Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Has a long series ever started in the middle, then gone backwards, like if they were to have made Star Wars Episode 4, then 1,2,3,5...? It seems like it could avoid the discovery writing mess that a lot of series get themselves into if done that way. I heard Narnia did something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

Has a long series ever started in the middle, then gone backwards, like if they were to have made Star Wars Episode 4, then 1,2,3,5...? It seems like it could avoid the discovery writing mess that a lot of series get themselves into if done that way. I heard Narnia did something like that.

It's not like he didn't know what the bible said when he started writing.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

Not really. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe was meant to be the only Narnia book. The Magician's Nephew is sort of a prequel. The Horse and His Boy is sort of a spin off that takes place right after The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe and while the Pevensies are rulers of Narnia.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

Malazan kinda does that. The timelines require a chart.

Non-linear writing makes some things easier--the author gets to develop ideas and the world as problems arise, without needing to revise previous parts that were incompatible, because you can use the middle as a guide for writing the beginning, and then you use the middle and beginning together as a guide for the end. But it creates its own issues as well. You have to make sure that the individual pieces are self-contained enough to be satisfying in their own right without relying on the previous pieces that don't exist yet, or exist only in an outline that's probably not finalized. You get to just casually reference big plot or world-building ideas and not explain them fully, but at the risk of the reader losing trust in you.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

OperaMouse posted:

That books wasn't released yet. He should still have asked it.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Well in 2007 when this discussion occurred A Dance with Dragons didn’t exist and so neither did any of the Northern Plot.

Ya ya. He could have even asked "what happened to Sandor Clegane?" that came in AFFC and was subtler still

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
One day it’ll come out that the real pitch meeting between GRRM and D&D was essentially “look you creepy old man, HBO just cancelled Rome because it was too expensive and is really tepid about a project of this scale, so the only thing you got going for you is us being into it. So either let us make it or you can stuff your stupid rear end books up your rear end.”

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

One day it’ll come out that the real pitch meeting between GRRM and D&D was essentially “look you creepy old man, HBO just cancelled Rome because it was too expensive and is really tepid about a project of this scale, so the only thing you got going for you is us being into it. So either let us make it or you can stuff your stupid rear end books up your rear end.”

Would have made for a better show even if it was only a single episode.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

mind the walrus posted:

I got bored this weekend and did a deep dive on loving Animorphs of all things. Now that was a series that went some loving places. You could honestly repurpose the story beats as-is and just rewrite it aimed at an adult audience with some added swears, and the content would scale up near-perfectly and hit the zeitgeist probably even better than it did in the 90s.

Animorphs seems very well suited to be a big hit right now. Simple but interesting concept, accessible setting, enough political intrigue type stuff to add some depth (especially once the Yeerk internal conflicts get revealed), pretty heavy emotional beats throughout, diverse cast, etc.

Thing it is it would require so much constant CGI for all the effects, which would eat into the budget pretty heavily. Maybe something that could be solved by creative editing? Or get the Henson company in there to handle the Andalites, Hork-Bajir, etc.

Alternatively give it to whatever studio did Arcane or DOTA or Castlevania and let them go hog wild

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Mat Cauthon posted:

Animorphs seems very well suited to be a big hit right now. Simple but interesting concept, accessible setting, enough political intrigue type stuff to add some depth (especially once the Yeerk internal conflicts get revealed), pretty heavy emotional beats throughout, diverse cast, etc.

Thing it is it would require so much constant CGI for all the effects, which would eat into the budget pretty heavily. Maybe something that could be solved by creative editing? Or get the Henson company in there to handle the Andalites, Hork-Bajir, etc.

Alternatively give it to whatever studio did Arcane or DOTA or Castlevania and let them go hog wild

I kind of love that Animorphs actually has this deep story and people were upset how it ended etc... because it's also the series of books with possibly the stupidest covers and constantly made fun of; and looks so dumb just judging by the covers.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

13 year old me loved those covers. Seeing those at the school book fair was what got me reading them. I still have the first 30 some odd books. Read the rest many years later online (you can dl them free at this point) just to find out what happened.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

banned from Starbucks posted:

ha i mean in the sense of not even bothering with a wet fart ending

The best thing HBO could've done was end GoT 3 seasons earlier with a bunch of unresolved plots and people screaming for more. Then start pumping out all the prequel stuff since fans would still want to see it. Instead, interest in ASOIAF dropped off a cliff the moment the series finale crashed and burned (not that it could end any other way). Now you've got a bunch of dumb GenX and Millennial parents who named their daughters after Lady Dragon Hitler because they were so oblivious to Dany's issues that it took her burning down a city due to ringing bells and declaring her plans to conquer the world to see that, oh yeah the daughter of an insane king and bloodthirsty lineage is also bad.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

