Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Snowmankilla posted:

The reason I ask is after questioning them a bit (and letting them know our dock master from our marina saw them use our boat as a taxi on Monday),

Lmao, wait, back the gently caress up, what

I think the dock master was trying to tell you something here without inserting himself into your personal financial drama

What does "use our boat as a taxi" mean. I won't even let the marina touch my boat while I'm not physically watching them, let alone start the engine :tviv:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Hadlock posted:

What does "use our boat as a taxi" mean.

If I'm reading it right, here that means: 3rd degree theft, missappropriation of property valued between $300-19,999.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Looking at it again it is a pretty clean break.

But who gives a poo poo; if they were using your boat for unauthorized purposes, as I said and has been echoed. They lost all benefit of a doubt, right there. Unfortunately unless that harbormaster wants to talk to the cops, which seems unlikely, you're right, it is he said/she said from even a civil damages point of view.

IANAL

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Crunchy Black posted:

But who gives a poo poo; if they were using your boat for unauthorized purposes, as I said and has been echoed. They lost all benefit of a doubt, right there. Unfortunately unless that harbormaster wants to talk to the cops, which seems unlikely, you're right, it is he said/she said from even a civil damages point of view.

IANAL

Don't tell them that, lol. A decent enough opportunity to scare the poo poo out of some grifters.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Hadlock posted:

I think the dock master was trying to tell you something here without inserting himself into your personal financial drama

What does "use our boat as a taxi" mean. I won't even let the marina touch my boat while I'm not physically watching them, let alone start the engine :tviv:

Yeah. That has my wife fired up as well. They were pulling a number of boats out of our marina, but using the public ramp 5 min away. Our marina saw them use our boat to ferry people back and forth between the marina and the ramp. No idea how long they were on it.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Crunchy Black posted:

IANAL

Ha. That is not what I want to hear. Hopefully they step up?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Snowmankilla posted:

Yeah. That has my wife fired up as well. They were pulling a number of boats out of our marina, but using the public ramp 5 min away. Our marina saw them use our boat to ferry people back and forth between the marina and the ramp. No idea how long they were on it.

Ha. That's lawsuit-level incompetency. Theft, etc. I'd lose my poo poo, and our boat is a 15' plywood skiff... albeit a nice one. I've had the marina call us up and ask to use our landing craft to push some docks around, but it's another to just take it without getting permission.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Any thoughts on whether SV Seeker from the youtube channel will ever actually get into the water ? I'm leaning towards not a hope in hell in a commercial port, and a maybe if it gets moved to a git-er-done boat-yard.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Baconroll posted:

Any thoughts on whether SV Seeker from the youtube channel will ever actually get into the water ? I'm leaning towards not a hope in hell in a commercial port, and a maybe if it gets moved to a git-er-done boat-yard.

Is insurance still the holdup?

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Is insurance still the holdup?

Yes it looks like he has insurance now but the port doesn't know how to handle non-commerical insurance.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I think the port really really doesn't want to be the scape goat if/when that thing unrolls itself with 15 students aboard in the south pacific

"How could you let them splash such an unseawothy vessel?!? Won't anyone think of the children???!!?"

If you resplash a vessel that's already been in the water, and it sinks, that's somebody else's problem. If you splash a boat that's never been in the water, regardless of the legality, in the court of public opinion you're liable, which counts for a lot in a place like Tulsa

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I guess it's official, we're moving to the east coast, land of swamps, ICW and tidal creeks and average water depths that flirt with 36 inches

The last power boat my family had was a 14' Boston Whaler in the mid 1980s, I know basically nothing about them

If I'm not planning on doing deep water fishing or scuba diving, it looks like there are three main options:

1) standard ski boat, seems like 17-19 feet is about normal
2) fiberglass center console, these seem to start at $20,000 used and go up to infinity
3) center console RIB, looks like you can get a 17' inmar new for about $27k and go up from there

Last time I was on a power boat it was a joyride on a 30' predator RIB with about 400hp to get someone's keys on the other side of San Francisco bay and back again, really impressed me, plus it has soft sides so you can come along side other boats and steal their blender in case yours breaks

With a wife and toddler what kind of boat should I be targeting for zipping around the ICW in summertime

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
There are small pilothouse and walk-around topside arrangements as well.

I'm a huge fan of Parker boats. They're very well built, have a lot of nice features, and aren't crazy money. The tan-ish hull gelcoat means it doesn't look dirty when stained by the tannins in the creeks. There was a very active forum (Classic Parker) when we ran one commercially. They used to also provide the electrical wiring diagram for any of their boats, just provide the HIN.

