Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Today I learned Min's actor Kae Alexander is a GoT alumni.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Hexel posted:

Isn't Elaida's ultimate fate getting carried off by the Seanchan too?

Yep. She ends up teaching the Seanchan Traveling as well

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Hexel posted:

Isn't Elaida's ultimate fate getting carried off by the Seanchan too?

And teaches Traveling to them

edit: gently caress, beaten

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Elaida, useless and terrible to the very very end.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

God, I love to hate the Seanchan.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

CainFortea posted:

God, I love to hate the Seanchan.

Yeah I'm firmly with this sentiment. They're so good as clearly evil while believing to their cores that their way of life is normal and right.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

The Seanchan are some of my favorite villains in fiction, their society is so abhorrent and we see it so viscerally through the eyes of our main characters, but a lot of the individual characters from that society are likable and give us fascinating windows into how good people can get caught up in obvious evil. Not to mention in terms of Threat Level they're amazing adversaries, what with their incredibly powerful army and gigantic super ships and staggering wealth and enslaved weaponized wizards and deadly animals from other dimensions.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I read some of the books in the 90s as a kid and can't remember much. I do think I remember a myth in this universe that the tinker scene reminded me of, was wondering if one of you can confirm without it being too spoilery or googling stuff.

Was there at some point a AS who went mad and murdered a bunch of tinkers and they should stood in a circle around them letting them be killed one by one while they sung songs? I have this memory from kid me thinking this was super hosed up.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I read some of the books in the 90s as a kid and can't remember much. I do think I remember a myth in this universe that the tinker scene reminded me of, was wondering if one of you can confirm without it being too spoilery or googling stuff.

Was there at some point a AS who went mad and murdered a bunch of tinkers and they should stood in a circle around them letting them be killed one by one while they sung songs? I have this memory from kid me thinking this was super hosed up.

without spoiling, you're definitely remembering something from the books

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

You remember mostly correctly, its one of the most chilling anecdotes we hear about the Breaking and I love it.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Here you go.

“Do you know what happened to the Aiel at Tzora?” He nodded, and she sighed, reaching out to smooth his short hair as if he were a child. “Of course you do. You Da’shain have more courage than… Ten thousand Aiel linking arms and singing, trying to remind a madman of who they were and who he had been, trying to turn him with their bodies and a song. Jaric Mondoran killed them. He stood there, staring as though at a puzzle, killing them, and they kept closing their lines and singing. I am told he listened to the last Aiel for almost an hour before destroying him. And then Tzora burned, one huge flame consuming stone and metal and flesh. There is a sheet of glass where the second greatest city in the world once stood.

Actually reading that and I think (episode 5 stuff) the Tinkers linking arms to stop the Whitecloaks and allow Perrin and Egwene time to escape might be a reference to this

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

So I too have been thinking about the Forsaken, and it occurs to me that with balance between men and women being a big theme in the books, it would not surprise me if they went with four male and four female Forsaken. Under that theory I figure it would be:

Ishamael - Already mentioned
Sammael - Beard statue, probably combined with Ba'al and Rahvin as "the guy who keeps taking over countries"
Asmodean - Statue with guitar, critical to plot
Demandred - I'd go Taimandred, and even if you don't he's the end game boss for everyone (ironically enough, EXCEPT Rand)
Moghedian - Spider statue, essential to Nynaeve's plot
Lanfear - If you could only have two Forsaken, it would have to be her and Ishy
Graendal - Natrim's Barrow, though I'll bet she legit dies there
Semiraghe - Her infiltration and destruction of the Seanchan empire is important, but not as important and blowing off Rand's hand and nearly bringing Rand to the Dark, albeit at the cost of her own life, which she would NOT be down for if you told her about it in advance.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Actually reading that and I think (episode 5 stuff) the Tinkers linking arms to stop the Whitecloaks and allow Perrin and Egwene time to escape might be a reference to this

yeah i think it definitely is, they've really been doing a shitload of loose foreshadowing to things we won't see until a long time from now. see also: giving the tinker seeker the monologue about refusing to take up the spear to avenge her family

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

So here's a clean screengrab of Moiraine's little wall cabinet.

