Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

orphean posted:

I am weirdly looking forward to the release of Fury: Imperial Guard Edition Steel Tread tomorrow. Andy Clark is pretty hit or miss - Celestine was pretty good, but he also wrote Gate of Bones. Even with that said, something about some low-stakes normal people in a tank action just sounds like it's going to hit the spot. Cautiously optimistic.

Gate of Bones picked up as it went along, so the second half of the book is much more interesting than the first.

And speaking of finishing strong, the second Urdesh book finishes with a one on one fight that has to be read to be believed, just two fighters, with drat near every move and counter in great detail. The Marines are all hypercompetent transhumans throughout, it's like the Astartes video in text form, but the climactic fight is truly epic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

a lovely king posted:

It probably was Abnett not being entirely au fait with how marines worked at the time, as BoTS was his first foray into them.

That said, I don't have a hard time believing Marines can control their implants at will to an extent, like how they're not constantly dissolving themselves with the acid spit.

A lot of chapters have slightly hosed up Geneseed which means 1 or more of their implants either is inactive or does not work exactly as advertised. It would be entirely within canon to say space wolf and Iron snakes have messed up multi-lungs which do not allow them to breath underwater.

Similarly a lot of chapters have defective Betcher Glands which means they can't do the whole posion and acid spit stuff.

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?
I think the Primaris have all the relevant implants, since they're taken from a fresher gene-seed source.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

boredsatellite posted:

Nah even the main marine dude knew it was a risk when he had to do it

wasn't it a stupidly deep trench though

Yeah I just assumed it was reeeeaaaally deep since the multi-lung is described as allowing "limited" underwater breathing IIRC

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

mllaneza posted:

And speaking of finishing strong, the second Urdesh book finishes with a one on one fight that has to be read to be believed, just two fighters, with drat near every move and counter in great detail. The Marines are all hypercompetent transhumans throughout, it's like the Astartes video in text form, but the climactic fight is truly epic.

I am about halfway through and so far it is nothing but fighting. Typically that's a slog for me to read but this author can really write combat (of all types!) really drat well.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional

von Metternich posted:

Almost finished with Wolftime. Man, Gav makes them all sound like paranoid and/or petulant children. Even the cool ones like Logan and Bjorn. Guilliman is trying to give you all this poo poo, for free, and all he's asking is that you keep fighting orks and chaos and poo poo, which you were doing anyways.

Also, a scene where a primaris fights some kind of Fenris squid or something underwater, which is extremely tense...because the author forgot that Space Marines can breathe underwater.

I said it before but the hyper angsty Holden Caulfield-esque portrayal of Logan Grimnar is for my money the worst version of Grimnar ever put on page. Like compare Grimnar in Wolftime to him in something like The Emperor's Gift. It's like two entirely different people. Guilliman went out of his way to appease these giant man children. He even kneeled! My big blue bro trying to get through the tsun to get to that wolf dere and just failing.

(And yes don't get me started on Bjorn in Wolftime either) :words:

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

I've been reading The Wicked and the Divine, a collection of Warhammer Horror short stories. The first short story is by Josh Reynolds and it's about a Commissar who is extremely liberal with his use of punishment to correct behavior in troops and the first thing that came to mind was Jasper substitute teaching on The Simpsons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKiLfH3DVGc

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Telsa Cola posted:

A lot of chapters have slightly hosed up Geneseed which means 1 or more of their implants either is inactive or does not work exactly as advertised. It would be entirely within canon to say space wolf and Iron snakes have messed up multi-lungs which do not allow them to breath underwater.

Similarly a lot of chapters have defective Betcher Glands which means they can't do the whole posion and acid spit stuff.

There is no way Space Wolves would be allowed to have an actual weakness. The closest they've ever had to not being the Most Special Space Marines was when they didn't like flying, and then they were given super special fliers with frost rays.

Turning into super badass awesome werewolves doesn't count as a weakness.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

IshmaelZarkov posted:

Turning into super badass awesome Chaos Spawnwerewolves doesn't count as a weakness. Blood for the Blood God!

FTFY

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

orphean posted:

I said it before but the hyper angsty Holden Caulfield-esque portrayal of Logan Grimnar is for my money the worst version of Grimnar ever put on page. Like compare Grimnar in Wolftime to him in something like The Emperor's Gift. It's like two entirely different people. Guilliman went out of his way to appease these giant man children. He even kneeled! My big blue bro trying to get through the tsun to get to that wolf dere and just failing.

(And yes don't get me started on Bjorn in Wolftime either) :words:

What, you don't kneel down to give your dog a scratch behind the ears, or tummy rubs?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

D-Pad posted:

I am about halfway through and so far it is nothing but fighting. Typically that's a slog for me to read but this author can really write combat (of all types!) really drat well.

Good news ! The mystery of what's going on on the other side of the causeway is built up and balances out that sicknasty fight for the last quarter or so of the book.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I haven't read the Urdesh sequel yet, but judging by the quality of the fightan' wordin' of the first book, if the second is mostly that I am all in.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Jolo posted:

I've been reading The Wicked and the Divine, a collection of Warhammer Horror short stories.

