Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

Hexel posted:

Seems to be some kind of internal tower politics. Will we get a surprise Elaida??

No idea who the two powerful enemies could be.

I’d guess Liandrin and Siuan. A warder dropped a line about how Siuan was pissed at Moiraine and Lan over her absence. Siuan’s probably playing the same tricks she used in the Salidar plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

latinotwink1997 posted:

When he was fighting the DO, at one point he was weaving the very essence of the pattern, not the 5 elements channelers usually do. I always got the impression that when he lit the pipe, it was from having that connection to how it all works and he could now affect things at a more primal level (the essence of thought).

It’s never actually explained by Sanderson or otherwise so we don’t really know.

My assumption here was that it was an extension of the Ta'veren powers he shows in Gathering Storm and beyond.

In that book, when he threatens Cadsuane, he suggests that if he thought it, the pattern would warp and just by chance, stop her heart. I think this is the logical extension of that.

Except, y'know, instead of heart stopping it's pipe lighting.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

Prairie Bus posted:

I’d guess Liandrin and Siuan. A warder dropped a line about how Siuan was pissed at Moiraine and Lan over her absence. Siuan’s probably playing the same tricks she used in the Salidar plot.

I’m rereading TGH right now, and Siuan has everyone convinced she’s super pissed at Moiraine, until they’re behind closed doors and they start scheming.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Natural 20 posted:

My assumption here was that it was an extension of the Ta'veren powers he shows in Gathering Storm and beyond.

In that book, when he threatens Cadsuane, he suggests that if he thought it, the pattern would warp and just by chance, stop her heart. I think this is the logical extension of that.

He developed the Infinite Improbability Drive

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Dramatika posted:

I’m rereading TGH right now, and Siuan has everyone convinced she’s super pissed at Moiraine, until they’re behind closed doors and they start scheming.

or kissing

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Am I misremembering or did Wheel of Time mention pillow sisters or whatever in the book.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

P I L L O W F R I E N D S

e; yeah, they were absolutely mentioned at some point. I don’t know when, maybe New Spring?

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

It can be two things

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Dramatika posted:

e; yeah, they were absolutely mentioned at some point. I don’t know when, maybe New Spring?

gets mentioned a lot before that but new spring makes it explicit

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

https://twitter.com/James_alThor/status/1459623562466189330

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Mad Hamish posted:

It can be two things

non-exclusive or, correct

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I saw a post on tumblr that summed it up really well.

"It’s hilarious though because people clearly think that Siuan hates Moiraine and Siuan can’t lie so I’m just imagining Siuan around the White Tower just making horny comments about Moiraine that sound like threats like “if Moiraine were here right now she wouldn’t be able to leave my sight until I gave her something to scream about”"

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

"tickling"

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Dramatika posted:

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

CainFortea posted:

I saw a post on tumblr that summed it up really well.

"It’s hilarious though because people clearly think that Siuan hates Moiraine and Siuan can’t lie so I’m just imagining Siuan around the White Tower just making horny comments about Moiraine that sound like threats like “if Moiraine were here right now she wouldn’t be able to leave my sight until I gave her something to scream about”"

this is canon

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
When she's passed out from the trolloc poison in episode 3, Moraine mumbles "Siuan" so they're clearly making the nature of their relationship more blatant.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Siuan/Moiraine should be canon because I really want to see r/whitecloaks response to the most powerful person in the world being a queer black woman :allears:

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Rarity posted:

Siuan/Moiraine should be canon because I really want to see r/whitecloaks response to the most powerful person in the world being a queer black woman :allears:

It is canon.

https://wot.fandom.com/wiki/Pillow_friends

But again, the authors/90s take on it is less than stellar.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Jaxyon posted:

It is canon.

I meant show canon

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

Jaxyon posted:

It is canon.

https://wot.fandom.com/wiki/Pillow_friends

But again, the authors/90s take on it is less than stellar.

This is going to come as a shock to you but gay people had rich, full lives prior to 2020 or 2016 or whenever you started reading blogs.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

latinotwink1997 posted:

When he was fighting the DO, at one point he was weaving the very essence of the pattern, not the 5 elements channelers usually do. I always got the impression that when he lit the pipe, it was from having that connection to how it all works and he could now affect things at a more primal level (the essence of thought).