What it means? :shrug:

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Hexel posted:

yeah it may be nothing but it's so dripping in symbolism -- open a gated arch to see a woman looking through another series of arches -- i wouldn't be surprised if it's a ter'angreal

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

eke out posted:

yeah it may be nothing but it's so dripping in symbolism -- open a gated arch to see a woman looking through another series of arches -- i wouldn't be surprised if it's a ter'angreal

It almost looks like a woman looking though a door at a woman looking through a door.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Considering she looked at it right after Alanna's little interrogation, I wouldn't be surprised if its just a symbolic reminder of her mission. A long journey through pathways toward a bright light.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Tar Valon sucks so much you can't even have a window, or even a painting of a window. Instead, have a painting of someone looking at a window.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Since they kinda lingered on it I assume it’s to foreshadow her learning about sacrificing herself.

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm
Wasn't Siuan good at drawing and stuff? I may have just made that up in my head, but if I didn't they were talking abour her being pissed at Moiraine during that scene and then just goes and opens the cabinet.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

ad090 posted:

Wasn't Siuan good at drawing and stuff? I may have just made that up in my head, but if I didn't they were talking abour her being pissed at Moiraine during that scene and then just goes and opens the cabinet.

yeah this was my first thought, it's not special except that it's a thing that reminds her of siuan

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

eke out posted:

I saw a theory that I like.

One of the seals of the dark one's prison is behind the painting, and the painting is warded in such a way as to hide it. Or at least show if it's been tampered with.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Rewatching episode 5. It both begins and ends with funerals.

Rand calls Jain Farstrider "she"...? Unless he was referring to Egwene and I misunderstood.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

CainFortea posted:

I saw a theory that I like.

One of the seals of the dark one's prison is behind the painting, and the painting is warded in such a way as to hide it. Or at least show if it's been tampered with.

:eyepop:

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Hexel posted:

So here's a clean screengrab of Moiraine's little wall cabinet.

her most prized meme

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

rocketrobot posted:

Rewatching episode 5. It both begins and ends with funerals.

Rand calls Jain Farstrider "she"...? Unless he was referring to Egwene and I misunderstood.

rand was referring to egwene, but jain could be a woman too

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

ChubbyChecker posted:

her most prized meme

It's a very valuable Non-Fungible Ter'angreal.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Here's an interesting image from the bonus features, looks like the Blight to me.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I'd be down for grizzled badass old lady Noelle Charin

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I just saw this on twitter. 3rd shot of Fain in Tar Valon.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Rarity posted:

I'd be down for grizzled badass old lady Noelle Charin

Michelle Yeoh?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Someone with photoshop skills makes a "Find Fain" book in the vein of 'Where's Waldo"

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Shohreh Aghdashloo

edit: although she'd be an amazing Cadsuane.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

jng2058 posted:

So I too have been thinking about the Forsaken, and it occurs to me that with balance between men and women being a big theme in the books, it would not surprise me if they went with four male and four female Forsaken. Under that theory I figure it would be:

Ishamael - Already mentioned
Sammael - Beard statue, probably combined with Ba'al and Rahvin as "the guy who keeps taking over countries"
Asmodean - Statue with guitar, critical to plot
Demandred - I'd go Taimandred, and even if you don't he's the end game boss for everyone (ironically enough, EXCEPT Rand)
Moghedian - Spider statue, essential to Nynaeve's plot
Lanfear - If you could only have two Forsaken, it would have to be her and Ishy
Graendal - Natrim's Barrow, though I'll bet she legit dies there
Semiraghe - Her infiltration and destruction of the Seanchan empire is important, but not as important and blowing off Rand's hand and nearly bringing Rand to the Dark, albeit at the cost of her own life, which she would NOT be down for if you told her about it in advance.

I think 4th lady is gonna be Semirhage or Mesaana. But either can safely be combined into other forsaken.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'm reading Lord of Chaos right now and you spend a good amount of time with Graendal and Sammael so i wonder if we're going to get some footage of the Forsaken dealing with each other.

Also Rand continuing to practice the sword which is a cool scene. I wonder if we'll get that far into the books.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Someone with photoshop skills makes a "Find Fain" book in the vein of 'Where's Waldo"

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'm not a huge fan of Padan Fain in the books either.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

rocketrobot posted:

Shohreh Aghdashloo

edit: although she'd be an amazing Cadsuane.

That's my fan casting as well. Shohreh slapping the poo poo out of Rand would be great.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Hollismason posted:

I'm not a huge fan of Padan Fain in the books either.

Yeah, Jordan doesn't seem to know what to do with after a while. He should have died in Shadar Logoth or Far Madding, dragging it out to the Last Battle meant he just whiffed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

CainFortea posted:

I just saw this on twitter. 3rd shot of Fain in Tar Valon.

Hah, wow I caught the weird one where you blurrily see him step out of frame, but I totally missed that one.