Wicked and the Damned, Wicked and the Divine is Kieron Gillen's comics about pop stardom as gods/superheroes or perhaps vice-versa

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Wicked and the Damned, Wicked and the Divine is Kieron Gillen's comics about pop stardom as gods/superheroes or perhaps vice-versa

You're right. The Wicked and the Divine and The Infinite and the Divine are both on my shelf and The Wicked and the Damned is an audiobook on my phone and those three titles are so close to one another.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Telsa Cola posted:

Abnett actually mentions loving up a bit on the book in the foreword to one of the omnibus editions of the Ghosts books.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Im about 70% of the way through the Magister and the Saint and it is bonkers good. Matthew Ferrer can loving write.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Seems there are a lot of books titled "The X and the Y".

TheStampede
Feb 20, 2008

"I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that."
The OP looked pretty outdated, so is there a current list of recommendations? The last thing I read was The Unremembered Empire, so I'm a few years out of the loop. I put the twos necron books mentioned recently on my wish list, along with the siege of terra series. Anything else?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Seems there are a lot of books titled "The X and the Y".

The Title and the Subtitle

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
So Steel Tread. Exactly what I hoped it would be - very much Fury in a Demolisher in tone. I felt like a plot thread or two wasn't really followed up on but very solid overall. A little tropey when it comes to characterization and plot setup e.g. new commander having to prove themselves to a ragtag group of broken misfits is pretty standard stuff. But if you like Guard, Tanks, Guard in Tanks, and Anti-Titan precision Deathstrike missiles being dropped on a single squad of chaos marines totally check it out. A fun ride.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Deptfordx posted:

I haven't read the Urdesh sequel yet, but judging by the quality of the fightan' wordin' of the first book, if the second is mostly that I am all in.

I'd put the two Urdesh books at the top of the last year or two of BL books, probably the best since Saturnine. The second one has one of the best fights in all of 40k literature. The first one shows off the unbelievable power the Saint can channel. The Anarch's trap in the second is fantastically creepy, weird, and amazing. There's so much good stuff going on throughout. I think a personal favorite was the Iron Snakes squad that flies land speeders; those are some truly great action sequences.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
I loved the little surprise(at least for me) in the Urdesh books where we get to see more of Legio Invicta and Gearheart from Titanicus It warmed my cold dead nerd heart just a bit.

orphean fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Dec 6, 2021

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

A few weeks back I sold a copy of The Infinite and The Divine to Philthy and mentioned I was selling what LEs I still have left as well as my hardbacks, background/lore/art, RPG books, etc. A few people expressed interest at the time in seeing the list and I believe I just PM'ed everybody who asked. If anybody else is interested let me know.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020

orphean posted:

So Steel Tread. Exactly what I hoped it would be - very much Fury in a Demolisher in tone. I felt like a plot thread or two wasn't really followed up on but very solid overall. A little tropey when it comes to characterization and plot setup e.g. new commander having to prove themselves to a ragtag group of broken misfits is pretty standard stuff. But if you like Guard, Tanks, Guard in Tanks, and Anti-Titan precision Deathstrike missiles being dropped on a single squad of chaos marines totally check it out. A fun ride.

Guy Haley's superheavy tank books were what got me into reading the Black Library so I'll definitely be eager to check this one out.

Liveware
Feb 5, 2014

mllaneza posted:

I'd put the two Urdesh books at the top of the last year or two of BL books, probably the best since Saturnine. The second one has one of the best fights in all of 40k literature. The first one shows off the unbelievable power the Saint can channel. The Anarch's trap in the second is fantastically creepy, weird, and amazing. There's so much good stuff going on throughout. I think a personal favorite was the Iron Snakes squad that flies land speeders; those are some truly great action sequences.

Thanks for the recommend. I'm glad Abnett's willingness to let other authors play in his sandbox is working out favorably.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
They really are fantastic. Matthew Farrer's way of representing huge battles with "quick cuts" between different viewpoints really keeps the momentum up while keeping the whole picture clear. The start of the second book describing the effects of the Saint on everybody is among the best Black Library has to offer.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
On an unrelated note, I finished Betrayer earlier and can finally see where the "gently caress Erebus" crowd is coming from.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Reading this thread due to checking the forums for Warhammer+ discussion got me back into reading, so I loaded up the kindle with all the books I've missed for the past 5 years. Just finished The Magos and am going to re-read Pariah before I get to Penitent due to not remembering what happened and no good summaries available. Magos was great, though more due to the character interactions than anything crazy happening in the book itself. Was just a nice, almost serene(?) horrific jaunt into darkside for Eisenhorn.

