done with just contacts?

Sure, but you can ask Henry Cavill how much fun that is.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I suspect they'll just have him hulk out from time to time and add it in post production rather than have him wear contacts for years.

This looks like it was added in post

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Hexel posted:

I suspect they'll just have him hulk out from time to time and add it in post production rather than have him wear contacts for years.

This looks like it was added in post

Yeah, I am all for practical effects as much as possible, but this show has a budget of $texas, so I would prefer they don't ask a young actor to risk his eyesight.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's fun to be able to speculate based on what we already know, since it's inevitably going to be a bit different. like having the pieces to a jigsaw puzzle but having no idea what the completed picture is supposed to be.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Johnny Joestar posted:

it's inevitably going to be a bit different

They gave us Logain teasers for about a month and that poo poo was totally different from what I imagined. In an amazing way :toot:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Has anyone posted "nynaeve cured Logain's madness and he no longer believed he could he the DR" take yet

If not then dibs

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
So I've spent a bit of time mulling over what they've done with Liandrin in the show and how much I love it. Showing her as being super pissed and almost burning herself out to control Logain I though was an excellent touch, and shows that whatever other loyalties she may have she's still an Aes Sedai and a Red first and foremost. Plus having Nynaeve see her in action makes it way more believable that Nynaeve and the others tag along with Liandrin later on if they set up that story arc from book 2 the same way.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Marchegiana posted:

So I've spent a bit of time mulling over what they've done with Liandrin in the show and how much I love it. Showing her as being super pissed and almost burning herself out to control Logain I though was an excellent touch, and shows that whatever other loyalties she may have she's still an Aes Sedai and a Red first and foremost. Plus having Nynaeve see her in action makes it way more believable that Nynaeve and the others tag along with Liandrin later on if they set up that story arc from book 2 the same way.

Agreed! I also like them fleshing out Lan & Nynaeve, whose romance is kinda out of left field a bit.

The Expanse did this too--by which I mean bringing in some characters early and/or giving them increased roles to make their later plot points less jarring--and it worked there, too!

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Marchegiana posted:

show liandrin is great character

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

they've done really well with characters in general so far, i feel. genuinely excited to see how rand turns out

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Curious if they are going to be mashing up Aginor and Ishamael considering the physical appearance of Ba'alzamon in the dream sequences. Or maybe they'll cast all 13+ (the + is for some of the reincarnations and aliases) Forsaken, who knows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Johnny Joestar posted:

they've done really well with characters in general so far, i feel. genuinely excited to see how rand turns out

Pretty excited for him to spend like 1 and a half seasons unconscious towards the end

Seriously I really hope they edit down some of the later books. Through book 6/7 is great, then I feel like 8 - 10 could really use some tightening up. It's pretty understandable since Robert Jordan was real sick at that point, and while the books are still good, you could really condense a lot of the character arcs without losing a lot

Presuming the show makes it that far I guess. My understanding is that this season covers book 1, a bunch of book 2 and some of 3 all kinda mixed together so with 4 seasons so far who knows