Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That Works posted:

Second an oscillating tool

Thirded, this looks like the kind of job where one of those is a godsend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

Thirded, this looks like the kind of job where one of those is a godsend.

It's funny, I just happen to have one. It does come in handy in quite a few situations!

I'll report back with results!

E: holy crap, you can get a "blade" to cut a junction box hole in drywall!

cruft fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Dec 8, 2021

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

cruft posted:

I was initially dead set on buying one of those but not all junction boxes are the same size, so I made a little cardboard template for the box sizes I like, then trace it on the wall with a pencil, and then use a "wood" blade to cut through the drywall. It goes through like butter and makes for a perfect hole every time.

The "Metal" blades, while pricey as hell, are great at cutting through nails that hold old metal wall boxes to studs as well.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

cruft posted:

Our oven arrived, finally! It's been in transit for about 12 months. Bosch 800 induction.

:allears:

Just ordered this same model today. Did the dishwasher, range, and microwave. Estimated delivery, April 2022. Probably. Maybe.

:v:

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

FISHMANPET posted:

I don't know what the overall market for electrical is in Everett, but that sounds high to me, coming from the core of a big metro area (Minneapolis). I paid about that for a panel replacement and service upgrade (from 100 amp to 200 amp) and including a new mast pole, and chatting with other people in town, that's about the going rate for that kind of work here in the area. So for just replacing the panel that sounds on the high side (unless "upgrade" also includes upgrading the service).

Everett's the northern part of the Seattle metro area, so not the core but definitely part of a large metro area. We're in Seattle itself and going to have a couple estimates next month for various things and are going to ask about panel upgrading ourselves (100 amp panel currently) and I'm hoping it's not five figures.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
I got a panel move/upgrade/better grounding and a sub panel installed for like $6k in my old-rear end Seattle house, but that was like 6 years ago before it was impossible to get contractors to return your phonecalls, let alone have people and materials to fit you in on a reasonable timescale. $10k definitely sounds high and worth shopping around. I don't know if the company I used (Exact Electric) will beat that, but my experience has been that they will at least call you back, which puts them ahead of a good 80% of electricians around here.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

So the hard wood in the new place has some wear and tear on it and could probably do with being sanded down and completely refinished but I don't have the immediate budget for this. I do plan on having that done in the next 5 years or so but in the mean time is there a protective finish that I can apply over the existing top coat, that doesn't involve sanding, to better protect everything until I get around to a full restore?

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

cruft posted:

Besides the box size issue, the other problem with these is that drywall is very good at dulling OMT blades. No big deal for $5 blades, but spending $50 to only have it last a few uses is crazy.

A roto zip is the fastest way to do it, but also messy and inexact.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I just got an invoice from the HVAC company.

I've been patient and polite but this pisses me off. They never hooked up the electrical, never did the service upgrade, never tested the system to see if it works.

So I politely asked when the installation was going to be finished, and said I was not going to be paying for unfinished work. I already wrote a $16k check, if they want the rest of it, they need to finish the job.

So apparently this is how I act when I'm mad. I write a polite email before I was planning to. LOL.

e: The owner wrote back while I was making this post, apologizing, and saying he was going to get after the subcontractor. Then he apologized again. At least he was polite back.

cruft fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Dec 8, 2021

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

MrYenko posted:

:allears:

Just ordered this same model today. Did the dishwasher, range, and microwave. Estimated delivery, April 2022. Probably. Maybe.
Our appliance dude frankly says that Bosch doesn't tell him anything until the appliance is actually loading onto the ship. He was hoping for December, but now who knows.

This is especially annoying because this is an ADA-compliant dishwasher, which happens to be the only form factor that will actually fit under our cast-stone countertop. It's not as if anybody's going to have that one in stock.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Our appliance dude frankly says that Bosch doesn't tell him anything until the appliance is actually loading onto the ship. He was hoping for December, but now who knows.

This is especially annoying because this is an ADA-compliant dishwasher, which happens to be the only form factor that will actually fit under our cast-stone countertop. It's not as if anybody's going to have that one in stock.

Embrace the PO mindset. Cut a hole in the floor and inset a normal height dishwasher underneath the stone countertop.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

B-Nasty posted:

Besides the box size issue, the other problem with these is that drywall is very good at dulling OMT blades. No big deal for $5 blades, but spending $50 to only have it last a few uses is crazy.

A roto zip is the fastest way to do it, but also messy and inexact.

OMT is such a good way to refer to that. We got tired of trying to figure out an easy way to refer to that tool so we settled on "doofer".

As in, "where did you leave the doofer?" and "why can't you leave the doofer in the same place every time?"

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Vim Fuego posted:

Embrace the PO mindset. Cut a hole in the floor and inset a normal height dishwasher underneath the stone countertop.

