Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Why can’t everyone just chill out for like a month and let me play all my final fantasies

To completion

And then I’ll get back to doing everything I need to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

While its translation is not great, I feel like I understand most things in FFVII just fine.

But I've never understood the Wall Market dress choices. "That feels clean" vs. 'that feels soft" and "that's shiny" vs. "that shimmers."

I don't know much about dresses but what would a clean, shiny dress be?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I mean they live in a toxic waste barrel, dying in pipes, shrouded in eternal industrial darkness so “clean” and “shiny” are novel concepts

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Schwartzcough posted:

presumably the intention with the system is so that you'd always have something to collect for that tiny dopamine hit even as you go back through old zones.

This is almost certainly true since in vanilla FFXII chests only respawned if you went three zones away, whereas in TZA (and I assume IZJS) they respawn every time you enter a zone.

One thing I have noticed is that a lot of the minor sidequests give absolutely garbage rewards. In one sense I guess that's good because it means you don't miss out on anything if you don't do them, but in another sense it sucks that I've done this stuff and get nothing good from it. Like one of the rewards for hunting down the cockatrice is a Koga Blade, which I'd had for ages before the quest even opened up. Even the final reward for hunting them all down is two Hi-Ethers, which those are nice, but kind of underwhelming for all the work you have to put into the sidequest. Same thing for the Ktjn sidequest, the best reward you can get from it is a Runeblade, available after you beat Judge Bergan, but you can get Deathbringer which has higher attack power plus a chance to KO on hit at the Feywood which is before you even reach Mt. Bur-Omisace.

The sidequests maybe were more useful in vanilla, where there weren't so many guaranteed equipment chests. I seem to remember the Platinum Sword you get from the Ktjn sidequest in the original being really good, at least.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

jokes posted:

Why can’t everyone just chill out for like a month and let me play all my final fantasies

To completion

And then I’ll get back to doing everything I need to

I have like a dozen uncompleted X-2 runs that I've been meaning to get to since forever. The problem is that when I actually get time to play, I start thinking of new kinds of playthroughs and end up completing those instead.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

While its translation is not great, I feel like I understand most things in FFVII just fine.

But I've never understood the Wall Market dress choices. "That feels clean" vs. 'that feels soft" and "that's shiny" vs. "that shimmers."

Clean is probably better translated as "smooth".

Shiny is shiny. Shimmer is glossy.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

jokes posted:

I think Kimahri should have had blue magic as a normal command and Lancet is how you gather skills. His overdrive could have just been Hi-Jump

If you had access to all his blue magic all the time he'd still only be mid tier in FFX. That game has too many much better killers.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

There it bee

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Dec 22, 2021

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Lastdancer posted:

I haven't been in there yet please tell me there is a jukebox!

poo poo good question, someone wandered in while I was in there (you can see the footprint on the hud now that I look) so I got out quick lol

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Dec 22, 2021

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I wish not every boss in FFXII had Ignore Evasion. Like on one hand it's good that characters can feel free to equip two handed weapons without being at a severe disadvantage, on the other hand it means there's little incentive to try and get any shields other than the Aegis. Maybe they just didn't want the Ensanguined Shield to be super OP but like, come on! It's a 3% chest and you get three debuffs from equipping it just let people use it for cool strategies goddamn.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

I wish not every boss in FFXII had Ignore Evasion. Like on one hand it's good that characters can feel free to equip two handed weapons without being at a severe disadvantage, on the other hand it means there's little incentive to try and get any shields other than the Aegis. Maybe they just didn't want the Ensanguined Shield to be super OP but like, come on! It's a 3% chest and you get three debuffs from equipping it just let people use it for cool strategies goddamn.

BD2 has the opposite problem where the obvious strategies trivialize all the postgame stuff. I had like 3 different ways to kill the final bosses and optional superboss groups without them being able to take a turn.

There was also a fakeout where I was thinking there might be a neat gimmick boss that you had to fight with a party of freelancers with no subjob, but that ended up not being a thing.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

HD DAD posted:

This made me wonder if there were Japanese guides to the early FFs, and sure enough there were. I might try and snag a few.

