Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

you’ve understood the joke perfectly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Johnny Joestar posted:

of course, the answer to 'does being bonded to a straight woman who likes men make you like men even if you weren't into them before' is no, because this isn't dragonriders of pern

after Stepin and Lan jokingly speculated about this topic near the end of ep 5, it did occur to me that someone could misread the episode and conclude that Stepin's fate was partially driven by apprehension about joining the throuple

fortunately the show-only fans i watch with did not do this, and instead fixated on a parallel between stepin and owyn

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

CainFortea posted:

I think the LTT prologue is going to be the cold open for episode 8. "Here's how the old dragon checked out, and here's your new dragon". Since they seem to like to bookend things.

It's either this or the last scene of this season, or the last scene of episode one of the next season. It will for sure be one of those three if I was betting.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

TheBeardedCrazy posted:

I remember it starting in book 3, he kills a merchant and her guards on the way to Tear because he thinks they might be darkfriends, then uses the power to pose their bodies bowing to him. It's implied he's right because there's an extra body he didn't notice before that's probably a gray man.

I think it starts a little earlier than that it's just not as pronounced. How much is him realizing he's destined to die and break the world and how much is madness is kind of up in the air, as all the stories of men going mad starts out with them being mostly fine until they just aren't.

And he definitely killed some darkfriends there, the hosed up part was just that he did so without any evidence and not in self defense.

We also have Nynaeve trying to heal his madness and finding weird white energy protecting his mind from the black spikes she sees as the madness in his brain really late in the series. I always thought the pattern was keeping him sane enough to be able to do the things it needed without worrying about how odd he was acting, so the severit

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I always felt that the white light she saw was LTT. Like direct actual communication. And she never saw it in anyone else because no other man had a true connection like that.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

rand's brain, specifically, had plot armor

the light all like 'hold up dude you gotta nuke the world or save it first before your mind melts'

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I always thought it was the Creator much like the weird scene where it speaks to Rand earlier in the series.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

seaborgium posted:

I think it starts a little earlier than that it's just not as pronounced. How much is him realizing he's destined to die and break the world and how much is madness is kind of up in the air, as all the stories of men going mad starts out with them being mostly fine until they just aren't.

And he definitely killed some darkfriends there, the hosed up part was just that he did so without any evidence and not in self defense.

We also have Nynaeve trying to heal his madness and finding weird white energy protecting his mind from the black spikes she sees as the madness in his brain really late in the series. I always thought the pattern was keeping him sane enough to be able to do the things it needed without worrying about how odd he was acting, so the severit

I always thought that light there was only because of his Dragonmount revelation after deciding not to end reality.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Regarding the descent into madness, I've been watching for this in my reread and after winning the Battle for Cairhien and all the lords swear fealty theres this:

This is the first time he straight out acknowledges LTT is in his head. Up until this point he has vague notions and odd thoughts that he doesn't think are his own and spouts thousands of year old facts he shouldn't know and stuff. This is halfway through FOH and he still hasn't "talked" to LTT or had the voice talk to him yet.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Gwaihir posted:

I always thought that light there was only because of his Dragonmount revelation after deciding not to end reality.

At one point Semirhage mentions that male channelers hearing voices from their past life "rarely" achieve "reintegration", even if Graendal was interested in trying to fix them. That at least implies that what happens to Rand on Dragonmount isn't unprecedented.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I think it makes sense that Rand would be insane beyond the level of (largely justified) paranoia we saw from him in the books without some kind of protection given the sheer amount of saiden he channeled over the course of the series, especially between wielding Callandor and the Choeden Kal access key, and deliberately holding onto saiden as much as possible after crossing streams with Moridin. I don't remember, did Logain really exhibit much madness in the books? Taim didn't, despite channeling a long time before he became a darkfriend, but that's what happens when you retcon your own series midway through.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

RC Cola posted:

I keep just randomly giggling. I'm so happy this show exists. It's so good. Maybe I'm mad already.

Must watch this show! Must watch it! Watch it watch it watch it watch it

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

We only really hear about Logain's madness once he gets PoV's, where he gets panic attacks whenever he releases the source because he's afraid once he lets it go he'll never be able to channel again. Like a lot of Rand's early mental health issues, though, it's unclear if that's because of the taint or just plain old PTSD from what he's been through.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Which reminds me of Min talking down a guy who wanted to tear down a castle to build a Fort to protect her. Min rules. I mean, she must have been loving terrified, but no fucks given.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Min's easily one of my favorite characters in the series. It seems like some version of the polycule is probably going to be in, but if they chose to just have Min be the love interest I'd be totally fine with that. She's the only one he spends much time with on that level anyway, and I wouldn't miss Elayne's weirdly adversarial relationship with him in particular.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Synastren posted:

Must watch this show! Must watch it! Watch it watch it watch it watch it

I hope LTT’s voice is, as I always picture it, basically Beavis

Break it! M heh heh. Break it break it break it

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

CainsDescendant posted:

We only really hear about Logain's madness once he gets PoV's, where he gets panic attacks whenever he releases the source because he's afraid once he lets it go he'll never be able to channel again. Like a lot of Rand's early mental health issues, though, it's unclear if that's because of the taint or just plain old PTSD from what he's been through.

They generally treat the men going mad as something that takes a while to really get bad, even for men who channel a lot. The Ashaman lose some, but they channel for a long time before it gets so bad they have to be dealt with. Even their madness isn't always dangerous, like the guy who thinks there's a Fade in every shadow,. You can live with a lot of crazy for a long time before it gets dangerous. The books were big on only LTT and the Hundred Companions went mad immediately, the rest took quite a while which either made the Breaking worse or made it possible to survive depending on what you think.