What are a few joists between friends, anyway?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

"Builder-grade" floor joists meaning men of taste can remove them at will.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

In the case of this house, it's 90-year-old virgin redwood, and it's difficult enough to drive screws into it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That Works posted:

"Builder-grade" floor joists meaning men of taste can remove them at will.

Females love a well trimmed joist.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Arsenic Lupin posted:

In the case of this house, it's 90-year-old virgin redwood, and it's difficult enough to drive screws into it.

phrasing, I guess

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Rythe posted:

So the hard wood in the new place has some wear and tear on it and could probably do with being sanded down and completely refinished but I don't have the immediate budget for this. I do plan on having that done in the next 5 years or so but in the mean time is there a protective finish that I can apply over the existing top coat, that doesn't involve sanding, to better protect everything until I get around to a full restore?

I know Bona makes a hardwood floor polish that I've heard good things about but I've never personally used it. Nothing is really going to protect or rejuvenate floors that need to be refurnished. You could look into buffing the top coat and adding another coat of urethane, this should be cheaper than a full sand and refinish.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Sirotan posted:

I know Bona makes a hardwood floor polish that I've heard good things about but I've never personally used it. Nothing is really going to protect or rejuvenate floors that need to be refurnished. You could look into buffing the top coat and adding another coat of urethane, this should be cheaper than a full sand and refinish.

Yeah I was hoping there was a simple coating i could apply that could harden the top layer of the material to prevent wear and tear for a few years. I'll take a look at the Bona stuff and the buffing/urethane.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Rythe posted:

Yeah I was hoping there was a simple coating i could apply that could harden the top layer of the material to prevent wear and tear for a few years. I'll take a look at the Bona stuff and the buffing/urethane.

The coating that kept our floors in awesome shape for like 60 years was carpet.

Some strategically placed rugs might do the same job.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
Has anyone had luck painting cheap blonde laminate cabinets? And if so how did you do it?

My house has these cheap pieces of poo poo installed by idiot PO with two brain cells... drawers blocked by the dish washer, half the pulls installed with the wrong hardware, stripped screws, etc. I can probably tighten everything up with proper hardware but I think they look like rear end.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

a dingus posted:

Has anyone had luck painting cheap blonde laminate cabinets? And if so how did you do it?

My house has these cheap pieces of poo poo installed by idiot PO with two brain cells... drawers blocked by the dish washer, half the pulls installed with the wrong hardware, stripped screws, etc. I can probably tighten everything up with proper hardware but I think they look like rear end.

My advice would be to save your money and redo your kitchen when one of the Ikea kitchen events rolls around.

In the mean time, buy some slightly nicer hardware that you don't hate as much.

Painting cabinets is a huge pain in the rear end and difficult to make it look good. I think you would want to use some kind of degreaser to clean them, then probably scuff, prime, and several coats of an enamel paint.

I think I used Sherwin Williams "emerald" paint for my trim and some cabinets in my master bath. I brushed it on and it's okay. I still wouldn't go to the effort of painting an entire kitchen, though.

https://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/products/emerald-urethane-trim-enamel

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

a dingus posted:

I painted my kitchen cabinets this summer. It was a poo poo ton of work, but worth it for us to save the $$. It helped that we removed a bunch of wall cabinets so fewer to paint. I used a degreaser, sanded, wiped with tack cloth and then used brush and foam roller. I used a primer and Benjamin Moore Advanced semi gloss. It’s been a few months and it’s holding up pretty well.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
Thanks. I figured painting might not the worth it. We bought the place pre-pandemic and I keep the cabinets were cheap but I hate them a little more every day. Good to knew Ikea is worth looking at

Edit* I think if painting was semi easy we'd go through and do it, especially if the cabinets were hard wood or decent quality. But if it's as tough as it sounds I probably won't want to sink that kind of effort in when the kitchen should probably just get redone.

a dingus fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Dec 9, 2021

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

a dingus posted:

Thanks. I figured painting might not the worth it. We bought the place pre-pandemic and I keep the cabinets were cheap but I hate them a little more every day. Good to knew Ikea is worth looking at

Edit* I think if painting was semi easy we'd go through and do it, especially if the cabinets were hard wood or decent quality. But if it's as tough as it sounds I probably won't want to sink that kind of effort in when the kitchen should probably just get redone.

Somebody mentioned this in another thread, and I think it's genius. You can buy custom wood doors that fit on Ikea cabinet carcasses. Hey presto, pretty kitchen for cheap! The brand I heard mentioned was Semi Handmade. https://www.semihandmade.com/

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

cruft posted:

I just got an invoice from the HVAC company.

I've been patient and polite but this pisses me off. They never hooked up the electrical, never did the service upgrade, never tested the system to see if it works.