The best thing HBO could've done was end GoT 3 seasons earlier with a bunch of unresolved plots and people screaming for more. Then start pumping out all the prequel stuff since fans would still want to see it. Instead, interest in ASOIAF dropped off a cliff the moment the series finale crashed and burned (not that it could end any other way). Now you've got a bunch of dumb GenX and Millennial parents who named their daughters after Lady Dragon Hitler because they were so oblivious to Dany's issues that it took her burning down a city due to ringing bells and declaring her plans to conquer the world to see that, oh yeah the daughter of an insane king and bloodthirsty lineage is also bad.

I mean, the best thing they could have done is make GRRM finish the books, or force him to let someone else finish them under his name. Then people would probably have been able to read their favorite book moments into whatever the show came up with, like they did for S5 Dorne.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

pidan posted:

I mean, the best thing they could have done is make GRRM finish the books, or force him to let someone else finish them under his name. Then people would probably have been able to read their favorite book moments into whatever the show came up with, like they did for S5 Dorne.
They had no leverage to do this - the leverage went the other way and they were at least somewhat relying on his goodwill. If anything *he* should have forced them to revise their scripts until they didn't suck - he was in a position to trash the show publicly.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

They’ll probably still make a ton of money after he dies and someone else writes it. I’m sure they don’t care too much at this point.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

They had no leverage to do this - the leverage went the other way and they were at least somewhat relying on his goodwill. If anything *he* should have forced them to revise their scripts until they didn't suck - he was in a position to trash the show publicly.

he almost certainly was not in a position to trash the show publicly. film and television contracts usually include a clause about how you can not talk poo poo about the thing until x time after it has been published. there was a big thing about this with the totally poo poo film "dying of the light" where the writer/director was not given final cut and him and nic cage and anton yelchin all refused to talk about the film because they had nothing nice to say and would be sued if they said anything not nice

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

pidan posted:

Nothing short of him signing an agreement along the lines of "if you don't finish the books HBO gets all rights to ASOIAF and can hire someone else to finish them" would let that happen and lmao if you think GRRM would've signed anything like that.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

jsoh posted:

he almost certainly was not in a position to trash the show publicly. film and television contracts usually include a clause about how you can not talk poo poo about the thing until x time after it has been published. there was a big thing about this with the totally poo poo film "dying of the light" where the writer/director was not given final cut and him and nic cage and anton yelchin all refused to talk about the film because they had nothing nice to say and would be sued if they said anything not nice
Those are all actors who want to stay in the business, grrm is an independently wealthy senior citizen with no heirs and can say whatever the hell he wants, lawsuit be damned. My point is that he had leverage and could have credibly threatened to do that and influenced their behavior - presumably HBO would, to some extent, try to make him happy rather than gambling on a lawsuit working out net-positive.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
he's worked in tv and film for decades I think he's likely internalized most of the culture of not making GBS threads on the product, and also he's got money but he doesn't have get sued by warner brothers and be fine money

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

pseudanonymous posted:

I kind of love that Animorphs actually has this deep story and people were upset how it ended etc... because it's also the series of books with possibly the stupidest covers and constantly made fun of; and looks so dumb just judging by the covers.
Reading up on it and it honestly chumps the everloving gently caress out of Harry Potter and Dany's entire story in ASoIaF. Jake isn't just the defacto leader of these kids, he grows into it so much that by the end of the series he's legitimately sacrificing entire platoons of children as feints and then willing to be held accountable for war crimes he committed in the heat of the moment. Rachel goes from "I'm a bit of an adrenaline junkie" to a loving black ops assassin. Even the goddamn pacifists like Cassie and Ax are shown to be willing to be really pragmatic and even corruptible in the face of guerilla war. There's a goofy time travel story and the legit solution Cassie comes up with is "ok we have to erase this dude from existence" and then they do that with the guy taking a moment to acknowledge that he's about to get wiped out of the universe and that this is for the greater good. They also slit Hitler's throat during that story.

Like yeah it's all written at a preteen level with the dumbest loving covers, but compared to that it really puts little Miss "Oh wow life as a foreign invader means I made insurgent enemies? How could this have happened?" into perspective, and honestly I don't think even GRRM really understands how detestable the characters of ASoIaF actually are just on their faces (in the good way).

And that's not even counting the actual sci-fi stuff, which features some goofy-rear end but surprisingly endearing alien designs and concepts. If you're into TNG/DS9/Babylon 5-era sci-fi at all I highly recommend discovering/rediscovering Animorphs-- it'll 100% scratch some of that itch.

