Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

rand's usage of balefire was in fact the completely appropriate amount of balefire

always be balefiring is my motto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

SerSpook posted:

rand's usage of balefire was in fact the completely appropriate amount of balefire

always be balefiring is my motto

Always
Be
CBalefiring

Also if you can't balefire things, why did natrims barrow get balefired?

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Gnoman posted:

Sanderson's said that he believed this was the case until Jordan told him directly that he was wrong.

Huh yeah I never knew this until now either. Makes the taboo of using it kind of weird then.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

A Always
B Balefire
C Chumps

Who is a chump? Anyone who gets balefired!

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

CainFortea posted:

Always
Be
CBalefiring

Also if you can't balefire things, why did natrims barrow get balefired?

I'm gonna balefire this post to spare you the embarrassment

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

A Always
B Balefire
C Chumps

Who is a chump? Anyone who gets balefired!

:hai:

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

MegaZeroX posted:

Huh yeah I never knew this until now either. Makes the taboo of using it kind of weird then.

Well no, because too much balefire still fucks up the pattern. Although since that's the Dark One's entire goal, why not get your minions to balefire the poo poo out of everything?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

MegaZeroX posted:

the taboo is because it straight up tears apart reality

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

How does balefire even work. Its explained that it erases it from the pattern and then travels back in time to erase what was done. I dunno the description is really weird and Rand just uses it all the goddamn time.

Imagine putting a flame to the middle of a length of thread. It severs the thread and the flame, depending on its intensity, burns the thread away up its length in either direction.

Ever tried putting a lighter against a sock and watching all the fuzz burn off? You might only really damage one or two threads, but the effect spreads and erases the surrounding chaff. Do it enough times, though, and the sock itself will char, burn, or tear.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

CainFortea posted:

Well no, because too much balefire still fucks up the pattern. Although since that's the Dark One's entire goal, why not get your minions to balefire the poo poo out of everything?

Most of the minions are under the impression they're just out to conquer the world and rule reality. Its only really Ishamael who's on the same page as TDO in the books.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Zore posted:

Most of the minions are under the impression they're just out to conquer the world and rule reality. Its only really Ishamael who's on the same page as TDO in the books.

Actually even he is wrong. He wants oblivion, that's not what the dark one is after.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Barreft posted:

I'm pretty sure it's been revealed only like 300 pages were fully written, and the rest Sanderson had to write it all in. I know Ghenji/Verin Sedai/most of Egwene in TGS/and some of the prologues + RJ's quick ending were all written.

Brandon wrote far more of the whole 3 books then people think.

e: But it's not like RJ didn't write:

Stephen King's excuse is cocaine.

What was RJ on?

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

CainFortea posted:

I think (from memory of the books and sort of just random thoughts) that balefire won't necessarily break the Wheel. Enough balefire will cause the Pattern to unravel (locally or entirely), but the Wheel will re-weave a new Pattern. I think Moiraine warns Rand that too much balefire and he may find that the Pattern will weave him out of being the DR or set the Dark One free. That might seem great for the Dark One, but it doesn't cause the annihilation of the Wheel itself which is his true goal. For some reason, the Dragon alone can do that.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
I'm re-reading the books for the first time since I stopped in the 90's. I'm on book 5 and it's starting to become a slog, but I know it gets better so I'm soldiering on.

I was wondering if anyone knew about Rand's powers at the end of the story. Is his power a unique occurrence in the history of the wheel or something that has occurred before? There seems to be zero info about it, just leaving it open for speculation.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
IMO precision balefiring of bad guys is fine but using it to slice a city in half at belly button height is not fine.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

withak posted:

IMO precision balefiring of bad guys is fine but using it to slice a city in half at belly button height is not fine.

no amount of balefire is too much balefire

need to turn on the light? balefire whoever turned off the light last, until the light was never turned off

this is the al'thor creed

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

CainFortea posted:

I don't even have any great enemies and i'd love to balefire some poo poo.

Got a sliver? Balefire that chunk of wood. No sliver.

