Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

As I recall, that ability was said to be usable because Dio was in 100% control of his body on a cellular level. So he probably couldn't use it anymore while he was still fusing with Jonathan.

Ah yes that right, he might have been able to do it after drinking Joseph and fingerbanging his temple for a bit but

Arzaac posted:

Honestly I just like the idea that DIO's so drunk on stando powa that he doesn't even consider for a second that he's also a vampire

its probably this too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
I thought I was prepared for everyone's meltdown over Part 6's ending. Nope.
Forgot that anime fans usually have no media literacy, and are already doing CinemaSins' like "Ding! That's bad writing!".
Next months are going to be hell.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

You don't have to read bad comment sections y'know

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

multijoe posted:

You don't have to read bad comment sections y'know
It was an accident, but I'm feeling that will be inescapable. Like, I get people who are disappointed. I remember Twin Peaks thread when Season 3 was done being the same way. But there you could at least get a discussion out of it.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I don't think the anime fans have seen the ending yet.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

the anime is really making me wish gwess joined the crew instead of anasui bc she is loving hilarious and he's pretty whatever

but also FF kinda fills a similar character personality role i guess

it's pretty hilarious how powerful her stand is out of context though given it doesn't actually need to touch or be that close to it's victim to shrink them nearly instantly. especially given that it apparently affects stand sizes too(!)

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I think Annasui is pretty hilarious post breakout tbh.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

multijoe posted:

GER even ceased to exist after the arrow fell out or it certainly had some limitations because if anything should have got the 'return to zero' treatment it's Made In Heaven forcing Giorno to experience the end of the universe

Made in Heaven wasn't an attack on Giorno; he wasn't a target of Puccis that would be killed in the former world and not exist in the new one, if anything, it would just be an annoyance that the world was speeding up around him and screwing with his perception.

It also could have activated and got rid of the effects like Rohan finishing his manga even though the rest of the universe was speeding up.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I'm looking forward to the "Dio's sons" bit and everyone is expecting Giorno and will treat the mere mention as a smoking gun and will be bummed when he and Josuke don't show up for the final confrontation.

Then again I don't think most are aware that Part 6 is the end of "Jojo's Bizarre Adventure" and that Parts 7 and 8 are not actually called Parts 7 and 8.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I think Annasui is pretty hilarious post breakout tbh.

Annasui picks up a bit once FF dies, but I really wish he dropped the creepy fixation with Jolyne.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Why would he? She is a beautiful lady

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

His fixation with Jolyne is mainly creepy because, you know, he's in jail for murdering his girlfriend

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

Szmitten posted:

I'm looking forward to the "Dio's sons" bit and everyone is expecting Giorno and will treat the mere mention as a smoking gun and will be bummed when he and Josuke don't show up for the final confrontation.

Then again I don't think most are aware that Part 6 is the end of "Jojo's Bizarre Adventure" and that Parts 7 and 8 are not actually called Parts 7 and 8.
I hope they add a little bit of other living heroes, even as just a "time speeding up, everyone is distressed" type of thing. It would be neat to see Morioh, not just hear about how badass Rohan is (although that was very funny)

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

I'm not exactly looking forward to everyone dying. While I haven't read the entire manga it seems like the ending will be sour. Feels a bit like they could've just shot Jolyne and Jotaro in the head in the beginning and moved on to SBR.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The ending of Stone Ocean is not as bleak as it might sound. Yes, everyone dies, but they're reincarnated into implied happier lives because the main villain is killed before completing his plan. The only downside is that the heroes don't remember Emporio, and he has to wrestle with the fact that they are not exactly the same people he originally befriended. Foo Fighters might also be permanently gone due to Pucci creating her unless the anime throws her a bone and includes her into the ending.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

No, it's still incredibly bleak

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Irene and Anakiss are actually getting married in the Ireneverse so it pretty much a worse outcome than Pucci's own plan

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I really like the ending even if it is somewhat bittersweet but I’ve always liked Emporio and like the way Pucci was killed. It was a real good final encounter after the mess of Part 5.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

There are a few things in Part 6 that make it obvious it's a dude writing a story that just happens to have a majority female cast, and the Anasui/McQueen portrayal of stalking as a bit of harmless fun is definitely one of them.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

hatty posted:

I really like the ending even if it is somewhat bittersweet but I’ve always liked Emporio and like the way Pucci was killed. It was a real good final encounter after the mess of Part 5.

Weather Report having the only hard-counter to Made in Heaven before Pucci is even a Stand user is such a good fitting conclusion to Pucci's Fate mania, how do you like that for your fate dipshit?

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

The ending of Stone Ocean is not as bleak as it might sound. Yes, everyone dies, but they're reincarnated into implied happier lives because the main villain is killed before completing his plan. The only downside is that the heroes don't remember Emporio, and he has to wrestle with the fact that they are not exactly the same people he originally befriended. Foo Fighters might also be permanently gone due to Pucci creating her unless the anime throws her a bone and includes her into the ending.

I agree with this. Especially with the story's focus on fate, there's an implication that fate will always bring Jolyne/Irene and crew together so they'll always be friends regardless of the world. Outside of Pucci screwing with the natural order of things and all that. So that's kinda a nice note to end on.

