Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

He also eliminated student debt and cut human carbon emissions to zero

Thanks to Mr. Faro there was no Climate apocalypse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Goons only hate on Faro because he's more successful at his goals than they are. It's pure jealousy.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Ted Faro is more competent than Elon Musk which might be the only thing that’ll spare us in the long run

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

There we go. I also would have accepted PUFFED FRIED TARO.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Kit Walker posted:

Ted Faro is more competent than Elon Musk which might be the only thing that’ll spare us in the long run

On the other hand, if Elon did eventually accomplish a robopocalypse, it'd at least be more entertaining because he diverted time and resources into giving them fart noise capability

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

In the Binding of Isaac: Rebirth, there is an item called the Whore of Babylon that gives you a beneficial "curse" when your health is low. When this effect triggers, a visual effect appears on screen. It's the "WHAT A HORRIBLE NIGHT TO HAVE A CURSE." text box that appears in Castlevania 2 whenever night falls. The game also has tarot card pickups that can be used for a one-time effect. One of those cards is The Empress, which triggers the Whore of Babylon effect, including the visual effect.

The new expansion Repentance adds a full set of inverted tarot cards with new effects. The inverted Empress card boosts a different set of stats than the regular one. It also makes the text box graphic appear on screen, but for the inverted Empress it reads "THE MORNING SUN HAS VANQUISHED THE HORRIBLE NIGHT." which is what it said in Castlevania 2 when night turned to day.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Is that out for PS4/5? I will totally pay for the new expansion if so. I know not all of the last expansion made it onto consoles

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Frank Frank posted:

Is that out for PS4/5? I will totally pay for the new expansion if so. I know not all of the last expansion made it onto consoles

According to the website, yup.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Ariong posted:

According to the website, yup.

Neat. Time to revisit Isaac.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It's out, and I haven't played Isaac in so long that I'm bad at it now and probably won't see any of the new stuff for a while if ever

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

haveblue posted:

It's out, and I haven't played Isaac in so long that I'm bad at it now and probably won't see any of the new stuff for a while if ever

I had all the unlocks done on the first iteration of the game. I played the 2nd(?) DLC version on Xbox but it was missing content (bosses, some items I think). Excited to play it all over again.

Edit: What the gently caress? The PS4 version of the game is $19.99. The PS5 version? $59.99

Frank Frank has a new favorite as of 02:56 on Dec 7, 2021

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
please just get isaac on pc so you can mod it, it should be real cheap during the winter sale on steam

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

RedSnapper posted:

You/We now wield the Gun/You

Also, I just did the Ashtray Maze and it's the most fun I've had in a game in a long, long time

I wish people had been honest about this just being the dope musical sequence in this Remedy game. It was good, but the concert in Alan Wake fits the same niche and hit better because it wasn't hyped up as the most amazing thing ever to be in a video game.

Still definitely the high point in Control.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Hokkaido Anxiety posted:

I wish people had been honest about this just being the dope musical sequence in this Remedy game. It was good, but the concert in Alan Wake fits the same niche and hit better because it wasn't hyped up as the most amazing thing ever to be in a video game.

Still definitely the high point in Control.

I wish the same thing for different reasons, because in terms of what the game presents for the Ashtray Maze it's sort of a bait-and-switch. The way the Maze is presented suggests a neat House of Leaves kind of thing, so when it was getting hyped up with secrecy I immediately thought 'I get what I'm being served here, and I'm on board'.

I was not on board with what the Ashtray Maze actually ended up being.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Also doesn't help that both the story and gameplay immediately go downhill after the Maze.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

John Murdoch posted:

Also doesn't help that both the story and gameplay immediately go downhill after the Maze.

I actually found the story immediately after the Ashtray Maze to be pretty strong, albeit mostly confined to notes and one light gameplay sequence.

Post-Maze story is definitely worse than pre-Maze, and the game has the most egregious non-ending I can think of. But I don't think it drops on a dime.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I've been watching Nidoking's LP of Control, where he's only teased the Ashtray Maze as a "Hmm. We'll come back here later" kind of place. After seeing it mentioned here a few times, I've been waiting with bated breath to see him actually tackle it. :argh:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Ashtray Maze isn't just solid music but also an interesting and fun visual experience and for many people they didn't see it coming at all. Anything loses its impact if it is overhyped.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Yeah, the maze itself is loving great, the problem is with people that have to consume an entire game played by someone else before they start it themselves.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Dead Space 3's weapon crafting is very good. Many years ago I posted about this dumb rear end glitch I found in Dead Space 3 that lets you blow yourself up into meatballs during cutscenes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Md4CnNfLiiI&t=88s

And today a friend of mine and I found out by stacking rate of fire circuits you can also exact MGR blade mode upon your enemies, so naturally I made a montage of us using it, please enjoy it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuWwkFpL8jw

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
I doubt there's a study but this much dead space must be bad for you.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Kitfox88 posted:

ROCK AND STONE

ROCK AND STONE!

