Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
did you screws_tilt_calibrate ? hot bed for a while ?

even with that I have a .18 variance at the probe points, but im not chasing the 0.02 adjustment that is left with the screws (but i did)
There is a bit of a debate on if you need to save the mesh after its generated, or if klipper will use the one saved to default. OR, is it using the one in default when it first started, and your nw default needs to be saved / klipper restarted for it to pick it up.

I currently have no G29 in my start gcode, as i just can quickly hit the button before a fresh print day, i dont need it back to back prints. Fluiddpi is better in this regard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Roundboy posted:

did you screws_tilt_calibrate ? hot bed for a while ?

even with that I have a .18 variance at the probe points, but im not chasing the 0.02 adjustment that is left with the screws (but i did)
There is a bit of a debate on if you need to save the mesh after its generated, or if klipper will use the one saved to default. OR, is it using the one in default when it first started, and your nw default needs to be saved / klipper restarted for it to pick it up.

I currently have no G29 in my start gcode, as i just can quickly hit the button before a fresh print day, i dont need it back to back prints. Fluiddpi is better in this regard.

Yeah this was before I did anything but manually level before calibrating. Bed had just got to temp and this checks out with how it felt papering under the nozzle around the bed.

After a round of tape I'm down to .17, a few super low points I'm going to hit and just call it good.

It seems to use the last mesh automatically, cause my first bed print test after a restart was pretty decent except in the most insane corner.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Wanderless posted:

We just got a Carbon M2 at work. I'm cautiously looking forward to printing some interesting parts, very quickly.

Cool, I'd be really interested in hearing about what they're like to work with from someone who's actually been there, done that with one.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Bondematt posted:

Yeah this was before I did anything but manually level before calibrating. Bed had just got to temp and this checks out with how it felt papering under the nozzle around the bed.

After a round of tape I'm down to .17, a few super low points I'm going to hit and just call it good.

It seems to use the last mesh automatically, cause my first bed print test after a restart was pretty decent except in the most insane corner.

Splitting hairs but I think most thermistors for the bed are right at the heater, so your 'bed' getting up to temp is just reporting your heater is up to temp. It takes a bit for that chunk of metal / glass / what have you to evenly heat up and soak

literally from my console:

quote:

09:46:02
// Mesh Bed Leveling Complete
09:46:02
// Bed Mesh state has been saved to profile [default]
// for the current session. The SAVE_CONFIG command will
// update the printer config file and restart the printer.

So the mesh is saved to default, and its being used now. But i need to save config if i want to use it on restart? .... but I am using the default and only profile, so on restart the profile will just be loaded. Unless this is bad wording and really means any other specified profile?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Wanderless posted:

We just got a Carbon M2 at work. I'm cautiously looking forward to printing some interesting parts, very quickly.

Man I wish I could play with a $50,000/year printer (plus materials).

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
I'm looking at getting my first resin printer

I'm leaning towards the elegoo Saturn for the larger build plate but the few YouTube reviews I've seen seem to say it's quality isn't as good as the mars 2 pro, let alone the Mars 3.

I'm coming from fdm so the quality will still be way ahead of what I'm used to but wondering if there are any goons who have experience with both the Mars 3 and the Saturn 4k they can share?

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
because people were talking about hollowing out resin and how to add holes/drainage earlier, here's what one of my particularly-intense implementations looks like. i'm making custom wax seal stamps for people for christmas using a mold design with interchangeable design plates and just ran a resin prototype, which i hollowed out for $aving$. i added five drainage holes, two sets of hole pairs on opposite faces of the stamp sides, and one more on the end of the 'handle', all 3mm before post-cure shrinkage. you can only see one of em here

normally i'd do 2 or maybe 3 larger (~5+mm) holes in more discreet places, and then leave them open, but i wanted to try something involving this 3mm brass rod i have

short plugs of brass rod press-fit quite tidily into the drain holes, it turns out, and imo has a lot of potential as a Deliberate Design Feature to effectively conceal even very aggressive drainage in hollowed-out models. proper rivets made from cut-down tacks would work even better b/c it'd provide a finished head that'd completely conceal the hole

Ambrose Burnside fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Dec 8, 2021

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Tea Bone posted:

I'm leaning towards the elegoo Saturn for the larger build plate but the few YouTube reviews I've seen seem to say it's quality isn't as good as the mars 2 pro, let alone the Mars 3.

