Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

You can always buy old copies of books off thriftbooks or abebooks for dirt cheap. Pretty sure Amazon has a collected edition of Jedi Academy re-releases under the Legends label.

I still own my paperbacks. I mostly consume SW stuff as audiobooks these days. But the old one from the 90s were severely abridged to fit on 2 or 3 audio cassettes. I want a rerelease so they’ll put out unabridged recordings.

Edit: As an example. The abridged version of Heir to the Empire put out in the 90s ran 180 minutes for a 368 page book. The latest unabridged audiobook put out for the 20th anniversary ran 780 minutes. The Thrawn Trilogy was a bit of a rare exception in that it did get an unabridged recording in the 90s, although it was rare and only really available through a Books on Tape rental service, or :files: where I later got ahold of it. Though no niceties with that one. Anthony Daniels and Denis Lawson read the abridged ones, plus sound effects and licensed music.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Dec 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

As far as old books are concerned, I found first run editions of both Dark Force Rising and The Last Command in hardcover at a used book store last week. I know Heir to the Empire is the really hard one to find in first run, but I'm still pretty drat happy with it.

I also found a first run copy of the 20th Anniversary Edition of Heir to the Empire in hardcover, the one with the annotations, that I never got before, so that's cool. Reading it now.

Angry_Ed posted:

I haven't seen anything saying it was cancelled either but maybe my Google-fu is weak

It's highly rumored to be cancelled, but no official statement has been released, so take that for what you will.

WW84 was, like, really bad.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Dec 2, 2021

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

thrawn527 posted:

I also found a first run copy of the 20th Anniversary Edition of Heir to the Empire in hardcover, the one with the annotations, that I never got before, so that's cool. Reading it now.

The annotations are very cool and really insightful for a bunch of things and it makes me sad we never got them for the rest of the trilogy.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

fartknocker posted:

The annotations are very cool and really insightful for a bunch of things and it makes me sad we never got them for the rest of the trilogy.

Yeah, very cool stuff, but every time Zahn says, "But more on that later," and I feel like he probably means the next book, I get sad.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

thrawn527 posted:

The only downside of Disney Old Yeller-ing the EU was that we never got the rest of the annotated Thrawn Trilogy

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I have hardcovers of The Thrawn Trilogy plus the 20th anniversary edition. The former I picked up secondhand a long time ago. My white whale is the Dark Horse Jedi Knight book. I have the first two books, but I kept putting off getting that one because it was like $50-60 several years ago. Well, now it’s well over $100 on Amazon and AbeBooks. I have my doubts I’m going to find it anywhere local.

Edit: I wonder if Zahn could be persuaded to put the rest of the annotations online. Unless he’d been contracted to write them and it’s a rights issue now.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Casimir Radon posted:

I have hardcovers of The Thrawn Trilogy plus the 20th anniversary edition. The former I picked up secondhand a long time ago. My white whale is the Dark Horse Jedi Knight book. I have the first two books, but I kept putting off getting that one because it was like $50-60 several years ago. Well, now it’s well over $100 on Amazon and AbeBooks. I have my doubts I’m going to find it anywhere local.

Edit: I wonder if Zahn could be persuaded to put the rest of the annotations online. Unless he’d been contracted to write them and it’s a rights issue now.

Did he actually write them already? I just imagined he would write them once he was paid to do so. Did they get that fair with the annotations for the next 2 books?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

thrawn527 posted:

Did he actually write them already? I just imagined he would write them once he was paid to do so. Did they get that fair with the annotations for the next 2 books?
I don’t know. That’s the only reason I can think of for him not just releasing them if asked nicely.

The other two books never actually got mentioned as being in the pipeline from what I remember.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

From what I recall at the time, someone explicitly said that the HTTE 20th Anniversary didn't sell enough to do the other two. I don't remember if that was Zahn or someone from Del Rey, but that's what I remember from the time. So Disney buyout or not, we wouldn't have gotten them either way.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Right. It was 2 years before the buyout happened. The 20th anniversary of DFR and TLC would have been 2012 and 2013 respectively. I’d forgotten the Disney buyout went through in Oct 2012. I thought it happened a year later.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Not only that, but Disney didn't reset the EU until mid 2014, so even the Disney buyout wouldn't have necessarily changed anything.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Oh, it happened a lot longer ago than I realised. Guess I'm confronting the rapid passing of time and my own mortality this morning.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Crucible got released in Summer ‘13, and was really the last hurrah of the EU. Honestly not bad for a Denning novel. From what I remember the stuff that got released in late ‘13 to mid ‘14 were the three novels based on the main three, set between ANH and ESB. They were all pretty meh, and nothing notable enough happens in them. But they are considered Legends.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

The Out of Print edition covers for the mainline THR novels have been sublime and drat, The Fallen Star's is no exception

https://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-the-high-republic-books-exclusive-editions

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I need to get back to reading The Rising Storm. I put it down months ago because the big attacks scene shown from multiple angles kind of wore me down. I’m not a big fan that kind of storytelling in general. It drags on forever and wears me out.

In other news The Force Enginesource port for Dark Forces is now in a state that the game is technically completable. Same guy who was doing XLEngine back in the day, but he seems to be actually focused on getting a game working this time instead of continually branching off and refusing to open source his code. IMuse currently isn’t working, plus some other sound stuff. No cutscenes, mission briefings, or the PDA. But it’s still further along then the project got last time, and he’s committed to open sourcing his code after a few more milestones.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Casimir Radon posted:

I need to get back to reading The Rising Storm. I put it down months ago because the big attacks scene shown from multiple angles kind of wore me down. I’m not a big fan that kind of storytelling in general. It drags on forever and wears me out.
At a point I started imagining that bit as your typical 3rd act battle from a Star Wars film ala ROTJ or Rogue One, cutting between different perspectives as the action builds to a climax. (Never mind the fact that the Republic Fair attack takes up multiple acts, but that’s how I visualized the whole thing in any case)

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Cross-Section posted:

The Out of Print edition covers for the mainline THR novels have been sublime and drat, The Fallen Star's is no exception

God drat, those covers are way better. Why aren't they using those?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

One of those makes it look like Starlight Beacon gets destroyed. Which in my opinion is dumb. Fading into obscurity and becoming a slaver or smuggler den would be a much better plot.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Chairman Capone posted:

It's delayed the same way that Rian Johnson's trilogy of Star Wars movies announced in 2017 are delayed.

Or to put it another way, it's the movie that Patty Jenkins will work on after finishing her Cleopatra remake.

Johnson's trilogy never had a release window locked down. Those haven't been "delayed", they're just still off in the future

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Casimir Radon posted:

One of those makes it look like Starlight Beacon gets destroyed. Which in my opinion is dumb. Fading into obscurity and becoming a slaver or smuggler den would be a much better plot.

I feel like we've barely gotten to know Starlight as a locale too--it gets mentioned a lot, it's established as this wonderful place/thing, but precious little time is actually spent there. It doesn't get to feel iconic and important to the setting, it's just a huge Macguffin.

I've really been enjoying High Republic as an era and a publishing line; but this is one area that I feel like hasn't been handled super well

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

jivjov posted:

Johnson's trilogy never had a release window locked down. Those haven't been "delayed", they're just still off in the future

They are delayed, in that Johnson originally said they were what he was going to work on after Knives Out, and now (like Benioff and Weiss) Netflix was able to offer him more money to do other things instead, which are probably of more interest to him anyways than more Star Wars.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I would love to see his Star Wars trilogy but I suspect we won’t get it. :(

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

jivjov posted:

I feel like we've barely gotten to know Starlight as a locale too--it gets mentioned a lot, it's established as this wonderful place/thing, but precious little time is actually spent there. It doesn't get to feel iconic and important to the setting, it's just a huge Macguffin.

I've really been enjoying High Republic as an era and a publishing line; but this is one area that I feel like hasn't been handled super well
The publishing schedule and getting stuff in Ireland has been weird. I am mostly up to date with the comics, but they have run way ahead of the novel paperback releases, and anything YA or Adventures branded just doesn't seem to exist. It feels a lot less stuff has been released than actually has for some reason.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Next wave of the Essential Legends reprints has leaked. Death Troopers, Darth Maul: Shadow Hunters, and X-Wing: The Krytos Trap all coming August 2.

Death Troopers is lol, but the other two are solid. In retrospect, Shadow Hunters feels like setup for a lot of the Maul characterization after he got reanimated in Clone Wars. I think it was also the first work that connected Maul's saber with Exar Kun's.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Death Troopers already has unabridged audio, but it sucks so nobody cares probably. The other two don’t though.

The guy who wrote Death Troopers wrote Maul: Lockdown which has its goofy moments but it’s still decently fun. I’ve never heard good things about Red Harvest from anyone.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'm glad we're just getting all the X-Wing books (or at least I assume we'll get all of them....please give me fancy reprints of the Wraith stuff....please?)

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

With holiday madness done for a bit i've gotten a bit into Betrayal and i have to give it one thing. There are actually THINGS happening in it! Compared to Dark Nest where it was just kinda....eh and boring 90% of the time. Also, i'm a huge Wedge fan so seeing old man Wedge having to kick some butt was fantastic.

Although i do have some problems with this book, which i'm sure will only get worse as i get closer to the end.

1.Aaron Allston's "humorous" writing is all kinds of off in this one. What happened buddy :( especially that opening moment with Jacen and Ben talking about the generational gap in slang or whatever the gently caress that section was that was trying to be funny or witty? It's like his hearts not really in it.