One thing it also got me back into was creating custom screensavers for my kindle - a lot of 40k art makes great screensavers. I have a no-ads kindle paperwhite and rooted it+installed the screensaver software 10+ years ago. Here are some of the images I have on there if anyone else is interested I'll package them up:

I have more than just 40k stuff as screensavers (manga makes great screensavers!) but I love seeing that 40k art pop up.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Whoa how do you make custom screensavers like that, I'm tired of seeing nothing but romance novel ads

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

Whoa how do you make custom screensavers like that, I'm tired of seeing nothing but romance novel ads

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195474

The instructions \ files should be here but I haven't rooted a Kindle in like 7 years so buyer beware

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9jv8k908htyjw44/screensavers.zip?dl=0

Here are all the ones I've made.

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Dec 8, 2021

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
Can I read these fancy Urdesh books if I haven't read any of Abnett's GG stuff, or will I be lost?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

drgnvale posted:

Can I read these fancy Urdesh books if I haven't read any of Abnett's GG stuff, or will I be lost?

Nope.

The slightly longer short answer: it's late in the Sabbat Crusade, the Living Saint is active on the frontlines, Urdesh is a major warzone that has been under siege for 10 years, and it's right at the head of a massive push against the Sons of Sek and Blood Pact armies. Big battles ensue.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

AndyElusive posted:

I can't wait to get around to Mortis just to see what everyone is saying is so bad about it.

Mortis owns but you should 100% read Titandeath first.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

Nope.

The slightly longer short answer: it's late in the Sabbat Crusade, the Living Saint is active on the frontlines, Urdesh is a major warzone that has been under siege for 10 years, and it's right at the head of a massive push against the Sons of Sek and Blood Pact armies. Big battles ensue.

For a full background I'd read:

Iron Snakes to introduce some of the Astartes characters.

The Saint arc from Gaunt's Ghosts, which comprises Honour Guard, The Guns of Tanith, Straight Silver, and Sabbat Martyr. This sets up the Saint and Milo.

After the two Urdesh books, finish everything off with Salvation's Reach, The Warmaster and Anarch, the last three Ghosts books.

That is five books of introduction to these two, but they're five excellent books.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

D-Pad posted:

A few weeks back I sold a copy of The Infinite and The Divine to Philthy and mentioned I was selling what LEs I still have left as well as my hardbacks, background/lore/art, RPG books, etc. A few people expressed interest at the time in seeing the list and I believe I just PM'ed everybody who asked. If anybody else is interested let me know.

Thanks for this, BTW. The book came a few days after you shipped and it's in perfect condition.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe
Just finished the 2nd Urdesh book and Matthew Farrer might just be my new favourite BL author. He really does action very well - it has this kinetic feeling and really emphasizes how the marines are total weapons.

A lot of 40k fiction suffers from repetitive "and I chainsworded this heretic" statements which I feel is why people hate the Titan sequences in Morris since they're endless repeats of "I shoot gun". In Urdesh the author has actually had a think about his tech, what's possible with it and what would happen in "real combat". It's like the difference between watching a MCU fight vs a MMA match. There's a sequence when one of the marines has his helmet suffer crippling damage and blind him and he's struggling to get rid of it before he gets minced by his opponent and another when the big bad suddenly experiences drug withdrawal in the middle of the battle when his Nails are broken.

Someone earlier who said its like Astartes in written form is absolutely correct and its excellent.

My only criticism is that the marines are maybe a tad jokey and Joss Whedonish. They're not written badly by any means but personality-wise they come across more as sci-fi soldiers rather than space monks.

glasnost toyboy
May 29, 2009

Z the IVth posted:

Just finished the 2nd Urdesh book and Matthew Farrer might just be my new favourite BL author. He really does action very well - it has this kinetic feeling and really emphasizes how the marines are total weapons.

A lot of 40k fiction suffers from repetitive "and I chainsworded this heretic" statements which I feel is why people hate the Titan sequences in Morris since they're endless repeats of "I shoot gun". In Urdesh the author has actually had a think about his tech, what's possible with it and what would happen in "real combat". It's like the difference between watching a MCU fight vs a MMA match. There's a sequence when one of the marines has his helmet suffer crippling damage and blind him and he's struggling to get rid of it before he gets minced by his opponent and another when the big bad suddenly experiences drug withdrawal in the middle of the battle when his Nails are broken.

Someone earlier who said its like Astartes in written form is absolutely correct and its excellent.

My only criticism is that the marines are maybe a tad jokey and Joss Whedonish. They're not written badly by any means but personality-wise they come across more as sci-fi soldiers rather than space monks.

Farrer's stuff has always been some of the best BL has to offer, his two Headstone Kings shorts are excellent. The Calpurnia books are also really good if you can handle his dense early writing style, which he seems to have softened massively for the Urdesh books.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Any good second hand bookshops in London for old warhams stuff? I'd love to read Iron Snakes myself.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Yeah if everybody wrote bolter porn like Farrer I would have much less problems with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

D-Pad posted:

Yeah if everybody wrote bolter porn like Farrer I would have much less problems with it.

Its less bolter porn and more fist-elbow-helmet-knee-landspeeder wing porn. :v: