Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I still do that? Have you seen the videos of people licking things in supermarkets? Or people who are walking and eating ice cream while shopping and licking their fingers and then touching vegetables and smelling them and then putting them back on the shelf and *runs off and washes hands*

I highly doubt there is a grocery store item licking epidemic.

TikTok doesn't represent everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
how am i supposed to tell if the apples are fresh if i dont lick them??

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I saw someone drop a potato from the basket onto the floor at a supermarket a few weeks ago. You know the floor where hundreds or thousands of people's filthy shoes walk every day? He just picked it up and put it right back into the basket. Which is what I imagine most people would do. A shockingly large number of people don't wash their hands after going to the toilet.

That is why you always wash your fruit and vegetables before you eat them.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
E: I was trying to quote a few people and I haven't got the energy.

I'm in Florida, they said you don't even need insurance to get regeneron for free here.
You don't even need covid! I asked about my fiancee and they said she should make an appointment too, as she's been exposed, despite no symptoms or positive test yet.

I was really sick yesterday with a fever of 102.5, but now I'm down to feeling like I have a cold with a persistent cough.
I used to have athsma as a child so I know full well that getting cocky and assuming I'll be fine in 2 days could end up being weeks of a cough and then serious lung problems. I didn't say this to get the appointment, but I had pneumonia in my teens so I'm going to take whatever is available.
I didn't have to ask, when they called me with the positive test results they offered it.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

you might not have to pay for it, but the hospital or clinic is billing someone out the rear end to administer it :patriot:

edit: good luck though!

Bad Purchase fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Dec 9, 2021

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Fair!
If it turns out nobody here has had it, I'll come back to do a trip report of what to expect. I fuckin hate needles and I know there will be at least 1.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Just interesting how different it is in different areas. The sheet they gave my wife when she tested positive a few weeks ago just gave typical OTC cold symptoms treatments, and said “if you feel worse, come in” and “if you have shortness of breath, go to the ER.” This is with very high vaccination rates in a Northeast state.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Fwiw that is not necessarily because they're better prepared in Florida, it's because they don't have the hospital space. If they took a "wait and see" approach, they wouldn't be able to admit you or treat you. Regeneron is being administered so widely and haphazardly because it's positioned as an alternative to vaccination.

e: by all means get it, though!

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Dec 9, 2021

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I'm still not entirely sure it even does anything

But also 90% of the people who get it in Florida are probably 2 weeks past the point they should've recognized that covid is real and started it

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

I kind of hope covid hangs around forever because it's a great excuse for skipping the work christmas party which they are definitely having this year.

You need a global pandemic to skip that poo poo?

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
the antibody treatments are great but you have to start them really early, idk how effective they are if you're already a couple days into symptoms

definitely get it though, can't hurt, will do some good

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Fritz the Horse posted:

the antibody treatments are great but you have to start them really early, idk how effective they are if you're already a couple days into symptoms

definitely get it though, can't hurt, will do some good

TBF the needle will definitely hurt.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I've skipped every loving work holiday party at the same job for 9 years. Spending even more time with people I saw 5 days a loving week over my partner/friends was a laughable option to me.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

MarcusSA posted:

TBF the needle will definitely hurt.

I've had a central line IV (larger than normal needle in the jugular in your neck) so I might be desensitized to that.

would be curious about their experience though, I don't recall any goon posting about what getting antibody therapy is like

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Fritz the Horse posted:

I've had a central line IV (larger than normal needle in the jugular in your neck) so I might be desensitized to that.

would be curious about their experience though, I don't recall any goon posting about what getting antibody therapy is like

I just shivered a little reading that.

gently caress... that poo poo...

Yeah I'm actually curious how the treatment goes as well. You are right I don't think anyone has actually had it yet.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

MarcusSA posted:

I just shivered a little reading that.

gently caress... that poo poo...

Yeah I'm actually curious how the treatment goes as well. You are right I don't think anyone has actually had it yet.

