Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

This Thanksgiving I learned my wife's family has some tenuous claim to William the Conquerer and Charlemagne, of all people.

Here I am a Catholic Polack just the descendant of potato eaters.
You have a non-trivial chance of being descended from Genghis Khan in your turn, and I think that guy had a higher score.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
My family’s claim to fame is we’re related to a signer of the Declaration of Independence.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

This Thanksgiving I learned my wife's family has some tenuous claim to William the Conquerer and Charlemagne, of all people.

Unless they're the sort of people who have serious genealogical research done back through the high medieval period (i.e. they're no bullshit nobility) - I seriously, seriously doubt it.

I mean, family myths are fun and all but that's pretty much what they are. Doubly so for anything connected to someone famous like Charlemagne or one of the Founding Fathers. That's the kind of thing that gets built on and expanded on and becomes family lore based off of some great-great-great-great-great-great-etc. grandparent trying to burnish the family image for some reason, and then generations of kids accepting it at face value because that's what their grandma said. It's not impossible, but for every one where it's tracible there's a dozen that aren't.

My family's no different, fwiw. I've got a few cousins who think I'm an rear end in a top hat because I did the legwork and figured out that, no, that famous person is of no relation to us.

And man they were NOT happy with my revelation about what the origin of the "Cherokee princess" grandma insisted her grandma told her her grandma told her we had a relation to was.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
my ancestry is I'm a registered quarterhorse

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Speaking of religion and Hollow Earth, a couple years back I visited a utopian commune in Florida that existed from 1894-1961. They were led by a Dr. Cyrus Teed who invented Koreshanity. A major belief of theirs was that the universe is actually a concave sphere and we on Earth are sort of on the perimeter. There were lots of scientific experiments they performed involving bridges and stuff that reminded me a lot of Flat Earth experiments, and they had to use convulted logic like that the sun we see is a reflection from light coming from the center of the universe and the real sun that heats the Earth is a giant invisible electromagnetic battery.

Ah, the Koreshan unity settlement. I have this book called Weird Florida that goes into some detail. It was some contraption he called the "rectilineator" that supposedly projected a line from a beach into the ocean; they had to reconstruct the drat thing over and over until it met the ocean just where he said it would :byodood: This theory was so intriguing to Hitler that he had his scientists look into it, hoping that they could spy on the U.S. by pointing a big telescope up.

Re: family lineages - My dad always told me "never go back to Greece" because apparently his grandfather - who emigrated in 1916 - was part of a family that owned a shitton of land on Mykonos. His assertion was that if I ever went back, I would be killed to end the lineage or something :jerkbag:

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i prefer to refer to charlemagne as "carl the gross" and i hope it catches on, please join me.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

My ancestory knowledge goes only as far as a relative who was a stowaway and came to America illegally. Interestingly, my dad is hyper-conservative and VERY anti-immigrant, but somehow still proud of how our family came to America.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

One of my great-grandpas had to flee the Black and Tans (or, at least, felt he had to) and that's the only meaningful participation in this century's wars in my family. My grandparents were either too sickly or too "actually born in 1933" to participate in the big one.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Earwicker posted:

i prefer to refer to charlemagne as "carl the gross" and i hope it catches on, please join me.

Charles the Large.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Big Chuck

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Oh yeah? Well I'm a direct female-line descendant of Mitochondrial Eve, a line going back some 200,000 years. :smug: (Oh course, so is absolutely everyone, since that's kind of how the term is defined, but hey, I'll take my braggadocio where I can get it.)

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Earwicker posted:

My preferred is Chuck the Large

edit: teach me to not read the rest of the replies in a thread full of dorks :negative:

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Cyrus Teed was who I was thinking of! I remember him from the Big Book Of Bad

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I'm Menno Simons.

Descended from. Is what I meant. I'm certainly not an immortal pacifist vampire or anything.

(As far as I know I have no famous ancestors)

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

I'd mention the dead person I'm tangentially related to but, then Goons would know my last name.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Unless they're the sort of people who have serious genealogical research done back through the high medieval period (i.e. they're no bullshit nobility) - I seriously, seriously doubt it.