It’s never actually explained by Sanderson or otherwise so we don’t really know.

Natural 20 posted:

I don't think he's Ta'veren anymore after the last battle. I always kind of thought he unlocked some of the powers of Tel'aran'rhiod to use for himself in the real world.

Edit: Like he ascended to such a high plane of existence that he's kind of tapped into those powers permanently now

th3t00t fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Dec 1, 2021

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Jaxyon posted:

Because the author is inconsistent. He makes his climax be about free will but mostly doesn't care about it in more minor roles. Aviendha explicitly tries to run from fate, to the point of almost killing herself in a blizzard.

Min explicitly states in Salidar when she and Elayne meet up that she didn't want to fall in love and certainly doesn't want to share her partner but she had no choice. Direct quote "not that either of us has much choice".

Rand doesn't have a choice either. Nobody has good, enthusiastic and positive consent in that entire 4 way relationship.

star-crossed lovers, love at first sight, fated love, etc., are all tropes dating back literal thousands of years. This issue is sortof like trying to argue over whether or not Mary had a consensual relationship with God (think of the power differential!). It's either trivially true that everything was consensual (because Fate made Min, Rand, Elayne, etc., all want what happened, so they consented, problem solved), or you're mushing together two concepts of consent that are fundamentally incompatible because one rests on an axiomatic assumption that free will exists (and thus consent can be given or refused) and the other rejects that axiom in favor of predestination and fate.

FWIW the general stance in the text on that conflict is basically "free will exists unless there's a protagonist ta'veren around" which is essentially just acknowledging that story logic is one thing and real world logic is another and the two aren't the same.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Dec 1, 2021

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

also min has the larger ontological problem of having, as far as she knows, a perfect ability to see the future (within some very broad boundaries like "if the dark one wins and undoes reality this doesn't apply") and total inability to change it

i'd actually like the show to explore this more as they hopefully expand her characterization, because it takes a very specific kind of person to be able to deal with all that knowledge and still keep going

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Good catch, i missed that.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Jaxyon posted:

Because the author is inconsistent. He makes his climax be about free will but mostly doesn't care about it in more minor roles. Aviendha explicitly tries to run from fate, to the point of almost killing herself in a blizzard.

Min explicitly states in Salidar when she and Elayne meet up that she didn't want to fall in love and certainly doesn't want to share her partner but she had no choice. Direct quote "not that either of us has much choice".

Rand doesn't have a choice either. Nobody has good, enthusiastic and positive consent in that entire 4 way relationship.

I really liked that scene, good character intro and the song wasn't bad at all.

Aviendha wasn't running from her fate, she was running from dishonor. She already had really complicated emotions about giving up being a Maiden for the Wise One's path, her anger about learning that she was "destined," to be Rand's lover was about the fact that she promised her Near-Sister Elayne that she would make sure all the thieving harpies of the world (remember, this all happened after Berelain in the Stone) and she felt like she was now entrapped into becoming one of those thieving harpies. It's not like she didn't want to fall in love with Rand because the idea repulsed her or because she lamented her destiny, it was entirely about her cultural morays and the fact that he falling in love transgressed them in her opinion.

As for Min, she's not a reliable source on the subject. She's one of the most fatalistic characters in the entire franchise. Not without reason, mind you, but I don't take her feeling that none of them had any choice but to fall in love with Rand AND share him regardless of their actual will as a unabridged cosmic truth.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

This is going to come as a shock to you but gay people had rich, full lives prior to 2020 or 2016 or whenever you started reading blogs.

That's not a shock to me and I'm likely way older than you.

I have no idea what you think my take is.

Rarity posted:

I meant show canon

Oh ok.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Tune in tomorrow when Jaxyon gets outraged at the book's reaction to topless women.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Sanguinia posted:

Aviendha wasn't running from her fate, she was running from dishonor. She already had really complicated emotions about giving up being a Maiden for the Wise One's path, her anger about learning that she was "destined," to be Rand's lover was about the fact that she promised her Near-Sister Elayne that she would make sure all the thieving harpies of the world (remember, this all happened after Berelain in the Stone) and she felt like she was now entrapped into becoming one of those thieving harpies. It's not like she didn't want to fall in love with Rand because the idea repulsed her or because she lamented her destiny, it was entirely about her cultural morays and the fact that he falling in love transgressed them in her opinion.

As for Min, she's not a reliable source on the subject. She's one of the most fatalistic characters in the entire franchise. Not without reason, mind you, but I don't take her feeling that none of them had any choice but to fall in love with Rand AND share him regardless of their actual will as a unabridged cosmic truth.

The books literally describe people who never would have imagined getting married suddenly getting hitched purely because Rand walked through the town. I have no doubt that people who fall in love with a ta'veren feel it's their own free will, because the entire fabric of reality has shaped it to be so.

Rand's nature causes people to directly go against their best interests countless times just be him being present.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

star-crossed lovers, love at first sight, fated love, etc., are all tropes dating back literal thousands of years. This issue is sortof like trying to argue over whether or not Mary had a consensual relationship with God (think of the power differential!). It's either trivially true that everything was consensual (because Fate made Min, Rand, Elayne, etc., all want what happened, so they consented, problem solved), or you're mushing together two concepts of consent that are fundamentally incompatible because one rests on an axiomatic assumption that free will exists (and thus consent can be given or refused) and the other rejects that axiom in favor of predestination and fate.

FWIW the general stance in the text on that conflict is basically "free will exists unless there's a protagonist ta'veren around" which is essentially just acknowledging that story logic is one thing and real world logic is another and the two aren't the same.

Like I said, there's multiple forms of prophecy and the concept of ta'veren and that makes a modern, IRL version of consent really problematic. That's the world that I and the author live/lived in.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Tune in tomorrow when Jaxyon gets outraged at the book's reaction to topless women.

I'm going to assume the show won't be adapting the Sea Folk "wardrobe" as written. As much as everyone wants to call this the "next Game of Thrones" I don't see them leaning into HBO style nudity at any point.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Tune in tomorrow when somebody gets really upset about mild criticism of popular fiction.

I think this stuff is fun to talk about. :shrug:

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

If its over the whole "prove you're a woman by showing your boobs," thing I'll be cool with that. That was weird.

Jaxyon posted:

Tune in tomorrow when somebody gets really upset about mild criticism of popular fiction.

I agree and find your criticisms interesting even though I've yet to be on board with any of them. Keep posting.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
I only hope the show can do boobs (as Robert Jordan imagined them) justice.

https://twitter.com/MatsPips/status/1465793004476719113?t=8Hlklos4WjxCMvJGDNfmlA&s=19

:negative: "Too... much... bosom..."

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

wonder who has the Formidable Bosoms?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Jaxyon posted:

you're posting the exact same mild criticisms you posted months ago. It's for a reaction.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Barreft posted:

The Mistress of the Kitchens, I think.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

you're posting the exact same mild criticisms you posted months ago. It's for a reaction.

Ah yes, I can only post things I believe once, or it's for the glorious adulation of decades old epic fantasy series on a decades old forum.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Barreft posted:

I think a few women receive such a compliment but the first one that comes to mind is Setalle Anan.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Free will still exists with ta'veren because they still won't make you say/do something you'd never do, just something you'd only say/do in extremely rare circumstances (which just happens to be expedient to the plot).

Pleads fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Dec 1, 2021

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

William Bear posted:

https://twitter.com/MatsPips/status/1465793004476719113?t=8Hlklos4WjxCMvJGDNfmlA&s=19

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziBd-ntAKiU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Dr. Clockwork posted:

I'm going to assume the show won't be adapting the Sea Folk "wardrobe" as written. As much as everyone wants to call this the "next Game of Thrones" I don't see them leaning into HBO style nudity at any point.

I expect they'll cut the Sea Folk almost entirely. Boats are really expensive to film on.

Jaxyon posted:

Like I said, there's multiple forms of prophecy and the concept of ta'veren and that makes a modern, IRL version of consent really problematic. That's the world that I and the author live/lived in.

:eng101: technically you've got that backwards -- modern, real world, free will based notions of consent render narrative conventions and philosophies based on notions of fate or predestination problematic. That said, it's not really a problem that it's clear we can do anything with beyond point at and go "Huh, that sure is a thing!" which is I think why people are getting annoyed by it. It's sortof the ontological equivalent of shitposting. Like, ok, yes, problem spotted, are you suggesting any particular course of action in result, or are we all just supposed to stare at your post for a while then move on, or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

William Bear posted:

What, no "heaving"?