2. I like the concept of the Skywalker and Solo family not being 100% on the same side of an issue for once but the way they go about setting up this whole conflict because Han of all people is one that is suddenly very anti-government and is enough of a proud, patriotic Correlian man to go behind the Galactic Alliances back (WITH LEIA GOING ALONG WITH IT) to let the Correllian government know there might be an attack coming so big stupid space battle can happen :psyduck:

Han has never been a big fan of either The New Republic or the Alliance but he and his family sure as poo poo have done SO MUCH to help put the galaxy back together in the last decade since the Vong War and now he wants to throw it all to his stupid cousin Sal Thrackan for some reason?

I'm not super familiar with the rest of the Bantan Era EU isn't this also like the 3rd time Correllia has tried to go independant and tried to take a bunch of systems with it? You'd think they'd just take away the loving superweapon they have in orbit to make sure they don't get thoughts like this after the 1st time.

Maybe it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth because i've heard so much talk of leaving the US in my own state in the past year and a half. I kinda recognize all the talking points being used here and i just roll my eyes at it.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

If they combined all the X-Wing books into a couple nice hardcovers I’d totally buy that. The Science Fiction Book Club released omnibus editions like that back in the 90s but they’re rare now and it’s hard to find a nice one that isn’t really expensive.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The Shame Boy posted:

With holiday madness done for a bit i've gotten a bit into Betrayal and i have to give it one thing. There are actually THINGS happening in it! Compared to Dark Nest where it was just kinda....eh and boring 90% of the time. Also, i'm a huge Wedge fan so seeing old man Wedge having to kick some butt was fantastic.

Seeing Wedge basically play Rogue Squadron to kill time in the book was fun.

I agree that Betrayal was a breath of fresh air in terms of things happening, but I think both LOTF and the Fate of the Jedi series have a lot of setup in the first book, and then increasingly wheel spin in later installments. Partly this is due to a lack of material (really, LOTF could have been condensed into a decent six books, or a solid trilogy) but also authors not communicating, and so either ignoring stuff from previous authors, outright overwriting stuff from previous authors, or just inserting their own storylines that have nothing to do with the rest of the plot (cough cough, Traviss).

Speaking of that, going from Betrayal to Bloodline is particularly striking because (no spoilers) Traviss wrote Bloodlines not only without reading Betrayal, but before Allston had even finished Betrayal's draft, so after finishing the first book you go into this weird area where it suddenly feels like you're back in the first book of a series. Particularly, there's a huge event that happens at the end of Betrayal, which I think gets mentioned once in Bloodlines because Traviss just didn't know what was going to happen and so made it not essential in her book.

The Shame Boy posted:

1.Aaron Allston's "humorous" writing is all kinds of off in this one. What happened buddy :( especially that opening moment with Jacen and Ben talking about the generational gap in slang or whatever the gently caress that section was that was trying to be funny or witty? It's like his hearts not really in it.

Unfortunately his humor gets worse and worse as the series goes on. There's an infamous attempt of his to use leet speak that had already been like overdone by a decade by 2008 or whenever that book was.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

OH NOOOOOOOOOO

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

FOTJ has Denning trying his hand at teen romance, and it’s not good. The Ben/Vestara romance was one of the worse things in a series full of awful poo poo.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
I’ve started reading the first book of the old Bantam Correllian trilogy and… it’s not bad, well mostly. I like the scenes showing the Solo family as an actual family (knowing what happens to them though, oof) and Lando dragging Luke on his wife hunt is surprisingly amusing so far. On the other hand the author really can’t write dialogue for children. Anakin talks like a toddler despite being 7. Only 100 pages in though so maybe it gets worse.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Hey I’m talking Star Wars books on a discord server and I remembered the Bounty Hunter Wars betrayal flow chart, can someone do me a solid and hook me up?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Xenomrph posted:

Hey I’m talking Star Wars books on a discord server and I remembered the Bounty Hunter Wars betrayal flow chart, can someone do me a solid and hook me up?

It’s in the OP.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Talk to them about this.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Edit— beaten!

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

fartknocker posted:

It’s in the OP.

if you don't love the sight of all of those Bossk -> Boba Fett -> Bossk betrayal chains there's something wrong with you

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Started on Victory's Price and lol at Hera being all "rebellions thrive on hope, republics need something sturdier".

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Jazerus posted:

if you don't love the sight of all of those Bossk -> Boba Fett -> Bossk betrayal chains there's something wrong with you
My favorite is Ob Fortuna betraying himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Some glorious poster either in this thread or its last incarnation summarised the Bounty Hunter trilogy along the lines of "never before has my brain so aggressively rejected information. I know I've read those books but no details remain in my memory" and I think about that just as much as I do that chart.

That poster, whoever they were, must have been one though barve.