Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

hahahah get hosed you ghoul

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
lmfao now

https://twitter.com/MartinKulldorff/status/1466396965244129280?t=ZH_jRZF4TWo0aM_mtdLyRA&s=19

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose
Just cut my own hair once again.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Want to crack ping?

https://twitter.com/patricklsimpson/status/1467231726711803911?s=20

Of the states that "got better"

If i had chosen 11/22 or any date after 11/23, PA would be light red.
Nevada has been bouncing between 81 and 83 every day, so its pretty stagnant.
11/23 was the first and last day ND hit 80% occupied since 11/9 when I think they misreported (11/8 was 79%, 11/9 was 96%, and 11/10 was 74%)....and its currently at a 10 day high.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

mod sassinator posted:

the failure mode for these types of filters is that they get more clogged up and don't breathe as well as they did at the start--they don't fail into a state where they filter worse.

This, they need replacement when you can't breathe through them anymore or when they physically deteriorate to the point where it is kind of obvious "hey I should stop using this now".

It's not like you're renting digital media and the drat mask is just gonna delete itself after forty hours.

Shifty Nipples fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Dec 4, 2021

navigation
Sep 30, 2009

olives black posted:

So is this 40 total hours of it (contiguous or not) being strapped to your face, or 40 hours from the second that you strap it to your face?

make sure to pay attention to your seal if you’re using one mask for short durations repeatedly, since you’ll then have more chances to overstretch the straps or overbend a metal band or otherwise gently caress up the mask since you are taking it on and off more. you should be checking that seal anyways, but it’s a risk with these that might sneak up on you.

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

Strep Vote posted:

My 10 year old got his second shot today, and yesterday I stood too long at the hummingbird feeder and got caught in a swarm of hummingbirds. One of them landed on my thumb with his feathery insect feet, and the wind and roar of their wings brushed my face.

In the third year of the pandemic, I made treaty with the wild things that live in the woods. :getin:

Magical

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Except viruses are like 30,000% bigger than fart molecules but I guess if you're dumb you think everything you can't see is some magical same size called "microscopic"

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

olives black posted:

So is this 40 total hours of it (contiguous or not) being strapped to your face, or 40 hours from the second that you strap it to your face?

strapped to your face

the PPE that degrades immediately from opening the pack is the stuff that filters organic gases, like the gold label respirator carts. they use certain chemicals to counteract gases and those degrade with exposure to air

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Plank Walker posted:

not to dismiss this idea completely, but earlier in that thread, the data appeared to be all comparative among historical cases in Gauteng Province
https://twitter.com/miamalan/status/1467172041971445761

ah that's good. but yeah if people see "look all 1000+ cases in africa were mild!" it might be a shock when you pull out 1000 cases in EU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

SirPablo posted:

My 3M HF-802 showed up. It rules.

welcome to being safe all the time

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

mod sassinator posted:

it's from march 2020 and early studies for hospital staff to reuse PPE. mask nerd aaron has recommended 40 hours of use too, based on his testing.

the failure mode for these types of filters is that they get more clogged up and don't breathe as well as they did at the start--they don't fail into a state where they filter worse. (they will however fail in that way if you clean them with alcohol or some cleaners that destroy the charge of the plastic filter media)

the bigger concern with reuse is bacteria growth. UV light like sunlight can help but ultimately it will be a problem over the long term. 40 hours is an easy to understand unit for most folks

the filter is probably fine. after wearing an aura for about 14 hours continuously but with having had to remove it like 7 times for airport bullshit, it was getting pretty flimsy and rolling at the edges.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

E: I can't verify it. They're disposable, throw em away if you spill BBQ sauce on them.

nomad2020 fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Dec 4, 2021

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
https://mobile.twitter.com/mtgreenee/status/1467167971848171525

Lol

Also why does she care if she’s proudly unvaccinated and won’t take the vaccine?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

fosborb posted:

oh is this why he was tweeting proverbs about not hurting people and poo poo earlier this week?