Evil Fluffy posted:

That would require people good at logistics, not trust funders whose sexual experience legitimately seems to tap out at hiring/falling in love with prostitutes. Like you're absolutely right, but that would require foresight and some really careful planning to get everyone's contracts and the production teams in place depending on which way the wind blew. If I were a privileged shithead angling for Disney to offer me a Star War, I'd have just kept doubling down on the pipeline already set up too.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Nothing short of him signing an agreement along the lines of "if you don't finish the books HBO gets all rights to ASOIAF and can hire someone else to finish them" would let that happen and lmao if you think GRRM would've signed anything like that.
Yeah I would actually bet that was part of what kept the show in negotiation for a while anyway, like HBO knew they had a hit and GRRM knew that if he let the rights go he'd never ever see them again. Say what you want about the fat fucker he seems to have gotten the best possible deal for himself.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Everyone talks about how much merch probably doesn't get bought anymore, so I decided to check out the official merch store and got some laughs out of it.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

pseudanonymous posted:

Apparently the Vietnamese covers kept the same basic format but classed things up a bit.

https://imgur.com/a/Yh5mxDh

mind the walrus posted:

Reading up on it and it honestly chumps the everloving gently caress out of Harry Potter and Dany's entire story in ASoIaF. Jake isn't just the defacto leader of these kids, he grows into it so much that by the end of the series he's legitimately sacrificing entire platoons of children as feints and then willing to be held accountable for war crimes he committed in the heat of the moment. Rachel goes from "I'm a bit of an adrenaline junkie" to a loving black ops assassin. Even the goddamn pacifists like Cassie and Ax are shown to be willing to be really pragmatic and even corruptible in the face of guerilla war. There's a goofy time travel story and the legit solution Cassie comes up with is "ok we have to erase this dude from existence" and then they do that with the guy taking a moment to acknowledge that he's about to get wiped out of the universe and that this is for the greater good. They also slit Hitler's throat during that story.

Like yeah it's all written at a preteen level with the dumbest loving covers, but compared to that it really puts little Miss "Oh wow life as a foreign invader means I made insurgent enemies? How could this have happened?" into perspective, and honestly I don't think even GRRM really understands how detestable the characters of ASoIaF actually are just on their faces (in the good way).

And that's not even counting the actual sci-fi stuff, which features some goofy-rear end but surprisingly endearing alien designs and concepts. If you're into TNG/DS9/Babylon 5-era sci-fi at all I highly recommend discovering/rediscovering Animorphs-- it'll 100% scratch some of that itch.

The YA structure elides some of the absolutely grim stuff in Animorphs, going back and revisiting it as an adult you see how it could've been way more disturbing.

All the protagonists have to make horribly immoral choices, get tortured mentally or physically at various times during the series (some of them more than once), deal with their families getting torn apart as part of the fallout of their war, endure a bunch of body horror stuff that would drive anyone insane, encounter Lovecraftian beings that continually gently caress with them, etc. At the end of it only two of them are able to operate as functional human beings IIRC - everyone else either goes out in a blaze of glory akin to suicide or crumbles under the weight of what they had to do to "win". The actual ending is... Earth gets conscripted into a new "benevolent" empire while the heroes who can't cope go looking for their missing friend and find out some absolutely terrible poo poo is coming their way. How many series have the balls to go out like that, and not try to sugar coat it?

There are plenty of goofy or cringy YA aspects that have aged horribly but honestly the series on the whole is much better than it has any right to be especially considering how much of it was ghost written.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Dec 8, 2021

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

There's a good Let's Read Animorphs thread that's up to book 33 now (one of the "absolutely grim" ones), if you want more Animorphs chat. And there are some people in there who didn't read the books at all or didn't get this far, whose reactions are usually quite entertaining.

Gnoman posted:

Did our hero just leave an innocent homeless man to be brutally murdered as a distraction?

Scholastic published this?

KellHound
Jul 23, 2007

I commend my soul to any god that can find it.

Mat Cauthon posted:

Apparently the Vietnamese covers kept the same basic format but classed things up a bit.

https://imgur.com/a/Yh5mxDh

At the end of it only two of them are able to operate as functional human beings IIRC - everyone else either goes out in a blaze of glory akin to suicide or crumbles under the weight of what they had to do to "win".

Only Cassie is a functional human being at the end. They all go on the suicide mission except her.