You'd be looking for a Mod V, not a Deep V.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

What part of the intercoastal? It varies pretty wildly depending on specifically where you are.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Wilmington, NC

I would imagine we'd trailer it anywhere between Myrtle Beach and Norfolk, VA , but 95% of the time probably on the ICW between Wrightsville Beach and Carolina Beach, with a fair amount of gunkholing up all the random creeks etc

Actually probably a lot of gunkholing, I'm gonna chew up a ton of props, I bet

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Flats boats are a BIG thing down here in Florida. There’s a ton of manufacturers in the 15-19’ range, and Shearwater makes a whole range of boats that kinda blur the line between a flats boat and an offshore center console all the way up through 27’.

…Including a couple called Carolina. :v:

It or something like it seems pretty much perfect for what you wanna do. Get up in the thin water, but still not ride like complete garbage in chop. (Like a ski boat will.)

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

MrYenko posted:

Flats boats are a BIG thing down here in Florida. There’s a ton of manufacturers in the 15-19’ range, and Shearwater makes a whole range of boats that kinda blur the line between a flats boat and an offshore center console all the way up through 27’.

…Including a couple called Carolina. :v:

It or something like it seems pretty much perfect for what you wanna do. Get up in the thin water, but still not ride like complete garbage in chop. (Like a ski boat will.)

Shearwater is also having a ton of issues right now after being bought out. And don't currently have a bay boat below 23'. And can have bad upholstery along with odd electrical choices on the older ones.

Tidewater is made in the carolinas, has the carolina flare on the bow of their bay boats and has some smaller options available. Quality can be hit or miss on them, but the newer stuff is finally using better gear than throwing a th marine catalog at the boat.

Really though it seems like a bay boat is where you want to be. Higher gunnels to keep kiddos somewhat in the boat, a bit of a V hull to handle some chop but still can still slide up into shallowish water.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Elmnt80 posted:

Shearwater is also having a ton of issues right now after being bought out. And don't currently have a bay boat below 23'. And can have bad upholstery along with odd electrical choices on the older ones.

Tidewater is made in the carolinas, has the carolina flare on the bow of their bay boats and has some smaller options available. Quality can be hit or miss on them, but the newer stuff is finally using better gear than throwing a th marine catalog at the boat.

Really though it seems like a bay boat is where you want to be. Higher gunnels to keep kiddos somewhat in the boat, a bit of a V hull to handle some chop but still can still slide up into shallowish water.

:hmmyes:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

So is this the perfect boat for me? Center console bay boat 25' with carolina flare?

https://www.seabornboats.com/bay-boats/fx25-bay/

Besides the price of course :psypop: I guess look for a used one or something similar

Edit: if I had $50,000 burning a hole in my pocket, is this, uh, a reasonable choice? I've never tried deck mounting a blender before

https://www.boattrader.com/boat/2017-sea-born-fx24-bay-7728307/

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Dec 4, 2021

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I mean, it may be easier to make a list of what you want out of the boat and go from there? Do you care about having a cabin or is a t-top/bimini good enough? Does it need a toilet? Does it need to regularly handle 3ft waves or just a light chop? Does it need high gunnels for kiddo safety? Are you fishing on it? Is an in deck icebox a must have? Does it need seating for 8?

I mean, unless you really need to go into water with some chop, loving pontoon boats are excellent family day on the water boats if you can get over the classism around them. Tons of room and seating, deployable shade, lots of storage.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Elmnt80 posted:

loving pontoon boats

lmao new thread title

Sat down with wife and showed her some videos on fx25 and by the time they had shown off the third live bait compartment she turns to me and says "I don't want a fishing boat, let's keep the j105 until we can save up and get a fancy sailboat"

well I've always wanted to take a boat through the Panama canal

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
I mean, this might fall into what you consider a "standard ski boat" but a dual console is really a great family boat.

Scout is based in SC, and their Dorado line seem like good boats. I've got a 25 year old 17' center console from them, and it's a quality boat.

https://www.scoutboats.com/model/195-sport-dorado/

Their dual consoles are built on the same hull as their center consoles, with different deck molds.

Also, my father-in-law has an older Grady-White 19' dual console that does really well on the bays and intercoastal here.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
We no longer have any friends or family near me who own one and now my wife planted the seed that we should get one. This will be my first time buying one, so I'm really not sure what $ vs $$ gets you. I found a few in my area that caught my attention, in the general price range we're looking at but I'm not really sure what's worth spending extra money on. I found these four: 2005 Sea Ray, 2006 Glastron, 2013 Bayliner, and a different 06 Glastron. I haven't gone to actually look at any of these yet but I sent these to my wife and she likes the Sea Ray the most because she thinks the front bow seating looks to be the most comfortable and roomy.

