Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Dr. Clockwork posted:

I'll browse r/whitecloaks to laugh at the butthurt dingleberries after every ep, but I'll be hosed if I'm going to sink 3 hours into seeing Youtube sword guy rage about feminism or whatever.

One thing I noticed about this episode was that they quite deliberately dropped in a bit in the Liandrin/Nynaeve scene that talks about how women are still not really first-class citizens even in-universe, so they have to exercise what power they do have.

That feels out of step with the books' world where women decisively hold most of the seats of power at all levels of society, but it seems like a good move — in this era and climate hewing too closely to the books' depiction might come across like some kind of TOPSY TURVY TOWN satire like this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Data Graham posted:

One thing I noticed about this episode was that they quite deliberately dropped in a bit in the Liandrin/Nynaeve scene that talks about how women are still not really first-class citizens even in-universe, so they have to exercise what power they do have.

That feels out of step with the books' world where women decisively hold most of the seats of power at all levels of society, but it seems like a good move — in this era and climate hewing too closely to the books' depiction might come across like some kind of TOPSY TURVY TOWN satire like this

Can you imagine the wailing and gnashing of teeth of the people who are already mad that women are allowed to do cool things in this show if they actually went as full female power structure from the books?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

i'm happy not to hear what crap /r/whitecloaks has to say about the tv series

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

shrike82 posted:

i'm happy not to hear what crap /r/whitecloaks has to say about the tv series

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I'm happy to hear about what's going on with the whitecloak whackadoodles as long as they are extremely unhappy.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

jng2058 posted:

Honestly it's the "in the shadow of the White Tower" part that is a little troublesome. You'd have to think that the Tinkers would have mentioned to someone...probably an Aes Sedai...that Whitecloaks are kidnapping people right outside Tar Valon, and Egwene sounds like a girl who's coming to the Tower for training, so the Aes Sedai have every reason in the world to get in there and bust some heads. Hell, just send some Warders and the Tower Guard if you don't want to risk a Three Oaths violation.

But....on the other hand, having Egwene and Perrin get out of it because of their own abilities does make for better storytelling, show Valda's obsessed with killing any women who can channel so lurking outside of Tar Valon and picking off stray girls who can channel or unwary Aes Sedai for a little while then running off before having to face retribution is something he might be able to get away with.

So, while I can quibble with the situation, I don't find it to be an immersion breaker.

Weren't there white cloaks hanging out about this same distance from Tar Valon in book 3? Egwene started to gently caress em up with the power and got chewed out by Verin for it

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

The Glumslinger posted:

Weren't there white cloaks hanging out about this same distance from Tar Valon in book 3? Egwene started to gently caress em up with the power and got chewed out by Verin for it

Yeah Egwene blows up the ground around them and then they admonish her for it.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Verin says something like "They could not have carried away an aes sedai this close to the white tower, and they knew it, they were just blustering".

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Data Graham posted:

A lot of folks talk about the WoT-verse as being a matriarchal society, but it's really not. The Aes Sedai definitely play a big role in guiding the world's events, but many countries are ruled by kings and traditional gender roles are in place in many of the cultures. There's more equality in certain places in certain ways, or say the whole separate but equal power structure in the Two Rivers, but it varies a lot. Even in the world of the books I can see what Liandrin said being very true.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

CainsDescendant posted:

A lot of folks talk about the WoT-verse as being a matriarchal society, but it's really not. The Aes Sedai definitely play a big role in guiding the world's events, but many countries are ruled by kings and traditional gender roles are in place in many of the cultures. There's more equality in certain places in certain ways, or say the whole separate but equal power structure in the Two Rivers, but it varies a lot. Even in the world of the books I can see what Liandrin said being very true.

Yeah, your particular country being ruled by a queen instead of a king doesn't really keep, say, an abusive father in line.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Also we should remember that in the books, which admittedly could be changed for the show, there's plenty of men in charge all over the place. Illian, Arad Doman, and Cairhien have kings, all the High Lords of Tear are men, Amador has both a king nominally in charge and Pedron Nile ACTUALLY in charge, etc. etc. etc.

For that matter, all the militaries (save the Aiel and Seanchan of course) are pretty much men only as well. Even in Andor, with women in charge for hundreds of years, it wasn't until Elayne created her all female Queensguard that women in the military became a thing.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

jng2058 posted:

Also we should remember that in the books, which admittedly could be changed for the show, there's plenty of men in charge all over the place. Illian, Arad Doman, and Cairhien have kings, all the High Lords of Tear are men, Amador has both a king nominally in charge and Pedron Nile ACTUALLY in charge, etc. etc. etc.