Somebody linked his Harvard bio page a few days ago and noted it says he's on leave so I think they fired him.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Glumwheels posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/mtgreenee/status/1467167971848171525

Lol

Also why does she care if she’s proudly unvaccinated and won’t take the vaccine?

because she is actually vaccinated and is a bad person op

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think people would take a cancer vaccine

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

euphronius posted:

thats what bill gates wants!!!12121314214124

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

nomad2020 posted:

IIRC you've got that bit exactly backwards.

https://smartairfilters.com/en/blog/disinfect-clean-n95-mask-virus-coronavirus/ is what I remember looking at long ago. it warns don't use alcohol

i leave my mask out on dashboard of car facing up into sun. a window might work too. it seems like everyone says you should just leave them to dry and not try to do anything like wash or clean them--just get a new mask when dirty or soiled

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

euphronius posted:

do you?

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

A Bakers Cousin posted:

thats what bill gates wants!!!12121314214124

Yea, probably.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I would take one and so would my wife

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
https://twitter.com/TMZ/status/1467045747711488001?s=20

Huh, I wonder what it was that helped. No way to be sure.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

il’ll reuse masks sometimes but if I ever feel a tinge of doubt about it, I ask, “what’s the cost of another mask? and how much would getting sick cost me immediately and in the long run?” and that makes it pretty easy to decide.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

We have an HPV vaccine which is basically a cancer vaccine. So yeah. I think they would.

Stoop Kid
Jan 17, 2007

Afraid to leave his stoop.

Salt Fish posted:

I'm sure these are legit, but they're a repack? Industrial supply is selling these display boxes:

yeah mine are a repack… they look/feel legit and the count was exactly right but I don’t think I can lookup the lot number to verify them

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?

euphronius posted:

there’s already one for cervical cancer

efb

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Thoguh posted:

I think it was just the healing vibes you get from taking to Joe Rogan that carried him through, the rest was placebo

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I think you should have to choose between the horse paste and the regeneron. You don't get to have both.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

euphronius posted:

You want to be like Communist Cuba?!

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Thoguh posted:

lmao this is the same poo poo with Tim Pool. My arm got sliced open! I got stitches, orange juice and a Twix Bar to treat it! And msm says Twix Bars don’t treat injuries. :smuggo:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Thoguh posted:

We have an HPV vaccine which is basically a cancer vaccine. So yeah. I think they would.

also in typical Chud fashion they turned the HPV vaccine at schools into a culture war fight.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

What's NAD

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Thoguh posted:

To be clear, post your pets all you want I am not saying do not do that just do not feel you have to post a pet on a snype and do not, under any circumstances, call it a pet tax.

lol gently caress off, people can drat well call it whatever they want

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

cr0y posted:

What's NAD

Not much, what's NAD with you?

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
just over 40% of adolescents in the US are not up to date on their hpv vaccine schedule

only 9% of children are not vaccinated against chicken pox

though for context, just under 50% of teens are not fully vaccinated against covid

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

lol gently caress off, people can drat well call it whatever they want

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Morbus posted:

I mean, the binding of antibodies to antigens, and of antigens to their target receptors, are all reversible reactions.
There is a reaction rate for the associative reaction, where the antibody (or antigen) binds to its ligand (Kon). There is also a reaction rate for their disassociation (Koff). "Affinity" is usually determined by measuring Kon and Koff then taking their ratio to determine the equilibrium rate constant Kd.

Every infection is a race between the ability of the immune system to clear the virus, and the ability of the virus to attach, enter cells, and replicate.
If the equilibrium rate constant for antigen->ACE2 is 1-2 orders of magnitude higher than the rate constant for antibody->spike, then generally the virus will "react" with cells much faster than antibodies can neutralize the virus.

Put another way, if the antigen affinity is much higher than the antibody affinity, then the reaction of antigen->ACE2 will be expected to "go to completion" even if the concentration of antibodies is very high.

This is all a gross simplification, but if you have a virus that is already pretty successful at doing it's thing, and you invert rate constants so that your antibody affinity goes from being an order of magnitude better than antigen affinity, to an order of magnitude worse, it's gonna be bad news bears.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Yeah, affinity constants are kinda counter-intuitive and bonding at the angstrom scale doesn't really behave the way you might expect. From years of doing surface plasmon resonance experiments (used in pharma to determine the affinities of new molecules), a moiety with picomolar affinity will happily displace a moiety with micromolar affinity

:stonk:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoSf7To0n3k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wjvov2fo9vo