We're planning on using it on lakes around us in SE Michigan, so no salt water or large bodies of water. It's just the two of us, but we'd like to bring friends along (max 3 other adults and two kids). I read that Glastron hulls have a better design than other manufacturers, but I don't really know how much that's worth. I like the 13 Bayliner because it has the same hp as the volvo v8 in the 2nd Glastron I linked while also being fuel injected, but Bayliner seems to have a mediocre reputation (which maybe is why the Bayliner is 7yrs newer than the Glastron but practically the same price?). Does bumping our budget up to ~$30k get us into arguably better boats? No pontoons, wife's orders.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Hadlock posted:

"I don't want a fishing boat, let's keep the j105 until we can save up and get a fancy sailboat"

A J105 is a fancy sailboat, I say, glancing over at my little ole shark 24.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I would get the '13 without even clicking on the links

Most boat parts have a 20 year service life. By buying a '13 boat you're buying it halfway through it's service life, whereas buying an '05 in one year has maybe three years left in it before you need to start investing in major surgery

I used to scoff at the 20 year rule but in practice it seems to be pretty reliable

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

TrueChaos posted:

A J105 is a fancy sailboat, I say, glancing over at my little ole shark 24.

It's fancy until you have to put your pants on sitting down because it has 5'4" standing headroom, also has no stove, access to the battery and engine

All sailboats should have rod rigging though :awesome:

Trying to sell the wife on a very well preserved Passport 40, ideally with the Pullman berth

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
It's been a while since I posted in here but sometimes things move fast.

I went and looked at a 2008 Catalina 42 mk II today, made an offer on it, and after some brief back and forth negotiations, it looks like we've settled on a price I'm going to sleep on.

Holy poo poo, I'm gonna own a sailboat.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Hadlock posted:

It's fancy until you have to put your pants on sitting down because it has 5'4" standing headroom, also has no stove, access to the battery and engine

All sailboats should have rod rigging though :awesome:

The shark has like 4' headroom, don't worry. Luxury to me would be standing up below without issue at 6' tall :v:

Agree on the rod rigging though!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Kenshin posted:

2008 Catalina 42 mk II today,

Congrats, can confirm that's a good margarita sipping boat. It was standing room only but I think we had like 14 people in the saloon one time

Make sure you budget 25% of the value of the boat for a refit

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Make sure you budget 25% of the value of the boat for a refit
Yep, I have significantly more than that budgeted as I would like to take it offshore in a few years.

This is the 2 cabin pullman berth version

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Uh, define offshore

Catalina for going San Diego to Seattle in ideal weather window? Sure thing.

San Francisco to Hawaii? Probably rethink that one. Catalina are famously known as coastal cruisers for a reason. There are a couple Catalina 36 that have made the trip to Hawaii on their own bottom but they're exceedingly rare

I haven't looked at the cat 42 bulkheads, but the bullheads on our Catalina 30 were screwed into the hull

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Uh, define offshore

Catalina for going San Diego to Seattle in ideal weather window? Sure thing.

San Francisco to Hawaii? Probably rethink that one. Catalina are famously known as coastal cruisers for a reason. There are a couple Catalina 36 that have made the trip to Hawaii on their own bottom but they're exceedingly rare

I haven't looked at the cat 42 bulkheads, but the bullheads on our Catalina 30 were screwed into the hull

42s are quite capable of going down the coconut run to Australia

it's what a number of my boat purchase/offshore equipping advisor's clients have done, the Aussies love the boats and they sell them there for more than they bought them for here

It's not a go-anywhere boat but it is a go-most-places boat

As John Kretschmer says in his 2008 review of the 42s:

quote:

Are there more ruggedly built boats? Yes. Is the Catalina 42 built to sail around Cape Horn? No. Is it built to do what most sailors want it to? Absolutely. Would most 42 owners buy it again? Overwhelming so. That speaks volumes about the construction of the boat.

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Dec 8, 2021

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Kenshin posted:

I'm sorry for your loss :sun:

Loss of disposable income, that is.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Rod rigging is a pain in the rear end to handle, a pain in the rear end to store (if you like me have to take the mast off for winter every year) and you can't easily tell when it's starting to wear out like you can with ordinary 19-strand wire. I don't see what the benefits are?

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Dec 9, 2021

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

two_beer_bishes posted:

We no longer have any friends or family near me who own one and now my wife planted the seed that we should get one. This will be my first time buying one, so I'm really not sure what $ vs $$ gets you. I found a few in my area that caught my attention, in the general price range we're looking at but I'm not really sure what's worth spending extra money on. I found these four: 2005 Sea Ray, 2006 Glastron, 2013 Bayliner, and a different 06 Glastron. I haven't gone to actually look at any of these yet but I sent these to my wife and she likes the Sea Ray the most because she thinks the front bow seating looks to be the most comfortable and roomy.

