Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

euphronius posted:

Look where Cato's son died for gods sake.

what the gently caress are you talking about he died in the hunger games before he could have kids

Single and LOVING IT posted:

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1469321887402635267

But enjoy the weekend, don't worry about masks until Monday.

the vaccines are good but I don't get why they think they're so good that they're a replacement for masks inside a busy restaurant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

:hmmrona:

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

Elea posted:

Wakes up nice and vaccinated, starts mildly spreading a breakthrough infection to an 70 year old grandma raising her dead daughters children. Covid is over baby.

That’s not possible

https://twitter.com/albertbourla/status/1377618480527257606?s=21

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

what the gently caress are you talking about he died in the hunger games before he could have kids

the vaccines are good but I don't get why they think they're so good that they're a replacement for masks inside a busy restaurant.

theyre liberals op

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

:denmark: 1,280 o7

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

this is horseshit and was ripped apart by med twitter days ago btw

https://twitter.com/firefoxx66/status/1468254350124494852

It says all that in the article, though.

Serf
May 5, 2011

i work at a college and in the past week i've gotten notices that two of my students have died. this is loving bizarre. 7 years of working here and this has never happened

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
How do you even find a stealth variant without doing, like, full genetic sequencing? Like as a non-science knower I was under the impression the way you diagnose pathogenic diseases was basically, in order of increasing accuracy
1. Match the patient's symptoms to the symptom profiles of known diseases. If the patient presents with the symptoms of disease X, then it's probably safe to assume they have disease X.
2. Do a diagnostic test that specifically tests for one or more known diseases that match the patient's symptoms. If the patient presents a sore throat, do a throat culture and see if they have strep.
3. YOLO bitches, full genetic sequencing or whatever.

Like I assume we're not doing 3 on the regular, and the PCR stuff would be 2, no? So if there was a stealth variant going around, how would we even know? Wouldn't it just be a case of example 1 above going unreported/uncommented on? LIke the whole thing with the UK having tons of people presenting the symptoms of COVID but popping negative?

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Serf posted:

i work at a college and in the past week i've gotten notices that two of my students have died. this is loving bizarre. 7 years of working here and this has never happened

Were they unhealthy? They probably had existing conditions. And even if they didn't, I'm sure their cases were mild.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

it’s worse than being silent on it - they say ‘face coverings are recommended if you aren’t fully vaccinated’

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Serf posted:

lockdowns kill

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/MonicaGandhi9/status/1469326271331004422?s=20

And a retweet from her
https://twitter.com/JVergales/status/1469321627955511299?s=20

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Thoguh posted:

it’s worse than being silent on it - they say ‘face coverings are recommended if you aren’t fully vaccinated’

The only context in which “face coverings” rather than respirators should be used is when you are eating ortolan buntings.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

“Immune” is doing a lot of work here.

Testvan
Nov 10, 2003
the local paper is still saying has or doesn't have an "underlying condition" when reporting covid deaths
because that makes the death less sad!

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Here's the third Great Barrington person I don't report much
https://twitter.com/talkRADIO/status/1468119973315100676?s=20

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

https://twitter.com/Chinchillazllla/status/1469183482798747650

Testvan
Nov 10, 2003

quote:

Hospital data show that COVID-19 admissions are now rising sharply in more than half of the country's nine provinces, but deaths are not rising as dramatically and indicators such as the median length of hospital stay are reassuring.

lol lmao

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

How do you even find a stealth variant without doing, like, full genetic sequencing? Like as a non-science knower I was under the impression the way you diagnose pathogenic diseases was basically, in order of increasing accuracy
1. Match the patient's symptoms to the symptom profiles of known diseases. If the patient presents with the symptoms of disease X, then it's probably safe to assume they have disease X.
2. Do a diagnostic test that specifically tests for one or more known diseases that match the patient's symptoms. If the patient presents a sore throat, do a throat culture and see if they have strep.

Like I assume we're not doing 3 on the regular, and the PCR stuff would be 2, no? So if there was a stealth variant going around, how would we even know? Wouldn't it just be a case of example 1 above going unreported/uncommented on? LIke the whole thing with the UK having tons of people presenting the symptoms of COVID but popping negative?

If you're talking about the omicron thing, it still comes up on PCR as COVID. It just doesn't have a genetic change that makes it easy to identify it specifically as omicron in a PCR test.

If we're talking a full stealth variant that doesn't show up on the existing PCR tests at all, somebody would have to notice it and develop a new test for it.

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Kreeblah posted:

If we're talking a full stealth variant that doesn't show up on the existing PCR tests at all, somebody would have to notice it and develop a new test for it.

Yeah the start of something like that is “pneumonia of unknown origin detected in <city>”.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

wonder when UKHSA will publish this data:
https://twitter.com/SkyNewsBreak/status/1469345084336394250

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

There have already been PCR-undetectable variants in Finland and France, I assume they diagnosed it by other means. IIRC, China was using CT before they had reliable tests.

The "Stealth" Omicron just isn't showing up as Omicron on the variant-PCR, it's still identifiable as COVID. Given that it will dominate in a weeks anyway, I think it just makes it difficult to determine how fast that's actually happening.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

wild, that matches the boston waste water data spike too. this is one of the carolinas right?

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

this guy is a winner

https://twitter.com/jvergales/status/1469335450800336897?s=21

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

nothing but absolute mouth breathers in the replies as far as the eye can see

this country is full of belligerent, hoglike morons and I can't loving stand it

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

if some sentinel testing operation is doing full sequencing on the right kind of sample (spread out geographically idk I'm not an epidemiologist) then you find the regions of variation between the new strain and the old strain then either make a primer set targeted at the region of variation so PCR only amplifies the new strain. if you want to have prevention of false negatives, you can look for restriction enzyme cleavage sites in the region of variation, target primer sets around that so that the region is amplified on both new and old strains, then apply your restriction enzyme which will cleave only the new strain while leaving the old strain intact. you can then run them out on gels and see the shorter strands of the new strain speed ahead and differentiate themselves from the slower, longer, older strain's amplified RNA. at least that's one way you could do it, might be some new fangled approach that's faster. the point is that you really only gotta do a full sequence on a new strain once and then identification is just a matter of cranking out primers and sending them to places that do PCR testing

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

mod sassinator posted:

wild, that matches the boston waste water data spike too. this is one of the carolinas right?

No it's Maine

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Testvan posted:

the local paper is still saying has or doesn't have an "underlying condition" when reporting covid deaths
because that makes the death less sad!

I'm a young and healthy mid 30s person but because I have asthma I'd be considered as having an 'underlying condition' which makes it sound like I'm just constantly on the brink of death

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1469347665934753795

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
first time they've been this high in cases all year, they're officially climbing past the peak of their delta surge now
https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1469339323816456196

seems bad!

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Thoguh posted:

That rule is perfectly designed to allow the unvaxed to get away with not masking

Not to mention vaccinated people are still pretty easily infected!

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Dec 10, 2021

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
also holy loving poo poo this is WEIRD

https://www.statnews.com/2021/12/10/fauci-says-omicron-specific-version-of-covid-19-vaccines-may-not-be-necessary/

quote:

Fauci says Omicron-specific version of Covid-19 vaccines may not be necessary

Anthony Fauci isn’t convinced Covid-19 vaccine manufacturers are going to need to produce an Omicron-specific version of their vaccines.

Rather, the long-time director of the National Institutes of Allergy and Infectious Diseases suggested to STAT in an interview Thursday, it’s possible the current vaccines will provide enough protection against the new variant for most vaccinated and boosted individuals.

Fauci stressed that he was hypothesizing, based on how the vaccines have held up against other SARS-CoV-2 variants. Studies will need to be done, he insisted. And manufacturers are working on and will test versions of their vaccines based on the mutation-studded Omicron spike protein. That’s prudent, he said.

“The companies are going to be making variant specific boosters,” Fauci told STAT. But “what I think is something that we need to keep our eye on [is] it could be that things turn out better than we expected.”

so in the last 48 hours we have gone from the CEOs of every vaccine manufacturer explicitly saying "Yes we can and will make omicron boosters in 100 days, this is what we're good at let us get to work and we WILL fix it" to then saying "You know we don't think omicron boosters are necessary and are going to wait for more data before proceeding"

now Fauci is agreeing and saying maybe we don't need boosters

what the gently caress

something is up--the boosters are dead in the water folks. do not pin hopes on an omicron booster. they will never see the light of day

Death Panel Czar
Apr 1, 2012

Too dangerous for a full sensory injection... That level of shitposting means they're almost non-human!
so glad there's a bunch of braphogs throwing a christmas party in the office today and we're not allowed to enforce our goddamned mask policy, so I get to sit here and listen to them hack and wheeze all day

I work for a health org

sitting here screaming "DEATH" like the mutants at the end of Heavy Metal

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

You'll all be happy to hear that we're reevaluating the ban on mink farms in early 2022. The current ban is set to be lifted on January 1, 2023.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Platystemon posted:

Yeah the start of something like that is “pneumonia of unknown origin detected in <city>”.

Yeah. I think a lot of people forget that this is how this all got going. Some dude in China had a patient with pneumonia and was like, "Hmmm. This looks weird." And then we were off to the races.

Brogeoisie
Jan 12, 2005

"Look, I'm a private citizen," he said. "One thing that I don't have to do is sit here and open my kimono as it relates to how much money I make or didn't."

mod sassinator posted:

also holy loving poo poo this is WEIRD

https://www.statnews.com/2021/12/10/fauci-says-omicron-specific-version-of-covid-19-vaccines-may-not-be-necessary/

so in the last 48 hours we have gone from the CEOs of every vaccine manufacturer explicitly saying "Yes we can and will make omicron boosters in 100 days, this is what we're good at let us get to work and we WILL fix it" to then saying "You know we don't think omicron boosters are necessary and are going to wait for more data before proceeding"

now Fauci is agreeing and saying maybe we don't need boosters

what the gently caress

something is up--the boosters are dead in the water folks. do not pin hopes on an omicron booster. they will never see the light of day

What could this even mean?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Testvan posted:

lol lmao

but where are the hospitalizations

but where are the deaths

but how do you know their deaths weren't mild

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Harsh life, mild death

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

protection from death? infection? what?? which vaccine?!