For that matter, all the militaries (save the Aiel and Seanchan of course) are pretty much men only as well. Even in Andor, with women in charge for hundreds of years, it wasn't until Elayne created her all female Queensguard that women in the military became a thing.

Yeah outside of the Aiel the only women we really see take up open arms in main Randland are some of the Hunters for the Horn which mostly seems to be rich failkids larping.

We see plenty of women who are skilled with weapons but its usually that they're really good with a knife they keep hidden. Or that they take up arms in incredible circumstances (defense of the Two Rivers, Last Battle etc). And of course Birgette.

Zore fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Dec 5, 2021

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Zore posted:

mostly seems to be rich Failekids larping.

ftfy

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Arguably the most female-led society would probably be the Seanchan. They've got the Empress, Sul'dam, and a mixed gender military. The Aiel come close: they're led by Wise Ones, only women own real estate, and the women fight alongside the men, but there's only one female warrior society compared to a dozen men's and they're not even allowed to marry or have children.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

sea folk

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

That's another divided power structure thing. Sure only women can be captains, but as soon as there's combat the Swordmaster...who is always male...takes over. The Mistress of the Ship gets to decide what course to take, but the male Cargomaster gets exclusive say over what gets traded and in exchange for what. It's the Village Council and the Women's Circle thing all over again, just with different things in each column.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Aww, this is adorable:

https://twitter.com/philandchris/status/1467161470685351940

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I love the little scenes in Towers of Midnight as the Borderlanders troll Lan while he makes his way towards Tarwin's Gap.

I thought Daniel Henney was a bit too small and they wrote Lan a bit too friendly and open in the first ep of the show, but now I'm on board that it was a necessary change for TV and he's killed it so far.

e: Shortly followed by Gaul's "a mighty victory!" line which is the best joke in the series. Towers got some good humour going.

Pleads fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Dec 5, 2021

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

This show is so good.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

This is definitely printed out and hanging on the fridge, or possibly on the wall by the phone.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

jng2058 posted:

That's another divided power structure thing. Sure only women can be captains, but as soon as there's combat the Swordmaster...who is always male...takes over. The Mistress of the Ship gets to decide what course to take, but the male Cargomaster gets exclusive say over what gets traded and in exchange for what. It's the Village Council and the Women's Circle thing all over again, just with different things in each column.

The Sea Folk also have the thing where the higher ranking person in a marriage must defer to the other in private. They're definitely all about making sure that everyone has some power, sometimes.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I can't remember anything about him (been about 8 years since I read these things) and a quick check on his wiki tells me he's the only example, if we don't count Verin and her Warder.

There's Noal/Jain Farstrider as well!

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Natural 20 posted:

There's Noal/Jain Farstrider as well!

He was never a darkfriend?

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

The Lord Bude posted:

He was never a darkfriend?

Yeah, "manipulated by a forsaken and compelled by another" doesn't make someone a darkfriend.

Just really bad luck.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
He's a Darkfriend!

When Sammael visits Graendal he's in her palace and from what we know of him, not under compulsion.

Also he allegedly got to Shayol Ghul and I find it hard to imagine that someone who wasn't a Darkfriend got back from there after meeting Ishy.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Natural 20 posted:

He's a Darkfriend!

When Sammael visits Graendal he's in her palace and from what we know of him, not under compulsion.

That was the King of Arad Doman

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Rarity posted:

That was the King of Arad Doman

https://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=754#4

Per this Q&A it's Jain!

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

It's ambiguous. Jain has gaps in his memories and a certain amount of mental degradation consistent with being under heavy compulsion, but we also never learn about the series of events that cause him to become entangled with Ishamael or meet Graendal. Jain seems to personally feels like he has something to atone for, but whether that's being a Darkfriend or just not being strong enough to resist being used by the Forsaken, we don't know.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Also doesn't make him a darkfriend. He was manipulated/compulsioned into serving the dark one's interests, there is nothing in the text to suggest he was ever actually a darkfriend. The books make this pretty clear in my opinion. He was responsible for bringing the guy that betrayed Malkier to the shadow to justice.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

The Wiki says Graendal knew his true identity and was using subtle compulsion on him. He shows all the signs of being affected by long-term compulsion, as well.

Natural 20 posted:

Also he allegedly got to Shayol Ghul and I find it hard to imagine that someone who wasn't a Darkfriend got back from there after meeting Ishy.

Ishmael explicitly states that he let Jain go to serve his own ends, "thinking he was free of me"...so his safe return was part of Ishy's scheming.

Devorum fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Dec 5, 2021

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Natural 20 posted:

Graendal compulsed basically everyone in her palace though. Knowing nothing else, if you assume someone in her palace is under compulsion you'd be probably be right just by blind chance.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Well then :catstare: Dumais Wells :catstare: Just finished Lord of Chaos! It was really good although it was a bit slow.