Also, what is loving amazing is the letter the author posted after the series was over. It is still up if you want to read it http://www.hiracdelest.com/database/articles/kaa_response-full.htm, but basically readers where unhappy with the sad ending. Applegate is like: Oh yeah? WELL THAT'S WAR KIDS! IT SUCKS! IT ALWAYS SUCKS! So when you're old enough to vote, don't vote for pro-war politicians!

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Ok Chamberlain.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

KellHound posted:

Only Cassie is a functional human being at the end. They all go on the suicide mission except her.

Also, what is loving amazing is the letter the author posted after the series was over. It is still up if you want to read it http://www.hiracdelest.com/database/articles/kaa_response-full.htm, but basically readers where unhappy with the sad ending. Applegate is like: Oh yeah? WELL THAT'S WAR KIDS! IT SUCKS! IT ALWAYS SUCKS! So when you're old enough to vote, don't vote for pro-war politicians!

And to think this letter was written pre-Afghanistan and Iraq. Hell, it was pre-9/11 barely the skin of its teeth too. It reads a LOT differently two decades and an entire Forever War removed now, doesn't it? Especially after an unsmall amount of the kids who probably complained about how "lovely" the ending to the series was then went and fought in an actual unwinnable hell war themselves.

I'm also gonna second everyone checking out Epicurius' Let's Read of Animorphs, it's really good.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

I want to see Christian Cameron on this chart.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I'd be interested to see how well a time shifted Isacc "What would I do if I was told I only had 30 minutes to live? Type faster" Asimov would do on this graph as well.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

It is goddamn insane how prolific Stephen King is. Every time I see it I'm just in awe. Dude hasn't written anything good in twenty years or so but you never have to worry about him getting his drafts in on time.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

My mom bought me a ‘i drink and i know things’ sweater last year and i’ve never had to smile through my teeth harder for a gift. Like it was just a culmination of ‘you’re an alcoholic smartass who loves a piece of poo poo book or show or whatever gently caress you.’ I know she meant well but god drat.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Is the book out yet

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

To be fair (ugh) to GRRM, AGOT is nowhere near his first published work.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Mat Cauthon posted:

It is goddamn insane how prolific Stephen King is. Every time I see it I'm just in awe. Dude hasn't written anything good in twenty years or so but you never have to worry about him getting his drafts in on time.

yeah, he kept on writing after the accident, but hasn't made anything good since

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Look at how steep Sanderson's line is as well. Give him a couple more decades and King is going to find himself surpassed on word count.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Deptfordx posted:

Look at how steep Sanderson's line is as well. Give him a couple more decades and King is going to find himself surpassed on word count.

unfortunately he was never good

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I quite liked the first Mistborn trilogy, but I was indifferent to his stand alone novels like Warbreaker. The last book of his I actually read was 2010's The Way of Kings, which I found a tedious slog which I only finished because I was in hospital for the weekend and literally had nothing else to do.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Mat Cauthon posted:

It is goddamn insane how prolific Stephen King is. Every time I see it I'm just in awe.
It's probably worse than anyone knows.

There's a bit in Bag of Bones where the protagonist (A novelist, naturally) develops a severe and unbreakable case of writer's block. It persists for years, but nobody but himself realizes this, because he just so happens to have a safety deposit box filled with completed but unpublished manuscripts going back decades; books he finished but decided weren't good enough for publication, and sat on. By turning these over to his publisher he maintains the fiction that he's still a successful writer.

I remember reading that and realizing immediately that this detail is almost certainly autobiographical. When Stephen King dies people are going to take a sledgehammer to his walls and find every empty space in his house filled with unpublished novels, like Prince's secret music vault.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Oh yeah when King dies the estate will probably let them publish every grocery list and half finished outline he ever jotted down, it's going to be terrible.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

It's probably worse than anyone knows.

There's a bit in Bag of Bones where the protagonist (A novelist, naturally) develops a severe and unbreakable case of writer's block. It persists for years, but nobody but himself realizes this, because he just so happens to have a safety deposit box filled with completed but unpublished manuscripts going back decades; books he finished but decided weren't good enough for publication, and sat on. By turning these over to his publisher he maintains the fiction that he's still a successful writer.

I remember reading that and realizing immediately that this detail is almost certainly autobiographical. When Stephen King dies people are going to take a sledgehammer to his walls and find every empty space in his house filled with unpublished novels, like Prince's secret music vault.

and then there's also misery where a pill addicted author is forced to write by a deranged fan

Mat Cauthon posted:

Oh yeah when King dies the estate will probably let them publish every grocery list and half finished outline he ever jotted down, it's going to be terrible.

absolutely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

pidan posted:

Is the book out yet