Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Aurora posted:

for the purposes of most arguments like this i tend to ignore anything the dbz anime shows. it cuts straight from them at goku's pod to krillin showing up at roshi's, vegeta training, and goku and piccolo training gohan to them all meeting up at the city 3 years later

Ginyu coming back means the Z Anime is the only true canon.

Again, Yo! Son Goku and friends puts everyone up above Namek freeza to the point that the villains being that strong is an absolute joke to them.

I'm sorry, they all in fact did get that strong that fast. Because they always get that much stronger that fast if they focus and train hard. That's the whole deal of the show since OG Dragonball

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Dec 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Blaze Dragon posted:

I don't think that's true, in that it implies Tenshinhan even had a personality. His cocky, evil persona lasted all of one arc, and afterwards he became incredibly dull since his only trait was that he wanted to get stronger, which is also a personality trait in nearly the entire cast, and some degree of guilt that also disappears after an arc. Some games give him a more spiritual side which is neat (Attack of the Saiyans comes to mind) but otherwise Tenshinhan is a very dull character, while Vegeta has a lot going for him which has only gotten better with time.

This is not true going by the liveblog going through the whole series I have been reading. Tenshinhan particularly during the King Piccolo arc, is very much like Android arc Vegeta. Going on about Warrior pride, desiring to prove himself against Piccolo and leaving the others in the dark. Also a constant desire to prove he can surpass Goku as he realized Goku was stronger then him in the Tournament. Just today it was the blog covered Ten on King Kai’s world and how he intended to learn King Kai’s Techniques but how he did not intend to just copy what Goku did knowing it would not give him an advantage, instead he would put his own spin on the stuff to give him an edge. Implying he was still going to be relevant.
As Vegeta was originally not intended to around post Namek. Vegeta may have taken Tenshinhan’s role as he never showed off his new stuff.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

New Leaf posted:

I watched a YouTube video a while back talking about Krillin's strength and he made a good point - during Krillin and Goku's sparring match in Super before the Tournament, Goku went Super Saiyan Blue and got into a Kamehameha clash with Krillin and Krillin actually actually started pushing him back. Sure, Goku was massively holding back, but how much of his power was he using? 10%? 5%? Either number is a monstrous amount of power and says a lot about how strong Krillin really is.

Krillin's secret power is that he's not going to back down. Even if he knows he will 100% eventually lose and be killed, he's staying in the fight. Him pushing back against Goku isn't just his raw power but a showcase of his unbreakable willpower.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It also points out that Vegeta’s obsession with Goku and surpassing him is rooted in a misunderstanding. Namely Vegeta leaves the Saiyan arc thinking Goku is way more powerful then him barring Ozsaru form which Vegeta felt humiliated using as its meant for razing planets. Because Vegeta was completely unaware of the kaioken and thought Goku was sandbagging him and not on his last legs after the Beam struggle. Vegeta is also unaware of the Kaioken in general probably.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Krillin's secret power is that he's not going to back down. Even if he knows he will 100% eventually lose and be killed, he's staying in the fight. Him pushing back against Goku isn't just his raw power but a showcase of his unbreakable willpower.

Also he’s tricky in a fight which is how he rings out Goku there.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It’s kinda amazing that a character that even the author didn’t like stuck around because he was such a good heel. I mean, it’s partly because the story becomes easier to write when Vegeta exists cause he’s an arrogant tool that lives making things worse but still.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

MonsterEnvy posted:

It also points out that Vegeta’s obsession with Goku and surpassing him is rooted in a misunderstanding. Namely Vegeta leaves the Saiyan arc thinking Goku is way more powerful then him barring Ozsaru form which Vegeta felt humiliated using as its meant for razing planets. Because Vegeta was completely unaware of the kaioken and thought Goku was sandbagging him and not on his last legs after the Beam struggle. Vegeta is also unaware of the Kaioken in general probably.

Sure, but then Goku got out of the hospital, trained for like a week and thoroughly outclassed Vegeta despite Zenkais from Zarbon and Recoome.