Everyone mentions the Ashtray Maze as the highlight in Control. I think it's a cute little interactive music video/"look what we can do with the environment!" showcase that's fun and doesn't overstay its welcome. However, people seem to overlook the real musical highlight in the game: "Dynamite!" by Dr. Darling. If you haven't seen it yet, you should really finish Control. If you have, you know I'm correct.

Another little thing: I liked Langston going on and on (and on and on) about his cat and his neighbor (who's been feeding his cat). I stayed after the elevator ride ended and listened to his entire story because I'm not rude, and it was absolutely worth it.

Fifty Farts has a new favorite as of 15:42 on Dec 7, 2021

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Vic posted:

I doubt there's a study but this much dead space must be bad for you.

If I said I was trying to get hired at EA Motive by making music videos and behind the scenes dives of the game they're trying to bury would you believe me

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Kitfox88 posted:

ROCK AND STONE

Did I hear a ROCK AND STONE?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

CJacobs posted:

If I said I was trying to get hired at EA Motive by making music videos and behind the scenes dives of the game they're trying to bury would you believe me

if you get hired, promise me one thing:

playable norton in the remake

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
the man is the playboy genius of the year of course i'm going to make him the co-op partner

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

In Disco Elysium there's a nice little moment where you an Kim are waiting for the tide. You can whistle a little tune and if you do it right Kim joins in. Of course, Disco Elysium being Disco Elysium that moment comes to an end and everything becomes terrible again.

But I appreciate it when emotionally oppressive games have small moments like that. Like the Take On Me moment in the Last of Us II, a moment where the player can breathe a little.

Alhazred has a new favorite as of 17:36 on Dec 7, 2021

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

packetmantis posted:

Yeah, the maze itself is loving great, the problem is with people that have to consume an entire game played by someone else before they start it themselves.
I'm terrible at this kind of game and would likely never start a playthrough of Control myself, much less keep playing it to the point of experiencing the most awesome parts of it firsthand. I'm grateful for Let's Plays that showcase the fantastic titles out there that are beyond my skill level.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
Been playing through RDR2 again recently, and discovered a neat little detail. I was trying to call my horse over, but was really impatient, so I started spamming the whistle button. Arthur's whistling quickly became more and more raspy until he was unable to do it properly and he just went "Bah" and switched to calling to the horse instead.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Control has cheats in the options menu you can use to simply one hit kill things and skip them, no one should let that game’s awful repetitive combat deter them from experiencing everything good it has to offer

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Velocity Raptor posted:

Been playing through RDR2 again recently, and discovered a neat little detail. I was trying to call my horse over, but was really impatient, so I started spamming the whistle button. Arthur's whistling quickly became more and more raspy until he was unable to do it properly and he just went "Bah" and switched to calling to the horse instead.

Oh, I need to try this. Lol.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

CJacobs posted:

Absolutely. Yes.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Hirayuki posted:

I'm terrible at this kind of game and would likely never start a playthrough of Control myself, much less keep playing it to the point of experiencing the most awesome parts of it firsthand. I'm grateful for Let's Plays that showcase the fantastic titles out there that are beyond my skill level.

Absolutely read that as titties and was like, well, do what you gotta do I guess...?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

PYF little things in games: the fantastic titties out there that are beyond my skill level

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Vic posted:

Absolutely. Yes.

Do you know anyone at EA Motive because I really very much would like to stop watching Isaac Clarke getting elbowed in the face by John Carver to get footage of this game where you can't skip the cutscenes

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

flatluigi posted:

please just get isaac on pc so you can mod it, it should be real cheap during the winter sale on steam

I kinda want a physical copy of the game. It's one of my favorites over the last 10 years or so. Looks like Niclas is doing pre-orders now for Switch and PS5.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Look, the real problem is that when Ted told his programmers 'make the robots unhackable', the programmers didn't make them unhackable and they got hijacked by aliens. That is exactly what Ted tried to prevent! Maybe if the programmers had done their drat jobs instead of being lazy leeches posting to r/antiwork things would have gone differently

Tunicate has a new favorite as of 00:46 on Dec 8, 2021

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
The Blockchain Could Have Prevented This (Somehow)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

christmas boots posted:

The Blockchain Could Have Prevented This (Somehow)

Actually it kinda did! :pseudo:

Part of Zero Dawn was having Eden brute-force cracking the shut-down code over a span of about six centuries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

1stGear posted:

playable norton in the remake

yes.

Yes.

YES.