Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Sweet adorable gently caress knuckles they better find a way to stream this in Canada. I'm not driving 2.5 hours into the city for poo poo sound and picture quality

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

POTENTIONAL SPOILERS AT THIS LINK

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but they put up a For Your Consideration page for the movie (not at all strange), and put up the entire soundtrack to try to get it nominated. You can hear it here: https://www.wbawards.com/film/?film=thematrixresurrections&fbclid=IwAR2B5GIkNtCabDyFB4GpiHJcZWopOC7cgkNz4R55oxNKEx0iZcPL_Ra8f_M#scoreSection though the formatting is weird (you have to click through at the top). And be warned, the titles of the songs may be spoilery, as could be the order they're presented in. (Nothing jumped out as super blatant like the infamous "Qui-Gon's Noble End for The Phantom Menace, but there are a couple that are questionable.)

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Dec 6, 2021

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

MLSM posted:

Young hispster Smith and Morpheous here look so cringe.

Idk if you know what a hipster is but they aren't it.

Trailer was great. Much more exciting than the first overall but I loved the use of White Rabbit a bit more than the awesome music in this one.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
If I had to make a guess, based on the spoilery nature of that trailer, the machines are on the verge of civil war, and the machine faction sympathetic to humans created a Morpheus simulacrum and injected it into the Matrix code in order to locate Neo and Trinity and recreate the path of the original Morpheus, which was to find The One.

Looks like Neo takes the red pill again, escapes his pod, regains his memories, and, along with the AI Morpheus and Bugs, tries to help awaken/exfiltrate Trinity like she and Morpheus did for him. Meanwhile, a repurposed Smith (played by Jonathan Groff, who seems to be a higher-up at the corporation that Thomas Anderson works at; probably put there by the machines to keep a watchful eye on him) is working to stop it all at the behest of the machines that want to keep the status quo.

Spoiled that in the event that this theory ends up being right. Just wanna play it safe.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Is there a prevailing theory on why/how Neo and Trinity are alive again?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Tarnop posted:

The most common general idea I've seen put forward is that Neo(and by extension Trinity, because the love they have for each other is part of the function of The One) is still plugged into the Matrix after his battle with Agent Smith, and that there is some sort of reason why the machines need to keep him in there. Maybe as a failsafe in the event that another Agent Smith situation arises.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Tarnop posted:

My guess is that they're clones that have had their brains rewritten to think they are Neo and Trinity.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Neo looks 'repaired' in his pod, like he has all the metal stitching down his chest.

Not that they can't just break whatever 'rules' I'm making up in my head.

There's a lot of runway for theory-crafting to be had, and some obvious conclusions you can make that most certainly won't be the explanation. However the one shot I can't find a decent theory for, and maybe I'm just misremembering the shot:

They showed Neo seeing himself as an old man in the mirror, and okay maybe that is tied into something about perception and reality, however there was another shot where he had the old man reflection in the mirror but he was just running by it. Unless there's going to be something about the machine obfuscating his appearance so he can't be found.

That doesn't exactly fit the narrative I'm deducting that they made the story of Neo a movie in the Matrix and Neo/Thomas Anderson is the star of it, to gently caress with his memories of what is really and people identifying him.

I'm certainly talking about this like I'm 13 again and making absolutely no sense so I guess mission accomplish Lana.

The Dave fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Dec 6, 2021

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
Yes thank you Matrix Gods for making me wait for the intense action trailer uuuugh I want to watch it now.

Am absolutely loving Mindhunter Broadway guy as New Smith

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

hiddenriverninja posted:

My guess is that they're clones that have had their brains rewritten to think they are Neo and Trinity.

I guess if the machines have the tech to directly stimulate a human brain in such a way as to perceive a simulated reality then this would be well within their capabilities. In fact we know they can do selective memory rewrites because of Smith's conversation with Cypher (assuming he's not just stringing Cypher along entirely)

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

The Dave posted:

the narrative I'm deducting that they made the story of Neo a movie in the Matrix and Neo/Thomas Anderson is the start of it, to gently caress with his memories of what is really and people identifying him.