I'm coming from fdm so the quality will still be way ahead of what I'm used to but wondering if there are any goons who have experience with both the Mars 3 and the Saturn 4k they can share?

I just bought a Saturn coming from fdm printer. I am still getting it dialed in and there is a learning curve to printing with resin (don’t ruin your fep on your third print by gouging the poo poo out of it trying to scrape off a failed print). However the detail in resin prints is night and day difference. It’s been great and I plan on printing a ton of miniatures and DnD stuff with my son over this Christmas.

I too was considering a Mars 3 but the print bed size difference meant I could do terrain in resin too which was the tipping point for me.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I've only had the Saturn and the og Mars, but the Saturn I got had worked amazingly well. Literally no problems that weren't caused by me being a dumbass.

In short, I thought I had a fep leak and removed the vat and ran the screen to see if there was resin I could bake on the screen and peel, but had the build plate still attached and it was still wet with resin, so guess what cured to the build plate and had to be scraped off and hit with a metal polisher? It taught me that resin cures REAL FAST. It also taught me I was an idiot. Printer was fine.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Clogs and feeding issues can be intermittent like that - say for example your temperature is just a tiny bit low, all you need is a breeze just at the point you start printing an outside wall and that can bring the temp down enough to make the back-pressure too much for the extruder to handle, or a poorly-routed tube that kinks when the head does a certain sequence of moves, or a nozzle not quite tight enough to get constant temperature transfer, or a combination of all of those things - that's you you do the basic, simple checks first. I'd normally say just bump the temp up 10 degrees and go again but as you say it's happening on bigger prints you might as well do the normal servicing routine first *and* bump the temp up just to be on the safe side.

Assuming it's a normal set up you shouldn't need to to much dismantling - unload the filament, remove the nozzle and clean it (heat gun and needle or blowtorch and guitar string if you're feeling ghetto), pull the bowden tube out and check it's not damaged (there's normally a little ring you need to press down on the nut to pull it), screwdriver or allen key up into the bowden to check it's not clogged.

One thing to look out for is different heatsink/block/nozzle configurations might have very different ways the bowden is supposed to terminate - AFAIK Prusa do a through-tube arrangement which is the most common one. If so once you've checked it (and cut the end square if needed - you can get dedicated cutters for this but I find a Stanley blade and a steady hand more than good enough), with the hotend up to temp, screw the nozzle to finger-tight (obviously don't actually use fingers because, you know, hot metal) then back it off a quarter-turn, feed the bowden back in until it's reached the nozzle, then tighten the nozzle up a half turn (don't force it if it won't turn more than a quarter-turn).

While you're doing all this just give everything a once-over, in particular make sure the bowden isn't kinking (they're generally supplied slightly long to avoid this but this can itself be problematic if they're attached to the loom - which travels a slightly different path - in the wrong way, or too tightly. Someone else has already mentioned over-cooling can be problematic, but bumping temps up a bit should solve that problem but might give you inconsistent results if it is the problem, then you have to look at tweaking fan speeds.

I did a "cold pull" on it per the prusa website's directions then recalibrated XYZ, and gave the outside of the nozzle a little scrubby scrub with a brass brush. I also found the tension screw was set too far in.

It still had a hiccup about 2/3 through, but recovered with a bit of extra pressure on the filament. I'm running one unattended now so we'll see if it fails, but it looks like we're moving in the right direction and I'll take it apart more fully if the failures persist.

Thanks again!

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I managed to get my variance down half a layer thickness on my v0, it's getting there.

https://i.imgur.com/kPhy4vs.gifv

Love this speedy guy

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4694654

Fun little thing I found on thingiverse - a gift card holder that you have to solve a maze to open. Works pretty well even with cheap crappy filament and fast printing, and can even be personalised with the customiser on the website (or with the SCAD file the creator included). I find it works perfectly well (although not as satisfyingly) without the slider, which saves a fair bit of post-processing.

Currently whipping up a big batch of them in suitably festive red - thought I'd let you know now before I get stabbed on Christmas day by my family for making them work for the lovely gift cards I've given them all.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Tea Bone posted:

I have a Saturn and have printed many a wargaming miniature off of it with no issues whatsoever in terms of quality. No experience with the Mars 3, but I've heard a few grumblings about it having a wobbly Z axis z which would definitely impact print quality (as well as lead to potential resin spills, I would imagine).