I might post a couple paragraphs about my hospitalization sometime. I was in for 10 days with really bad pneumonia in Feb 2020, not COVID. Three days on a ventilator. Probably a pretty similar experience to if I'd gotten severe COVID and "almost died from pneumonia" definitely was an incentive to not get COVID the last couple years.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I saw someone drop a potato from the basket onto the floor at a supermarket a few weeks ago. You know the floor where hundreds or thousands of people's filthy shoes walk every day? He just picked it up and put it right back into the basket. Which is what I imagine most people would do. A shockingly large number of people don't wash their hands after going to the toilet.

Yeah, some people don’t lick sidewalks because they’re not particularly tasty

I’m going to continue washing my fruit thank you, there’s plenty more bugs than Covid out there

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

cubicle gangster posted:

I got covid on Saturday - double vaccinated but hadn't had the booster yet - not been too sick but I'm booked in for regeneron tomorrow.
Anyone had it, what's the actual experience like? I'm booked in for a 2 hour window and don't know if I need to brace myself for extreme discomfort or feeling poo poo afterwards or what.

I did a month ago. I felt tired that night but nothing else.

e:

Bad Purchase posted:

^ if i remember right, antibodies and antivirals are more likely to help if you administer them before the infection is severe. if you're already a couple days away from a ventilator it's too late. so it's probably a "better safe than sorry" thing with maybe some "we're gonna make a lot from your insurance" added in. that's my guess anyway, without knowing the situation.

Yes it needs to be within the first seven days iirc. In my case, I'm a healthy 36yo but I do have chronic asthma so it was a better safe than sorry scenario. I do still have a very mild occasional cough and a few asthma flare ups a month later so who knows if it would have been worse without.

It's going to be a little more than $800 out of pocket for everything, saline drop, doctor visit, CT scan etc. I think the medicine itself it technically free.

brugroffil fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Dec 9, 2021

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

brugroffil posted:

It's going to be a little more than $800 out of pocket for everything, saline drop, doctor visit, CT scan etc. I think the medicine itself it technically free.

What state are you in? I was told it's totally free even if I don't have insurance in Florida.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Bad Purchase posted:

I agree deaths are underreported by quite a bit, and the 17 M number is pretty believable. I'm not so sure about the 1.9% rate though.

The problem with the mortality analysis you linked is that it is only counting observed cases. The math on that page is just deaths divided by positives. Mild and asymptomatic cases often don't get tested, so that skews the ratio too high (and in most countries probably by a much larger amount than deaths go underreported, because it's much easier to ignore a mild covid case than a corpse). I don't have the link handy anymore sadly, but the 0.5% number that I often use as a ballpark was from a pair of mid-2020 papers that used data from a dozen or so towns in Germany, Italy, and a couple other places that had big outbreaks and included antibody screening in addition to counting positive tests among the participants, which allowed them to account for asymptomatic / untested cases. The rates in the towns were different, but most were in the 0.5% to low 1% range, and the assumption was that the lower end was more likely to be true because their approach was still likely to be undercounting cases. The same is true for that Johns Hopkins page -- the more widely a country tests, the closer it will get to the true fatality rate and the lower the rate will get (until you cross a threshold where the fraction of unreported deaths exceeds the fraction of untested cases somehow).

Of course, demographics always come into play, so it's impossible to just give one number that's accurate everywhere. But I do think it's likely that the mortality has gone up over time with newer variants, I just don't know by how much. I could easily believe it's more like 1% now for someone without a vaccine or prior infection. There's probably good data out there that comes from population screening and tracking rather than just positive tests, but I haven't gone looking in since last year.

In the end, even if your numbers are right (17 million deaths and 1.9% rate), that would work out to about 900M total cases, so my napkin math range of 1-2 billion total cases was still not that far off.

