Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Anne Whateley posted:

The true amazing solution (for drop biscuits) is ATK's method. You melt the butter and pour it into cold liquid, and it turns itself into a slushie of a million tiny pieces. https://www.wnyc.org/story/70598-americas-test-kitchens-best-drop-biscuits/

For flaky layered stuff I just pull out the food processor. If it's too big or too much of a hassle, the laziest solution might just be a smaller food processor. Especially if you're starting from frozen, which will be a real pain in the rear end to do manually.

I was making drop biscuits last night, got 3 small pieces of butter into the flour before I stopped what I was doing and tried this, it worked well and was significantly lazier, which was kind of ideal for how things were going with everything else last night. Thanks for posting the link!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
You're welcome, lazy options with great quality are my favorite thing

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7035441464008166703

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Anne Whateley posted:

You're welcome, lazy options with great quality are my favorite thing

Me too! I love a good effort:reward ratio.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I am finally doing it, I am overstepping my bounds. This year I am replacing my father in law's carving knife and his knife holder. His current knife and knife holder are the same ones he's been using since my wife was a child, and they have possibly been in use for longer than she's been alive. He's using one of those really old style slicers that has like a 12 inch long 1cm thick blade attached to a light brown handle, and the whole blade is completely straight so it's even more difficult than normal to sharpen by hand, and he keeps it in a cardboard tube from a roll of paper towels. It couldn't actually slice anything with how dull it is. It hadn't even occurred to me that I never saw the tube get changed, but my wife told me she's pretty sure it's been the same tube since she was a kid. I hope he doesn't cut himself and die, but he got an electric smoker for himself last christmas, and said he liked my knives and the knife holders before so this holiday season he'll be carving the pot roast after receiving these

Don't die, extra dad

edit: Realized that was a really macabre way to post that so to be clear, he's actually an extremely safety conscious person who just doesn't know poo poo about knives. He was a pilot in the Vietnam war, later had a career in OSHA, and during retirement has been a safety consultant for pre-inspection stuff as well as an expert witness for OSHA-related safety things. Gonna toss in a couple sets of machine-washable cut resistant gloves for him and my mother-in-law even if it's just so they feel more comfortable washing the thing by hand.

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Dec 2, 2021

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I got a duck for cheap today (last day of sell-by date), I’ve rather hamhandedly broken it down, and tomorrow we will be having confit duck legs, duck breast and some duck croquettes.

My children really have no idea how good they have it, when I was a kid, an extravagant meal meant lentil burgers.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Scientastic posted:

I got a duck for cheap today (last day of sell-by date), I’ve rather hamhandedly broken it down, and tomorrow we will be having confit duck legs, duck breast and some duck croquettes.

My children really have no idea how good they have it, when I was a kid, an extravagant meal meant lentil burgers.

Oh man I love duck. I’ve been dreaming of duck confit for months.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Scientastic posted:

Make duck stock from the carcass, duck stock is amazing.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Scientastic posted:

Oh man, very much gotta do this too in the next few weeks.

For your kids, just make sure you’re teaching them to cook! Don’t want them to be food snobs that can’t at least cook to share/impress!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
If anyone is looking for an Xmas gift for a friend (or themselves) I bought myself an electric spice grinder a while ago and love it.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
I finally used up a $50 gift card I got for Xmas a few years ago on five pounds of Rancho Gordon beans. Let’s hope this makes good on my “reducing meat intake except for good stuff” angle I’ve been working on. I recently went to Kalustiyana for black beans that I made so nice I got angry texts from the friend who was eating them post surgery (she wanted the soup as a bath sized portion, which is medically questionable)

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

therattle posted:

If anyone is looking for an Xmas gift for a friend (or themselves) I bought myself an electric spice grinder a while ago and love it.

sure, hook me up with a product link; I've been thinking about getting one off and on.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Mister Facetious posted:

sure, hook me up with a product link; I've been thinking about getting one off and on.

I don’t know if this is available in the US but this is what I got and it’s good

https://www.wahl.co.uk/product/spice-grinder-2/

mystes
May 31, 2006

spice grinders are the same thing as cheap blade coffee grinders

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Yeah just get a blade grinder with a metal cup so it doesn't permanently pick up smells

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

mystes posted:

spice grinders are the same thing as cheap blade coffee grinders

I don't drink coffee, so I don't know what there is or what the crappy ones are that will burn out in a month. :shrug:

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

"Get the good kind of the bad kind of coffee grinder"

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Grinder aficianados always give me douche chills *burr*

