Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
Grey and white always seemed like the afterthought ajahs. Real hufflepuff energy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

CainFortea posted:

Or "you capture men all the time, you are supposed to know how this works"

I really feel like the fact that the emphasis on the conversation is that everyone, even the Aes Sedai, are supposed to follow the law rather than just do whatever they want, is a pretty strong indicator that the Reds are supposed to be Magic Cops. But either way, as someone pointed out its made explicit in the Amazon X-Ray trivia note for the scene. "Reds are a force that police misuse of the One Power, with a strong focus on men who can channel."

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I think the only grey ajah I can name off hand is Annoura, Berelain's advisor. And I remember everyone thinking she was black ajah and she might have been, cause I don't remember anything about her besides this.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Sanguinia posted:

I really feel like the fact that the emphasis on the conversation is that everyone, even the Aes Sedai, are supposed to follow the law rather than just do whatever they want, is a pretty strong indicator that the Reds are supposed to be Magic Cops. But either way, as someone pointed out its made explicit in the Amazon X-Ray trivia note for the scene. "Reds are a force that police misuse of the One Power, with a strong focus on men who can channel."

Well I didn't look at the X-Ray. :colbert:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah, the show makes it explicit that it's what they're going for with the reds, which works way better than 'we capture guys who channel' as their single, solitary focus

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Barreft posted:

I think the only grey ajah I can name off hand is Annoura, Berelain's advisor. And I remember everyone thinking she was black ajah and she might have been, cause I don't remember anything about her besides this.

Merana is the other main one that got page time, the one leading the embassy.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Johnny Joestar posted:

yeah, the show makes it explicit that it's what they're going for with the reds, which works way better than 'we capture guys who channel' as their single, solitary focus

I actually think it doesn't work 'way better' but its pretty whatever at this point.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I dunno, I kinda thought it would have been cool if they were like "We are magic cops!" and the rest of the aes sedai are like "yea sure whatever shutup and go catch that false dragon" until the reds took over and suddenly it wasn't a joke anymore.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

eke out posted:

also moiraine literally operates a spy network

Every Ajah and most individual Aes Sedai have their own network of "eyes and ears".

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

The Aes Sedai are the Magic Cops to begin with, that's their whole thing. "Misuse of the One Power" I'll Just take as being non-spoilery in meaning "using Saidin".

I may be wrong!

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Jaxyon posted:

- Hates Rands personality and thinks he's a toxic lovely boyfriend

I'd argue that when she told him she was going to be Wisdom Apprentice, he was no longer her boyfriend. And, since she put aside a lifelong relationship for a job, even if it was more of a calling, he's allowed to be hurt by it, and have feelings about it.

Plus, according to the books, he should be feeling the madness of the coming change. And 18 hours ago he watched his village razed by monsters, a good chunk of people he knew were murdered, and his Dad almost died.
Dude's 20, and a heated mess. Girlfriend dumping him isn't helping.

"Plus he's so white" doesn't add much to the discussion.

GORDON fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Nov 30, 2021

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
If you hate on the whiteness of Rand you hate on the whiteness of the Aiel.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

How are u posted:

Speaking of, here was an Ep 3 x-ray:

- East of the Spine of the World, in a sprawling desert, live the mysterious Aiel. Not much is known about these strange people. They are easy to spot, usually standing a head higher than any Westlander, and sporting bright red hair.

I thank tsob for transcribing the first 3 episodes xrays

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Barreft posted:

The Aes Sedai are the Magic Cops to begin with, that's their whole thing. "Misuse of the One Power" I'll Just take as being non-spoilery in meaning "using Saidin".

I may be wrong!

The show has established that there are female false Dragons who presumably use Saidar, so the Reds in the show seem to be assigned for not just men who can channel. I actually believe Liandrin here - even if she is putting spin on it. I like the change/expansion in the Red portfolio personally.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

GORDON posted:

I'd argue that when she told him she was going to be Wisdom Apprentice, he was no longer her boyfriend. And, since she put aside a lifelong relationship for a job, even if it was more of a calling, he's allowed to be hurt by it, and have feelings about it.

Plus, according to the books, he should be feeling the madness of the coming change. And 18 hours ago he watched his village razed by monsters, a good chunk of people he knew were murdered, and his Dad almost died.
Dude's 20, and a heated mess. Girlfriend dumping him isn't helping.

Everyone went through the same trauma, he's one the being lovely about it, with the least reason. He can be upset about a breakup but he doesn't have to be a dick. Perrin killed his wife and he's got more chill.