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

goddamnedtwisto posted:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4694654

Fun little thing I found on thingiverse - a gift card holder that you have to solve a maze to open. Works pretty well even with cheap crappy filament and fast printing, and can even be personalised with the customiser on the website (or with the SCAD file the creator included). I find it works perfectly well (although not as satisfyingly) without the slider, which saves a fair bit of post-processing.

Currently whipping up a big batch of them in suitably festive red - thought I'd let you know now before I get stabbed on Christmas day by my family for making them work for the lovely gift cards I've given them all.

There's also this if you prefer cold hard cash

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:201097

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

BMan posted:

There's also this if you prefer cold hard cash

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:201097

Awesome, might have to do one of those for the print-only voucher my niece insisted on (although my first instinct was to actually 3D print a credit-card size thing with the number embossed on it, because I don't actually have a working 2D printer right now)

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

I've had my Ender 3 for a few months now and have liked it so far. Today I noticed the bottom layer (against the glass bed) looks a bit squiggley. Should I be trying to get my nozzle a bit closer to flatten it out, or is this about right?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Looks a touch high to me. Not too far off though.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Hmm. bring the printer down for a tune up and replacement shroud and fans, or start a 24 print ?

we all know the answer

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Tea Bone posted:

I print on Mars 2 Pros, Mars 3, and Mono X, but have used Saturns extensively as well. I fully believe 99.9% of people who say "X is better than Y" when it comes to resin printing are not coming up with proper scientific tests. I did a whole series of tests recently on my Mars 2, Mars 3, and Mono X where each machine had a brand new FEP, same resin, same printing temperatures, and same miniatures to print. I accidentally screwed up on the first print and got them mixed up before I could label which came from which printer. I have professional macro photography gear that is capable of super close images and I was unable to detect any real differences between the different prints.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
Look at this moron putting this poo poo up for uninformed people to see and think wow aerosolising UV resin with no PPE gives amazing results!

https://youtu.be/OziH3Y2ySNo

He was deleting comments from anyone pointing out how dangerous this is, and now has that single comment on the video which is is pretty laughable and does not in any way convey the danger of what he’s showing in the vid.

snail
Sep 25, 2008

CHEESE!

Roundboy posted:

Hmm. bring the printer down for a tune up and replacement shroud and fans, or start a 24 print ?

we all know the answer

You'll end up accepting the parts, build the Voron, run off your first prints, and immediately prepare a list of parts you'll reprint on the Voron.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Look at this moron putting this poo poo up for uninformed people to see and think wow aerosolising UV resin with no PPE gives amazing results!

He was deleting comments from anyone pointing out how dangerous this is, and now has that single comment on the video which is is pretty laughable and does not in any way convey the danger of what he’s showing in the vid.

Uuuuuhhhhh.

UUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHH.

What's the best way to report the video? Dangerous/harmful?

Someone's gonna get all the cancer from doing that BS, and its not going to be that jackass.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Ah, but he's wearing gloves when cleaning it because alcohol is dangerous.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Bondematt posted:

Uuuuuhhhhh.

UUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHH.

What's the best way to report the video? Dangerous/harmful?

Someone's gonna get all the cancer from doing that BS, and its not going to be that jackass.

Report > Harmful or dangerous acts > Other dangerous acts > Details (with an option to timestamp the specific spot for a dangerous act).

I'm trying to decide whether I want to spend the time timestamping every single time he does something stupid in the video and I'm leaning towards just hoping more than one of us report the fucker.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

Hekk posted:

I just bought a Saturn coming from fdm printer. I am still getting it dialed in and there is a learning curve to printing with resin (don’t ruin your fep on your third print by gouging the poo poo out of it trying to scrape off a failed print). However the detail in resin prints is night and day difference. It’s been great and I plan on printing a ton of miniatures and DnD stuff with my son over this Christmas.

I too was considering a Mars 3 but the print bed size difference meant I could do terrain in resin too which was the tipping point for me.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I have a Saturn and have printed many a wargaming miniature off of it with no issues whatsoever in terms of quality. No experience with the Mars 3, but I've heard a few grumblings about it having a wobbly Z axis z which would definitely impact print quality (as well as lead to potential resin spills, I would imagine).

Thanks, looks like I'm going to go for the Saturn then.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

snail posted:

You'll end up accepting the parts, build the Voron, run off your first prints, and immediately prepare a list of parts you'll reprint on the Voron.