So I politely asked when the installation was going to be finished, and said I was not going to be paying for unfinished work. I already wrote a $16k check, if they want the rest of it, they need to finish the job.

So apparently this is how I act when I'm mad. I write a polite email before I was planning to. LOL.

e: The owner wrote back while I was making this post, apologizing, and saying he was going to get after the subcontractor. Then he apologized again. At least he was polite back.

Good on you.

As a customer-service-oriented drone immersed in property & casualty: Always, always, always be polite. Firm, but polite. Losing your poo poo helps no one. Ask me how I know.

a dingus posted:

If it is wood laminate, and you really want a project:

De-mount the doors, remove all of the hardware. Sand the faces & stiles with 120 to 180-grit.

You can try sanding the door panels but you'll never get into the recesses. Hit 'em with chemical sandpaper...not quite a stripper, but it can set up for paint pretty well.

Prime & paint. Buy the heaviest can of paint you can find, and gloss for cleanability.

You better really be enthusiastic for a project.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Dec 9, 2021

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

A post! A double post! Holy balls!

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

You can use vinyl wrap to update kitchen cabinets as well. Similar to how it’s used on cars. I don’t think it’s a good long term solution but might last a few years and not cost too much.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Always, always go hog wild with spray paint and glue guns.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

FISHMANPET posted:

I'm building an outdoor cat shelter, and I'm going to shingle the roof. It's just a simple shed roof, and if I mess it up horrible and the whole thing rots, the stakes are low. But is this video good basic advice on shingling?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bQPEEtWGKU

I also found this guide that talks about drip edge on the top edge of the roof as well as roofing cement, so my intuition tells me that between these two guides I've got a pretty good chance of roofing my ~10 sqft of roof.

OK, I'm gonna give this a try tonight. It's 30 degrees outside right now, but I'm doing this inside my garage where it's a bit warmer. Nevertheless I'm going to assume that it's going to be below 40 degrees and the sun isn't going to activate the glue on the shingles. Owens Corning recommends putting a little bit of roofing cement under the tabs if you're doing a cold weather application, and I've got roofing cement, but I'm wondering, since it's such a small area, could I just spend a few minutes with a hairdryer to activate the glue strips?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Just leave them be. Unless a real windstorm comes along, they won’t flap and the next full sun (at any ambient temperature) will seal them.

They re-roofed my house almost exactly two years ago. It was under 30-degrees that day.

Full sun will heat a roof at winter temps. That’s how we wind up with ice damming.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Dec 11, 2021

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I was wondering if there are quick fix kits for the kind of copper and PVC plumbing you find in an apartment. Something that might handle a pinhole leak or a crack long enough for a plumber to fix it.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Somebody mentioned this in another thread, and I think it's genius. You can buy custom wood doors that fit on Ikea cabinet carcasses. Hey presto, pretty kitchen for cheap! The brand I heard mentioned was Semi Handmade. https://www.semihandmade.com/

That was me.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Dick Trauma posted:

I was wondering if there are quick fix kits for the kind of copper and PVC plumbing you find in an apartment. Something that might handle a pinhole leak or a crack long enough for a plumber to fix it.

Couple of possibilities. Can't speak for them since I've not used one myself but maybe others can point out any red flags with these.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RectorSeal-Pipe-Repair-Kit-82112/100206252
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Eastman...-313715703-_-N&
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rothenb...-313959480-_-N&

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

NomNomNom posted:

That was me.

Where did you get the hex pendants?

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"

Yep, guess that would be why my lawnmower wouldn't steer anymore

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

NomNomNom posted:

That was me.

I basically have the same kitchen, but I used Voxtorp lowers in "walnut" and white gloss Ringhult upper cabinet doors.

Semi-Handmade and the like have a very cool product but I think the price of "fancier" doors doubled the price of my kitchen build.

I liked the UK company that did Baltic birch doors.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

cruft posted:

The coating that kept our floors in awesome shape for like 60 years was carpet.

Some strategically placed rugs might do the same job.

That's what we plan on doing, going to put down some decorative carpets in the high traffic areas and still be able to show off the hardwood. Not sure what I want to do in the kitchen though.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

falz posted:

Where did you get the hex pendants?

They're from West Elm.

My wife wanted the $600 pendants from Schoolhouse Electric but welp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

MetaJew posted:

I basically have the same kitchen, but I used Voxtorp lowers in "walnut" and white gloss Ringhult upper cabinet doors.

Semi-Handmade and the like have a very cool product but I think the price of "fancier" doors doubled the price of my kitchen build.

I liked the UK company that did Baltic birch doors.

We almost went with the ikea faux walnut. The SHM look nice, but yeah I'm not sure the additional hassle was worth it (they messed up our order and sent the wrong huge panel that goes next to the fridge. Their customer service was great but it still delayed the whole kitchen by a few weeks)