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

ha ha coffee grinder go brrrr

mystes
May 31, 2006

Casu Marzu posted:

ha ha coffee grinder go burr

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I like my burr grinder because the noise it makes is not as loud as the blade grinders I've had. Most coffee I drink these days is instant coffee that is some kind of pre-sweetened and pre-creamered mix that comes in packets though. It's from the Asian grocery store around here and tastes like what you'd get out of canned coffee from a vending machine, which is nice. I think I stopped giving a poo poo about coffee when kona became impossible to get

In any case spices I think are generally gonna be easier on the blade and motor than coffee, so I think it'll be fine whatever you get, as long as it has a metal cup that is removable so you can wash it

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Dec 12, 2021

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
The one I have has a removable cup and lid for washing (dishwasher safe) plus an extra insert for grinding small quantities. It’s very good and I am happy with it.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

If you use the grinder for both coffee and spices you can grind a small amount of white rice in between to clean the grinder of oils etc

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Helith posted:

If you use the grinder for both coffee and spices you can grind a small amount of white rice in between to clean the grinder of oils etc

UNCOOKED rice. To be clear.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Drink and Fight posted:

lol yeah

mystes
May 31, 2006

Drink and Fight posted:

drat now you tell me

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Stop wasting your money and stop wasting your rice. Hi I'm Pall Blampton and I'm the inventor of the anti-smell grinder cup metal! Surely you've heard how metal can be useful in neutralizing oil-based odors. One day it hit me. The coffee grinder that I also use as my spice grinder is constantly transferring smells between them because the cup is made of plastic! That day, I knew the cup metal had to be made. Instead of using rice, now you too can use tiny metal flakes and just grind em all up in your coffee grinder. Don't worry, they're made of harder metal than your blades, so they can be used again and again.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

signalnoise posted:

Stop wasting your money and stop wasting your rice. Hi I'm Pall Blampton and I'm the inventor of the anti-smell grinder cup metal! Surely you've heard how metal can be useful in neutralizing oil-based odors. One day it hit me. The coffee grinder that I also use as my spice grinder is constantly transferring smells between them because the cup is made of plastic! That day, I knew the cup metal had to be made. Instead of using rice, now you too can use tiny metal flakes and just grind em all up in your coffee grinder. Don't worry, they're made of harder metal than your blades, so they can be used again and again.

:golfclap:

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Any suggestions on where I can get my hands on Gros Michel bananas? I'd really like to try them to see how they compare to the Cavendish, but everywhere I've looked has them for stupidly expensive prices and high shipping costs. I figure you folks might have an inside line somewhere.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I've seen them at Ranch 99 occasionally. They're good.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Huh, turns out the microplanes with the metal handles are actually microplanes with a plastic handle with a stainless sleeve.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

SubG posted:

Huh, turns out the microplanes with the metal handles are actually microplanes with a plastic handle with a stainless sleeve.

I think you mean full shank microplanes

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

I think you mean full shank microplanes
Except they're not full shank. Turns out they've got like a 1" shank and some plastic. It kinda looks like the metal that the grater part is attached to is a continuous loop that goes through the handle, but it isn't.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

Is the supply chain crisis making everyone's produce markedly worse, or do I need to switch grocery chains? I'm starting to get sick of wilted lettuce, rubbery broccoli, and citrus that barely lasts a week.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I haven't noticed a difference here in Vancouver but I think a lot of our produce is locally sourced.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

you ate my cat posted:

Is the supply chain crisis making everyone's produce markedly worse, or do I need to switch grocery chains? I'm starting to get sick of wilted lettuce, rubbery broccoli, and citrus that barely lasts a week.

Its definitely worse for a lot of things, weirdly peppers seem fine though, haven't gotten a bad poblano yet. Its the prices that are killing me for sure though.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

I get most of my produce from a CSA I've subscribed to since before the pandemic and their quality has been more or less the same.

The thing that I've noticed, and I think I mentioned it in here before, is eggs. Sometime in the middle of the pandemic I started having trouble building emulsions using eggs from the grocery store. Tried multiple brands, same story. Eventually I tried getting the crunchy hippy locally sourced free range yadda yadda eggs that I can get through the CSA. No problems.

Egg yolks get worse at emulsifying poo poo as they age. I haven't done a lot of experimentation, but the "fresh" grocery store eggs behave like the CSA eggs after they've been sitting in the fridge for between two and three weeks.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

you ate my cat posted:

I dunno, but I've had way more poo poo spoiling on me than I ever remember before.

I tried a CSA that several people recommended here at one point, but they stopped delivering last winter, raised their prices and the quality got worse pretty much all at once so it was real easy to quit.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

I impulse bought 2 packs of cocktail weenies because they were on sale. I made the standard 'weenies in sweet/spicy bbqish sauce', any ideas on something not that to do with them? I'm drawing a blank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Buy a tube of crescent rolls. Cut into 3 triangles per precut triangle, wrap dogs, bake, no regrets.