Balefire mosquitos out of existence

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

To be fair to Rand, any of the Forsaken he doesn't balefire keeps coming back. It's when you switch the balefire mode from "precision sniper weapon" to WMD that things get dicey.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

The best part about balefire is that it proves the Forsaken were never really in it to help the Dark One destroy the world (except my main man Moridin) but just kinda made up some poo poo to string him along.

12 year old me could never figure out why the Dark One didn't order the Forsaken and Dreadlords to just balefire everything, all the time, until the Pattern collapsed.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Umbra Dubium posted:

Stephen King's excuse is cocaine.

What was RJ on?

Horny

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

The best part about balefire is that it proves the Forsaken were never really in it to help the Dark One destroy the world (except my main man Moridin) but just kinda made up some poo poo to string him along.

12 year old me could never figure out why the Dark One didn't order the Forsaken and Dreadlords to just balefire everything, all the time, until the Pattern collapsed.

Other way around. TDO promised them immortality and rule, none of them worked out that that was never on the table because they were just too selfish and greedy.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Few possible gang tags submitted for feedback:

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

i think the gang tags need more balefire tbh

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

SerSpook posted:

i think the gang tags need more balefire tbh

I'm waiting until the end of the season before making more, I need more raw material

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yeah I don't get Moridins deal because it seems like he's connected to the true source and just using it all the time which I guess is different from saidin and saidar , but I dunno I have the feeling he's a forsaken , but they haven't revealed who he actually is.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Hamelekim posted:

I'm re-reading the books for the first time since I stopped in the 90's. I'm on book 5 and it's starting to become a slog, but I know it gets better so I'm soldiering on.

I was wondering if anyone knew about Rand's powers at the end of the story. Is his power a unique occurrence in the history of the wheel or something that has occurred before? There seems to be zero info about it, just leaving it open for speculation.

It's treated as a sort of "reward" for being the Dragon. Everything else they have to do sucks and is horrible, so they get to not have to worry about the little stuff anymore. They never go into it as the books end, so that's how I saw it even if it's never fully explained.

There's a lot of theories about the woman Aviendha meets on her second trip to Rhuidean, and one is that she has similar powers.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

Hollismason posted:

Yeah I don't get Moridins deal because it seems like he's connected to the true source and just using it all the time which I guess is different from saidin and saidar , but I dunno I have the feeling he's a forsaken , but they haven't revealed who he actually is.

it is kind of annoying that there's a magic system referred to as The One Power for several books and then it turns out to be a misnomer because there's Another Power

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

it is kind of annoying that there's a magic system referred to as The One Power for several books and then it turns out to be a misnomer because there's Another Power

that other power is actually the true power as well and the other one is fake

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

SerSpook posted:

that other power is actually the true power as well and the other one is fake

And also the One Power comes from the True Source.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Pleads posted:

And also the One Power comes from the True Source.

And the True Power comes from The Taint

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

hehehehehehe

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

CainFortea posted:

lol

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

CainFortea posted:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

CainFortea posted:

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

It's a little like this.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Reading Path of Daggers and something is definitely up with the Green Aes Sedai Verin. She's using some sort of weird compulsion thing on other Aes Sedai.

I'm only 2 chapters into Path of Daggers.

They need to hurry up and get to Mat because seriously.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Hollismason posted:

Reading Path of Daggers and something is definitely up with the Green Aes Sedai Verin. She's using some sort of weird compulsion thing on other Aes Sedai.

I'm only 2 chapters into Path of Daggers.

They need to hurry up and get to Mat because seriously.

Verin's a Brown Aes Sedai. Practically the only one who gets significant page time, in fact.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

jng2058 posted:

Verin's a Brown Aes Sedai. Practically the only one who gets significant page time, in fact.

Well something is definitely up with her since she is using weird compulsions on Aes Sedai. I keep forgetting she is Brown Aja.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Balefire is my best friend y'all. I love Balefire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

CainFortea posted:

New thread title plz.