Things I liked :

Mat's confrontation of Egwene , Elayne, and Nynaeve , that was loving hilarious

Min finally getting to Rand and all the teasing she gives him

The developing story of the bowl that Elayne and Nynaeve are looking for. The story isn't resolved but its a good story.

Elayne and Nynaeve being raised to Aes Sedai!

Egwene becomes the Amyrllin seat!

Ash A Man :catstare: Goddamn that was loving brutal when they let the shield down and then just devastate the ranks of the Shaido

Rand breaking free of the shielding was one of the better moments

Perrin finally showing back up, the intrigue with Berelain and Faile , that was kind what the gently caress is going on with Berelain and Faile , not sure maybe I'm missing something

Overall it was really good a little light on the action but it still had a pretty engrossing story. I probably liked it a little less than the last one but the Ashaman just devastating a army was such a bad rear end moment it was worth it.

Only 8 more books to go! I should at this pace be finished in 2 months ? I dunno this has all be very relaxing and really great for me personally to find something that I'm enjoying so much.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

"Kneel, or be knelt" is one of those iconic lines. "The unstained tower, broken, bends knee to the forgotten sign" in the epigraph. Really glad you're enjoying it. :)

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yeah that was definitely a bad rear end moment. To bad we didn't see the scene where Rand went berserk at finding Min was in the camp then killed a warder with his bare hands.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

lol i'm rereading LOC and love the scene where he first meets Taim who hands him a Seal, then lew therin starts screaming about breaking it and rand thinks about how he's in control and stuffing him down and---

rand is standing with the seal over his head about to dash it on the ground muttering "breakitbreakitbreakit" out loud and 100% of the assembled court sees it

i like the thing Jordan does where crazy guy is constantly thinking about how he's definitely dealing with it and you immediately cut to seeing that no, he's absolutely not dealing with it

edit: thanks tor reread:

quote:

Lews Therin’s voice came up like thunder. Break it break them all must break them must must must break them all break them and strike must strike quickly must strike now break it break it break it . . .

Rand shook with the effort of fighting that voice down, forcing away a mist that clung like spiderwebs. His muscles ached as if he wrestled with a man of flesh, a giant. Handful by handful he stuffed the fog that was Lews Therin into the deepest crannies, the deepest shadows, he could find in his mind.

Abruptly he heard the words he was muttering hoarsely. “Must break it now break them all break it break it break it.” Abruptly he realized he had his hands over his head, holding the seal, ready to smash it to the white pavement. The only thing stopping him was Bashere, up on his toes, hands raised to grip Rand’s arms.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

genuinely incredibly excited to see what insane poo poo rand has to put up with in later seasons compared to what they had going on with logain, because lews therin is way more loving manic at times and rand is constantly like one step away from just making someone's skull explode like an overripe melon

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Hollismason posted:

Only 8 more books to go! I should at this pace be finished in 2 months ? I dunno this has all be very relaxing and really great for me personally to find something that I'm enjoying so much.

Most people find the next three books move at a slower pace, then things pick up again from 11 to the end.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Hollismason posted:

I really hope you keep liking it! The slog wasn't as bad as I remembered even if it had a few acutely bad spots.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

eke out posted:

lol i'm rereading LOC and love the scene where he first meets Taim who hands him a Seal, then lew therin starts screaming about breaking it and rand thinks about how he's in control and stuffing him down and---

rand is standing with the seal over his head about to dash it on the ground muttering "breakitbreakitbreakit" out loud and 100% of the assembled court sees it

i like the thing Jordan does where crazy guy is constantly thinking about how he's definitely dealing with it and you immediately cut to seeing that no, he's absolutely not dealing with it

edit: thanks tor reread:

Yeah Rand is kind of crazy at this point I wonder if he'll get worse or just do more crazy poo poo. I forget when the Lewis Therin voice started but it was rather gradual in the books and now its like all Rand can think about now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

silvergoose posted:

"Kneel, or be knelt" is one of those iconic lines. "The unstained tower, broken, bends knee to the forgotten sign" in the epigraph. Really glad you're enjoying it. :)
I do love how Dumais Wells hits so hard, not just because of what happens, but because Robert Jordan spent 5 books carefully setting up a world where this kind of thing just doesn't happen. The world is full of all these very specific rules to prevent magic from getting out of hand; Aes Sedai can only fight in self defense, the Wise Ones never partake in battle, the Forsaken are terrifying but there are only 13 of them and they stick to the shadows, thanks to the Red Ajah every male channeller is a man alone against the world.

And then, in a single chapter, every rule gets broken at the same time. From then on, every character lives in a new and more terrifying world.