Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Gunnaaar

Scuff picture from my ride today (not even the drive side?) but I want to prove I have one bike with a flat saddle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Salt Fish posted:

Gunnaaar

Scuff picture from my ride today (not even the drive side?) but I want to prove I have one bike with a flat saddle.

Nice! Which model is that? Dig the 3rd bottle cage.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Its their touring model, the Grand Tour, with the short lived SRAM cx1 groupset which I think got folded into force. I just changed it over to a 28T in the front so that I can take 40lbs of camping gear up a 10% grade. Top speed in the 11th cog is about 25mph if you really spin out.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Okay maybe an 8% grade.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

PolishPandaBear posted:

Are you guys including maintenance costs in this or just original purchase price?

I'm including total money put into bike

If I don't my commutor goes down to 8c/km

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009
My Roubaix road bike has been $.55 per km. It goes up to .71 if you factor in the wheelset I just bought.

My Journeyman commuter/gravel bike has been $.45 per km.

My Timberjack mountain bike ends up the worst at $1.15 per km.

I wonder how this would end up if you did $$$ per hour of use.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

BraveUlysses posted:

looking to get a replacement 11sp chain or two soon and kmc gold are now really pricey

I'm avoiding amazon of course but is wiggle a good source for chains? they have the 11sl in gold for only 50 bucks which is pretty good

Shimano now sells a 11sp with quicklinks instead of pins which is probably cheaper but I saw a lot of complaints in the reviews of it on biketiresdirect

I’ve had surprisingly good luck with PYC chains off of ebay. They come in oil slick too in addition to gold.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
My road bike is $0.08/mile, not counting maintenance and the handlebar/cranks I put on it because I don't remember how much I spent. Rough guess would put it in the low teens cents per mile.

No idea on the mileage on my other two, but I've had my winter commuter/gravel rig since new in '98 and it was an economy model on sale as last year's model then. I can't imagine it's more than $0.01/mile by this point.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

Heliosicle posted:

Didn't get picked for the Amstel Gold sportief, anyone else get lucky?

did you happen to get lucky in the second go around? i did!

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
CAAD10: 34c/mile total, 8c/mile original purchase price

Allez: 38c/mile total, 14c/mile original purchase price

All this means is that I'm just gonna spend more money on stuff for them.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Lex Neville posted:

did you happen to get lucky in the second go around? i did!

Didn't get an email so I guess not? Unless there was something extra I needed to do for that.

Race bike is 39c/km (not including maintenance) after 3 years, which isn't as low as I'd have hoped for.

Stadsfiets is probably <5c/km since it was cheap and I've ridden it a lot.

MTB and commuter are both just under 1€/km, did 1200km on the commuter since I got it in June

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
My commuter is still about $2/mile - but ask me again in 20 years!

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

Heliosicle posted:

Didn't get an email so I guess not? Unless there was something extra I needed to do for that.

Race bike is 39c/km (not including maintenance) after 3 years, which isn't as low as I'd have hoped for.

Stadsfiets is probably <5c/km since it was cheap and I've ridden it a lot.

MTB and commuter are both just under 1€/km, did 1200km on the commuter since I got it in June

no, you didn't have to do anything. people who didn't pay their entry fee in time were replaced by others. you would've received an email. sorry to hear you didn't get in! :(

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
I backed out as I'm not confident of doing 240k by then, I'm only comfortably back up to 80k or so following accident

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
oh, sorry to hear it! the FAQ said you could change the distance up until the day of fwiw. i guess that might be too late now

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Lex Neville posted:

oh, sorry to hear it! the FAQ said you could change the distance up until the day of fwiw. i guess that might be a bit late now

Oh you can but if I'm doing shorter then the money is better spent on, eg, a few days in Mallorca

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

My commuter went from about $0.05/mile to $0.0525 today because I spent $10 on a new front wheel for it at the local bike coop's winter sale.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
drat I spent more than that on a skewer and I was going for literally the cheapest thing I could find.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Albinator posted:

My commuter went from about $0.05/mile to $0.0525 today because I spent $10 on a new front wheel for it at the local bike coop's winter sale.

My local coop is closing down :(

Hopefully I'll pick up some good deals on some old parts

I heard that a mysterious rich benefactor may be assisting them so that would be nice if they didn't need to close down

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Anyone have a recommendation for a cheap watch that’ll do ANT+ and BT connections? I’d like one for cross next year so I can just leave it on vs. trying to bring a Garmin with me when I grab a pit bike, plus my friends who volunteer their bikes for pit bikes all use a variety of Garmin and Wahoos so the mounts are inconsistent.