We're planning on using it on lakes around us in SE Michigan, so no salt water or large bodies of water. It's just the two of us, but we'd like to bring friends along (max 3 other adults and two kids). I read that Glastron hulls have a better design than other manufacturers, but I don't really know how much that's worth. I like the 13 Bayliner because it has the same hp as the volvo v8 in the 2nd Glastron I linked while also being fuel injected, but Bayliner seems to have a mediocre reputation (which maybe is why the Bayliner is 7yrs newer than the Glastron but practically the same price?). Does bumping our budget up to ~$30k get us into arguably better boats? No pontoons, wife's orders.
My parents had, I think, a sea ray 175 of a slightly older vintage. It was fine. But yeah, the lower end I/O runabouts are probably going to be pretty fungible.

How about a jet boat? https://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/boa/d/farmington-2018-yamaha-sx195/7400457786.html

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

TheFluff posted:

Rod rigging is a pain in the rear end to handle, a pain in the rear end to store (if you like me have to take the mast off for winter every year) and you can't easily tell when it's starting to wear out like you can with ordinary 19-strand wire. I don't see what the benefits are?

Lasts a lot longer, very low stretch characteristics, and higher strength than wire rigging is the reason really. Plus it looks cool.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
With wire rigging i can just swap all that out myself, i have no idea how to tune/replace rod.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

two_beer_bishes posted:

Howdy neighbor. I can't really argue against Hadlock's 20 year rule since my mid 90s boat is currently in for major surgery, but I'm still not a fan of the Bayliner. Aside from their reputation for quality or that it looks to already be in rougher cosmetic shape than the others, I usually don't trust the previous owner of something with a bad reputation because it often means they knew nothing about what they were buying or they were too cheap to care. Neither gives me much confidence they took proper care of their boat.

That said, it isn't a deal breaker and cosmetic stuff is cosmetic. Go sit in whatever you're looking at, and make sure you get comfortable. Half the time you spend on a boat you're going to be reclined or sitting sideways or something. Also, take a pocket knife or a screwdriver or a tiny hammer or something and tap on as much structural wood as you can find in the engine bay. Tap along the whole exposed length of the stringers, the engine mounts, and the transom and if you hear a dull thud anywhere then go find another boat. The typical way boats are built is they make the outer hull out of fiberglass, then put down a wooden structure, then lay fiberglass on top of the wood to waterproof it, then cover everything in decking made out of wood or fiberglass. Problem is that the wood is almost always still the structure of the boat and if water gets under the fiberglass it will dissolve from the inside out and the non-structural fiberglass covering it will look the same. I screwed myself on this when I bought my boat because the manufacturer put a fiberglass shelf under the engine that covers all the wood so I could only check the transom and then a year later one of the bolts holding my engine in pulled out.

What were we talking about again? Oh yeah, some little things to keep in mind if you're between two boats. I've been told by a boat mechanic that Mercruisers are easier to do maintenance on than Volvos and they're much more common so parts are more plentiful. Also, when the length is listed it includes the swim platform if its molded into the fiberglass, but not if the swim platform is bolted on.

I also wouldn't rule out a jet boat or an outboard in your position. I used to have a Sea Doo boat (smaller than you're looking at) and it was fine except for Bombardier being loving weird sometimes. I love I/O's and grew up on them, but they're kind of all the maintenance of both inboards and outboards and the rubber bellows that connect the engine to the outdrive. poo poo, don't forget to check the bellows for cracks too. Its a pain in the rear end to replace them and I just got quoted $900 for the job (and the poo poo that rusted because mine were leaking) but I'm probably going to do it myself once the boat mechanic finally finishes rebuilding my motor mounts and then putting my engine back in. I just have to keep reminding myself how nice it is to have a Chevy small block when I want to go tear around the lake or yank someone's fat rear end up on skis. I feel like this post has gotten away from me.

Assuming I haven't scared you off, I look forward to seeing you on the water. Or at least I would if Michigan didn't have 1,000+ lakes big enough to be all-sports so odds are you'll be on one of the others.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

n0tqu1tesane posted:

I mean, this might fall into what you consider a "standard ski boat" but a dual console is really a great family boat.

Scout is based in SC, and their Dorado line seem like good boats. I've got a 25 year old 17' center console from them, and it's a quality boat.

https://www.scoutboats.com/model/195-sport-dorado/

Their dual consoles are built on the same hull as their center consoles, with different deck molds.

Also, my father-in-law has an older Grady-White 19' dual console that does really well on the bays and intercoastal here.

I really took a liking to the Dorado's, when I saw a video featuring the bilge and it had finished fiberglass all over. Looked so clean, I want the 195 very badly because while I appreciate small center-consoles that many offer at entry-level, I'd rather have a small dual-console. I can't find used Scout boats in my area however on boattrader. Most of the dual consoles for sale around here are Glastrons, are these surf-boats?

Nonsense fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Dec 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Thanks for all the advice, I'm probably going to hold off until next year when I can see things actually float and drive a couple (and sit in them without shrink wrap!)