Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Doom Mathematic posted:

I also had serious problems with the writing quality of The Three-Body Problem and was uncertain how much of that to attribute to the original and how much to attribute to poor translation.

yeah I would be really curious if anyone read it in both languages and can compare. it was stilted, even for a scifi novel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Does anyone else see the irony in a twitter mob targeting a person that led a twitter mob

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

mewse posted:

Does anyone else see the irony in a twitter mob targeting a person that led a twitter mob

is it also ironic when soldiers get shot

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Cherryh just flooding my to-read list, regret sleeping on her back when I was younger and had more time to read

JoJosSiwaAdventure
Nov 3, 2021

by Pragmatica

mewse posted:

won't somebody please think of the piece of poo poo that drove a woman to detransition

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

JoJosSiwaAdventure posted:

won't somebody please think of the piece of poo poo that drove a woman to detransition

I don't think that's a reasonable interpretation at all of what OP said. More like " hello look at this piece of poo poo what goes around comes around huh"

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
House of Suns Alistair Reynolds - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0819VSLF9/

Babel-17 by Samuel R Delany - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HE2JK4Y/

Peace on Earth (From the Memoirs of Ijon Tichy #4) by Stanislaw Lem - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008533DBW/

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

pradmer posted:

Peace on Earth (From the Memoirs of Ijon Tichy #4) by Stanislaw Lem - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008533DBW/
book good, everyone buy

The Sweet Hereafter
Jan 11, 2010
House Of Suns is actually £2.99 on Amazon UK, too, which doesn't often happen. I went and checked in desperate hope because I've wanted to read it since people here were talking it up a few months back. I still can't justify paying non-special offer prices for a Kindle book, and £2.99 is where my brain starts to relax the purse strings.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
it's one of his best ones IMO.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Book Twitter makes me not want to publish lol

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

<X> Twitter makes most people not want to do <X>, I have found.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I liked 3 body problem and didn't like the sequels, but honestly I think a lot of that is the translator change. It feels like a different author or some poo poo, just a massive tonal shift.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

In the sf/f book world on Twitter, your book will go unnoticed if it doesn't meet a set of specific criteria.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Yeah, if you're lucky. If you're unlucky it gets noticed.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Larry Parrish posted:

I liked 3 body problem and didn't like the sequels, but honestly I think a lot of that is the translator change. It feels like a different author or some poo poo, just a massive tonal shift.

Agreed, which is why I liked the sequels

The Sweet Hereafter
Jan 11, 2010
Wasn't it only the second one which had a different translator? I thought Ken Liu did the first and third? In terms of story, I liked the first one best. In terms of big ideas I think I like the second best. I've never felt any urge to go back and reread them though.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The Dark Forest did have some pretty good dry humour I didn't really get from the first ot the third, Luo Ji having the loving awesome plan to buy and drink the 500 year old underwater wine and nearly dying from it and the Trisolarans doing the super helpful wellness check on him at the end the moment they realise they've hosed it were both wonderful scenes

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

For what it’s worth, I read the two first books from same translator in Finnish, and the second just fell flat for me enough that I haven’t picked up the third yet. Not that I honestly feel I am very capable reviewing quality of translation or even prose in general.

(Translations directly from originals)

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Lunsku posted:

For what it’s worth, I read the two first books from same translator in Finnish, and the second just fell flat for me enough that I haven’t picked up the third yet. Not that I honestly feel I am very capable reviewing quality of translation or even prose in general.

(Translations directly from originals)

Do you read translations of English books? I'm curious if anyone here with English as a second language does that regularly with any of the authors we commonly talk about here.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Aardvark! posted:

Do you read translations of English books? I'm curious if anyone here with English as a second language does that regularly with any of the authors we commonly talk about here.

For myself, I mostly read genre literature in English, ever since I got enough skill points around age 13. The selection of stuff available in Norwegian translation isn't all that, and often of dubious quality. Better now than thirty years ago, mind you.

Some translations are garbage to the point where they try to port over idiomatic and metaphoric expressions literally word-for-word with no understanding.

Some are great, like the 1980s translation of LOTR where the dude sat and broke down all the English-based names to their roots and constructed new names based on Norse roots. (This in accordance with Tolkien's wishes, since his text was really supposed to be a translation doing the same thing from Westron to English.)