And he still had the Kaioken as backup.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

New Leaf posted:

I watched a YouTube video a while back talking about Krillin's strength and he made a good point - during Krillin and Goku's sparring match in Super before the Tournament, Goku went Super Saiyan Blue and got into a Kamehameha clash with Krillin and Krillin actually actually started pushing him back. Sure, Goku was massively holding back, but how much of his power was he using? 10%? 5%? Either number is a monstrous amount of power and says a lot about how strong Krillin really is.

Krillin is a man that knows he will probably lose but he is going to take as much of the enemy/foe with him as he can. Both him and Goku in base could probably spar decently but he knows as soon as Goku transforms he is toast. Transforming in spite of that is also a sign of respect from Goku, he wants to push his friend to his limits to help him grow.

Oh god I'm typing on of those posts about Powerlevels aren't I ?!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

MonsterEnvy posted:

I don't think this is correct. During early Namek, Vegeta shows no interest whatsoever in Goku, he's entirely focused on getting the Dragon Balls and wishing for immortality because the only being he genuinely thought of as a danger was Freeza. His obsession with Goku started after the latter arrived in Namek and showed himself to be vastly more powerful than Vegeta was, easily destroying Recoome, Burter and Jeice while Vegeta couldn't do poo poo to the former. And then Goku did what Vegeta couldn't: he became the legendary Super Saiyan. After Vegeta spent the entire arc talking about how that was a position meant for him. It was a gigantic blow to his ego.

Zedd posted:

Krillin is a man that knows he will probably lose but he is going to take as much of the enemy/foe with him as he can. Both him and Goku in base could probably spar decently but he knows as soon as Goku transforms he is toast. Transforming in spite of that is also a sign of respect from Goku, he wants to push his friend to his limits to help him grow.

It's a good take though. There's a reason why Krillin's usual line against Goku in games is "going Super Saiyan is cheating!". Without transformations, it's merely reliving their old rivalry. Sure, Goku is undeniably stronger, but Krillin can keep up. It's when Goku shows his space ape genes that the fight becomes completely one-sided. And even there, Krillin's still the smarter fighter - in a fight with rules, Krillin can actually combat Super Saiyan Goku through clever techniques. But Blue is just too much, and I imagine even Super Saiyan 2 would already give Goku such a massive edge that no amount of technique could help.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Ginyu coming back means the Z Anime is the only true canon.

Again, Yo! Son Goku and friends puts everyone up above Namek freeza to the point that the villains being that strong is an absolute joke to them.

I'm sorry, they all in fact did get that strong that fast. Because they always get that much stronger that fast if they focus and train hard. That's the whole deal of the show since OG Dragonball

They get exactly as strong as they need to be for the current arc and there isn't any consistency to it at all, and anyone who isn't a Saiyan or Namekian is lucky if Toriyama even remembers they exist.

Anyway, the thing that stands out about Krillin for me isn't his power level or his techniques - it's the fact that he's the only character that not only actually wants to resolve conflicts without fighting, but actually puts a little more into that than just standing around letting the villain pummel him for three episodes. He usually doesn't actually manage to accomplish anything more than convincing a villain they didn't particularly need to bother beating the crap out of him right then, but he at least does a better job of "not wanting to fight unless he has to" than Gohan ever did. He was the only one to think even a little bit that maybe they shouldn't kill 17 and 18 just because a time traveler told them to.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Vizuyos posted:

They get exactly as strong as they need to be for the current arc and there isn't any consistency to it at all, and anyone who isn't a Saiyan or Namekian is lucky if Toriyama even remembers they exist.

Anyway, the thing that stands out about Krillin for me isn't his power level or his techniques - it's the fact that he's the only character that not only actually wants to resolve conflicts without fighting, but actually puts a little more into that than just standing around letting the villain pummel him for three episodes. He usually doesn't actually manage to accomplish anything more than convincing a villain they didn't particularly need to bother beating the crap out of him right then, but he at least does a better job of "not wanting to fight unless he has to" than Gohan ever did. He was the only one to think even a little bit that maybe they shouldn't kill 17 and 18 just because a time traveler told them to.