One of the mathematical quirks of genealogy is that if a person in the sufficiently distant past has any living descendants, everybody is their descendant. That point is probably back in the neolithic, but people in surprisingly recent history can have a high percentage of the modern global population in their progeny. The most recent common ancestor of all humans was plausibly some random couple as recently as the days of the Roman Republic (although they would not have been Romans themselves, probably east Asians).

This works in your favor if you'd like to have bragging rights about a cool Nth-great grandfather. Just twenty generations back you have a million ancestors (although of course not all of them are different people). Some of 'em are bound to be famous or at least have famous descendants. It's therefore often surprisingly easy to do a little bit of genealogy and find yourself traced to some well-known folks. Actually verifying it isn't too bad, you just have to trace back far enough to hit somebody who has a descendant who is really into genealogy and already put all their work on the internet. Typically this won't be much farther than great grandparents.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Mr. Wiggles posted:

It's not even weird historical trivia so much as it's part and parsel of victorian "historians" being really in to racial theory and other non-scientific means of justifying colonialism. Proto-nazi poo poo is what this is.

The whole American animals are degenerate thing is funny in retrospect. Did you know at least one president measured the distances between anus and vulva of various North American animals in a official capacity because of it.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Thirteen Orphans posted:

My family’s claim to fame is we’re related to a signer of the Declaration of Independence.

My family tree has the Floyd’s in it. When was younger I met my great grandmother who was his niece and knew all the big gangsters.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Fritz the Horse posted:

my ancestry is I'm a registered quarterhorse

Here I thought you were a whole horse :o

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

My contribution to ancestor chat. TW: ridiculous ancestor worship, possible syncretism, possible violation of Deuteronomy 18:10-11

https://twitter.com/lakewitchhouse/status/1468758590974570496?t=2M5J7ay8dlC0qnnmnKjsNA&s=19

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Cyrano4747 posted:

You're probably right, the person who told me can without a doubt prove ancestry all the way back to the pilgrims, I think it was in that person's diary where they claimed ole' Charles. But that's where their research has stopped, for now at least.

Cool story though.

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
I have the personal stories about my great-great-grandmother. As in stuff that happened to her. Too bad the stories that are remembered are about the bad stuff that happened and desperate survival?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

my mother is obsessed with genealogy but happily she is not the type of person who would go looking for claims of nobility or being descended from famous people etc. but i did find out that i had a great great uncle named "ples" who was a bootlegger that died in a shootout with cops on a riverboat in alabama and imo thats just as cool as anything charlemagne ever did

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Earwicker posted:

my mother is obsessed with genealogy but happily she is not the type of person who would go looking for claims of nobility or being descended from famous people etc. but i did find out that i had a great great uncle named "ples" who was a bootlegger that died in a shootout with cops on a riverboat in alabama and imo thats just as cool as anything charlemagne ever did

That's awesome. Sometimes you'll see people get really upset when an ancestor is revealed to be a criminal and I can't help thinking, as long as it's not someone I know personally - so I'm sideswiped that I didn't know this about them - that's all interesting and nothing to feel ashamed about.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

HopperUK posted:

That's awesome. Sometimes you'll see people get really upset when an ancestor is revealed to be a criminal and I can't help thinking, as long as it's not someone I know personally - so I'm sideswiped that I didn't know this about them - that's all interesting and nothing to feel ashamed about.
I would be moderately displeased if the branch of my family that went through Athens GA had held slaves, but as far as I could tell, they just made musical instruments. But it wouldn't be like clothes-rending guilt. I might make a donation to a charity in the area when it came to be charity givin' time.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

HopperUK posted:

3/4 of my ancestors are boring farmers - Germans who settled in Iowa or Mennonites who settled in Pennsylvania (then moved to Canada to remain British subjects after the American Revolution). One grandmother was descended from William and Mary Brewster, of the Mayflower.