Sorry for the double post but I would absolutely love it if any part of this ends up being true

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Maybe it's standard operating procedure to just wipe the memories of The One and then re-implant their mind into a new person after each cycle, but for the first time Neo is able to maintain some of his memories because of his specific love for Trinity, as opposed to the more general love of humanity that the previous iterations of The One had.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

And of course the first movie already explained why someone with essentially the same brain as Neo would look like Neo in the Matrix. I'm sure they can hand wave the ageing somehow

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
If Neo and Trinity are clones and have implanted memories what would stop the machines from just going organic; ergo, the civil war is because of a big U-turn vis-à-vis the Architect's original plan: "There are levels of survival we are prepared to accept."

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I’m really having a hard time with the Morpheus cosplayer guy

It’s extremely distracting

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah, feels like they're missing a piece of the Matrix Trinity (lol)

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

FlamingLiberal posted:

Why have young hipster Morpheous and Smith and not a young Neo and Trinity? It’s bizarre.

And literally reusing scenes from the old movies — how awful and shameless? This is probably going to be Matrix version of Terminator: Genisys (one of the worst sequels ever made). The Matrix: Genisys, if you will.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

MLSM posted:

Why have young hipster Morpheous and Smith and not a young Neo and Trinity? It’s bizarre.

Morpheus didn't have a connection to The One literally coded into the Matrix the way Trinity did. He was just a regular human who became obsessed with it but Trinity was much more important to fulfilling the prophecy. In other words, if the machines need to push Neo towards doing something, the button to push is Trinity, not Morpheus, so they keep Trinity around just in case.

Real world answer is probably that they calculated that fans needed Keanu and Carrie Ann back to be interested, but Larry was deemed expendable.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

(Watchmen TV spoilers)
And you haven't even seen him at his full Dr. Manhattan!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

My theory is that the machines kept Neo alive after Revolutions and that part of their truce was that Neo would remain in the Matrix as their "The One" glitch that is inevitable, with the understanding that he won't cause any trouble. So Neo stays in the virtual world, the glitch is controlled, and they agree to not attack the humans. Now, X amount of years have passed, and Neo has somehow managed to resurrect Trinity, possibly from some old code, possibly from his old memories. Either way, the machines are resetting things/Neo to try and stop things from getting out of control. Morpheus (some version of him, I still don't get what's going on there) and friends enter the Matrix because they find out about Neo still being there and try to free him, but all he wants to do is live in whatever world will let him be with Trinity.

There's some missing parts here and there, like why does Neo appear as an old man at one point, and what the gently caress is going on with Morpheus, but I can see the basic structure matching so far, at least as a jumping off point.

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018
Anyone complaining that this film is referencing the old film too directly is gloriously oblivious to everything flying over their head.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

I think new Morpheus is just going to be a fan of the OG taking up his name because all these types of sequels need a fan character. Also very comic book-y at the same time.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

fatherboxx posted:

I think new Morpheus is just going to be a fan of the OG taking up his name because all these types of sequels need a fan character. Also very comic book-y at the same time.

An earlier trailer shows Not Quite Morpheus being reconstructed from nanomachines.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
The fact that there's a New Smith makes me feel better about New Morpheus, because they're doing A Thing with it and not just excluding old Fishburne.

(Also, Terminator: Genisys is fine)

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

MLSM posted:

And literally reusing scenes from the old movies — how awful and shameless?

i'll bite, neither of those qualities are inherent in remixing

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

MLSM posted:

Do you not know what a hipster is?

quote:

And literally reusing scenes from the old movies — how awful and shameless?

I think the whole point went way over your head.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Gonz posted:

An earlier trailer shows Not Quite Morpheus being reconstructed from nanomachines.

