Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yes, the guy who did Diesel did watch fansubs of the original OVA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Waffleman_ posted:

Yes, the guy who did Diesel did watch fansubs of the original OVA

Lmao, it’s actually about someone in the World of Darkness thread claiming that the True Brujah (a clan of vampires whose unique ability is Time Bullshit) were intended as a Dio reference, and I’m curious if the timeline for that is even possible since they were officially codified with playable rules in 1994, the same year the last episodes of the JJBA OVA came out. The people who made WoD were very obviously into anime stuff but I don’t know how likely it was anyone on the team had even heard of JoJo at the time, given how fan translations of manga basically didn’t exist at the time

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Lmao, it’s actually about someone in the World of Darkness thread claiming that the True Brujah (a clan of vampires whose unique ability is Time Bullshit) were intended as a Dio reference, and I’m curious if the timeline for that is even possible since they were officially codified with playable rules in 1994, the same year the last episodes of the JJBA OVA came out. The people who made WoD were very obviously into anime stuff but I don’t know how likely it was anyone on the team had even heard of JoJo at the time, given how fan translations of manga basically didn’t exist at the time

Huh that sounds interesting think I'll give True Brujah a quick Google

True Brujah Time Powers posted:

Kiss of Lachesis: Change the legal age of a target

:yikes:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Yeha that's more of a Grateful Dead thing anyway

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

multijoe posted:

Yeha that's more of a Grateful Dead thing anyway

e: Man I wish the capcom jojo fighter would have let you play as all of the part 3 stand users even the ones that you think wouldn't work

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Nov 24, 2021

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

e: Man I wish the capcom jojo fighter would have let you play as all of the part 3 stand users even the ones that you think wouldn't work

I want to see the orangutan's moveset.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

FirstAidKite posted:

N'Doul and Gray Fly were meant to be playable and can be hacked into the game. Death 13 already has a full move set and defeat graphic so it wouldn't surprise me if that was on the drawing board at some point

https://tcrf.net/JoJo%27s_Bizarre_Adventure_(Arcade)

Going by the arcade version Cameo and maybe J. Geil were in development as playable characters. Enya was planned as a mini-boss fight and could have been playable considering what happened with N'Doul

https://tcrf.net/JoJo%27s_Venture

Taking everything from both versions the only unplayable characters would be Strength, Wheel of Fortune, and the D'Arbys. Goddamn I wish this game had been finished, although all of this pales in comparison to the fact that the Golden Wind game almost had playable Doppio

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Nov 24, 2021

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

zetamind2000 posted:

Taking everything from both versions the only unplayable characters would be Strength, Wheel of Fortune, and the D'Arbys. Goddamn I wish this game had been finished

Steely Dan, Arabia Fats, Impostor Captain Tennille, Nena, and Oingo too

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
D'arby the younger but if you lose to him he steals your soul in real life

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

FirstAidKite posted:

I forgot but the PS1 version actually has fights against them in its super story mode though they're mini-games and quick-time events

Part 3 had so many Stand users

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

zetamind2000 posted:

I forgot but the PS1 version actually has fights against them in its super story mode though they're mini-games and quick-time events

Part 3 had so many Stand users

22 tarots, 9 gods, Holly, Vanilla Ice and Kenny G.
Part 4 had 26 Stands, part 5 had 27 (+2 requiem stands), part 6 had 25, part 7 had 21 and part 8 had 27 (+ whatever Milagro Man was).

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

FirstAidKite posted:

Don’t forget Kenny G :v:

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
OP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgxDyrEnnoE

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

I keep hearing the end as "DON'T STOP BEATING A MAN"

Bold statement, yet extremely appropriate

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Torquemadras posted:

I keep hearing the end as "DON'T STOP BEATING A MAN"

Bold statement, yet extremely appropriate

Always love it in an anime when the main theme comes in for the climax of the finale

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

That's a lot of Heavy Weather rainbows considering it won't show up until probably episode thirty

Baron La Croix
Nov 2, 2010

rastah farah
sonnah maddah fah
The OP's good but it reminds me how much I'd prefer it if the whole of part 6 stuck with the Jolyne-Ermes-F.F. trio.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

zetamind2000 posted:

That's a lot of Heavy Weather rainbows considering it won't show up until probably episode thirty

rainbows have pretty frequently been a common visual motif for part 6, along with butterflies. it fits with the color palettes they're going with in general

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The Extremely Heterosexual Adventures of Jolyne, Eames, and Foo Fighters.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm curious, there's that shot of the map at the end of the OP and there's a scattering of stars on it. would those correlate to anything in particular?

i'm asking purely because they literally would do something like that.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Johnny Joestar posted:

i'm curious, there's that shot of the map at the end of the OP and there's a scattering of stars on it. would those correlate to anything in particular?

i'm asking purely because they literally would do something like that.

Maybe it's a map of where everyone goes to leading up to the prison break.

Was there anything in the opening referencing highway to hell?

I like that Miucia is there in the hallway bit.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I like the detail of the CD that falls away from Jolyne before the part where she breaks her handcuffs. At first it has her face on it, but then it turns into Star Platinum. :allears:

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

So I had taken a break from reading Jojolion about five years ago. Only just now realized it was finished when talking about the Stone Ocean anime opening with a friend.

This afternoon I read five years worth of Jojolion and it was fantastic, but holy poo poo you guys must have suffered monthly. The final battle was nice as one bizarre episode, but that thing was published over three god drat years. I can't even imagine.

I read a fair bit of this thread too, and it seems people are pretty down on the part, but I think it was fantastic. It had an incredibly strong thematic feel. Reading it all at once it's striking just how often fights and plots revolve around uncomfortable social situations, social obligations (being productive vs being happy), and money. The exact cost of things is brought up over and over again in a way that became pretty striking once you noticed it. Some folks have mentioned that this is a kind of unsuccessful mystery plot, but that's not Jojolion at its core- it's a very Jojo take on social fear and anxiety. The mystery plays into that, as do all the relations between the various characters, and especially all the fight gimmicks. I can't think of a single fight that's really about physical abilities rather than horror and anxiety. Even if some plot details fell apart, there was a very solid focus on evoking a certain feeling. Even the final fight- it was incredibly was frustrating and indirect. Trying to make any sort of progress consistently just blew up in your face, as a supernatural rule. It was a fight against depression. And in terms of plot, it wasn't to save the world from supernatural domination or anything, it was basically just a fight to preserve egalitarian healthcare.

Compare this to Steel Ball Run, which is a fantastic adventure story set in the huge exotic expanse of historical America. The contrast between the linear race across a continent, and the directionless mystery in one Japanese town is great. It's also the exact same contrast that made part 4 my favorite out of the first 6. Going from part 3's journey across the world to stop a megalomaniacal vampire, to some kids chilling in a Japanese town, eventually fighting a guy who just wants to be left alone (to kill people and romance their severed hands). It's all Jojo, and the contrast is definitely the strength of the whole series.

Araki may not have kept hold of the plot in the way some people wanted, but he absolutely nailed the themes. Even things like the constant sexual peril that Yasho keeps finding herself in, which would ordinarily feel kind of gross and excessive to me, felt like it was thematically appropriate. Everything was about violation and anxiety.

It's a great contrast to the rest of the series, and I'm glad Araki can keep putting out thematically coherent stories that still have that fever-dream quality that defines all of Jojo.

I'm really looking forward to checking out what comes next in another four or five years. Hopefully he doesn't run into the same issues that parts 5 and 6 had. I feel like he never recaptured the focus of part 4, and just more part 3 style adventures were kind of unsatisfying, until he buckled down and started over with a solid adventure for Steel Ball Run.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

that op kicks rear end
love the callbacks to Part 3’s openings

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Eiba posted:

Araki may not have kept hold of the plot in the way some people wanted, but he absolutely nailed the themes.

That's pretty much how I feel about almost every part.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Looks like this is gonna be a three-opening deal like Part 4 was, the opening only shows up to Torrential Downpour Warning.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I just wanna say I love Torrential Downpour Warning so much.