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Aardvark! posted:

Absolutely. I’d say I had a phase in 2000-2010 or so when I’d take the original every time just for some sort of perceived and probably not real superiority over translation, if possible. Nowadays, after working for a decade with English as my main language, i will absolutely take the Finnish translation if there is one. In the end I’ve found that despite being I think pretty fluent, Finnish just flows in my head nicer and easier when I’m reading something at evening before hitting the sack. That, and I like to suppport the actual business of translating genre fiction to a small language with my disposable income. Majority of my reading is in English anyway.

There’s also some odd cases, such as Sapkowski’s Witcher short stories and novels, where to my understanding Finnish translations came before and were just straight up better than Polish to English ones.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Aardvark! posted:

Yeah, but usually only when I really want to have a physical copy of the book in my bookshelf (and I know the translator and publisher are good, some things that come out here are outright book crimes). New - or new to me - books written in English I usually get in the original and in electronic form.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Dec 4, 2021

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Lunsku posted:

There’s also some odd cases, such as Sapkowski’s Witcher short stories and novels, where to my understanding Finnish translations came before and were just straight up better than Polish to English ones.

The Witcher books took a weirdly long time to get translated into English. When I read them I had to get most of them as fan translations and they were... rough. I keep meaning to reread them to see if I like them better now that they have professional translations.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

i read SFF translated in Japanese all the time (most recently Dune, the Witcher novels etc).
mostly for practice

murakami haruki (who is a noted translator of English literature as well as being a writer in his own right) wrote a series of essays about translation which i found fascinating. it's not just about the act of translating but deciding what books to translate

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The Dyachenkos are a writer team that have had a few books translated, most notably Vita Nostra. I wish there was enough impetus for a big publisher to translate all their works cause they’re great. The Scar is fantastic and had a nicer translation than Vita Nostra which was more a labor of love by someone learning on the job. But they’re still relatively unknown and there just hasn’t been the incentive for their other works to get brought over.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

General Battuta posted:

Yeah, if you're lucky. If you're unlucky it gets noticed.
drat, better preemptively cancel yourself instead of turning in that YA trilogy!

Also, can you please cancel my comedy act so I get famous? Thx.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Armauk posted:

In the sf/f book world on Twitter, your book will go unnoticed if it doesn't meet a set of specific criteria.

What's the criteria? I've got some abacuses I need to run numbers on.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Ccs posted:

The Dyachenkos are a writer team that have had a few books translated, most notably Vita Nostra. I wish there was enough impetus for a big publisher to translate all their works cause they’re great. The Scar is fantastic and had a nicer translation than Vita Nostra which was more a labor of love by someone learning on the job. But they’re still relatively unknown and there just hasn’t been the incentive for their other works to get brought over.

Vita Nostra was weird as poo poo and amazing. I pretty much read it in one sitting.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Groke posted:

Some are great, like the 1980s translation of LOTR where the dude sat and broke down all the English-based names to their roots and constructed new names based on Norse roots. (This in accordance with Tolkien's wishes, since his text was really supposed to be a translation doing the same thing from Westron to English.)

I spent years trying to learn Russian mostly because I wanted to read The Last Ringbearer and doubted anyone would ever translate it properly to English. Thankfully someone actually did, but at least now I can sort of muddle my way around Cyrillic which came in handy a few times.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Discworld's politics aren't that great frankly.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

packetmantis posted:

Discworld's politics aren't that great frankly.

What?

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Vetinari being a complete tyrant is fine because he's good at it, Twoflower is pretty racist, like 99% of the female characters are defined by who they're dating. The trans dwarf allegory is great but that doesn't mean all of it is great.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

packetmantis posted:

like 99% of the female characters are defined by who they're dating.

That Granny Weatherwax, such an ill-defined character.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

the countries modelled after real world cultures is pretty iffy nowadays especially the portrayals of asians and middle easterners

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Twoflower is a parody of an oblivious tourist, of course he's racist.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

packetmantis posted:

Vetinari being a complete tyrant is fine because he's good at it

yes

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

the only time having a tyrant makes any sense is a purposefully nonsensical and unfathomably bureaucratic fantasy world. its very clear satire. I don't know how you can read it and think the point is that Vetinari is cool actually.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

packetmantis posted:

Vetinari being a complete tyrant is fine because he's good at it, Twoflower is pretty racist, like 99% of the female characters are defined by who they're dating. The trans dwarf allegory is great but that doesn't mean all of it is great.

Oh, look someone who missed the entire point of Pratchetts work.
He actually had a rather apt description of you in his works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
:allears: And what would that be?