I’d also consider a way to just stuff my Edge somewhere but I’m afraid it would bounce out of a jersey/skinsuit pocket. In these mudfest races I’m worried it would get buried and I’d never find it again. I don’t really care about seeing the data real time (except maybe elapsed time) as I’m sure my HR is pegged and I usually don’t have enough cognitive ability to actually look at the screen and utilize the data. Team bibs don’t have an internal pocket between the shoulders, unfortunately.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for a cheap watch that’ll do ANT+ and BT connections? I’d like one for cross next year so I can just leave it on vs. trying to bring a Garmin with me when I grab a pit bike, plus my friends who volunteer their bikes for pit bikes all use a variety of Garmin and Wahoos so the mounts are inconsistent.

I was going to suggest the Forerunner 235 which I've owned since 2016 , but when I looked up the price the drat thing is still over 200 bux. The GPS/Heart/ANT+ works a treat, but I don't know if you can pair BT sensors with it.

madey
Sep 17, 2007

I saved the Olympics singlehandedly
I bought a cheap turbo trainer without realising they are not compatible with thru axle bikes out of the box and I am unclear on what doodad I need to buy so they are compatible.

I have a photo of the specs on my current thru axle but googling has not given me a definitive answer. What do I need to get?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
A Robert axle project trainer axle.

https://robertaxleproject.com/wind-trainer/

jamal fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Dec 6, 2021

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Newish bike day :toot:

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

e.pilot posted:

Newish bike day :toot:

That is one sexy beast

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
what's the verdict on dedicated winter shoes vs shoe covers? what's my best option for keeping my toes dry? i'm more likely to be out in wet weather than incredibly cold weather.

i have some toe covers but they're basically useless in the rain and only marginally useful in the cold.

shoe covers look effective to some degree and its nice you can wash them off easier than a shoe but they also look incredibly dumb, even for me, someone who is getting soaked while wearing bib tights.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

BraveUlysses posted:

what's the verdict on dedicated winter shoes vs shoe covers? what's my best option for keeping my toes dry? i'm more likely to be out in wet weather than incredibly cold weather.

i have some toe covers but they're basically useless in the rain and only marginally useful in the cold.

shoe covers look effective to some degree and its nice you can wash them off easier than a shoe but they also look incredibly dumb, even for me, someone who is getting soaked while wearing bib tights.

I have neoprene shoe covers, and i've found they're not useful enough below about 5°C to stop my toes from going numb. Others swear by them though.

colonel tom
Mar 1, 2012

:hmmrona:

BraveUlysses posted:

I gave up on shoe covers and bought some actual winter shoes and I wish I hadn't waited so long. They're warmer, drier, and way more convenient. No regrets.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

colonel tom posted:

I gave up on shoe covers and bought some actual winter shoes and I wish I hadn't waited so long. They're warmer, drier, and way more convenient. No regrets.

Big agreement to this.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I have the shimano mw7 goretex boots and they're pretty great. Warmer than my old 45nrth fasterkatts.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx
Fourth. Buy the shoes.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

If you’re on a budget use a bit of plastic bag or aluminum foil between your sock/shoe or shoe/cover in the forefoot area. Blocks wind, keeps your toes warm, and still breathes. I keep latex gloves/a bit of foil for this for emergencies

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

BraveUlysses posted:

For Seattle-area riding, make sure you're getting actual waterproof and seam-sealed shoes, not just "winter shoes". Most winter shoes are actually too warm, and not fully seam sealed/waterproofed. I've got the Lake winter boots, and they're great when it's actually below freezing, but I still get frozen if it's wet and 35.
A friend swears by the fizik ones.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
thanks thread, terra clima x2 look like a good option

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

BraveUlysses posted:

If it's cold enough to need dedicated winter shoes I'm riding the trainer.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

BraveUlysses posted:

thanks thread, terra clima x2 look like a good option

fwiw I think they have the road version of the Artica - I'm not sure if the "breathable upper" on the terra clima is going to be all that waterproof.
Maybe consider https://www.fizik.com/us_en/terra-artica-x2.html ?

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

e.pilot posted:

don't you just take your bike to a different hemisphere for the day? :)

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

:argh:
I was home all day!

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

spf3million posted:

:argh:
I was home all day!

I bought a $14 pot lid the other day and the shipper not only sent it same day FedEx (????) but sent it signature required. I had to actually sign the paper saying it was ok to leave it for the next day.

Meanwhile when I bought my Canyon last year they just dumped it on the porch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

e.pilot posted:

That's how I feel when it's above 30C