So I could join the Mayflower Society if only I were a pretentious twit.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
My case is being presented to the council of elders at the monastery to determine whether or not I will be admitted. I have to be upfront and honest, I NEVER thought it would get this far. I'm good company and polite so I knew the visits would go well, but they know about my medical history now, a lot about my medical history, and the vocations director is still saying things like "after the presentation we'll have you come up in January..." Pray for me, that God's Will be done, whatever that may be. Also, God bless all of you who have been so supportive, it's made a discernible difference in how I have approached all this.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Good luck, TO! Thinking of you :)

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Everything that needs to happen, will happen. You rock, TO, let us know where you go so we can send letters and cookies!

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

All the good thoughts to you! I hope you find the path you're seeing on your journey. Keep us updated, I'm excited that you're going in a direction you've been longing for.

Aside from that, are there any Hindus here? I'd love to talk to someone in the faith because I'm finding myself drawn to it the older I get. I grew up Catholic, ended up with a Taoist lifestyle, but I've always wanted to know more about Hinduism. Something about it feels right to me but I don't know where to start besides reading everything I can. I'd like to visit a temple but I don't know how a random white gal walking in would be received. I'm curious and I want to be as respectful as possible.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Scathach posted:

Aside from that, are there any Hindus here? I'd love to talk to someone in the faith because I'm finding myself drawn to it the older I get. I grew up Catholic, ended up with a Taoist lifestyle, but I've always wanted to know more about Hinduism. Something about it feels right to me but I don't know where to start besides reading everything I can. I'd like to visit a temple but I don't know how a random white gal walking in would be received. I'm curious and I want to be as respectful as possible.

Paging GreyjoyBastard. Paging GreyjoyBastard, you have a call on line Hindu.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Scathach posted:

All the good thoughts to you! I hope you find the path you're seeing on your journey. Keep us updated, I'm excited that you're going in a direction you've been longing for.

I'm a total weirdo even by Hinduism standards, but let's get started:

do you have a particular deity you're interested in, or is it more of a "there are lots of interesting deities and also I like the idea of this particular subset"?

I pass no judgement in either case.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Kali has interested me for a long time, as images of her seem to pop up around me every time I'm having massive changes in my life or forging a path I don't necessarily try for/want until I realized I'm going the right way. And there are a lot of other deities/pieces of god I'd love to know. I've always had a belief in reincarnation, karma, and doing good for good. When I did my yoga teacher training I started reading the Bhagavad Gita.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

My former boss was a great fan of Kali. My more recent former boss was more about Ganesha. I like him, he seems loveable, though admittedly that might just be the elephant.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Ganesh has always seemed to be very cool to me, a calming presence. I feel like I have about a thousand questions about Hinduism and will probably just keep piling them on the more I learn. I'm excited.

I should add, I've long considered myself a Taoist as far as the philosophy goes, but I suppose the general way to go about life is similar. Just seems the Hinduism is what I've been looking for.

Scathach fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Dec 16, 2021

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Hello. During the pandemic I discovered I am Hindu. I still also consider myself to be a zen practitioner. I guess they can go hand-in-hand. I learned about advaita vedanta which caused me to realize this is what I have always believed. I discovered Hinduism via Ram Dass and then started reading as much as I could about Neem Karoli Baba. This stuff wholly speaks to me.

Do you have any recommendations on a version of the Gita? I bought a copy at the local bookstore but it is by the guru who established the Hare Krishna, which, while I love the Great Mantra and sing it daily I think this version has been catered to that specific line of thinking.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Hi thread. Pope Francis has ended Traditional Catholicism today. Lots of folks would be appreciating your prayers.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Worthleast posted:

Hi thread. Pope Francis has ended Traditional Catholicism today. Lots of folks would be appreciating your prayers.

Wait, it has? What happened?

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Freudian posted:

Wait, it has? What happened?

glancing at headlines, looks like more restrictions/crackdown on traditional Latin Mass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Fritz the Horse posted:

glancing at headlines, looks like more restrictions/crackdown on traditional Latin Mass

More than just the Mass, now also the Ritual and Pontifical. So no more traditional rites for priestly ordination, confession, baptism, etc. Places where it is still permitted are temporarily tolerated with restrictions on growth, down to the detail of forbidding publishing Mass time in a parish bulletin.

SSPX will continue as always since we have our own bishops and don’t mind penalties, but all the other trad orders will be facing really tough decisions.