Are the machines literally running Neo through MatrixHerosJourney v2.0 to get him to be the old Neo again after he has a change of heart, or something?

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
It's not often you see silence used like that in a trailer but I liked it.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

LesterGroans posted:

The fact that there's a New Smith makes me feel better about New Morpheus, because they're doing A Thing with it and not just excluding old Fishburne.

(Also, Terminator: Genisys is fine)

Yes true and thus I would refer anyone complaining to the thread title.

RIP

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

John Wick is actually an alternate version of Neo, and the Bowry King is that Matrix’s version of Morpheus.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
Alright, based off trailers, I'm guessing plotpoints are:

Machine Civil War (subtext: machines not better than humans morally)
Faction A: Sati, Oracle (wants humans/machines to live as mixed/hybrid elevated species), Neo*, The Analyst
---Oracle is trying to re-do "the one" with preserved Neo
---Requires Trinity, who is dead (but lives on as reconstructed through Neo's memories, subtext about people living on in our hearts or something), this is part of Analyst's job
Faction B: Architect (machine separatists), Zion (human separatists)
---Trying to keep a polished, modern weaponized Smith on a leash, probably goes poorly
---At some point Bug's team switches from Faction B to A, maybe Zion too?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

If Neo is still the one but doesn't know it, maybe he can reshape the matrix without realising he's doing it. So he starts to remember Trinity and now she exists. He remembers events from the first film and they appear on cinema screens.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

So have either of the Wachowskis actually confirmed that OG Morpheus is canonically dead thanks to the Matrix Online or is that just a running joke

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Obviously the right trailer can make any piece of poo poo look good, but everything we've seen is so loving gonzo that I really feel like the movie's either gonna disappear right up its own rear end (which is always a risk with a Wachowski) or be transcendental. At the very least I can't see how this thing ends up mediocre, so I'm a lot more excited, one way or the other. At least they're taking a big swing.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

So have either of the Wachowskis actually confirmed that OG Morpheus is canonically dead thanks to the Matrix Online or is that just a running joke

Theory is yes, they were explicit about the Animatrix, Enter the Matrix and Matrix Online being canon. They wrote quite a bit of MO, or at least the broad framework. Only one that isn’t canon is Path of Neo because it was just a bit of silly fun really

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

CapnAndy posted:

Obviously the right trailer can make any piece of poo poo look good, but everything we've seen is so loving gonzo that I really feel like the movie's either gonna disappear right up its own rear end (which is always a risk with a Wachowski) or be transcendental. At the very least I can't see how this thing ends up mediocre, so I'm a lot more excited, one way or the other. At least they're taking a big swing.

Yeah, this is exactly my viewpoint on it. It might well be complete garbage, but if it is: it's going to be the most bizarre and glorious piece of garbage you can possibly imagine. And there's also quite a good chance that it will be amazing. Whatever happens, it will be neither mediocre nor forgettable.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

I really hope it's just total gonzo mindfuck. It's pretty hard to top the mystery of the first movie before it was released, so if this one is completely off the wall and takes me on a wild ride like the first one I'll be grinning ear to ear.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

I have watched the new trailer several times to hear MR. AAANDEEERSSOOOON and will do so again.

I genuinely do hope this film is a gonzo mindfuck that delves into the current meta/multiverse hyper normality of the internet and pop culture and makes no sense for the next ten years

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I'm rewatching Sense8 in anticipation of the new movie and I think it might be a better primer than the Matrix sequels if you want to get into the current mindset of Lana Wachowski.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Also, regarding character deaths and why they might be back: "the real world is just another level of the simulation, nobody ever woke up" was a very popular fan theory after Matrix Reloaded to explain why Neo suddenly had superpowers in the real world too, and this trailer is at least nodding very heavily in that direction with lines about experiencing deja vu in the real world and "maybe this isn't the story we thought it was".