Actually whoops I meant to say 24 hour print, which dropped to 20 with infill changes

My 2.4 pif queue is dropping like a rock so I feel I need to get solid on what other stuff I am ordering. It's not real until parts start coming in

EDIT: 6 hours in and i come down to spaghetti. But looking at the slicing it looks like its just support stuff that went wonky and I really didnt need it on that side. I was just lazy to block it out. Continuing the print

Roundboy fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Dec 9, 2021

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Here4DaGangBang posted:

YouTube jackass posted:

I tried to upload an additional video at the beginning of this one to explain that and apparently I can't. Accept my apologies that I didn't clarify that in the original video.

man, its a real shame you can't take down YouTube videos and upload new new ones, huh? :jerkbag:

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
4:13 he does have a disclaimer to do it in a well ventilated area with a respirator an gloves. And then does none of those things.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

How "safe" is 99% IPA that's been used to clean resin? Is it an "Oh poo poo clean it asap" thing if you splash some on your arm or workarea, or is it more of a "finish what you're doing and wash your arm/workstation after"?

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Randalor posted:

How "safe" is 99% IPA that's been used to clean resin? Is it an "Oh poo poo clean it asap" thing if you splash some on your arm or workarea, or is it more of a "finish what you're doing and wash your arm/workstation after"?

I'm not a chemist, but I can tell you that I break out in hives wherever I get the tiniest drop of resin IPA on my skin, so I'm assuming it's pretty bad.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Alright. I'm convinced. Resin printers and resin shouldn't be available to the general public. I can give up my cheap as hell minis.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Here4DaGangBang posted:

I watched that video not too long ago, it was literally horror movie-levels of me increasingly going "no, oh no, don't do that you loving idiot :stonk:" when I saw it.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Paradoxish posted:

Alright. I'm convinced. Resin printers and resin shouldn't be available to the general public. I can give up my cheap as hell minis.

What do you mean? How bad could it... I'm sorry, the video is titled what? I didn't even watch it, just loaded to video to see the title and already I'm recoiling in terror.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
What is the limit or relationship between a model and a printers quality?

I printed a model https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:38863
at 'normal' size of 2" maybe and its perfectly fine. Sized in Cura direct.

Because I can, I scaled it up as big as i could to fit my bed size, so overall its printed well but i want to understand if what I am seeing is slicer vs printer vs just the model itself. As I understand it it was just a blender model made into an STL file so its not optimized and making it larger exacerbates small curves not smooth , etc

I think this is maybe the slicer not giving proper movements for curves? Or the resolution of the curve in the model is so low it shows t scaled up

This seems more printer tuning vs the others :

I'm okay with post processing, I just want to know what i can realistically handle before hand

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The little zits and ripples are printer tuning issues. The larger polygonal grid across the entire model is the actual polygon mesh of the STL, which you correctly note is a little bit too low-res for a model of that size. It's a modeling issue, not a slicer thing.

There isn't a really good way of getting rid of that polygon mesh other than rebuilding it at higher resolution. You can try running a subdivide algorithm on it in blender, which will smooth out the edges, but may also lose detail or cause distortions in some areas.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Dec 9, 2021

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Subscribed! Looking forward to watching the deterioration of his brain as the resin mist works its way through his system.

Completely off topic, but does anyone know what giant UV light he's using in this video? I am looking for one like that.

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo
What does resin mist actually do to you anyway? Everyone acts like it's plutonium but what's the deal? I know it sensitizes you to resin, I'm assuming the standard wrecked kidneys and cancer?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

InternetJunky posted:

Subscribed! Looking forward to watching the deterioration of his brain as the resin mist works its way through his system.

Completely off topic, but does anyone know what giant UV light he's using in this video? I am looking for one like that.

It's one of these - I have this model. There are a ton of different variations out there though.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07X5VT56K/

It's great for curing shop towels, supports, and other waste material.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Wang Commander posted:

What does resin mist actually do to you anyway? Everyone acts like it's plutonium but what's the deal? I know it sensitizes you to resin, I'm assuming the standard wrecked kidneys and cancer?

UV resin cures under daylight conditions, right?

Consider that your skin does not 100% block UV radiation and how thin your nose tissues are.

Now imagine resin curing on the mucus membranes in your nose and the toxic outgassing of the curing process going directly into your bloodstream.

Or doing this with aerosolized droplets on your eyes because you aren't wearing eye protection.

YouTube guy is in for a bad time if he does that too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Wang Commander posted:

For me, even with PPE, it made me breakout pretty good for a couple days.