Logain wasn't channeling constantly, and presumably neither was Taim so it would take quite a while before it gets too bad.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Yeah in the books it's all sorts. There's one guy who wakes up one day screaming about spiders being all over him but equally you have something like Androl's madness where he's just deathly afraid of the dark.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

presumably we'll see a few flavors of it in the show over time, given that the first scene is of a guy legit just making up someone entirely who he perceived as being the one who was actually able to channel. which is, in itself, separate entirely from rand's whole deal and also not even what was going on with logain, whose madness was him thinking he was the dragon and all the nebulous shadow voices were previous dragons guiding him along when, again, rand is wholly separate in that in how much he's connected to just lews therin, an actual dude who was the dragon before him, treating his head like free real estate and saying whatever the hell whenever he wasn't outright gibbering.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Lewis Theron's voice being in Rands head is such a huge part of the books I kind of wonder how they're going to do it on the show.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Hollismason posted:

Lewis Theron's voice being in Rands head is such a huge part of the books I kind of wonder how they're going to do it on the show.

They cast someone for LTT. So i'm assuming first it will be audible voices, and then maybe having him walk around in the scene and no one else reacts to him.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

Maybe similar to how they did Logain’s: CGI ghost literally whispering in his ear.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

CainFortea posted:

They cast someone for LTT. So i'm assuming first it will be audible voices, and then maybe having him walk around in the scene and no one else reacts to him.

yeah the LTT in the extras on the breaking is literally a drawing of alexander karim

they gotta gaius baltar him

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

withak posted:

Maybe similar to how they did Logain’s: CGI ghost literally whispering in his ear.

CG's needless expense when you can just do the BSG style imaginary friend.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah i'm absolutely betting on them just doing 'guy nobody else reacts to' since it would be the easiest, best way to get an actual performance at times and cost less money than cgi poo poo on top of that, as well

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Presenting the scenes where Rand and LTT fight over control is still going to be a mess, but I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with it.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

I think people will be fine with the Rand reveal once it's clear he's getting the poo poo end of the stick. Everyone else gets their Really Cool Thing without the weight of knowing they're going to go insane and rot alive if they don't literally end the world first.

Nion
Jun 8, 2008

The animated X-Ray shorts are great (if rather annoying to find), but they don't seem to have informed whoever is making them of all the changes in the tv series. For example, they mention shawls as being the thing that mark someone as a full Aes Sedai, but in the show they don't seem to use shawls at all. If they are going to make those kinds of changes, they should really make extra sure that they do so consistently. See also, Whitecloaks not wearing cloaks, white or otherwise.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I just rewatched the ep and one thing I really dug is that Rand's reaction to being called an Aiel seems innocent enough but for those in the know he's clearly uncomfortable and looking for the first way out to change the subject

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Nion posted:

The animated X-Ray shorts are great (if rather annoying to find), but they don't seem to have informed whoever is making them of all the changes in the tv series. For example, they mention shawls as being the thing that mark someone as a full Aes Sedai, but in the show they don't seem to use shawls at all. If they are going to make those kinds of changes, they should really make extra sure that they do so consistently. See also, Whitecloaks not wearing cloaks, white or otherwise.

We have yet to encounter an Aes Sedai in a situation where she would be wearing a shawl in the first place. It wasn't until well after the deposing that it beca,e common for Aes Sedai to habitually walk around in the things, and we have nothing other than a tiny scrap of trailer in a formal setting.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

seaborgium posted:

The number of people here who aren't thinking that the hosed up mad part is when he posed the bodies like dolls in positions of supplication is deeply disturbing. Like, you're all rushing to say "but he only thought they were Darkfriends, so he's kinda paranoid isn't he?" when he's literally acting like a serial killer.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Rand is completely batshit in TDR, Jordan pretty clearly decides to dial down the crazy when he realises he's got a lot more books in him

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Jedit posted:

The number of people here who aren't thinking that the hosed up mad part is when he posed the bodies like dolls in positions of supplication is deeply disturbing. Like, you're all rushing to say "but he only thought they were Darkfriends, so he's kinda paranoid isn't he?" when he's literally acting like a serial killer.

That's ridiculous, he can easily kill more than one person at a time.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Sinteres posted:

Presenting the scenes where Rand and LTT fight over control is still going to be a mess, but I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with it.

I'm going to assume that it's going to be like that painting of Jesus and the drug addict, except that they're fighting over use of their arms to channel.

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi

withak posted:

seems the most likely outcome

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

His Divine Shadow posted:

That's ridiculous, he can easily kill more than one person at a time.

Yeah they never talk about parallel killers anymore

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

Eighties ZomCom posted:

I'm going to assume that it's going to be like that painting of Jesus and the drug addict, except that they're fighting over use of their arms to channel.

There’s plenty of cinematic tricks they could do to show a fight for control, with enough creativity. Look at what Scanners did. Could always have something creepy like just inexplicably swap out Josha (Rand’s actor) for the LTT actor but everyone else acts like nothing happened. Pretty sure they do that in Legion but it’s been around awhile and always lets the audience get a creepy ‘don’t they see it???’ knowledge.

Goreld fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Dec 7, 2021

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

the matrix did a lot of cool things with mindfucks and dual personality too

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Last night the Romanian WoT facebook page played a clip with some never before seen images.

Somebody screencapped it and DM'd it to me and there isn't much that's new however I did see 3 interesting new shots. The quality is dogshit but the first one is Rand in the Blight, second is somebody standing over an empty cradle, Tam maybe? And the third is Moiraine in the ways. If I could download a video from twitter DM I would post it but you need sketchy third party extensions for that :ohdear:

Hexel fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Dec 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Can you spoiler this stuff? I don't really mind, but I know others do