If you buy one, please consider scanning them, theyd be super cool to see! But like, i get it if you dont

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

mandatory lesbian posted:

If you buy one, please consider scanning them, theyd be super cool to see! But like, i get it if you dont

The internet archive has at least a couple of Japanese FF 1+2 guides here and here. There's also an official Complete Collection guide (amongst other stuff) for FF4 here.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I was in one of those Five Below stores a few years back and they randomly had a big stack of this very high-quality, well-printed guides, with like 100% completion sections, a full bestiary/item list, etc. for $5

Unfortunately it's a guide to FFXIII-2 :smith:

It's really nice though!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

Maybe it's simple and clean?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

NikkolasKing posted:

Feels clean would be like crisp linens, that feel when you put a fresh set of sheets on the bed.

Soft could be a lot of things, but in context something like cotton.

Shiny would be silk, shimmers would be sequins or some other reflective-looking material

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Feels clean would be like crisp linens, that feel when you put a fresh set of sheets on the bed.

Shiny would be silk, shimmers would be sequins or some other reflective-looking material

Am I in the Ace Combat thread

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Shine with the angels

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

WaltherFeng posted:

Am I in the Ace Combat thread

I would play an Ace Combat demake in the vein of UN Squadron

loopsheloop
Oct 22, 2010
Playing through 5 right now (GBA, not pixel) and having a blast, this might be my favorite 2d FF. Just got to the second world and I appreciate that it's much lighter in tone

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Kanfy posted:

The internet archive has at least a couple of Japanese FF 1+2 guides here and here. There's also an official Complete Collection guide (amongst other stuff) for FF4 here.
Neat!

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Interesting shiny is silk because to get he Silk Dress you gotta pick "soft" and "shimmers." Apparently the other choices are Cotton and Satin.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Speaking of First Soldier, is there any ~deep lore~ hiding in there?

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Speaking of deep, Fishing Fantasy 14's newest expansion has finally brought us to the deepest fishing hole of all.

E: Also they added a proper (spear)fishing mini-game so it is now Officially a JRPG as well.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Dec 2, 2021

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

loopsheloop posted:

Playing through 5 right now (GBA, not pixel) and having a blast, this might be my favorite 2d FF. Just got to the second world and I appreciate that it's much lighter in tone

:unsmith: it’s really just the best 2D FF.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I need something to play over the next few days and I haven't played FF5 before. Should I just buy the steam version even though it isn't the complete version?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The GBA version isn’t more complete in any way, the things it adds are easily forgotten and ignored and in some ways bring the whole thing down. Who asked for a harder Shinryu?

The pixel remaster is the best way to play the best non-FF14 Final Fantasy.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

jokes posted:

The GBA version isn’t more complete in any way, the things it adds are easily forgotten and ignored and in some ways bring the whole thing down. Who asked for a harder Shinryu?

The pixel remaster is the best way to play the best non-FF14 Final Fantasy.
Seconding that you won't notice anything missing from GBA if you just get pixel - the GBA bonus content is just a stupid postgame dungeon that's hard for no reason and the other changes we post about in the thread are just veterans with dozens of runs through the game noticing small tricks that matter when you're deliberately restricting yourself.

Game is good. Buy.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Also I somehow feel honorbound to 100% all the PRs and the GBA version doesn’t have achievements.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Yeah, PR balance is subtly different from GBA but GBA balance is also subtly different from SNES, and "doing wacky things with FF5 mechanics" is such an old and storied tradition (the cart I bought in the early '00s was packed with gimmick run save files!) that everyone just kind of assumes SNES and sometimes points out where ports break strats.

Which leaves a short dungeon full of max-HP mobs with access to the final boss's once-per-AI-loop spells, guarding slightly better weapons. And a couple non-FF (or "something with the same fluff but entirely different skills was in FFT or one of the MMOs") jobs that do things which were already in the game but with heavy RNG dependence rather than preparation, which is pretty much the antithesis of how you'd want to play FF5. Not missing much at all.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I like Oracle...

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

GBA bonus jobs suck

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Yes the GBA additions are very bad and dumb. Shinryu and Omega are more than sufficient endgame/postgame content

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Cannonneer is actually cool and good and has neat strategies you can use with it since one of its cannon abilities ignores reaction scripts.

Necromancer would be neat if you didn't get it when there was nothing else to do in the game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

They should have added one of each of the new jobs to each crystal

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

do you level up faster in FF5PR the way you do in the previous PRs

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I think so. I was level 45 by the time I killed exdeath and I hadn’t been grinding poo poo. I remember beating exdeath at 33 or so in other runs when I wasn’t actively avoiding leveling up for a challenge run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I’m not sure. I just beat Soul Cannon and I’m level 25 without much outright grinding.