My partner hasn't read the books, they're going by the portrayal in the series.

quote:

"Plus he's so white" doesn't add much to the discussion.

How are u posted:

Yeah there's no relevance to yet another fantasy main character "chosen one" being a white cis male. :rolleyes:

Some real unexplored territory there.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Jaxyon can you please just allow us to enjoy a book series we've been wishing to see our whole lives? jfc

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Very spicy take to try and roast a series for stereotypical protagonist syndrome when the entire message at the end of the books was "that attitude of trying to go it alone and do everything solo was literally the reason we failed and broke the world, and only by everyone working together with agency of their own can we succeed"

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Gwaihir posted:

Very spicy take to try and roast a series for stereotypical protagonist syndrome when the entire message at the end of the books was "that attitude of trying to go it alone and do everything solo was literally the reason we failed and broke the world, and only by everyone working together with agency of their own can we succeed"

Notice how they also think that all the other characters having their own arcs is trimmable fat.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

The Red Ajah is supposed to police the misuse of the one power. It just so happens that men using it is, by far, the largest offense and most people forget about the rest.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Barreft posted:

Jaxyon can you please just allow us to enjoy a book series we've been wishing to see our whole lives? jfc

If you love something you can love it despite it's flaws, rather than thinking it's flawless.

How am I ruining your enjoyment? You realize there's an ignore button right?

Gwaihir posted:

I don't think my point is especially spicy, nor does it conflict with that messaging.

I don't even think it should be controversial.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Notice how they also think that all the other characters having their own arcs is trimmable fat.

I specifically think that Mesaana isn't necessary as a character, in a discussion of "number of forsaken that should be included". Egwene has a great story and doesn't at all need a showdown with specifically Mesaana to have it.

FWIW Be'lal could also be completely removed, and give the scene to Ba'alzamon/Ishy. Though I admit him getting absolutely owned by Moiraine after poo poo-talking about how badass he is rules.

Jaxyon fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Nov 30, 2021

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I have a feeling the "rand so white" crew will come around eventually. I've really liked Josha's performance so far.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

GORDON posted:

Yeah, my read was definitely that being Wisdom apprentice meant she'd put any relationship on hold

Rand may be toxic, but he can't be a toxic bf on account of he ain't anyones bf at the moment

that said, the show is not very explicit about this, so "wow, he doesn't want Egwene to train for a cool important job? what a shithead!" is a valid interpretation i think

they maybe should have stuck with the book thing where they were just sorta vaguely childhood sweethearts and were never ~together in any official way, but maybe that was too hard to explain given they'd aged them up to adults.

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

I really am wondering how non-readers are going to take the reveal.

I've gotta imagine there'll be some pretty pronounced backlash to Rand being the DR, given how hard they leaned into "this is the fantasy show about powerful women!" in the marketing

even if they do deliver on having a lot of powerful women (and they've been doing well so far!) that'll be diminished somewhat by the Extra-Double-Special Most Powerful person being a guy

a lot of "oh, yet another white male Chosen One" takes are inevitable

especially after GoT went the way it did at the end, people may espy a pattern

What I'm not sure about is whether people will be interested in the whole weird ~collective chosen one~ concept of the ta'veren, which i guess is sort of being extended to include egwene and nynaeve (its weird jordan did not do this to begin with)

if the showrunners play the ta'veren up, that might mitigate the reveal of Rand as DR

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Nov 30, 2021

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Hot take, Rand has moments of not being particularly interesting, but he also has lots of moments of being the center of literally everything. So its not so bad that he isn't really cool and awesome in the first season. (much like how he wasn't really cool or interesting in book 1)

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

The show makes "Wisdom's cannot marry, so Egwene apprenticing for Nyneave ends the relationship forever" pretty explicit.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

PupsOfWar posted:

Yeah, my read was definitely that being Wisdom apprentice meant she'd put any relationship on hold

Rand may be toxic, but he can't be a toxic bf on account of he ain't anyones bf at the moment

that said, the show is not very explicit about this, so "wow, he doesn't want Egwene to train for a cool important job? what a shithead!" is a valid interpretation i think

they maybe should have stuck with the book thing where they were just sorta vaguely childhood sweethearts and were never ~together in any official way, but maybe that was too hard to explain given they'd aged them up to adults.