This is why the the rate of deaths are reported as CFR (case fatality rate, using the number of confirmed infections) and IFR (infection fatality rate, using an estimation of the actual number of infections). IFR is obviously the more useful rate to know but estimates on the number of actual infections and actual deaths often vary wildly so it's usually going to be written as a guesstimated range of values with a guesstimated certainty. CFR is obviously always going to be higher than the actual rate of death but it's based on verifiable real world data so they can just spit out a single number which is often easier for the general public to digest.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

cubicle gangster posted:

What state are you in? I was told it's totally free even if I don't have insurance in Florida.

Illinois. Florida is very much antibodies over vaccines so they may have different programs.

The actual antibody treatment cost nothing. It's all the other tests, the saline drip, doctor visit, and immediate care room usage that added up.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Yeah the Regeneron push down in Florida was strongly connected to their anti-vax-mandate/"the cure can't be worse then the disease" approach to the pandemic where they downplayed vaccines and overplayed therapeutics, setting up Regeneron clinics all over the state in places like municipal libraries. Plus it turned out that one of Gov DeSantis' major sponsors was heavily invested in Regeneron .....

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Good news, they realised there was an ongoing problem and it has now been FIXED

https://twitter.com/RobertANJax/status/1428514053324947461

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
My Little ICU Story, or "why you really don't want to end up on a vent"

There are some lighthearted/funny bits to this but it's mostly pretty grim. I'll spoiler the description of the central line IV in case posters don't wanna hear about big needles. I didn't have COVID, but it's pretty similar to what would've happened if I had.

End of December 2019 I was moderately sick with pneumonia. Cough, mild fever, exhaustion. I wasn't taking very good care of myself--stressed, not eating well, not sleeping well. I kept going to work when I probably shouldn't have since I wasn't that sick (or so I thought). About a week in I felt like I was doing better, had some relief from symptoms. Then one Tuesday at work, I started feeling flush and warm. I got home from work, took my temperature, it's 103F. I tell my parents who live nearby that I'm going to take some tylenol and lay down, I'm over the worst of the pneumonia and I'll probably be better in the morning. Half an hour later they show up at my front door and insist they're taking me to the ER. That saved my life. I was entering septic shock and acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS). Within about three hours my blood pressure had dropped to something like 80/40 and I was in an ambulance headed to the larger regional hospital.

When your blood pressure crashes like that, they put you on pressors to bring it back up. Pressors are very hard on your veins, so once I got to the ER at the big hospital they put in a central line IV which makes the pressors less rough on your veins. A central line IV is a larger-bore IV needle that's inserted into the jugular vein in your neck. Warning: description of big needle in neck: I keenly remember the surgeon tilting the bed back so my head was lower than the rest of my body. "You're going to hate me after this" he said, calmly. To install the central line the surgeon uses a handheld ultrasound to guide the needle. I remember small pricks as he administered local anesthetic to deaden my neck, the cool ultrasound gel and then a dull pain. It took maybe thirty seconds of dull pain to guide the needle into place in my neck. Mostly I remember the pressure, I could feel it pushing in.

Then I was wheeled off to the ICU. They said I'd need to go on a ventilator because my lungs were filling with fluid and my blood oxygen was at 80% which is very bad. I don't remember anything between that and when I woke up three days later. Every day they bring you just short of consciousness, ask you how you're feeling. I don't remember any of this, but apparently they could barely keep me sedated and I was a huge smartass. A male nurse asked me how I was feeling one day when the sedation was reduced and apparently I scrawled on the little marker board "great dude wanna grab a brewski?" I also apparently kept writing notes asking how my students were doing and wanting to know if they'd gotten their assignments.

When I woke up, the breathing tube was still in. Over the next few days it was a bit of a "game" as tubes were removed from me. A small celebration every time there was one less tube. When I woke up I had:
-breathing tube (can't talk)
-feeding tube
-oxygen tube in nose
-central IV in neck
-urinary catheter
-IV in one wrist
-arterial blood line to monitor blood pressure and oxygen

The breathing tube came out first. The nurse told me "when I remove this, try not to talk too much for a while, you'll be a little hoarse." Me, after tube removed, speaking for the first time in several days: "could I be a big horse??" I was on oxygen the rest of the time. They stepped my flow down slowly. I remember several times struggling to breathe as they gradually weaned me off.

All of that wasn't so bad. The recovery after coming off the vent was much, much worse. It turned out I had both a viral pneumonia (HKU1 coronavirus) and bacterial (strep) at the same time and I'd ended up really sick from not taking care of myself. I was on antibiotics as well as steroids (prednisone) to reduce inflammation and lemme tell you, gently caress high dose steroids. I had to deal with both steroid psychosis and six weeks of slow withdrawal and tapering.

Steroids make you feel amazing, on top of the world. You also can't sleep. So here I was coming off three days on the vent during which I didn't really actually sleep. I was manic. I felt amazing! I couldn't sleep. I was awake for more than 24 hours straight after coming off the vent. They gave me Ambien, didn't help me sleep, I just had visual hallucinations for six hours. Then the psychosis came. I started hallucinating extended conversations between three nurses just outside my hospital room door. They were plotting to kill me in my sleep. These auditory hallucinations were so realistic I was absolutely convinced I was going to be murdered by nurses. I couldn't sleep because the shadows were nurses surrounding me in my bed and talking about how to kill me and get away with it. Eventually I did manage to sleep, but the doctors were concerned I might have brain damage so I went for an MRI. It turned out I was mostly fine, but I had suffered a very very minor stroke (the tiniest stroke the neurologist had ever seen) when I was on the ventilator, which is common. It's very easy to get a small clot in your legs when you're sedated and have it shoot up into your brain.

A week after coming off the vent I went home. I had to slowly taper off of the steroids over six weeks because of the withdrawal. I had deep fatigue, but also trouble sleeping. The joint pain was the worst. My knees ached so badly I couldn't walk. Two nights I tapered my dose too quickly and I laid there awake all night literally screaming and sobbing because every joint in my body was on fire. I was puffy from water retention.

Eventually I got off the steroids. It took me another couple months to regain full mobility, I was using a walker for a few weeks then very slowly managed to walk normally.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

naem posted:

serfdom ended in part due to lack of labor when people died

treat the people who farm your land badly and they’d pack up and go elsewhere

they even had to pay them money

Wow it's like the nationwide teacher shortage

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Fritz the Horse posted:

So you don’t recommend it, I guess?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

This is why the the rate of deaths are reported as CFR (case fatality rate, using the number of confirmed infections) and IFR (infection fatality rate, using an estimation of the actual number of infections).

Yes, thanks for making that clarification. That's a much more succinct way to get at the difference between the estimated number I was using (which I admit was likely too low for 2021) and the CFR data in that Johns Hopkins link I replied about.

edit: just read the hoarse/horse story :stonk:

Bad Purchase fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Dec 9, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

So where did Sweden gently caress up? Masks, and the elderly care. By not making sure staff at homes for the elderly had access to proper protective gear (N95/FFP2 respirators or even surgical masks, nor face shields)

It’s weird that even now, the line isn’t FFP3. It’s what’s indicated for SARS, and the only reason SARS‐CoV‐2 has ever been treated as less airborne or less contagious is that it would be inconvenient to treat it otherwise.

It was one thing when it was incredibly difficult to get PPE, but now that N95s are about fifty cents apiece again, and I can only assume that FFP3 are not much above that*, it’s time to treat it with the severity it deserves.

That’s for aged care homes, anyway. I won’t criticize anyone for wearing FFP2 on their own time. I understand that FFP3 is rare at retail. I’m just saying that regulators could do better.

*To the extent the standards are directly comparable, N95 sort of FFP2½. The filtration media is at a minimum of FFP2 grade, but the fit standard is more like FFP3. Lots of products are actually made to dual standards, just printed and marketed differently.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Fritz the Horse posted:

There are some lighthearted/funny bits to this but it's mostly pretty grim. I'll spoiler the description of the central line IV in case posters don't wanna hear about big needles. I didn't have COVID, but it's pretty similar to what would've happened if I had.

End of December 2019 I was moderately sick with pneumonia. Cough, mild fever, exhaustion. I wasn't taking very good care of myself--stressed, not eating well, not sleeping well. I kept going to work when I probably shouldn't have since I wasn't that sick (or so I thought). About a week in I felt like I was doing better, had some relief from symptoms. Then one Tuesday at work, I started feeling flush and warm. I got home from work, took my temperature, it's 103F. I tell my parents who live nearby that I'm going to take some tylenol and lay down, I'm over the worst of the pneumonia and I'll probably be better in the morning. Half an hour later they show up at my front door and insist they're taking me to the ER. That saved my life. I was entering septic shock and acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS). Within about three hours my blood pressure had dropped to something like 80/40 and I was in an ambulance headed to the larger regional hospital.

When your blood pressure crashes like that, they put you on pressors to bring it back up. Pressors are very hard on your veins, so once I got to the ER at the big hospital they put in a central line IV which makes the pressors less rough on your veins. A central line IV is a larger-bore IV needle that's inserted into the jugular vein in your neck. Warning: description of big needle in neck: I keenly remember the surgeon tilting the bed back so my head was lower than the rest of my body. "You're going to hate me after this" he said, calmly. To install the central line the surgeon uses a handheld ultrasound to guide the needle. I remember small pricks as he administered local anesthetic to deaden my neck, the cool ultrasound gel and then a dull pain. It took maybe thirty seconds of dull pain to guide the needle into place in my neck. Mostly I remember the pressure, I could feel it pushing in.

Then I was wheeled off to the ICU. They said I'd need to go on a ventilator because my lungs were filling with fluid and my blood oxygen was at 80% which is very bad. I don't remember anything between that and when I woke up three days later. Every day they bring you just short of consciousness, ask you how you're feeling. I don't remember any of this, but apparently they could barely keep me sedated and I was a huge smartass. A male nurse asked me how I was feeling one day when the sedation was reduced and apparently I scrawled on the little marker board "great dude wanna grab a brewski?" I also apparently kept writing notes asking how my students were doing and wanting to know if they'd gotten their assignments.

When I woke up, the breathing tube was still in. Over the next few days it was a bit of a "game" as tubes were removed from me. A small celebration every time there was one less tube. When I woke up I had:
-breathing tube (can't talk)
-feeding tube
-oxygen tube in nose
-central IV in neck
-urinary catheter
-IV in one wrist
-arterial blood line to monitor blood pressure and oxygen

The breathing tube came out first. The nurse told me "when I remove this, try not to talk too much for a while, you'll be a little hoarse." Me, after tube removed, speaking for the first time in several days: "could I be a big horse??" I was on oxygen the rest of the time. They stepped my flow down slowly. I remember several times struggling to breathe as they gradually weaned me off.

All of that wasn't so bad. The recovery after coming off the vent was much, much worse. It turned out I had both a viral pneumonia (HKU1 coronavirus) and bacterial (strep) at the same time and I'd ended up really sick from not taking care of myself. I was on antibiotics as well as steroids (prednisone) to reduce inflammation and lemme tell you, gently caress high dose steroids. I had to deal with both steroid psychosis and six weeks of slow withdrawal and tapering.