That and Marilyn Manson are the two things I'm looking forward to the most this Wednesday.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
On part 8’s long final battle. I think the Funny Valentine battle was longer was it not?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I wonder if reading week-by-week is why people hated Dragon's Dream so much. I liked it a lot--a weird piss-drinking stand user, a weird stand with weird rules that talks poo poo about its own user, it was great, but I read it all in one sitting so that might change the experience a bit

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I kind of want to read Stone Ocean again. I re-read the Made in Heaven arc again and I was surprised that even with such a powerful ability, Pucci was still on the defensive the whole time.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Eiba posted:

I read a fair bit of this thread too, and it seems people are pretty down on the part, but I think it was fantastic. It had an incredibly strong thematic feel. Reading it all at once it's striking just how often fights and plots revolve around uncomfortable social situations, social obligations (being productive vs being happy), and money. The exact cost of things is brought up over and over again in a way that became pretty striking once you noticed it. Some folks have mentioned that this is a kind of unsuccessful mystery plot, but that's not Jojolion at its core- it's a very Jojo take on social fear and anxiety. The mystery plays into that, as do all the relations between the various characters, and especially all the fight gimmicks. I can't think of a single fight that's really about physical abilities rather than horror and anxiety. Even if some plot details fell apart, there was a very solid focus on evoking a certain feeling. Even the final fight- it was incredibly was frustrating and indirect. Trying to make any sort of progress consistently just blew up in your face, as a supernatural rule. It was a fight against depression. And in terms of plot, it wasn't to save the world from supernatural domination or anything, it was basically just a fight to preserve egalitarian healthcare.

This is a great insight, thanks for posting. I'm seeing the arc in a different light now and broadly agree with your take on it. California King Bed, Shakedown Road, Milagro Man -- all these are stories about prices and whether you're willing to pay it. I Am A Rock, Rock You like a Hurricane Doobie Wah, Ozone Baby, etc are fights involving people who are being coerced by, essentially, their terms of employment into fighting Gappy and the Higashikatas. Even Born This Way fits with what you describe -- inescapable pursuit no matter how hard they try to shake BTW off.

My big issue with Jojolion is that it feels like nothing the protagonists did had any real impact on how the story played out, and that Gappy's final powerup is just, literally, "shoot++" and it's never explained how or why despite it being critically important to the resolution of the fight that Soft & Wet's bubbles weren't part of this universe along with there being so much buildup for something unusual happening with Gappy's body fusion, the Wall Eyes, and potentially the Corpse. And for an arc that's supposedly so focused on meaningful costs, there's barely any regard for Kyo or Rai's deaths, nor the (briefly seriously damaged) relationship between Gappy and Yasuho.

It's frustrating partly because with some minor tweaks the story could've stuck the landing. After Damo went down, the plot seemed to be pointing very strongly at Jobin and whatever he was up to with his dealing with Rock Humans, the Rokakaka, and the Higashikata fruit business. Instead we veer to the side and take on a whole new group of previously-unknown Rock Humans, right after finishing off dealing with an antagonistic group of Rock Humans, and Jobin has very little to do with it beyond holding the Rokakaka hostage.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I wonder if reading week-by-week is why people hated Dragon's Dream so much. I liked it a lot--a weird piss-drinking stand user, a weird stand with weird rules that talks poo poo about its own user, it was great, but I read it all in one sitting so that might change the experience a bit
Yeah, I don't get the hate. It's one of the weakest Part 6 fights, but the overall chill nature of the Stand itself and an "it's that weird dude who drinks piss" comment make it at least memorable and funny. It's also incredibly short, iirc.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Don't forget DD starts off with Jolyne's "the world's fingers for 'gently caress off'" bit.

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006

Electric Phantasm posted:

Don't forget DD starts off with Jolyne's "the world's fingers for 'gently caress off'" bit.

God, she's the best. Can't wait to see this and Sky High.

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I read it all in one go too but I still wasn't a huge fan. It does have things to recommend for itself, but I still found it hard to follow with a weaksauce ending. The big thing I'm looking forward to with the anime is that hopefully some of the more confusing fights are going to look better animated.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Two days from now

https://twitter.com/WeedStoneOcean/status/805653352994500609

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

An underappreciated part of Stone Ocean is how Green Dolphin Street is the most Jojo-rear end prison possible.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Full of elves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
And whatever the warden is