FF got a raw deal for sure though.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

JuniperCake posted:

I agree with this. Especially with the story's focus on fate, there's an implication that fate will always bring Jolyne/Irene and crew together so they'll always be friends regardless of the world. Outside of Pucci screwing with the natural order of things and all that. So that's kinda a nice note to end on.

FF got a raw deal for sure though.

Sure, but they're still dead. If I get murdered I'm not exactly consoled by the thought of a clone of me having a nice life.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Arist posted:

No, it's still incredibly bleak

I understand why, but I can't see it as a full on downer ending myself. Granted, I wouldn't call it a happy ending either.

Xand_Man posted:

There are a few things in Part 6 that make it obvious it's a dude writing a story that just happens to have a majority female cast, and the Anasui/McQueen portrayal of stalking as a bit of harmless fun is definitely one of them.

I wouldn't call McQueen "harmless fun" considering everyone thinks he's a dick for trying to drag someone down with him.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
They go to Jojo Heaven and hang with Buccellati and Kakyoin so they’re fine

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Brandfarlig posted:

Sure, but they're still dead. If I get murdered I'm not exactly consoled by the thought of a clone of me having a nice life.

JoJos has souls so I think they were reincarneted to the new people.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Darko posted:

That's Araki's stance on it, same souls but different lives. Considering that none of them would be likely to come in contact with the Stand arrow in this timeline there's a pretty good chance that Annakiss is the only one in the new group that has a Stand

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
Yeah I don't know why anyone would be consoled by the fact that Irene, some girl who isn't anything like Jolyne because she never experienced the entire cool story arc Jolyne got, is alive and getting married to some alternate universe Annasui. It's a complete anti-catharsis which is served poorly by the fact that that is the end of everything. Johnathan's death is bittersweet but we eventually get to the satisfying conclusion in part 3 where his lineage finally beats Dio. Jolyne just...didn't. Emporio and Weather Report did at the cost of Jolyn, FF, Weather Report and Hermes (and I guess Annasui but whatever).

Part 6 is carried hard by Jolyne being such a strong main Jojo and her ending being just loving dying in the Ocean because Pucci's fate is to kill her because he's so special is a real downer. Her final fight is getting pasted by someone with superspeed, basically off panel. It loving sucks.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Dec 4, 2021

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

I understand why, but I can't see it as a full on downer ending myself. Granted, I wouldn't call it a happy ending either.

I wouldn't call McQueen "harmless fun" considering everyone thinks he's a dick for trying to drag someone down with him.

McQueen is not even a stalker, he's a thief. And it appears that his suicidal tendencies where ramped up by him losing his memories.

McQueen does not even know that him killing himself will kill Ermes until she tells him.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Jolyne 100% dies and stays dead but the conclusion is hella cathartic because the story is about escaping prison and fate (which is a prison) and in the end they do.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Darko posted:

Yeah, Araki is on record of saying that Irene has all the feelings and love that Jolyne gained on her journey just not the specific memories. So I don't think Irene is supposed to be a separate person wholly unrelated to Jolyne but rather a continuation of her in the new world. Small details are different but she has the same spirit. As opposed to Pucci's world where the fake Jolyne has superficial resemblance but isn't her at all because he had removed her from his world.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Schwarzwald posted:

Jolyne 100% dies and stays dead but the conclusion is hella cathartic because the story is about escaping prison and fate (which is a prison) and in the end they do.

Escaping by being loving dead seems pretty counter intuitive.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
It turns out escaping from prison is dangerous!

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

For a particularly weird life, death and rebirth narrative that's also a meta comment on JoJo itself, it works out as rosily as one could hope for.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

They better get at least a cover of What a Wonderful World for the ending.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Tried to pick up this series up in manga form awhile ago and couldn't do it. The exposition is just so unrelenting and the author has a seeming inability to let any plot thread remain unanswered within three chapters. Read through the first JoJo, some of the second, and started Steel Ball Run - which I liked the most, but put it down after they resolved the 'lucky' guy's plot.

Started watching Stone Ocean tho and yeah yeah. This works so much better animated. I'm on board boys.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

perhaps you should go to the anime thread so you don't get spoiled

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Schwarzwald posted:

In that case getting shot in the head by Johngalli A is escaping too. I'm also not happy about Jotaro having a pretty poo poo life and then he gets murdered along with his daughter by one of Dios million boyfriends. It makes part 6 feel like part 2 of Death Note to Stardust Crusaders part 1.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I think it bums me out that Josuke and Giorno and all their pals who survived their ordeals and grew as people all get wiped out

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Xand_Man posted:

and the Anasui/McQueen portrayal of stalking as a bit of harmless fun is definitely one of them.

There is not a single time where anasui is clowned on or otherwise portrayed positively for his behavior and courtly love of jolyne

Stone Ocean has a bittersweet ending but it is important to remember that jolyne and co still won and did so completely and utterly. Pucci's plan was not only foiled, it was foiled by himself after he had become so sure that he had already won.

It's probably not a coincidence that Stone Ocean's ending is similar to Phantom Blood's and that it was through those willing to sacrifice themselves for others that at least 1 child could make it to the new world and carry on the will to fight and protect the world from evil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I think it bums me out that Josuke and Giorno and all their pals who survived their ordeals and grew as people all get wiped out

Wouldn't they be fine? They weren't killed before the reset, so they'd still exist.