Steroids make you feel amazing, on top of the world. You also can't sleep. So here I was coming off three days on the vent during which I didn't really actually sleep. I was manic. I felt amazing! I couldn't sleep. I was awake for more than 24 hours straight after coming off the vent. They gave me Ambien, didn't help me sleep, I just had visual hallucinations for six hours. Then the psychosis came. I started hallucinating extended conversations between three nurses just outside my hospital room door. They were plotting to kill me in my sleep. These auditory hallucinations were so realistic I was absolutely convinced I was going to be murdered by nurses. I couldn't sleep because the shadows were nurses surrounding me in my bed and talking about how to kill me and get away with it. Eventually I did manage to sleep, but the doctors were concerned I might have brain damage so I went for an MRI. It turned out I was mostly fine, but I had suffered a very very minor stroke (the tiniest stroke the neurologist had ever seen) when I was on the ventilator, which is common. It's very easy to get a small clot in your legs when you're sedated and have it shoot up into your brain.

A week after coming off the vent I went home. I had to slowly taper off of the steroids over six weeks because of the withdrawal. I had deep fatigue, but also trouble sleeping. The joint pain was the worst. My knees ached so badly I couldn't walk. Two nights I tapered my dose too quickly and I laid there awake all night literally screaming and sobbing because every joint in my body was on fire. I was puffy from water retention.

Eventually I got off the steroids. It took me another couple months to regain full mobility, I was using a walker for a few weeks then very slowly managed to walk normally.

:stare:

You’d have died in any non developed country dude

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I guess it's also why you boil and/or peel potatoes before eating them.

(Did you know potatoes grow IN DIRT!!`?!!! They put fertilizer on them, which is made FROM ANIMAL poo poo!!!!!)

I mean, if you were complaining about apples, you would have a point.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

(Did you know potatoes grow IN DIRT!!`?!!! They put fertilizer on them, which is made FROM ANIMAL poo poo!!!!!)

You shouldn't boil potatoes, it's bad for them.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

The issue with potatos isn't fecal matter.

It's a toxin, solanine, that can grow on raw potatos. In general, if you see a green part cut it off.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Stop peeling your potatoes, that's where all of the nutrients and flavor is lol

and boiling vegetables is like the worst way to cook them too, like literally last resort "I have nothing but a pot and some water and need to cook these vegetables"

You should wash vegetables and fruits with edible skins, cause people are disgusting and nature is loving disgusting. This was true before covid as well lol I can't believe that people just bring home apples from the store and eat them right away, the very same apples that I've sensually licked and kissed, I'm there doing it in your store every night and no one seems to notice or care

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Holy poo poo, first it's this covid nonsense and you want me to stop going to restaurants, now you want me to learn basic food safety myself??????

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
You mean you dont eat your potatoes raw?

I just swallow them whole, like I'm a pelican

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
People have told me about some bullshit they call "cooking" but I don't believe them. Everything is scavenged, and one day I will find a miscellaneous soups deposit of my own and open a restaurant.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

:stare:

You’d have died in any non developed country dude

yup! I almost died anyway. If my parents hadn't hauled my rear end to the ER I'd be dead, full stop. Not to mention how bad ending up on a ventilator is, your chances of survival on a vent are already not great.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The science evolved!!

https://twitter.com/HeartlandSignal/status/1468721106068680708

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
So as mentioned before we're going to Florida.

I told my wife that if we went she might die as she has MS and is somewhat immunocompromised.

She responded by getting extra life insurance.

I just my pfizer booster Tuesday, and she had her third pfizer dose on the same day. We wear p100 rubber respirators.

So, since we're going to Florida, and they have the Regeneron clinics, can we, like, just get it?

It helps stop you getting Covid, doesn't it?

She tried to get it here, but her neurologist couldn't push it through.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I wouldn't count on the booster kicking in within a week. Regeneron can be a preventive so I guess, since you're going regardless and they're handing it out, why not try for it. They may require you to have symptoms or test positive, so I wouldn't count on getting it, but it's worth a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Regeneron’s EUA covers post-exposure prophylaxis, but not pre-exposure prophylaxis.

That is, a doctor can give it to you the next day if your aunt crashes Christmas with a “cold” that is actually COVID, but they’re not supposed to juice you up prior to entering the plague wastes formerly known as “Florida”.