I've gotta imagine there'll be some pretty pronounced backlash to Rand being the DR, given how hard they leaned into "this is the fantasy show about powerful women!" in the marketing

even if they do deliver on having a lot of powerful women (and they've been doing well so far!) that'll be diminished somewhat by the Extra-Double-Special Most Powerful person being a guy

a lot of "oh, yet another white male Chosen One" takes are inevitable

especially after GoT went the way it did at the end, people may espy a pattern

What I'm not sure about is whether people will be interested in the whole weird ~collective chosen one~ concept of the ta'veren, which i guess is sort of being extended to include egwene and nynaeve

if the showrunners play the ta'veren up, that might mitigate the reveal of Rand as DR

Keep in mind that we have only 8 episodes. I'm sure with 10 we could get actual context on this to the audience.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
"This is a fantasy series that is about powerful women and very diversely casted!"

Oh cool so the chosen one's a woman of color?

"uh....."

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

RC Cola posted:

Hot take, Rand has moments of not being particularly interesting, but he also has lots of moments of being the center of literally everything. So its not so bad that he isn't really cool and awesome in the first season. (much like how he wasn't really cool or interesting in book 1)

Agreed. I like that they're highlighting everyone and giving them chances to shine so they aren't forgotten when Rand becomes the dragon

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

Jaxyon posted:

"This is a fantasy series that is about powerful women and very diversely casted!"

"uh....."

incredibly strong "actually Christmas was a pagan holiday" at the dinner table energy

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

incredibly strong "actually Christmas was a pagan holiday" at the dinner table energy

I dunno what they even mean. This is a D&D superstar so yeah.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Barreft posted:

I dunno what they even mean. This is a D&D superstar so yeah.

excuse me

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Some interesting things about this “chosen one”:

1) it’s not good to be the chosen one, in fact it’s extremely bad, you go crazy and you die
2) the chosen one doesn’t appear to be the main character, at best he’s one of an ensemble
(This is straight out of the books btw where he has the realization that it was “never about him” - they quoted this passage as part of the shows marketing)
3) the chosen one doesn’t have to be the show protagonist

There’s 100% no doubt the book series is interrogating what it means to be the chosen one and how much it sucks, and how it would affect a person. I think making the dragon look like a “traditional” hero makes the subversion of the trope (like him going completely nuts and scaring the poo poo out of people) more powerful. He looks as you would “expect” but doesn’t behave like it at all.

The one thing that’s undercutting this is making the identity of the dragon a mystery, which might lead folks to believe that once he’s revealed he will become the story focus. Which, he won’t! And everyone ITT should know that.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

lol

but come on you gotta admit this is tired and weird. You at least try

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Jaxyon posted:

"uh....."

And he quit literally fucks it up constantly until he starts listening to a bunch of women around him.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Why can’t a powerful GirlBoss be the reincarnation of a guy who murdered his family who will destroy all the nations, go crazy, have his hand chopped off and break the world. SMDH.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

it is though

the story is essentially a coming of age story with three act structure

the first act was a part of book one, the third act was in the last three books in tiny slices, and the second act was overly bloated and took the rest of the books

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

buffalo all day posted:

Some interesting things about this “chosen one”:

1) it’s not good to be the chosen one, in fact it’s extremely bad, you go crazy and you die
2) the chosen one doesn’t appear to be the main character, at best he’s one of an ensemble
(This is straight out of the books btw where he has the realization that it was “never about him” - they quoted this passage as part of the shows marketing)
3) the chosen one doesn’t have to be the show protagonist

There’s 100% no doubt the book series is interrogating what it means to be the chosen one and how much it sucks, and how it would affect a person. I think making the dragon look like a “traditional” hero makes the subversion of the trope (like him going completely nuts and scaring the poo poo out of people) more powerful. He looks as you would “expect” but doesn’t behave like it at all.

The one thing that’s undercutting this is making the identity of the dragon a mystery, which might lead folks to believe that once he’s revealed he will become the story focus. Which, he won’t! And everyone ITT should know that.

The cool thing about this is that Rand is definately maybe a bad guy for a decent chunk of the series as he becomes Darth Rand

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Please stop letting Jaxyon derail this thread. We even had a good speculation talk going for a few hours

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

RC Cola posted:

The cool thing about this is that Rand is definately maybe a bad guy for a decent chunk of the series as he becomes Darth Rand

Rand's a loving terrifying nutcase. He's a walking world destroying nuke who talks to himself and has the whole world on his shoulders

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

ChubbyChecker posted:

it is though

the story is essentially a coming of age story with three act structure

the first act was a part of book one, the third act was in the last three books in tiny slices, and the second act was overly bloated and took the rest of the books

The fat is what makes the meal taste so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

RC Cola posted:

That's not even a maybe lol, it's a definitely.