To be fair he only really thought that after he met them and 18 was incredibly hot.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Zedd posted:

That was pretty much the entire point of the team arc. Goku tested the entire team against Blue to see how they would react to that level fighter, and they all passed with 17 and Gohan showing they could actually make him work in it and Krillen saying he could be kind of crafty with it.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Goku considered Tien strong enough that he had to tell him to stay out of it when he went to fight android 19

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Stairmaster posted:

Goku considered Tien strong enough that he had to tell him to stay out of it when he went to fight android 19

This is because, as I've said before, the show somehow equates Tien to Piccolo in terms of strength and skill.

It does this *all the time* and I have no idea why. DBZ and Super both have moments of it, without ever giving him anything that backs it up

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Burkion posted:

This is because, as I've said before, the show somehow equates Tien to Piccolo in terms of strength and skill.

It does this *all the time* and I have no idea why. DBZ and Super both have moments of it, without ever giving him anything that backs it up

Toei always presented him as equal to Yamcha when they were overvaluing Yamcha.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

This has probably been posted about already, but there's a big project where various manga artists are doing tributes to Dragon Ball manga covers. The latest is Tatsuki Fujimoto, whose Goku is perhaps the least Goku looking Goku I've seen since the NES game.

(Nice picture otherwise, mind.)

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
All this talk about Yamcha power levels just reminds me of the time I played a hilariously broken translation of legend of the super saiyans the SNES game.
Because I had no idea what I was doing (translation was half English, half Japanese, half French) Yamcha survived everything and was basically MVP, because no enemy ever fully dodged his spirit ball.
He even got to use it against Freeza.
I'm also certain I also messed up virtually all Goku training sessions, so he was hilariously underpowered. Good thing Piccolo could merge with even more Namekians and Gohan could still go Ozaru with a card on Namek. They had to do all the work while Goku was getting stuffed with Senzu beans to stop him from dieing.

Burkion posted:

I thought this had more to do with how both have basically the same disposition towards life. They're always just off screen training by themselves.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

I don't think this is correct. During early Namek, Vegeta shows no interest whatsoever in Goku, he's entirely focused on getting the Dragon Balls and wishing for immortality because the only being he genuinely thought of as a danger was Freeza.

During the startup to Namek, Vegeta absolutely shows interest - he wants to go back to Earth and plaster everyone. It's only when he learns that Freeza found out about the Dragon Balls, that he switches focus to getting them before they disappear forever.

JoJosSiwaAdventure posted:

Yamcha is the only rival-turned-friend to get the clean W over Goku
Vegeta??

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Mr Satan took on a gunman with his bare hands and won effortlessly, just a reminder.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

if you think about it, frieza's planet destroying ball on namek is basically just a lovely spirit ball

yamcha: planet destroyer

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I think Yamcha is weaker than super perfect cell but stronger than dabyra, personally :evilbuddy:

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Mr Satan took on a gunman with his bare hands and won effortlessly, just a reminder.

He also moved so fast he disappeared. I bet in old school Dragonball he would have put up a decent fight until ki was a thing.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

chiasaur11 posted:

This has probably been posted about already, but there's a big project where various manga artists are doing tributes to Dragon Ball manga covers. The latest is Tatsuki Fujimoto, whose Goku is perhaps the least Goku looking Goku I've seen since the NES game.

(Nice picture otherwise, mind.)

Why does Bulma have a six inch thigh gap?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Burkion posted:

I think it's a size thing. Some people there probably think bigger = better and Tenshinhan is almost the same size as Piccolo so they match them.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

New Leaf posted:

He also moved so fast he disappeared. I bet in old school Dragonball he would have put up a decent fight until ki was a thing.

He could get past prelims in the first Budokai we saw and beat Manwolf, Bacterian, and Ranfan. He'd probably lose to Giran and would definitely hard stop at Nam. Gotta figure the ones he won got people up to Giran's level or something.

First appearance Goku or Krillen's first apperance would beat him after a decent little fight.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Darko posted:

He could get past prelims in the first Budokai we saw and beat Manwolf, Bacterian, and Ranfan. He'd probably lose to Giran and would definitely hard stop at Nam. Gotta figure the ones he won got people up to Giran's level or something.

First appearance Goku or Krillen's first apperance would beat him after a decent little fight.

I think his fighting level is about the same as the Red Army.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Darth TNT posted:

All this talk about Yamcha power levels just reminds me of the time I played a hilariously broken translation of legend of the super saiyans the SNES game.
Because I had no idea what I was doing (translation was half English, half Japanese, half French) Yamcha survived everything and was basically MVP, because no enemy ever fully dodged his spirit ball.
He even got to use it against Freeza.
I'm also certain I also messed up virtually all Goku training sessions, so he was hilariously underpowered. Good thing Piccolo could merge with even more Namekians and Gohan could still go Ozaru with a card on Namek. They had to do all the work while Goku was getting stuffed with Senzu beans to stop him from dieing.

I love how that game really lets you make your own version of the saiyan/namek arcs with different characters surviving or dying and having different power levels, it really feels like getting a unique story instead of just carrying the same characters through the same fights like most games do it.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Shyrka posted:

I love how that game really lets you make your own version of the saiyan/namek arcs with different characters surviving or dying and having different power levels, it really feels like getting a unique story instead of just carrying the same characters through the same fights like most games do it.

I wish that was a thing, just make What If games where you play one Saga and get to play out how your choices and the RNG goes.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Why does Bulma have a six inch thigh gap?

Hard work

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Namtab posted:

Hard work

It's probably a fair amount of effort gathering all those dragon balls for those body alterations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Mr Satan was said to be about as strong as King Chapa.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Here’s the truth. Yamcha cannot destroy a planet or even a moon. This is not because he is bad at beams. This is because he can’t gently caress. Dude can’t destroy pussy so there’s no worry about him destroying planets.

Krillin lays pipe so good he can satisfy an android with infinite energy, dude can easily destroy a planet. Goku’s so good that Chichi puts up with his absenteeism AND he doesn’t even know what kissing is. Vegeta has destroyed planets on screen and is able to satisfy the richest lady on the planet, who could get w anyone but Goku. Piccolo is coded as being able to lay solid pipe but chooses not to. Tienshinhan practices semen retention so he can destroy small solar bodies a few times a year.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I choose to believe Bulma hooked up with Vegeta because he was a prince and that was good enough for her.

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Dude can’t destroy pussy so there’s no worry about him destroying planets.

:hmmyes:

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Here’s the truth. Yamcha cannot destroy a planet or even a moon. This is not because he is bad at beams. This is because he can’t gently caress. Dude can’t destroy pussy so there’s no worry about him destroying planets.

Krillin lays pipe so good he can satisfy an android with infinite energy, dude can easily destroy a planet. Goku’s so good that Chichi puts up with his absenteeism AND he doesn’t even know what kissing is. Vegeta has destroyed planets on screen and is able to satisfy the richest lady on the planet, who could get w anyone but Goku. Piccolo is coded as being able to lay solid pipe but chooses not to. Tienshinhan practices semen retention so he can destroy small solar bodies a few times a year.

Yamcha loving around is why Bulma is with Vegeta.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Piccolo is coded as being able to lay solid pipe but chooses not to.

:hmmyes:

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

yamcha fucks too hard, actually

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Goku knows what kissing is. He was referring to feeding someone baby-bird style and Vegeta took it the wrong way. :thejoke:

Vegeta only blew up that planet in filler.

Also just :eyepop: at that whole post.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Burkion posted:

its in the manga begone fool

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Aurora posted:

yamcha fucks too hard, actually

i hosed him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

Dweebs who don't think Yamcha could destroy a planet refer to Son Goku and Friends as "The Z Fighters" and/or "Earth's Special Forces"