Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Was Jolyne in Gucci a sequel in the new universe or a weird prequel or is it in limbo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I can't wait to go through all this times ten in the anime thread in a few months

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I can't wait to go through all this times ten in the anime thread in a few months

A whole new generation of people to be disappointed!

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Yeah but the sum of the character that we grow to enjoy and like no longer exists. Also she's still with Anasui so it's definitely a bad end.
The Jojo universe includes all kinds of ridiculous poo poo like ghosts, memories being put on disk, and ghost memories, and memories of ghost memories on disk. I do not think there's enough in the ending to read it as "all of that stuff got deleted and this is just A Completely Different Character."

While Annasui is definitely problematic, I view him as someone terrible who was still somehow redeemable through his exposure to Jolyne. What started as insane obsession, from my point of view, turned into actual honest admiration of her heroic qualities and a desire to do good like her.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Having re-read MiH last week, I can concur with that. I still think Anasui is creepy and off-putting, but him being willing to sacrifice himself or, earlier still, give up his life just so long as FF puppeted his body to remove Jotaro's disc before it was destroyed, does seem to show that he was becoming a better person. Somewhat.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

a whole lotta people itt conflating an ending that makes them feel good with a good ending

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Reading Stone Ocean again and it’s always cool when Jolyne stitches herself up with Stone Free during a fight can’t wait to see that animated.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Paper Lion posted:

a whole lotta people itt conflating an ending that makes them feel good with a good ending

nah

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Paper Lion posted:

I like how this is so vague that I'm not even sure which side you're :smug:ing at

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Personally I don't like it because it has the same impact as "It was all just a dream..." Like you could change the ending to Jolyne waking up and realizing she dreamed all of parts 1-6 and none of it actually happened, but now she and her family can live free of worry about DIO etc. because they never existed anymore, and it has the same impact.

I think Araki'd only really need to change one thing to make the ending a lot better (imo): have Jolyne be the sole survivor and the only one who remembers everything that actually happened. I still wouldn't be crazy about it but having Jolyne be the sole bearer of the burden would feel like a better and more appropriate ending than shoving it all on Emporio and have the Joestars escape everything completely unscathed

Wouldn't that change basically make it a dream for real, though? Like, straight up Wizard of Oz style.

SKULL.GIF posted:

I think the simpler theory is that Araki isn't particularly good at endings. He writes adventures, not endings.

As a storyteller, Araki tends to have a heavy focus on thematic continuity and much less focus on narrative continuity.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Schwarzwald posted:

As a storyteller, Araki tends to have a heavy focus on thematic continuity and much less focus on narrative continuity.

Which is kind of odd since the endings that focus on the narrative and character payoffs are all cool as hell (parts 1, 2, 3, + 7) but whenever he tries to go for a more thematic ending it sucks (5, 6 and apparently 8). Part 4 is the only one that kind of pulls off both I think, maybe because the theme is pretty simple as opposed to boring metaphors for Fate.

Also count me in the camp of thinking part 6's ending is kind of bad. It doesn't matter what Araki intended, it turned out unsatisfying and hollow. I don't give a gently caress about Irene.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Dec 6, 2021

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

I'm not sure silver chariot being really weird is thematic but otherwise I agree.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Nephthys posted:

Which is kind of odd since the endings that focus on the narrative and character payoffs are all cool as hell (parts 1, 2, 3, + 7) but whenever he tries to go for a more thematic ending it sucks (5, 6 and apparently 8). Part 4 is the only one that kind of pulls off both I think, maybe because the theme is pretty simple as opposed to boring metaphors for Fate.

7 is hella thematic.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

All the endings own.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

NyaNyaMeister posted:

yeah, the whole debate about his race/ethnicity.

He’s Sicilian Italian if I recall correctly. The residents tend to have darker skin in that part of the country.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Martman posted:

While Annasui is definitely problematic, I view him as someone terrible who was still somehow redeemable through his exposure to Jolyne. What started as insane obsession, from my point of view, turned into actual honest admiration of her heroic qualities and a desire to do good like her.

Jolyne was also never attracted to him when he was a creepy murderer. It’s also likely that Annakiss is a better person then his original.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Annasui's presence in the story is redeemed by two moments: "WHERE THE gently caress IS MICKEY" and Jolyne beaning an alligator with the ring he gave her.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Martman posted:

Well anyway, I agree it's extremely unclear, so I would focus on the few things we are definitely given. Like, I don't think Irene is necessarily a completely different person from Jolyne. I think whatever has been changed in this universe has resulted in her not being named in a way that follows the JoJo rules, and that seems meaningful.

Her experience in part 6 is one where she is trapped in a story she did not choose, i.e. the conflict of her ancestors, and it has resulted in her entire life feeling like a prison. The end sees a version of her that seems to be more free to choose her own path. I found that very happy. I don't really see any evidence to conclude that people will or won't get their magic powers; lots of details could be changed about when and how Stands might arise, but it is a huge leap to say that the ending shows the powers and adventures being deleted.

this is basically exactly what i land on. the (not nearly fleshed out enough) implication in my head is that jolyne (and therefore all joestars?) got to travel and meet their friends. poo poo, almost the only things we're shown about the new universe are everyone meeting up together in almost exactly the same place in a "fate made this happen immediate" quick kind of way, jolyne no longer has to Be A Jojo in the manga protagonist way all of them had to be before, and that irene actually talks to her dad lmao.

we don't get any of that because it wouldn't and couldn't be a jojos bizarre adventure, but it just makes me imagine all the jojos having non-absentee/dead parents and poo poo. jotaro not basically working a second job for the speedwagon foundation and jolyne getting to meet uncle kakyoin and polnareff.

like yeah you have to put at least a little assembly and internal fanfic legwork in to get the best out of part 6 ending i feel, and yes i absolutely believe it could have benefitted from just a crumb more detail to really sell it while leaving things vague still, but even w that bare stuff that's in there it really does read to me as a happy ending for not just jolyne and them, but every protag we've seen suffer a grisly fate all the way back to jonathan. it rules a lot imo even if it took a bit of discussion and a reread for me to get there.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Nephthys posted:

Also count me in the camp of thinking part 6's ending is kind of bad. It doesn't matter what Araki intended, it turned out unsatisfying and hollow. I don't give a gently caress about Irene.
7’s ending is crazy thematic and you also completely left out 4 which had a great ending that was also crazy thematic
Confirmation bias, confirmation bias, confirmation bias.

Augus fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Dec 6, 2021

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

There’s nothing that suggests the Joestars didn’t go on some form of their adventures in the new universe, just that Irene (and I guess probably Qtaro) didn’t. Pucci doesn’t exist in that world but I don’t know why people are assuming DIO didn’t.
From my understanding the events from 1-5 happened but because Pucci doesn't exist the stuff from does that mean Jotaro is more or less fine and the only thing different was he wasn't a dick to his daughter and also she had a different name?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

If Pucci doesn't exist, that could potentially impact DIO in a different way and lead to a different version of Stardust Crusaders.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

When does Jolyne spoil the Sixth Sense? Was that cut out?

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

That's in jail house lock

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

wtf this mofo has four balls

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Craziest poo poo I’ve ever heard

NyaNyaMeister
Dec 4, 2021

Bruh-nyuu~

I am from this
stupid country :eurovision:

MonsterEnvy posted:

He’s Sicilian Italian if I recall correctly. The residents tend to have darker skin in that part of the country.

yet many still insist that he is black.

which goes against the plot itself, specifically the time when he contracted that private dick who ended up being a KKK member and lynched Pucci's sister for getting together with a race-mixer (because the woman that stole Weather Report at birth was in a relationship with a black man so the dick assumed that Weather Report, despite white-passing, was a mix).

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

It is conceivable that an extremely racist man could still do business with a Black man, and only be driven to commit a lynching because he believed he'd uncovered a case of miscegenation. It would be pretty weird though for the racism to go completely unmentioned or unnoticed in their initial interaction though. He even comments that Pucci is from a "nice family" and seems pretty friendly to him.

Also not really relevant, but, they lynch Weather Control, not the sister.

NyaNyaMeister
Dec 4, 2021

Bruh-nyuu~

I am from this
stupid country :eurovision:

Martman posted:

Also not really relevant, but, they lynch Weather Control, not the sister.

oops, that is true.

the girl just throws herself off a cliff into a river and drowns, thinking Weather is dead.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
sbr was good except the world diego. that was lame

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The World Diego was good if only because Erina finally got her revenge six parts later.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
The World was loving great, a neat final attack and just a very funny "battle"

Also it has one of my favorite visual gags where at one part there are arrows pointing to both Johnny and Dio. For a long time. No matter how close to the viewer they are/

Vookatos fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Dec 7, 2021

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
https://twitter.com/StickerTricker/status/1467780041534840834

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It's not dark though, that's just Regular Determination

Would be weird to reference Johnny's thing before he's even had his part anyway, none of the JoJos have that 'would actually kill a baby' thing going either

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

multijoe posted:

It's not dark though, that's just Regular Determination

Would be weird to reference Johnny's thing before he's even had his part anyway, none of the JoJos have that 'would actually kill a baby' thing going either

They definitely gave it to Jonathan in the first opening of season 1 when he's running up the stairs

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
They gave it to Yukako in part 4, when Koichi tried to use his stand on her she she just totally ignored it.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Yukako would absolutely kill a baby.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

This

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Jolyne had the flames in her eyes at that part in the manga too

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

that's just what happens when that hot cheetos craving hits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Schwarzwald posted:

koichi would admire her willingness to kill a baby and fall in love with her because of it